PDA

View Full Version : Standard is the competitive format and open ist not WHAT?

cyber-raptor67
04-04-2014, 11:05 PM
Hello,

so did i get this right? standard will be the competitive format not open? this dosent make any sens open is way more complex and skilled.... really ubi this shows no understanding of competitiveness at all.
You should either make open the competitive format or just make both. Not having open as a competitive format is one of the biggest mistakes you can make.

Sameji246
04-04-2014, 11:08 PM
You have to be trolling right. Kelthor and Gazal Control isn't complex, or require that much skill.

malkorion
04-04-2014, 11:17 PM
Jason said that Standard will be the officially sanctioned tournament environment, which is understandable. It will be a constantly rotating format. Unless it will be like MtG modern format which is just another Legacy format without the older sets.

cyber-raptor67
04-04-2014, 11:45 PM
Jason said that Standard will be the officially sanctioned tournament environment, which is understandable. It will be a constantly rotating format. Unless it will be like MtG modern format which is just another Legacy format without the older sets.

it sounded like its base set 2 + all cards that will ever come so it just all cards minus the old cards. Less options.

Vengyre
04-06-2014, 10:16 AM
You have to be trolling right. Kelthor and Gazal Control isn't complex, or require that much skill.
Pretty much every competetive deck requires experience, some just can do well without it (Kelthor, Ishuma).

Dsdnv
04-08-2014, 11:57 AM
Standard indeed will be the competitive format. You're right about open being more complicated but that's only because it has more cards and more possible synergies and that's not solely a good thing.

In my eyes having a competitive format with sets periodically cycling out is a good thing mainly for a two reasons:

1) Having a limited cardpool that periodically cycles out keeps things fresh.
2) A limited cardpool is infinitely easier to balance for the dev team. With periodically cycling sets they can create new kinds of cards without having to worry about them being overpowered when combined with some card they created years ago.
3) It limits the powercreep in new sets as they don't have to create better and better cards in order for them to be interesting and playable in competitive format.

cyber-raptor67
04-08-2014, 04:28 PM
Standard indeed will be the competitive format. You're right about open being more complicated but that's only because it has more cards and more possible synergies and that's not solely a good thing.

In my eyes having a competitive format with sets periodically cycling out is a good thing mainly for a two reasons:

1) Having a limited cardpool that periodically cycles out keeps things fresh.
2) A limited cardpool is infinitely easier to balance for the dev team. With periodically cycling sets they can create new kinds of cards without having to worry about them being overpowered when combined with some card they created years ago.
3) It limits the powercreep in new sets as they don't have to create better and better cards in order for them to be interesting and playable in competitive format.

I might have missed it but where did they say that cards will periodically cycel out? I thought that standart will be base set 2 + every card that will ever come from there on so basically all cards minus the current cards that arrent in base set 2.

And there is still no reason why they shouldnt have open as competitive format as well. They could do both. MTG has 6 1vs1 formats and some multiplayer formats as well and it works just fine.

malkorion
04-08-2014, 04:34 PM
I might have missed it but where did they say that cards will periodically cycel out? I thought that standart will be base set 2 + every card that will ever come from there on so basically all cards minus the current cards that arrent in base set 2.

And there is still no reason why they shouldnt have open as competitive format as well. They could do both. MTG has 5 1vs1 formats and some multiplayer formats as well and it works just fine.

If you've ever played MtG, you know that Standard is a format that is constantly changing. But: It could end up like Modern. Only new sets from a certain point. (BS2)