PDA

View Full Version : Corey May Podcast?? (There's no podcast inside, it's a request to Loomer)

Assassin_M
04-05-2014, 06:00 PM
Anyone ever wanted a podcast featuring Corey May?? I feel like Darby, Jeffery and many others got their chance to talk about their creations, what their intentions were when creating their ideas, how they created these things...etc. We'v never heard Corey speak about AC III. There're so many things i'm sure many people would love to ask him...I have questions myself..

So....Loomer...anyone...can you do this if it's popular enough? I know you're busy right now with Mary Reed's VA's Podcast but you know....just throwing ideas out there.

poptartz20
04-05-2014, 06:10 PM
Aye!

I second this here motion! I was thinking about it myself! in the other thread! I think now that AC3 has had time to be almost 2 years old now and settled it can be appreciated by some a little more! I would also like to ask questions as well! :D

Hopefully this can be a "thing" for real! Should there be a poll on this? (Not that it would matter but maybe something as a visual?)

I-Like-Pie45
04-05-2014, 06:11 PM
I don't think Loomer or the internet could handle Corey's rage powers in this form

His powers may very well crash YouTube permanently should such a podcast be attempted.

Assassin_M
04-05-2014, 06:12 PM
Aye!

I second this here motion! I was thinking about it myself! in the other thread! I think now that AC3 has had time to be almost 2 years old now and settled it can be appreciated by some a little more! I would also like to ask questions as well! :D

Hopefully this can be a "thing" for real! Should there be a poll on this? (Not that it would matter but maybe something as a visual?)
Hmm...I dunno...Polls can sometimes be dumb...people might vote no for ****s and giggles >_>

poptartz20
04-05-2014, 06:13 PM
and.. these are the reasons why we SHOULD!?

#EPIC

JustPlainQuirky
04-05-2014, 06:14 PM
He'd probably just respond to all questions while yelling like on twitter :rolleyes:

But yeah I'd love one. Can there be a question request thread?

menumaxibestof
04-05-2014, 06:23 PM
In my opinion, writers should never explain what their deep intentions were. Jeffrey Yohalem tried to do it for Far Cry 3 (which was really one of the most complex and interesting game about videogames for a while), everyone spat on him on the internet.

What you need is to learn to analyze and interpret. Or you need to have people to help you for it in a first time. And that should be the role of the video game press : analyzing games through interesting axes, instead of rating them pseudo-objectively....

Plus, remember that a writer can have an intention, but it won't necessarily work. At the opposite, there are things you can see that weren't intended by him. You need to focus on the final product, not the original idea. But for that, you need to train you abilities in analyze by thinking on the meaning of the acts of the characters, their relations between them, the art design, etc... I'm not talking about the more evident layer of the scenario (in case of AC 3, "a naive man who wants peace"), but to dig deeper in the mise en scène ("the american revolution as the representation of the mental conflict of a child torn between his British and Indian origins", for example).

:)

JustPlainQuirky
04-05-2014, 06:28 PM
Posting my questions anyway

Questions:

1.) Did Haytham let himself die? Why did you choose the words "I should have killed you long ago" as Haytham's final words?

2.) In AC: Liberation, when asked if Connor agrees with the assassin methods, he hesitates then responds "I trust my own hands." Just how passionate is Connor towards the Assassin philosophies, specifially after he found his village abandoned?

3.) What would you say is the overall message of AC3 (In terms of Connor's storyline)?

4.) Do you ever wish you could go back and change anything in AC3? If so, what?

5.) Is there any thing in AC3 that you wrote that goes unnoticed or people tend to misinterpret?

6.) Can there be moderates in the Assassin Creed universe? (i.e. people who believe regulation/control in some things and freedom in others?)

Bonus silly question we all know won't get answered:

7.) Connor sequel pls?

In my opinion, writers should never explain what their deep intentions were. Jeffrey Yohalem tried to do it for Far Cry 3 (which was really one of the most complex and interesting game about videogames for a while), everyone spat on him on the internet.

What you need is to learn to analyze and interpret. Or you need to have people to help you for it in a first time. And that should be the role of the video game press : analyzing games through interesting axes, instead of rating them pseudo-objectively....

Plus, remember that a writer can have an intention, but it won't necessarily work. At the opposite, there are things you can see that weren't intended by him. You need to focus on the final product, not the original idea. But for that, you need to train you abilities in analyze by thinking on the meaning of the acts of the characters, their relations between them, the art design, etc... I'm not talking about the more evident layer of the scenario (in case of AC 3, "a naive man who wants peace"), but to dig deeper in the mise en scène ("the american revolution as the representation of the mental conflict of a child torn between his British and Indian origins", for example).

Nah, I don't care if people have a bad reaction. I wanna know specifically what the writer intended to say.

menumaxibestof
04-05-2014, 06:32 PM
I wanna know specifically what the writer intended to say.

Then you spoil the game between him and the audience.

Assassin_M
04-05-2014, 06:32 PM

I mostly agree with this assessment. That's why I actually love AC III's story the most. I loved interpreting things on my own. I loved noticing subtleties, i loved building the blocks to missing pieces. I enjoyed all of that. I enjoyed analyzing Connor's character but i would just like to hear the writer's assessment of all of those things. I mean, sure...i love interpretation but i'd like to hear the writer talk about it too.

jayjay275
04-05-2014, 06:33 PM
My question is: Did you feel as though it was right to kill Desmond, and if so why?

JustPlainQuirky
04-05-2014, 06:33 PM
Then you spoil the game between him and the audience.

99% of people who play AC won't even listen to the podcast. And if they hear the question and don't want to know, they can just skip it.

I genuinely want to know what Corey was trying to say. Nothing wrong with clarification.

menumaxibestof
04-05-2014, 06:41 PM
The better would be an exchange of interpretations with him, rather than a simple Q&A.

For example :
-I love the way you did that / I was intrigued by that thing. I see it like that. Was it intended ?
-Well, blah blah blah...

That could be interesting in that way, for sure.

JustPlainQuirky
04-05-2014, 06:49 PM
The better would be an exchange of interpretations with him, rather than a simple Q&A.

For example :
-I love the way you did that / I was intrigued by that thing. I see it like that. Was it intended ?
-Well, blah blah blah...

That could be interesting in that way, for sure.

That always happens after the questions anyway.

I was listening to darby's 2 part Q&A podcast and that happened a lot after he answered a question.

Usually goes:

-question asked
-writer gives a bit of background then responds intention
-loomer gives his and the fans interpretation
-writer and loomer discuss and clarify the conflicting interpretations

I find the current structure fine and interesting the way it is. best of both worlds IMO :o

oliacr
04-05-2014, 08:19 PM
well, why not.

ACfan443
04-05-2014, 08:37 PM
Loomer did interview Corey at E3 in 2012, but he remained tight lipped about pretty much everything

http://youtu.be/rxm4zWZVG9Y

I don't think it's in Corey's nature to divulge much, so I can't imagine a ~90 minute podcast with the infamous "I'm sorry I can't say anything about that" phrase repeated several times being all that interesting. (unless the questions are pre approved by him of course).

Talking about the main protagonists is great and all, but with Corey I'd love for him to answer the more pressing questions regarding the overarching present day story, and not be hesitant to disclose the nitty gritty details that a lot of fans are itching to know.

It would have to be within reason of course, we wouldn't want him losing his job or facing a lawsuit. But it was only a year ago that Darby made the effort to communicate directly with the forum by openly discussing plot holes and providing explanations for ongoing mysteries, something I don't think Corey would do.

Hans684
04-05-2014, 08:39 PM
You forgot to ask for a podcast with Yves. It was discussed before in one of Loomer's previous threads.

JustPlainQuirky
04-05-2014, 08:44 PM
Loomer did interview Corey at E3 in 2012, but he remained tight lipped about pretty much everything

http://youtu.be/rxm4zWZVG9Y

I don't think it's in Corey's nature to divulge much, so I can't imagine a ~90 minute podcast with the infamous "I'm sorry I can't say anything about that" phrase repeated several times being all that interesting. (unless the questions are pre approved by him of course).

Talking about the main protagonists is great and all, but with Corey I'd love for him to answer the more pressing questions regarding the overarching present day story, and not be hesitant to disclose the nitty gritty details that a lot of fans are itching to know.

It would have to be within reason of course, we wouldn't want him losing his job or facing a lawsuit. But it was only a year ago that Darby made the effort to communicate directly with the forum by openly discussing plot holes and providing explanations for ongoing mysteries, something I don't think Corey would do.

Yeah but AC3 is long out now and I'm sure questions about it can be answered easily without fear of spoiling any future games.

Only question he can't really answer is ones regarding future projects.

lothario-da-be
04-05-2014, 08:47 PM
Loomer should realy do a podcast with him! But I would prefer one with Yves.

JustPlainQuirky
04-05-2014, 08:48 PM
Can someone tell me who Yves is?

SpiritOfNevaeh
04-05-2014, 08:48 PM
Yes, Corey May needs a proper podcast! I think the game has been our long enough now for people not to be spoiled by any questions the fans wants to ask, but I still believe there were many questions that still needed to be answered. Woo! Make it happen! <3

The CEO of Ubi.

http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Yves_Guillemot

lothario-da-be
04-05-2014, 08:51 PM
The destroyer of Assassin's creed

JustPlainQuirky
04-05-2014, 08:54 PM
The CEO of Ubi.

http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Yves_Guillemot

Okay....and what answers could he possibly provide us with without spoiling future projects?

GunnerGalactico
04-05-2014, 08:55 PM

LOL... It would be interesting to hear what he's got to say :p

lothario-da-be
04-05-2014, 08:58 PM
Okay....and what answers could he possibly provide us with without spoiling future projects?
His vision on ac, I am sure his answers would be very interesting/heartbraking.

ACfan443
04-05-2014, 09:00 PM
Yeah but AC3 is long out now and I'm sure questions about it can be answered easily without fear of spoiling any future games.

Only question he can't really answer is ones regarding future projects.

Except, I'm not talking about questions regarding just AC3, I'm talking about the series in general. Loomer confronted him with questions a lot of die hard fans of the series have wanted answers to for a long time (all the way back since the release of the first game), which he flat out refused to comment on.

JustPlainQuirky
04-05-2014, 09:01 PM
Except, I'm not talking about questions regarding just AC3, I'm talking about the series in general. Loomed confronted him with questions a lot of die hard fans of the series have wanted answers to for a long time (all the way back since the release of the first game), which he flat out refused to comment on.

Like what questions?

SpiritOfNevaeh
04-05-2014, 09:02 PM

Doesnt have to be future project, could be any questions about games that already came out.

Except, I'm not talking about questions regarding just AC3, I'm talking about the series in general. Loomed confronted him with questions a lot of die hard fans of the series have wanted answers to for a long time (all the way back since the release of the first game), which he flat out refused to comment on.

Oh I see.

ACfan443
04-05-2014, 09:03 PM
Like what questions?

Relating to the present day story, like I mentioned in my post on the previous page.

I put a link to the interview in that post if you're interested.

JustPlainQuirky
04-05-2014, 09:07 PM
Doesnt have to be future project, could be any questions about games that already came out.

Oh I see.

but those questions are best for corey and darby, no?

Relating to the present day story, like I mentioned in my post on the previous page.

I put a link to the interview in that post if you're interested.

I didn't watch it cuz live interviews w/ face cams make me anxious when watching. Dunno why DX

But i would understand why he wont talk about modern day. thats a continuous thing.

ze_topazio
04-05-2014, 09:19 PM
Corey May doesn't speak we us stinky lowly mortals, he's on a level that we, in our inferiority, can't possible understand.

GunnerGalactico
04-05-2014, 09:25 PM
Corey May doesn't speak we us stinky lowly mortals, he's on a level that we, in our inferiority, can't possible understand.

He just likes to keep people in the dark and not give away any spoilers. In some ways, I understand he has his reasons.

I-Like-Pie45
04-05-2014, 09:25 PM

Corey May is...

RAGE CAVE

We are unworthy of even his scorn.

SixKeys
04-05-2014, 10:13 PM
Would be nice if they could get him, but I imagine Corey is one of the busier people at Ubisoft. He's now heading the Alice department, so he's got a whole different job that probably requires more than just writing.

Jexx21
04-05-2014, 10:40 PM
ragecave tweet without being in all caps: https://twitter.com/RageCave/status/451914692379033600

Black_Widow9
04-05-2014, 11:35 PM
Let's make sure this isn't a "Hey let's bash Corey May" topic.

Some people might not answer all the time for a variety of reasons.

JustPlainQuirky
04-05-2014, 11:42 PM
Was anyone trashing Corey May?

Maybe Yves but I didn't see any Corey hate. :confused:

Assassin_M
04-05-2014, 11:44 PM
Let's make sure this isn't a "Hey let's bash Corey May" topic.

Some people might not answer all the time for a variety of reasons.
I hope it doesn't come to that because it's obviously not my intention, I really want this to happen D:

JustPlainQuirky
04-05-2014, 11:46 PM
I also really want a Corey May interview podcast.

I'm out of assassin podcasts to listen to. Its so interesting to hear while I work :o

Black_Widow9
04-06-2014, 02:16 AM
I really meant because of his Twitter and the comments directed towards that. Loomer would do an amazing podcast with all of your questions, if he agreed, I have no doubt about that. ;)

JustPlainQuirky
04-06-2014, 02:18 AM
I really meant because of his Twitter and the comments directed towards that. Loomer would do an amazing podcast with all of your questions, if he agreed, I have no doubt about that. ;)

Oh well Corey calling himself the rage cave and typing in all caps is just what he does. Don't mean nothing mean by it. And I agree ;)

loomer979
04-06-2014, 05:43 AM
Hey everyone, thanks for the feedback. As you can probably imagine I've been interested in discussing AC3 post-release with Corey for quite a while. It's been brought up before and gone through some potential iterations but it's been hard to nail down. Fundamentally one of the big blockers is that I want to do a podcast that's totally open and honest about not just the positive, but also some of the more negative aspects/reactions to AC3 (done in a completely honest and respectful way of course). That sort of thing is pretty tricky and delicate to handle in a way that everyone at Ubisoft is ok with (understandably). I'm still hopeful that someday enough time will have passed that we can make it work... we'll see.

Also, Corey isn't yelling when he tweets in all caps; he just likes the symmetry of capital letters. :)

Regarding Yves, I like the idea and would love to do an interview with him including fan questions. As I mentioned the first time this idea was brought up, I've briefly chatted with him at the last couple E3s and he really cares about the fans. I'll see if something can be set up (for this year's E3 maybe?), but I wouldn't hold my breath. It's a pretty tall order as you can imagine.

JustPlainQuirky
04-06-2014, 05:50 AM
Hey everyone, thanks for the feedback. As you can probably imagine I've been interested in discussing AC3 post-release with Corey for quite a while. It's been brought up before and gone through some potential iterations but it's been hard to nail down. Fundamentally one of the big blockers is that I want to do a podcast that's totally open and honest about not just the positive, but also some of the more negative aspects/reactions to AC3 (done in a completely honest and respectful way of course). That sort of thing is pretty tricky and delicate to handle in a way that everyone at Ubisoft is ok with (understandably). I'm still hopeful that someday enough time will have passed that we can make it work... we'll see.

Also, Corey isn't yelling when he tweets in all caps; he just likes the symmetry of capital letters. :)

Regarding Yves, I like the idea and would love to do an interview with him including fan questions. As I mentioned the first time this idea was brought up, I've briefly chatted with him at the last couple E3s and he really cares about the fans. I'll see if something can be set up (for this year's E3 maybe?), but I wouldn't hold my breath. It's a pretty tall order as you can imagine.

Oh I see.

AC3 may have not had the best reception but it's still the best selling, no? So that shouldn't be too big of a deal when discussing the reception when the success was still there IMO. Plus it probably has the most dedicated fans of the franchise~ But I understand what you mean.

And yeah I know he isn't yelling, it's just that my mind reads all caps as yelling automatically. So whenever I read his tweets I imagine a loud purposly obnoxious voice. XD

Glad to hear about that. I look forward to the interview with Corey if that happens. I have so many questions :3

poptartz20
04-06-2014, 05:53 AM
Thanks for responding Loomer!

So basically.. we just have to wait. ;_;

JustPlainQuirky
04-06-2014, 06:08 AM
I like how people on these forums have direct access to members of Ubisoft unlike a lot of other fandoms I follow.

I like that. Makes me feel like I really have an influence on the franchise.

Assassin_M
04-06-2014, 03:16 PM

Ah, thank you so much for responding, Loomer. I would love it if the Podcast was indeed honest while tackling both negatives and positives but in your estimate, when would that be possible? i mean, it's been almost 2 years now since AC III