PDA

View Full Version : FMX training. Is it a joke or what?

VengZ
04-04-2014, 08:12 PM
"Try doing what the screen shows"
Who came up with that? How about you tell us how to do that trick? I've been trying for the past 10mins to do what it shows. No luck. It's just doing the same 3-4 tricks over and over. No matter which way my bike faces and what direction my right stick is pointing.

SecretImbecile
04-04-2014, 08:17 PM
Hate to say it but... this ^ :mad:

Morgan189
04-04-2014, 08:34 PM
How about you tell us how to do that trick?

Yep, thought there would be a more in-depth tutorial. I watched a lot of stream from Redlynx and Trials Fusion in general and still i couldnt figure out how it really worked. Played for 30 minutes fmx only, but didnt get how to do the trick i want. I'm not sure how the bike position effects the trick, but it certainly does. Also if there are only 4 possibilities per bike position or if i have to pull the R trigger down and then to the right for instance. I hope for a video or something. Its kinda fun to do the tricks but if you dont know how it exactly works and the rider always does something else than you want, its not that much fun. Hope for a YouTube video or something that explains this properly :cool:

mutetus
04-04-2014, 09:03 PM
Align the bike like it's in the picture and move the right stick to the direction the rider's feet are pointing at. You'll get the hang of it pretty soon.

SecretImbecile
04-04-2014, 09:31 PM
Perhaps it's a keyboard issue, but the third trick (upside down point left) didn't seem, to work, I just had to flail around wildly for a while before I got it

Th0mas9
04-04-2014, 10:01 PM
Indeed, Fmx on a Keyboard is a joke at the moment :(

Vantier
04-07-2014, 05:42 PM
its not just about having your bike in a certain position and pushing the stick in another. Tricks are "activated" once your riders body/legs get into a specific range of arrangement so to speak, and remains in this range for about half a second or so.

also, almost all tricks lock after you hold them for a second, in which case, you can not "change" tricks until you either momentarily release the stick(cancelling your current trick) or rotate the stick into one of the other 3 quadrants of "activation".

Example time.
Flat position, hold left and you will start superman, now if you rotate counter clockwise until you are facing up, your rider will continue to do superman, even though "techinically" you are positioned and holding the stick to do "going to heaven". You have to release the stick for a split second, and then hold left again to start doing the new trick.

2nd example.
This demonstrates why tricks are not determined by bike orientation and direction of thumbstick alone.
Flat position, hold right and you will do the "coffin". In order to do "dead body" however, you have to swing your legs around the handle bars and then hold right.
Same bike orientation, same stick direction, different trick.

I have around 8 hours in FMX now, im #1 on the leaderboards by a substantial amount, I know what im talking about. The trick system works perfectly fine and is consistent as far as i have experienced, once you understand the mechanics, it makes perfect sense.

and while i cant speak from experience on keyboard, i would imagine it would actually be easier to do FMX on keyboard because of the absolute directions of the keyboard i would think the tricks would activate faster.

EDIT: Also, there are not 4 unique tricks per bike orientation.
"Coffin" is a universal trick that can achieved regrdless of bike orientation.
So there are 3 tricks per orientation and then "coffin" = 13 tricks
Also, there is a "front" and "back" flip variation of all tricks except "proud hero". Which can be accomplished by activating a trick position, and then performing a 180 within a second.

JoeRegular
04-07-2014, 11:13 PM
I haven't had a huge amount of playtime with the tricks. That 'upside down and hold left' one gave me a lot of trouble too. It only worked for me when I held up and left together ( 360 pad ), I literally only did it once though and can't be sure if I didn't do anything like Vantier suggests just prior to getting it. I'll try again when I have a chance to confirm.

TurtleIsSlow
04-08-2014, 03:39 AM
Align the bike like it's in the picture and move the right stick to the direction the rider's feet are pointing at. You'll get the hang of it pretty soon.

I would have to disagree with that one. I have a 360 controller and a PS3 with motion Joy. this is ridiculously hard to get the right trick(only the last trick). In the end almost everyone has resorted to just simply mashing stuff and getting lucky enough to advance. It's a cool "thought for the game", but needs some serious work, or just simply change the moves in the tutorial to single directional moves, and give the option to do a freestyle mode. Considering I have never had a rank of lower than 250 in the world in both HD and EVO I would have to say I have an above average feel for this game. I know this is a new feature, I would have to think a "move list" with each controls would be a more appropriate answer. Not you'll get the hang of it. But hey, that's just my opinion.

mutetus
04-08-2014, 05:56 AM
It's pretty much what Vantier said there earlier. It's nice to hear an approach from someone new to the tricks because they're difficult to explain once you have learned them so that you don't really have to think about what you're even doing. There's no move list or just a certain button combination to pull them because you're controlling the rider instead of triggering animations. Just come back after two weeks and tell if the tricks are still difficult.

TheeDesecrator
04-08-2014, 10:33 AM
I also was a little confused with the tutorial, but I blame myself a little more than the game expecting actions a little more like OlliOlli on the Vita. I would like tricks to enable a hair quicker, but they do work great. After I realized what I was doing wrong I started doing really well pretty quickly. I absolutely love FMX and hope to see quite a bit of this in DLC and Track Central. I certainly don't want it to be a concentration, of course, but certainly more.

Vantier
04-11-2014, 07:33 AM
The tutorial honestly could be better, its a novel idea, but as far as actually practicing and learning tricks its not that good.
My Suggestion?
Have like 10 Ramps in a row, that give massive air like the ramp on "blimp my ride".
The wind form the wind tunnel seems to move and push your bike in unexpected directions, and also offers an unrealistic scenario.
The trick combos i pull off in my Current run consistently, are very hard for me to link together in the wind tunnel for whatever reason.

Also NEWS FLASH: I just broke 200K on the FMX leaderboards lol, so yeah. I lost about 30k i think because on the 3rd jump for some reason i ended up doing coffin instead of dead body, which messed up my planned routine since i was supposed to finish with that X( And then when i tried to save it by doing slash at the end, it turned into going to heaven.............but whatevs. Good luck Friends lol

TurtleIsSlow
04-12-2014, 04:55 AM
.........Just come back after two weeks and tell if the tricks are still difficult.

Yes even after 2 weeks there are certain tricks that are hard to get (to the point of screaming), even when tried over...and over....and over, but the tricks have a very small roll over all so it shouldn't be too much of a bother to do what you have to, and never do it again :cool:

z1mb0bw4y
04-12-2014, 03:21 PM
As a long-time Trials player, I've appreciated the addition of the tricks system. After playing with it for about 30 mins or so, it's not hard to consistently pull off what you're trying to do, as long as you're paying attention to the bike's orientation.

I did have a question though. It seems that for the "Unyielding" challenges you're able to use tricks, which is EXTREMELY helpful. For example, if the bike is rotating counterclockwise in midair, you can flick the right stick quickly towards the front of the bike to add some clockwise rotational velocity and stop spinning. Once you get good at using tricks to fix your spin, unyielding becomes trivial. I was just wondering if this is intended or something that's going to be fixed?

Vantier
04-12-2014, 10:08 PM
Yes, once you become good at something, it becomes trivial lol. So whats your point?

z1mb0bw4y
04-13-2014, 02:12 AM
Yes, once you become good at something, it becomes trivial lol. So whats your point?

My point is that, in previous Trials games, unyielding / no lean tracks meant that you had to use your throttle and brake to control your rider's position. Tricks completely break that tradition, and are nearly as good as leaning.

It was just an observation. No need to be rude about it, I was just wondering if it was an intentional change or a developer oversight.

Vantier
04-13-2014, 09:05 PM
With the release of the new content yesterday, The new skill game is essentialy the FMX training i was suggesting in an earlier post, so good job Red Lynx. Anyone that is having trouble with FMX, i Urge you to "Practice" in the new skill game, and completely ignore the FMX training after first passing it.

Contra666
04-20-2014, 08:19 PM
I'm really struggling with this on Xbox One. It just doesn't seem to work. I really hate this fake environment for the tutorial - I find it impossible to learn like this.

The game doesn't adequately tell you what to do and there's really no reason why this should be a mandatory thing to continue progressing.

I've asked my friends if they had problems - someone else did too and they just ended up waggling the thumbsticks until it worked.