PDA

View Full Version : Heart of Nightmares - Damran, Chosen of the Thorns

Aza404
03-31-2014, 03:00 PM
Dear Champions,

This week, we have a new Unique Card to show you. Meet Damran, Chosen of the Thorns, a powerful Dark Elf!
Let us know what you think!

http://static2.cdn.ubi.com/MM-DOC/Damran_ENG.png

Enjoy,
Aza and the DoC Team

http://static2.cdn.ubi.com/MM-DOC/FR/Damranartwork.png

cyber-raptor67
03-31-2014, 03:16 PM
First it sure looks cool!
With it "only" needing 4 might its seems like a card which could be used by some builds.

Crythor

ps. i watched the Duel of Champions Spot in the German TV today it was well done i like it.

Freyjan
03-31-2014, 03:17 PM
Oh hello there new Damran. Way to shame your twin brother and stick him in the corner to be forgotten :cool:

Sameji246
03-31-2014, 03:20 PM
Well, now I really DO need to get a full set of spitters for bs2.

kartelis
03-31-2014, 04:31 PM
no decay spitters in bs2???

Alamand
03-31-2014, 04:41 PM
I was really hoping the earth aligned one would be a big tanky scary defensive creature, the war oliphant of uniques you might say. This guys not really bad, though he's nothing special either, nothing about his stats or ability really screams unique. I

f you printed a creature that does the same thing (maybe without being able to split the counters) with the same stats as a non-unique It would just be a possibly playable fatty, though not as possibly playable as loyal rakasha.

Kimundi
03-31-2014, 04:54 PM
Added the full HD artwork ;)

Reg1nleif
03-31-2014, 05:38 PM
He might have used to be a dark elf, but now he is an undead elf, like Scatha was in HoMM6; so why call him a dark elf?
No impostors are allowed in my beloved dungeon faction :) bring on the bloodfuries

z0k1x2
03-31-2014, 06:48 PM
Damran, Chosen of the Thorns
Usage 1 necropolis hero and 4 stronghold ?
Earth aligned - wrong idea implementing poison to earth magic school in first place, and now Damran stronghold chozen one ?
Art ?/10 ( necropolis style for earthbound character, something minoooooooooor is wrong with that art style ).

Can't wait to see dark neutral champion.

sp1n-
03-31-2014, 06:54 PM
Now i see why they removed ds..this card look awesome in arianna deck....and remember there are 2 cards to reveal...primal and dark right?

Offsidec
03-31-2014, 07:13 PM
Damran, Chosen of the Thorns
Usage 1 necropolis hero and 4 stronghold ?
Earth aligned - wrong idea implementing poison to earth magic school in first place, and now Damran stronghold chozen one ?
Art ?/10 ( necropolis style for earthbound character, something minoooooooooor is wrong with that art style ).

Can't wait to see dark neutral champion.

Air Zefiria
Light Anael
Earth damran...

Water Raya
Dark or Prismal Nur
Fire Hikyu
┐Last one?┐SHI NO SHI?

Banehollow89
03-31-2014, 07:53 PM
Air Zefiria
Light Anael
Earth damran...

Water Raya
Dark or Prismal Nur
Fire Hikyu
┐Last one?┐SHI NO SHI?

Dark is definitely Hasahaf, since he is the same type as others were in Forgotten Wars, an unique that do something when enters play and when attacks. And since he is the one that is putting crippling counters, it makes sense.

I doubt that we will have one with Primal magic, but who knows.

Offsidec
03-31-2014, 08:19 PM
Dark is definitely Hasahaf, since he is the same type as others were in Forgotten Wars, an unique that do something when enters play and when attacks. And since he is the one that is putting crippling counters, it makes sense.

I doubt that we will have one with Primal magic, but who knows.

Fail, Hasafah is out, Nur is more important and we┤ll have one for each magic school.

Shambell
03-31-2014, 08:40 PM
He might have used to be a dark elf, but now he is an undead elf, like Scatha was in HoMM6; so why call him a dark elf?

Where did you see that he was undead ?
Earth magic can make your skin like stone.

Earth aligned - wrong idea implementing poison to earth magic school in first place

Why ?
It's the typical "natural" damage and earth is all about nature.

Sameji246
04-01-2014, 12:03 AM
no decay spitters in bs2???

Only just saw the final card list. Makes life easier for me lol.

qoji
04-01-2014, 12:27 AM
im happy that u show at least a phew cards but its pointless to discuss the strenght of these when u dont know the other cards that will be released too. so do us a favour and show us all. i want create my new deck.

gabusan
04-01-2014, 01:17 AM
This guy is going to be a nightmare.

Revalon
04-01-2014, 01:41 AM
Fail, Hasafah is out, Nur is more important and we┤ll have one for each magic school.

1) Nur more important than Hasafah: your opinion

2) One for every magic school: where do you have this info from?

Alamand
04-01-2014, 03:01 AM
2) One for every magic school: where do you have this info from?

They've always done uniques in cycles before, no reason to stop that now. Though it seems we'll have to wait for the next expansion to see the rest since the very first reveal said something along the lines of "we'll preview the remaining 2 shortly".

superktro
04-01-2014, 05:54 AM
This is a bad news guys.
It clearly suggests that doc devs have given up hope for a possible dark elf faction in the future.
He is a cursed dark elf and should not be given creature type as just a dark elf
The art is really stunning and ability wise much better than anael and zefiria
So i have a mixed feelings

z0k1x2
04-01-2014, 06:18 AM
Where did you see that he was undead ?
Earth magic can make your skin like stone.

Why ?
It's the typical "natural" damage and earth is all about nature.

It all gets to difference in opinion, we all are individuals.
you or i can tell it is fantasy world everything is possible, lore is this, real nature that, and so on.
But if they implement poison to necropolis as a core element to creatures with abilities as a iconic to them
( Zombies, rest creatures have that by fantasy )
than it is natural to be necromancers ability magic school, that is summoning school magic that is not existing
in this game and next in line would be by the natural order dark magic school as a ritual magic as a sickening curse.
Earth magic school in my opinion is all about strength, resilience, growth, healing.
So art in that chase is not in line with magic school but with necromancer style art,
if it would be earth ti would not need leather armor and glow in the eyes,
it would have clearly visible stone skin that would be seen as a cracks and stone deformation around crystal formations on his body,
stone color not desaturated but timing with life as a symbiotic bond to stone and cristal formations and so on .......
That is my point of wiev and that is my starting point on comment to above card,
did not go to balance review of card but first thing that capture my attention.
And it is very strong card and happy to see it but not in that composition with
earth school magic or that art if it stays in that school of magic :)

Reg1nleif
04-01-2014, 06:27 AM
I saw he is undead since the forgotten wars where he was presented as such, having white eyes and pale, necromantic like skin. A dark elf dragon knight would surely be dark alligned and if we take Raelag, Ylaya, Eruina etc. they would surely look alive and not like that. Let's say we take a dark elf dragon knight alligned to earth like Lethos was in Homm5 and 6, he would still look alive.

ArcaneAzmadi
04-01-2014, 06:40 AM
Incredible, this is the second time they've given this guy a card and he STILL sucks!

Well OK, he's not THAT bad, certainly better than the insult that was his FW version, but he's still pretty poor. A 3/3/7 for 6 is pathetic, Infect 2 makes it a bit better and the come into play effect is decent. I think Sanctuary bounce decks (Shailan perhaps?) might be able to find a use for him (they get all these bounce-themed cards despite the fact that they get almost NO decent come into play creatures!) but otherwise I think his price is just too much.

tjt2
04-01-2014, 07:22 AM
Earth magic does venomous touch, poison bulb, and contagion (although they are not usually used), so his ability is not exclusively a dark magic/necromancer ability. However, shouldn't a dark elf be part of the dark magic school? He could just be labeled as an elf.

Marbran
04-01-2014, 09:42 AM
as z0k1x2 said, earth is about Nature: growth, regen, "Might of Nature". The earth aligned champion should have been a Sylvan Ranger or Druid, Sylvan always was all about Nature. Earth and Water (In HoMM5 Destruction and Light, but there water was part of Destruction)

Shambell
04-01-2014, 10:11 AM
Earth school is linked to growth, regen, yes, but also stone, natural life, poison (and counter poison), acid, building and landscape destruction, physical armor, binding, immobility, weight and the like...(check the earth spells for exemple of these effects)
The color associated with this school is green.

As for a Dark Elf being Earth Dragon Knight.
Why not ?
An individual is not his faction and even if Dark Elves favor collectively Darkness, one can find that that his inner dragon is a Earth one.
And Dragon Knights are aligned with other Dragon Knights for Ashan, not with their original factions.

z0k1x2
04-01-2014, 11:05 AM
As for a Dark Elf being Earth Dragon Knight.
Why not ?
An individual is not his faction and even if Dark Elves favor collectively Darkness, one can find that that his inner dragon is a Earth one.
And Dragon Knights are aligned with other Dragon Knights for Ashan, not with their original factions.

Well this disappoints me no white wisdom rings for you.

Shambell
04-01-2014, 11:23 AM
Well this disappoints me no white wisdom rings for you.

Could you explain ?

z0k1x2
04-01-2014, 11:42 AM
Could you explain ?

Earth dragon of ashan choose dark elf to be dragon knight of earth do not see that going anywhere.
One can find that his inner dragon is a Earth one, only if it is placed there by divine dragon translation chosen one.

ulpsz
04-01-2014, 12:17 PM
not very impressed with this one...it's basically the old damran with another ability...

the other two were along the line of their original but radically different in their impact on the game

and he kind of makes the other damran obsolete ..as 3 poison counters are much more valuable than the old ones ability...

I also fel that the devs don't feel like implementing new factions soon..and resort to cram in traits and creatures from those into existing factions..(some fit falvourwise , some don't ..bit the fact itself feels kind of awkward)

Shambell
04-01-2014, 12:17 PM
From what you said, an human from the Falcon Empire, former priestess of Elrath, couldn't be a Dragon Knight of Malassa. (http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120301161943/mightandmagic/en/images/archive/8/89/20121102184500!Cate_DK_Sketch03.jpg)

One person is not a faction.
Dragon allegiance isn't set in stone for an individual.

z0k1x2
04-01-2014, 12:23 PM
From what you said, an human from the Falcon Empire, former priestess of Elrath, couldn't be a Dragon Knight of Malassa. (http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120301161943/mightandmagic/en/images/archive/8/89/20121102184500!Cate_DK_Sketch03.jpg)

One person is not a faction.
Dragon allegiance isn't set in stone for an individual.

Jap I don't like H6 lore, i prefer H5.

rebelo.bmp
04-01-2014, 07:07 PM
Someone suggested that it would look more neet and unique if unsteady of so many text in de description box you cou just put the "element aligned" as the school of magic's symbol underneath the neutral faction and I agree. Wouldn't that be a good, viable alternative?

Zydar_GG
04-04-2014, 02:16 AM
what happens with the older damran, i was thinking of buying it

Revalon
04-04-2014, 10:30 AM
what happens with the older damran, i was thinking of buying it

nothing happens to him - he will just not be legal in standard afaik.

ArcaneAzmadi
04-04-2014, 01:30 PM
nothing happens to him - he will just not be legal in standard afaik.

And not a single **** was given that day.

Seriously, the old Damran was GARBAGE- arguably the worst unique creature in the game and simply not worth using in any Necro deck whatsoever. Trust me Zydar, don't bother. If you're going to go to 6 resource for a Necro creature, at least make it a Vampire Lord.

Beezlebubkis
04-11-2014, 09:33 PM
I have him.

In Open he's like like having an extra Decay Spitter with more health who can target up to three creatures, or just take down one or two hard.

He's great, in Standard I'm not sure he's the way to go with Necro (maybe with other factions since he's technically a neutral card in this incarnation.) Vampires seem to be the better bet so far from what I've seen and the Vampire Hero (Forget her name already) isn't earth aligned.

He's not too expensive for what he is, and is a solid late came draw to reinforce position on the board. For Ariana in particular he's a killer choice, making her stronger in Open than she has been in the past.

NoobFish
04-23-2014, 08:32 AM
I had some nice plays with Kabuki in a Shalan deck. Also broken bridge and truce helped, since you can return your kabukis with truce and return damran with them again :D

NoobFish
04-23-2014, 08:42 AM
I had some nice plays with Kabuki in a Shalan deck. Also broken bridge and truce helped, since you can return your kabukis with truce and return damran with them again :D