PDA

View Full Version : Is this the return to the "old days"?

joaomuas
04-03-2014, 07:29 PM
And by "the old days" I mean AC1.

Hi, everyone! My name's Lucas and I am a huge AC fan. However, I haven't been to these forums in quite some time, so this is kind of my "comeback". That said, I see no better way to return here than by discussing the new trailer for Assassin's Creed: Unity and what it means to the future of the series.

Despite not being my favorite game in the saga (it is second to AC2), AC1, the original Assassin's Creed, is in many fans' eyes the best of them all. And in fact, you can call it repetitive, you can call it boring, you can call it whatever you want, but the truth is few AC games can compete with its assassination memories, its atmosphere and its mystery. Looking at AC: Unity's trailer, I can't help but notice some similarities.

A handful of seconds into the trailer and I am instantly reminded of Alta´r's approach in the first AC1 trailer. We see the assassin, high above, looking down, determined and ready to strike. But the highlight here is the atmosphere: dark, heavy, sad. Sure, it is only the first trailer, but it is also something we haven't seen since 2007. By the way, here's the link in case you haven't watched it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQng7EkJHOI.

So my question: are we FINALLY going back to the days of black/gray atmospheres and cities (AC1's Acre anyone?), to the days of stalking your prey through the shadows, to the days of more serious and heavier plotlines? I surely hope so. The franchise is in dire need for a change (check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo3aWsoF9xk), and it looks like it's finally coming. The next-gen consoles will allow for new mechanics and gameplay elements, not to mention the lifelike graphics that fuel this beautiful trailer. We see new huge and interesting buildings to climb, new environmental elements that could be a factor in the game and the French Revolution has been an anticipated setting since AC: Brotherhood, giving new opportunities in terms of story and characters.

There is, however, a scary element. There is a theory (and a very plausible one) that the main character could be Connor again. Don't get me wrong, I actually love Connor as a character, but if we are to have this much needed change in the series, which we have been asking for since ACB or ACR, we NEED a new character. And a damn good one. Period.
Things like naval combat and more fluid free-running are welcome, but we need something much more drastic! We need something fresh and unique! And I'm not talking AC1 to AC2 change, I am talking about a much bigger change. A return to the old days of AC1's violent, dark and mysterious atmosphere BUT with something COMPLETELY NEW!

Thank you for taking the time to read through this whole post, in case you actually did so. I don't know about you, but me, who a few days ago would say I would not buy the PS4, now I am already saving money for one. That's how excited I am for this game.

Lucas

P.S. - Aren't the bell sounds at the beginning of the trailer the same as the ones in the AC1 trailer?

Wolfmeister1010
04-03-2014, 07:39 PM
We will never go back to the old days of JUST being an assassin. AC1 was ALL about being an assassin, following the tenants, and some story on the side.

Ever since, it has been about integrating the assassin character into the interesting time periods around them, giving them the weapons, tools, and activities that mirror the environment and culture and time period. In that sense, we will always have a "theme", whether it be open frontier seasons and stuff from AC3, or naval open world pirating from AC4.

We should start to speculate on what the "thematic" gameplay feature of a game in the French Revolution could be.

However, I do look forward to the long awaited return of big, european styled cities. Havana was close..but was small and didn't have the amount of landmarks and memorability that made cities like Acre, Venice, Rome, and Istanbul memorable.

I really look forward to the darkness and greyness of these cities. London was notoriously dark and brooding during this time, so looking forward to that as well. Made a thread about that a while back.

PS. I am sorry..but..even though I am a Connor fan..a BIG one..anyone who thinks that that skinny little twig assassin IS Connor needs to get their head examined and get over themselves lol. How desperate are you? (Not referred to you Lucas..but people in general)

jayjay275
04-03-2014, 07:47 PM
I hope AC Unity allows us to be a proper assassin and escape (not that we have before, but I want to see an improvement in social stealth, parkour and mission design).

Wolfmeister1010
04-03-2014, 08:02 PM
From the "Parkour up"and "Parkour down" controls..it seems we are getting a new movement system..although it is possible that these are just placeholders for the typical controls.

ze_topazio
04-03-2014, 08:24 PM
I hope we return to something more like AC2, AC1 was all about the assassinations, AC2 spiced things up by introducing some adventuring in-between the assassinations, and most of that adventuring was related to the assassination, (gathering info, forcing the targets to come out of hiding, etc...), starting with Brotherhood the games became mostly about adventuring with some occasional assassinations, and we kill so many people in the adventure parts that when we actually have to kill a traditional target it no longer feels special, those adventure parts are also way too long which kind of makes one forget that killing Templars in the shadows is our job.

AC2 is the best balanced in the series, one feels like an Assassin but in a less "monotonous" way than in AC1, the adventure segments are not too long and their purpose is to lead us to our target, and those targets feel special, I also like how in AC1, 2, Bro and Rev the targets are not too personal, 3 and 4 gave too much story to the Templars, is fine and all but at the same time makes things too personal which kind of destroys the "nothing personal" feeling that one usually associates with the idea of assassin, is fine if a couple of Templars have more personality but i prefer if the majority are just targets, which lead us to the fact that AC3 and 4 have so little targets exactly because all of them need to have complex backstories and importance to the plot.

Assassin job above all like in AC1 and 2 is the way to go, but I'm sure they will shoehorn Arnold Schwarzenegger in to every single event of the French Revolution.

STDlyMcStudpants
04-03-2014, 08:28 PM
I'm not going to lie...
I got the AC 1 feels from the Unity Sneak Peak trailer...
I hope so.

Sushiglutton
04-03-2014, 08:32 PM
Depends on what that means. When it comes to the gameplay pillars they need to move forward/evolve, not back (for the most part). When it comes to sandbox content I think the latter games have had much more quality content (and more junky content as well). Open stealth areas like plantations/forts/Borgia towers are awesome and I hope they don't go back to when they didn't exist.

If it means a stronger focus on city gameplay this time, I'm all for that. Not that I don't like naval (in fact I think it's a lot of fun), but I don't think it's a good match for the French Revolution tbh. I also would like to see a lot of innovation in the city gameplay, which has gone real stale.

The assassination missions in AC1 were good, but come on they were far from perfect.

BTW, That outsidexbox vid was great for the most part imo. Only major thing I disagreed on was that I don't think Unity should have naval. But hopefully Comet will

dxsxhxcx
04-03-2014, 08:41 PM
I don't think so

Hans684
04-03-2014, 08:45 PM
And by "the old days" I mean AC1.

You don't say.

Hi, everyone! My name's Lucas and I am a huge AC fan.

Hi, Lucas!

However, I haven't been to these forums in quite some time, so this is kind of my "comeback".

Then you should give a damn good performense.

That said, I see no better way to return here than by discussing the new trailer for Assassin's Creed: Unity and what it means to the future of the series.

That depends on what future we are talking about.

Despite not being my favorite game in the saga (it is second to AC2), AC1, the original Assassin's Creed, is in many fans' eyes the best of them all.

Normally I don't like people speaking for anyone other then themselves but since it is a "comeback" I'll let it pass.

And in fact, you can call it repetitive, you can call it boring, you can call it whatever you want, but the truth is few AC games can compete with its assassination memories, its atmosphere and its mystery..

I actually call it all that and I have my reasons. One of the games that actually compete with it's assassination memories is Hitman. A previous post of mine:

"It's refreshing too since it's the only simulator style AC(AC1), but I always do every mission when replaying. I kill one or two target per day(maybe 3), it's so slow and the planing and choke points is so easy. I don't plan(I plan on the fly) and still get a clean assassination. If you compare Hitman and AC1(both assassination simulators) it's peaty clear why AC1 is considered boring/slow, it challenged Hitman series and did it with less assassination focus, easy "planing", easy "choke points"(entry/exit). While I play AC for what it is, no matter what happens AC with or without simulator style will never beat Hitman. The combat is "realistic" but easy, it makes me sleep. The only time I didn't sleep is the first time I meet a Templar knight(those random placed guards), after their first attack I have always been able to kill one even at the lowest level(becouse of planing). Then we have two last boss fights. If compared to Hitman(in term of assassination, investigation and all that except combat and other special AC stuff) AC1 is a brainless simulator."

To sum it up nicely, it was raped long before it hit the stores. Who to thank for that? Mostly Patrice the creator, the Hitman series and then Ubisoft. Forgot to add that the fans(of all kinds) is just as much responsible, becouse the success of AC2 this series is annual.

Looking at AC: Unity's trailer, I can't help but notice some similarities.

A good change after adventure style AC but by all means nothing new becouse AC(1) is a assassin simualtor too.

A handful of seconds into the trailer and I am instantly reminded of Alta´r's approach in the first AC1 trailer. We see the assassin, high above, looking down, determined and ready to strike. But the highlight here is the atmosphere: dark, heavy, sad. Sure, it is only the first trailer, but it is also something we haven't seen since 2007. By the way, here's the link in case you haven't watched it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQng7EkJHOI.

Already seen it and still looks beautiful while reminding me of AC1. Only diffrence is that this might be the darkest, heavy and sadest AC, ever more sad if Darby had been the lead writher. So much feels.

So my question: are we FINALLY going back to the days of black/gray atmospheres and cities (AC1's Acre anyone?), to the days of stalking your prey through the shadows, to the days of more serious and heavier plotlines? I surely hope so.

That depends on how you consider something black/gray. Never considerd Acre gray/black, it feels so bland compared to every other city, so faceless, lifeless(In a bad way). I consider Acre what people(not gonna give a number like most or few) consider Boston and NY. If you mean a brainless assassin simualtor, then no. The previous post of mine explain it we'll enough. Judging by your talk of "serious" and "heavier" plotlines, I'd say you have been dissapointed with the recent games, understandble.

The franchise is in dire need for a change (check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo3aWsoF9xk), and it looks like it's finally coming.

Not really a big/innovative change if it has already been done before in the series, is it? If they go "old school" they should also improve it, not keeping it brainless as it was back then.

The next-gen consoles will allow for new mechanics and gameplay elements, not to mention the lifelike graphics that fuel this beautiful trailer. We see new huge and interesting buildings to climb, new environmental elements that could be a factor in the game and the French Revolution has been an anticipated setting since AC: Brotherhood, giving new opportunities in terms of story and characters.

Are you talking about improvements when you say "new" or are you talking about new additions?

There is, however, a scary element.

Are we getting an AC with zombies?

There is a theory (and a very plausible one) that the main character could be Connor again. Don't get me wrong, I actually love Connor as a character, but if we are to have this much needed change in the series, which we have been asking for since ACB or ACR, we NEED a new character. And a damn good one. Period.

They are done with the Kenway Saga. Period. It's not Connor. We did get new characters after ACR, it was Connor, Haytham(Haymitch) and Edward, The Kenway Saga. Where you dissapointed with all those three since you want a "damn good" one.

Things like naval combat and more fluid free-running are welcome, but we need something much more drastic!

Love the way you think, but "much more drastic" isn't considerd "AC" these days, people are hypocritical and nostalgic. They are not gonna accept it, they want the same **** a few years between or yearly. And you can't please everyone, mostly becouse of nostalgia and hypocriticism.

We need something fresh and unique!

Agree, any ideas?

And I'm not talking AC1 to AC2 change, I am talking about a much bigger change.

You sound ambitious but do you believe it. What kind of change?

A return to the old days of AC1's violent, dark and mysterious atmosphere BUT with something COMPLETELY NEW!

Soooo, same old AC1 "old school" with a few additions.

Thank you for taking the time to read through this whole post, in case you actually did so. I don't know about you, but me, who a few days ago would say I would not buy the PS4, now I am already saving money for one. That's how excited I am for this game.

No, thank you for sharing your side, I did read it all. I don't know about you either(only first name), but as someone with a PS4 I can say it's worth it, keep saving. Don't start the hype train to soon, I'm sure you don't want another ME3/AC3.

Lucas

Me

MiguelSanch2014
04-04-2014, 12:50 AM
If anything is worth changing up to bring back the AC1 feel, it would be having a TRUE, established assassin again like Altair. Not someone who was forced, or evolved into it.

D.I.D.
04-04-2014, 01:47 AM
I hope it's the new days, to be honest.

I think you can pretty much guarantee that Unity or its sequel will not only have you in shadows, but that lighting will be a gameplay feature. They really need significant improvements in gameplay to differentiate this gen's AC from the last gen's ACs, and the obvious way to do that would be taking advantage of the new systems' superior shadow technology.

Wolfmeister1010
04-04-2014, 02:05 AM
Assassin job above all like in AC1 and 2 is the way to go, but I'm sure they will shoehorn Arnold Schwarzenegger in to every single event of the French Revolution.

Sigh...

The French revolution was not NEARLY as "eventful" as The american revolution. It was hardly even a "revolution". It was a period of bloodshed and political change/chaos. There weren't many notable battles or anything. You do not need to worry about Arnuad being "shoehorned".

I-Like-Pie45
04-04-2014, 02:26 AM
still counts as shoehorned

Wolfmeister1010
04-04-2014, 02:53 AM
still counts as shoehorned

Not anymore shoehorned than Altair in the crusades or Ezio interacting with all the major people in the rennaisance and Ottoman turkey.

We havent even played the game yet, so how bout we reserve all judgement.

Assassin_M
04-04-2014, 04:25 PM
If by good old days you mean, a proper Assassin simulator where you have a clear job with a variety of investigations. if by good old days you mean, polished social stealth that allows you to become a blade in the crowd. if by good old days you mean a philosophic and complex narrative. if by good old days you mean ambiguous conflict. if those are what you mean by good old days, then i'd be happy for a return to those...

If; however, you mean by good old days just a return to whatever AC II made this series, then no thanks...I hope not.

joaomuas
04-06-2014, 02:53 AM
If by good old days you mean, a proper Assassin simulator where you have a clear job with a variety of investigations. if by good old days you mean, polished social stealth that allows you to become a blade in the crowd. if by good old days you mean a philosophic and complex narrative. if by good old days you mean ambiguous conflict. if those are what you mean by good old days, then i'd be happy for a return to those...

Yes, that is exactly what I mean...

joaomuas
04-06-2014, 03:15 AM
I think it would be great to see some improvements in social stealth (and overall stealth for that matter) and of course the difficulty. Make us want to flee instead of killing all the guards in ten seconds! It would be great to have that city-wide alarm from AC1 back. There would be these huge chase sequences after you killed your target... Good times! Also, in my opinion, the storytelling in both AC1 and AC2 was fantastic! It was what got me into the franchise in the first place! Recently, it hasn't been that good...

I believe Unity is the game we have all been waiting for since AC2. Brotherhood and Revelations were too similar to AC2, and AC3 and AC4, despite the new characters and setting, didn't have those huge and dense cities that made AC what it is today. Now, with a new character, a new setting, and a new huge and dense European city, I think it can only be great! After two years with the American/Pirate setting, Unity is looking to be fresh and unique! I just hope the plotline is amazing!

DumbGamerTag94
04-06-2014, 03:51 AM
I believe Unity is the game we have all been waiting for since AC2. Brotherhood and Revelations were too similar to AC2, and AC3 and AC4, despite the new characters and setting, didn't have those huge and dense cities that made AC what it is today. Now, with a new character, a new setting, and a new huge and dense European city, I think it can only be great! After two years with the American/Pirate setting, Unity is looking to be fresh and unique! I just hope the plotline is amazing!

Firstly AC1s cities were fairly small too in comparison to the rest of the series. New York is at least on the same level as the cities of AC1 in terms of size and density IMO.

Second I am rather annoyed by people saying AC3 and 4 are the same or even simmilar settings. They aren't. AC3 is British North America with temporate forests and snowy winters. AC4 is the Carribean with very small colonial cities tropical islands, jungles, myan ruins, and open oceans. The two settings couldn't be more different from eachother. The only simmilarities are the fact that they were both in the 1700s and in North America. That is a terrible argument. Saying that they're the same because they are from the same geographic region/continent would be the same as saying that China is the same as Iran or Russia. Italy is the same as England. Kenya is the same as Egypt. Just cuz it's the same continent doesn't mean it's the same setting. I don't understand why people keep saying that because I can't see how AC3 and AC4 could be any more different in terms of setting.

Assassin_M
04-06-2014, 03:51 AM
Also, in my opinion, the storytelling in both AC1 and AC2 was fantastic! It was what got me into the franchise in the first place! Recently, it hasn't been that good
and that is what I hope does not happen if we're to return to good ol' days...Of course I respect your opinion but I wouldn't place AC II and AC I in the same category in terms of story telling...and I wouldn't agree that AC II had fantastic story telling...I hope that we don't ever go back to the story style of AC II..with respect to your opinion, of course..

Jexx21
04-06-2014, 07:47 AM
New York and Boston are the two largest cities in the entire series I'm pretty sure. They might be a little smaller than Rome or Constantinople, but besides that they're the largest in the series. Put them together and yes they are larger than Rome and Constantinople (which were the only cities in their games aside from Cappadocia in ACR).

and that is what I hope does not happen if we're to return to good ol' days...Of course I respect your opinion but I wouldn't place AC II and AC I in the same category in terms of story telling...and I wouldn't agree that AC II had fantastic story telling...I hope that we don't ever go back to the story style of AC II..with respect to your opinion, of course..

I agree. ACR-AC4 have had the best stories in the entire series and the best characters in general.

TheArcaneEagle
04-06-2014, 08:39 AM
I feel it would be a wrong step in the wrong direction. AC3 and ACIV are vast improvements from earlier games in the franchise, it feels more fresh and fluent. I feel that going back to a previous game's model would appear to a small demographic, not to mention it would only make the game boring (since you've experienced something like this before) and it wouldn't improve the franchise in the future.

I'm on board for small mechanics and features from previous titles like the Brotherhood from ACB though.

Kirokill
04-06-2014, 05:36 PM

AC2 had a revenge story, any story associated with revenge seems... Bland and very unoriginal. Even with different event, the goal just seems not worth it.

Assassin_M
04-06-2014, 05:38 PM
AC2 had a revenge story, any story associated with revenge seems... Bland and very unoriginal. Even with different event, the goal just seems not worth it.
Especially when the goal is made irrelevant in the VERY end because "killing you wont bring my family back" -__-

Jexx21
04-06-2014, 06:48 PM
I find it funny when people hate on Connor and AC3 because "he's just a whiny kid out for revenge."

Dafuq was Ezio? A perverted kid out for revenge?

Assassin_M
04-06-2014, 07:50 PM
I find it funny when people hate on Connor and AC3 because "he's just a whiny kid out for revenge."

Dafuq was Ezio? A perverted kid out for revenge?
Ezio was charismatic and funny, everything else doesn't matter..

Jexx21
04-06-2014, 07:55 PM
Which is why people prefer Iron Man, the charismatic and witty alcoholic ******* over Captain America, the man out of time with a good heart and strong morals.

Assassin_M
04-06-2014, 08:01 PM
Which is why people prefer Iron Man, the charismatic and witty alcoholic ******* over Captain America, the man out of time with a good heart and strong morals.
It's silly really...

JustPlainQuirky
04-06-2014, 08:04 PM
Oh shoot. I prefer Iron man. What have I become?!http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070420152052/wowwiki/images/2/2b/Emot-psyduck.gif

Jexx21
04-06-2014, 08:05 PM
..Is it weird that I actually see Ezio and Connor as being pretty comparable to Iron Man/Tony and Captain America/Steve? O.o

I mean, Steve isn't as stoic as Connor but he definitely seems to be more of an introvert.

Rugterwyper32
04-06-2014, 08:10 PM
We all know Connor truly is Bruce Banner.
That's his secret. He's always angry.

Jexx21
04-06-2014, 08:14 PM
Let's overlay the Assassins on top of the Avengers.

Captain America: Connor
Iron Man: Ezio
Thor: Altair
Hulk:
Black Widow: Edward
Hawkeye:

Quicksilver:
Scarlet Witch:

Falcon (is he in AoU?):

DumbGamerTag94
04-06-2014, 08:19 PM
Ezio and Connor both have revenge stories where they are basically ARRRRGGGGHHH MUST KILL TEMPLARS!!!!!AHHHHH!!!!!!!! The only reason Ezio isn't constantly yelling out a name like Charles Lee is that he didn't know who was responsible for his families deaths till later. Ezio's while IMO a good story was not exactly good story telling because it was so straight forward and predictable/ black and white. Bad guys were bad guys that hung out in catacombs and cackled and schemed with a leader in a dark hood. The Templars were presented as bad guys, Ezio as a hero and there was no ambiguity, no feels for any of the Templars, you were happy they died and most of them were spiteful/resenting of Ezio in their deaths. Whereas the Templars of AC3 were different. We start the game as one of them so we feel before they reveal who they are that they are pursuing something noble. And they often had good intention for what they were doing, typically wanting the same thing as Connor but taking a different approach. It was far more morally a grey area in AC3. Which in my opinion made for a far deeper story with better character development, with more than just the flat evil characters of AC2-R. I like that you can sympathize with some of the Templars in the newer games, when in the old ones I never felt bad and in the Ezio trilogy they were typically cocky even in death. For that reason I feel AC3 is superior story telling even though its basically the same revenge story as AC2 recycled in a different time and place. It was just done better IMO

Assassin_M
04-06-2014, 08:27 PM
its basically the same revenge story as AC2 recycled in a different time and place. It was just done better IMO
Connor only said Charles Lee's name in the context of resentment about 4 times, people overreact about it...and that's a gross oversimplification of AC III's story imo

DumbGamerTag94
04-06-2014, 08:35 PM
Connor only said Charles Lee's name in the context of resentment about 4 times, people overreact about it...and that's a gross oversimplification of AC III's story imo

It was intended to be a simplification. If I went in depth about all the facits of the story that make it drastically different from AC2 I would be typing for a long while. And I would rather not do that lol. I was just stating that the themes and overall plot of AC2 and AC3 are very similar (specifically dead family seeks revenge by killing Templars because they are Templars). How they are handled, how complex, and other factors distinguish the two. Honestly if Ezio know Rodrigo's name earlier he probably would be shouting his name every two minutes. Theres a lot of reasons AC3 is better. Complex characters, Conflicted protagonist(contemplates working with Templars), Selfless(works for others freedom, and to protect his people rather than Ezio just wanting to avenge his family), the list goes on for a while. I apologize if I oversimplified but to go in detail on all of these it would take a whole lot of writing. So I oversimplified for brevity.

Inderpal1994
04-08-2014, 08:50 PM
Greeting assassins, i am new here and wish to interact and network other fellow assassins.

In my opinion AC needs to enter new realms within AC series such as visiting time periods that had changed the way man thought and talked, time periods that create the a huge shake to the world as we know it. Times such as the American revolution was only a shake for the americans and not so much for the world, it would be a new look to see AC series if we enter older time periods such as the times of ancient Greece, Rome, Egypt or China. Another proposal i wish to make is to add new features to the game as it would keep the gamer more interacted with the game for a longer time, features i propose are to being able to learn new martial art moves a it seem we only fight in way or styles which tends to get a bit tedious. Another is to contiously change the story so that the gamer is able experience the assassins within different aspects and angles examples such as Assassin Creed 3 and Assassins Creed Black Flag prove such.

These are just a few i can mention from the top of my head if any more flourish through the mind i will let it be known.

arrivederci for now.

DumbGamerTag94
04-08-2014, 10:02 PM
Greeting assassins, i am new here and wish to interact and network other fellow assassins.

In my opinion AC needs to enter new realms within AC series such as visiting time periods that had changed the way man thought and talked, time periods that create the a huge shake to the world as we know it. Times such as the American revolution was only a shake for the americans and not so much for the world, it would be a new look to see AC series if we enter older time periods such as the times of ancient Greece, Rome, Egypt or China.

The American Revolution didn't change the way people thought and talked? It "was only a shake for Americans" are you insane? The American Revolution set up the fisrt non Royal Republic since the fall of Greece and Rome. And inspired the revolutions of Central and South American nations, as well as other colonial nations such as Vietnam(ironically). The American revolution started a trend that continued into the 20th century of colonies throwing off their chains to the home country. It even inspired the French Revolution(one of the greatest periods of thinkers and violence in European History and had world effects of its own). So I don't know if you're just oblivious or what

the Crusades were 100s of years long and still help to shape Western Relations with Islamic countries to this day

The Italian Renniassance was the biggest explosion of science culture and art the world has ever seen and lifted the western world out of the dark ages and create the building blocks for modern technology an architecture

So I don't know how you don't thing these events weren't globally significant or changed the way people did things because that is exactly what every AC setting has done. Not to say more ancient times aren't cool and important too but they are not the only periods that permanently changed the world

ze_topazio
04-08-2014, 11:56 PM
The American Revolution set up the first non Royal Republic since the fall of Greece and Rome.

That's not true, there were many republics between the classic age and the American Revolution.

DumbGamerTag94
04-09-2014, 12:09 AM
That's not true, there were many republics between the classic age and the American Revolution.

That is true but it had never been done on such a large scale since Rome. There had been republics like Florence, Venice, The Dutch Republic, to name a few. However many of these had a King like Figure that sat for life rather than a president who sits for 4. And all of these republics(between Rome and US) were fairly small in size. Many of them not more than a city-state like Venice. Nothing like the size of the entire eastern seaboard of the US. In fact many people(including several founding fathers) feared it wouldn't work in the US because it had never been done in a large scale, and the Roman republic didn't last long before it devolved into a dictatorship

I should have specified more I apologize

Locopells
04-09-2014, 01:14 PM
That is one thing about the birth of the US. For all it's other hypocrisy, it didn't end up being ruled by the military and it's general/leader, which is what usually happens...

Shahkulu101
04-09-2014, 01:39 PM
That is one thing about the birth of the US. For all it's other hypocrisy, it didn't end up being ruled by the military and it's general/leader, which is what usually happens...

Nah, just corrupt politicians and various business monopolies.

And the illumanutty.

Farlander1991
04-09-2014, 02:04 PM
Maybe it's me becoming more jaded, but watching these forums since the official Unity sneak peak is like... I find a lot of created threads and discussions weird. 'He was watching an execution from above like Altair, that means that this game will be more in spirit of AC1, right?' (and some don't even pose it as a question, but as a statement). Like I've seen this plenty of times, how do you discuss this? Maybe yes, maybe not. Speculation and theories based on history are one thing (i.e. targets, what possible weapons to be used, etc.), but then there's a lot of, 'He wears black so he must be a mentor!' ... or 'he's looking at the watch like it belongs to the person getting executed'... and lots of other stuff... Is just weird, trying to desperately get a talk out of the little information that we've got. Maybe it's just me being grumpy.

Shahkulu101
04-09-2014, 02:18 PM
Maybe it's me becoming more jaded, but watching these forums since the official Unity sneak peak is like... I find a lot of created threads and discussions weird. 'He was watching an execution from above like Altair, that means that this game will be more in spirit of AC1, right?' (and some don't even pose it as a question, but as a statement). Like I've seen this plenty of times, how do you discuss this? Maybe yes, maybe not. Speculation and theories based on history are one thing (i.e. targets, what possible weapons to be used, etc.), but then there's a lot of, 'He wears black so he must be a mentor!' ... or 'he's looking at the watch like it belongs to the person getting executed'... and lots of other stuff... Is just weird, trying to desperately get a talk out of the little information that we've got. Maybe it's just me being grumpy.

We are starved, Farlander1991. Starved.

Usually by this time we know all the games new features and half the bloody plot. Instead, we're losing the plot ourselves. Hence, inane speculation.

And yes, you are being a grumpy grumps. It's not like it's ALL people have been saying - there's still a range of other topics to provide meaningful discussion. Not to mention the many you, I and everyone else have locked in our noggins.