PDA

View Full Version : First impressions

dallaboo
03-21-2014, 01:47 PM
Got my key few hours ago, played it for about 90 min all in all.

First of all, it doesnt feel like a beta, its extremely stable, looks more like a teaser, a demo if you want.

Technical issues:
Only issue I encountered is when disabling vsync. With vsync on it stays at 60 fps, disabling it the game still runs at 60 but with clipping and tearing gfx issues. Turning vsync back on solves the problem.

Gameplay and content:
The game looks and plays good and I look forward to the rest of the content and theres little of it in the beta.
All tracks can be completed with gold medal under 30 minutes cause only easy tracks are included, you could have mixed a bit like 6 easy, 4 mid, 2 hard and 1 extreme if you asked me. I get it, it's just a bonus for us that preordered but after an hour in there's not much to play except climbing up a bit on the leaderboards. FMX moves seem to be disabled and some challenges in tracks cant be completed cause of the locked content.

All in all, looks to be another great Trials game, bit shame that you chickened out on beta content but props for not delaying the PC version.

UbiJustin
03-21-2014, 02:38 PM
Thanks for your feedback Dallaboo!

And glad to hear you are having a pleasant experience so far. I did want to address one of your concerns on content. If you go into your "Career Mode" you will see that the "Urban Sprawl" event will be unlocked on April 5th. Following that, the "Cactus Challenge" will be unlocked on April 12th. So we have a lot more content in store for this Beta, but will be rolling it out in phases. :D

Hang tight!

BenShermanUbi
03-21-2014, 02:51 PM
Got my key few hours ago, played it for about 90 min all in all.

First of all, it doesnt feel like a beta, its extremely stable, looks more like a teaser, a demo if you want.

Technical issues:
Only issue I encountered is when disabling vsync. With vsync on it stays at 60 fps, disabling it the game still runs at 60 but with clipping and tearing gfx issues. Turning vsync back on solves the problem.

Gameplay and content:
The game looks and plays good and I look forward to the rest of the content and theres little of it in the beta.
All tracks can be completed with gold medal under 30 minutes cause only easy tracks are included, you could have mixed a bit like 6 easy, 4 mid, 2 hard and 1 extreme if you asked me. I get it, it's just a bonus for us that preordered but after an hour in there's not much to play except climbing up a bit on the leaderboards. FMX moves seem to be disabled and some challenges in tracks cant be completed cause of the locked content.

All in all, looks to be another great Trials game, bit shame that you chickened out on beta content but props for not delaying the PC version.

Thank you dallaboo,

This is very important for us to get your feedback.

About technical issue, we will investigate how to improve game stability with Vsync being disabled.
But that's that's great that you have 60fps :) It's actually locked to 60fps :)

Ok, so you finished all tracks...that's great :) And what about Track Challenges?

FMX are disabled that's right, but you will be able to test it on April 5 :)

dallaboo
03-21-2014, 05:59 PM
It's ok, I dont mind waiting till april for more content, I'm happy that we don't have to wait till 2018 for PC release. I dont have much complaints really besides the low track count and their low difficulty.
A question tho, is multiplayer going to be enabled during the beta phase?

Was planning to post some screenshots to show the bros how the game looks like but I found this british guy doing a beta playthrough, so if someone wants to see how the game looks like and plays check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbdG16-XRS4

aondw
03-21-2014, 07:25 PM
My feedback so far:

The game is stable, the Fps are ok.
There are too little graphic options for a PC game.
Fps seem to be locked to 60 even without v-sync, not really a problem
The loading times are too long atm
Some bigger fonts look pixelated
No "stats" for the bikes
Graphics are ok, not too fancy, not too bad if you don't get too close.
Gameplay awesome as always
Yes I know its a beta

dallaboo
03-21-2014, 08:47 PM
Some glitches I caught while playing. :)

Jumping over that ice wall was a bit too heavy so his tire got stuck and the bike wouldn't move.
http://i.imgur.com/P6xMxRl.jpg

Playing mr. Fantastic and merging with the bike. Also had this happen once before in the level from the previous screenshot, seems both happen after you jump over that ice wall.
http://i.imgur.com/akEAxyS.jpg

No chrashes or slowdowns yet. Playing with everything on high @1080 res on i7, 16gb ram and 7950/3gb ram. Win7 64 bit.

UbiJustin
03-21-2014, 09:32 PM
Thanks for sharing these, Dallaboo.

Ch4er0n
03-22-2014, 03:18 AM
Ok, hoping Fusion full release is substantially different from PC beta, because there are some serious, and some minor flaws that need addressing.

Tire Glitches
This is without a doubt the biggest problem in the game so far. Different people I have talked to have experienced different levels of frequency of tire glitches, but all agree they are present. It has been my experience that they are substantially more frequent than in Evolution. Some of mine can be attributed to imperfect landings, but there have been enough times when I have been cruising along at high speed on a smooth ramp, and been bounced around for no reason, wheeling over a ramp to maintain momentum (only back tire down) and had my speed suddenly reduced, and wheels generally catching on terrain that should be otherwise smooth. The community has been very vocal about this problem throughout Evo, and I am thoroughly dismayed to see it so prevalent in Fusion.

None of mine have been quite this epic, but still run ruining: Sandy's Tire Glitch Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_s5C17fZ0Y)

Broken Replays
Well, Day 1 of Beta and already many of the top replays I have looked at have broken. For those unfamiliar as to what this means, midway through the replay, at any random point, the rider will crash and what is displayed on screen is not what matches the controller input symbols in the bottom right, or what the player did in his/her run. Once again this is an old Evo problem that I would have thought would be a priority to fix for the new Trials installation.

Bugged Leaderboards
Take a look at the global scores on PC beta. After less than a day of live trials score calculations are already totally screwy. Glitches like this ruin the integrity of the competition inherent in Trials, and for game longevity, need to be addressed.

Restart Functionality
Pressing the restart button sometimes functions as it does in Evo, where you get a Ready! Go! command. Other times it goes Ready! 3, 2, 1 Go! This should probably be standardized, much preferably the first option. There is also the capability to double restart if you press the select button twice, triggering the full countdown again, whereas in Evo this was not possible. The Evo method is much nicer to use.

Customization
I do hope that since this is a beta we do not have access to full bike and rider customization, because the current system affords FAR less options than those given by Evo. As it stands now, you can change the colours of two parts on your bike, rims, and body. Rims cannot be coloured individually, and cannot be customized individually (ie. same rim type on both front and back wheel). As far as the rider goes, you have 3 customization parts, head torso and legs, as opposed to the 5 (?) from Evo. In Evo a number of items had the option for different parts to be manually coloured differently (ie. goggles and helmet different, player determined colours). Fusion Beta has taken a step back in this regard, as with my helmet I can only colour the bandanna, and not the helmet itself. Come on guys, give us options, not just kits.

In Game Replay Loading
Currently if you are having trouble with the line on a track and want to load up a replay, you have to exit your track, then go to leaderboards, then load a replay. Back in Evo, you could just load up leaderboards from the track and pick a replay to watch, and you were given the warning that your progression would be lost if you loaded a replay. Please bring this back. It is a much smoother system to use.

I'm certain my list will expand as I play a bit more, but this was what really stuck with me. I will note that some features are great, like the notification system if one of your friends beats you on a track, the challenge system is really cool, and the tracks are all lots of fun to play. (Don't really like Dirt Derby, but that's just me.)

I sincerely hope that there is still time before full launch to fix some of the issues that players have brought up from the beta. Everyone wants to see Trials Fusion be the best Trials game yet.

mtomato_
03-22-2014, 04:55 AM
My first impression were that the game looks very pretty and the soundtrack doesn't offend my ears.
The loading times are a bit long, which would add to the frustration when accidentally pressing A instead of restarting the track.

So I start the first training track, and at the very beginning, try to move backwards just to check if there are any easter eggs on the left.
But the bike doesn't move. I can go forward, and now I can go backwards.
I restart from the beginning, try to get the bike to move while not touching the right trigger on my controller and this happens:
http://i.imgur.com/alUF9Ot.jpg
The backwheel is supposed to rotate in Z-axis, not X-axis. It made a full rotation, which I wasn't able to repeat. When I tried, I could only get it up to where it's in the screenshot above.

There's also a glitch in the bike selection screen, where if you change the selection while zoomed out and zoom back in, it will zoom in to the previous bike.

aondw
03-22-2014, 06:02 PM
Ok, hoping Fusion full release is substantially different from PC beta, because there are some serious, and some minor flaws that need addressing.

Tire Glitches
This is without a doubt the biggest problem in the game so far. Different people I have talked to have experienced different levels of frequency of tire glitches, but all agree they are present. It has been my experience that they are substantially more frequent than in Evolution. Some of mine can be attributed to imperfect landings, but there have been enough times when I have been cruising along at high speed on a smooth ramp, and been bounced around for no reason, wheeling over a ramp to maintain momentum (only back tire down) and had my speed suddenly reduced, and wheels generally catching on terrain that should be otherwise smooth. The community has been very vocal about this problem throughout Evo, and I am thoroughly dismayed to see it so prevalent in Fusion.

None of mine have been quite this epic, but still run ruining: Sandy's Tire Glitch Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_s5C17fZ0Y)

Broken Replays
Well, Day 1 of Beta and already many of the top replays I have looked at have broken. For those unfamiliar as to what this means, midway through the replay, at any random point, the rider will crash and what is displayed on screen is not what matches the controller input symbols in the bottom right, or what the player did in his/her run. Once again this is an old Evo problem that I would have thought would be a priority to fix for the new Trials installation.

Bugged Leaderboards
Take a look at the global scores on PC beta. After less than a day of live trials score calculations are already totally screwy. Glitches like this ruin the integrity of the competition inherent in Trials, and for game longevity, need to be addressed.

Restart Functionality
Pressing the restart button sometimes functions as it does in Evo, where you get a Ready! Go! command. Other times it goes Ready! 3, 2, 1 Go! This should probably be standardized, much preferably the first option. There is also the capability to double restart if you press the select button twice, triggering the full countdown again, whereas in Evo this was not possible. The Evo method is much nicer to use.

Customization
I do hope that since this is a beta we do not have access to full bike and rider customization, because the current system affords FAR less options than those given by Evo. As it stands now, you can change the colours of two parts on your bike, rims, and body. Rims cannot be coloured individually, and cannot be customized individually (ie. same rim type on both front and back wheel). As far as the rider goes, you have 3 customization parts, head torso and legs, as opposed to the 5 (?) from Evo. In Evo a number of items had the option for different parts to be manually coloured differently (ie. goggles and helmet different, player determined colours). Fusion Beta has taken a step back in this regard, as with my helmet I can only colour the bandanna, and not the helmet itself. Come on guys, give us options, not just kits.

In Game Replay Loading
Currently if you are having trouble with the line on a track and want to load up a replay, you have to exit your track, then go to leaderboards, then load a replay. Back in Evo, you could just load up leaderboards from the track and pick a replay to watch, and you were given the warning that your progression would be lost if you loaded a replay. Please bring this back. It is a much smoother system to use.

I'm certain my list will expand as I play a bit more, but this was what really stuck with me. I will note that some features are great, like the notification system if one of your friends beats you on a track, the challenge system is really cool, and the tracks are all lots of fun to play. (Don't really like Dirt Derby, but that's just me.)

I sincerely hope that there is still time before full launch to fix some of the issues that players have brought up from the beta. Everyone wants to see Trials Fusion be the best Trials game yet.

Definitely a very good post, I hope that they really fix stuff up to the release, since they did not really do that in Evo Gold.

Ch4er0n
03-22-2014, 06:36 PM
Additionally I think it would be a very good idea to release multiplayer with the beta. The search functionality on Gold was horrendous, and it would be great if we could test the search on Fusion and give feedback.

IImayneII
03-23-2014, 12:06 PM
Additionally I think it would be a very good idea to release multiplayer with the beta. The search functionality on Gold was horrendous, and it would be great if we could test the search on Fusion and give feedback.

THey should open everything in the beta because that's exactly the point of a beta. For us to be able to test everything and let them know where to improve, what's broken. I mean, I read we won't even have mp on launch....so no mp probably means no TC too...

Can you even call it a launch when half of the functions are not working? :confused:

TheeDesecrator
03-23-2014, 06:43 PM
After getting the slow motion mostly under control (some tweaks in Catalyst Control Center & drop the resolution), I'm enjoying the beta quite a bit. I love the tracks and just started getting into the challenges. This is where it really shines for me. I knew I'd like the challenges, but it's my favorite new feature (until FMX is out, I bet I'll be spending a ton of time on that).

damassacre
03-23-2014, 07:43 PM
This is a problem that was fixed somewhere down the line in Evo:Gold Edition last year but i'm so sad to see it's back in fusion :(. The game is locked at 60 fps which means that if for whatever reason the FPS drops then the bike speed drops proportionally.(So the game plays at half speed if you play at 30 FPS!!) That means that the game is unplayable at anything <45 FPS. Most games are playable at those kinds of FPS and while 60 FPS is nice, not everyone has that kind of rig. Having a game unplayable at even 30 FPS is a design flaw in my opinion that should be fixed.
You managed to fix this last year, so here's to hoping you fix this this year before launch. Otherwise a generally solid game barring the following minor bugs:-
-despite playing with a controller, the button icons on screen are keyboard style. They momentarily change to xbox style icons when you do something on the controller, but then immeadiately change back to keyboard style. Almost as if they are constantly recognising some imaginary keyboard input from somewhere
-the restart track function is inconsistent. sometimes you get the "3,2,1,GO" countdown, and sometimes you get the shorter, convenient and preferred "ready, go" countdown. There doesn't seem to be some pattern for this. Might just be the smallest yet most incredibly annoying bug right now when all we can do is try to perfect our runs. (suggestion: add a speedrun mode to the game that lets you restart the track with B, with a very very short countdown)
-tire glitches!! god knows the number of back wheel bounces this has cost me. Is this intentional so as to make it harder to perfect a smooth landing?
-lots of broken replays
-global leaderboard calculations broken
-slow bike selection screen loading times

things i liked:
-the graphics
-the "story"
-the main menu UI(this is such a big improvement!! kudos!)
-the new bike names
-the soundtrack (I especially loved being "Welcomed to the future")

I guess the bugs turned out to be more than I had initially thought. Still a solid game overall. I just hope a month is enough time for you guys to fix all these bugs.

Ch4er0n
03-23-2014, 11:22 PM
This is a problem that was fixed somewhere down the line in Evo:Gold Edition last year but i'm so sad to see it's back in fusion :(. The game is locked at 60 fps which means that if for whatever reason the FPS drops then the bike speed drops proportionally.(So the game plays at half speed if you play at 30 FPS!!) That means that the game is unplayable at anything <45 FPS. Most games are playable at those kinds of FPS and while 60 FPS is nice, not everyone has that kind of rig. Having a game unplayable at even 30 FPS is a design flaw in my opinion that should be fixed.
You managed to fix this last year, so here's to hoping you fix this this year before launch. Otherwise a generally solid game barring the following minor bugs:-
-despite playing with a controller, the button icons on screen are keyboard style. They momentarily change to xbox style icons when you do something on the controller, but then immeadiately change back to keyboard style. Almost as if they are constantly recognising some imaginary keyboard input from somewhere
-the restart track function is inconsistent. sometimes you get the "3,2,1,GO" countdown, and sometimes you get the shorter, convenient and preferred "ready, go" countdown. There doesn't seem to be some pattern for this. Might just be the smallest yet most incredibly annoying bug right now when all we can do is try to perfect our runs. (suggestion: add a speedrun mode to the game that lets you restart the track with B, with a very very short countdown)
-tire glitches!! god knows the number of back wheel bounces this has cost me. Is this intentional so as to make it harder to perfect a smooth landing?
-lots of broken replays
-global leaderboard calculations broken
-slow bike selection screen loading times

things i liked:
-the graphics
-the "story"
-the main menu UI(this is such a big improvement!! kudos!)
-the new bike names
-the soundtrack (I especially loved being "Welcomed to the future")

I guess the bugs turned out to be more than I had initially thought. Still a solid game overall. I just hope a month is enough time for you guys to fix all these bugs.

great post, would love to see a response addressing our concerns

iStriide
03-23-2014, 11:33 PM
I'm pretty ****ing annoyed that there are tire glitches in this game. Fix the ****ing problem before releasing the actual game.

BenShermanUbi
03-24-2014, 11:17 AM
A question tho, is multiplayer going to be enabled during the beta phase?

Regarding your question about the Multiplayer mode, there will be no multiplayer in the beta.
More communication about Multiplayer mode to come later ;)

mtomato_
03-24-2014, 12:37 PM

Could it have been your mouse?
This happened to me also once, but I forgot to try unplugging my mouse to check that changes anything.

Anyway, I don't think it's good to have mouse movement to cause the button icons to change to represent keyboard controls.

damassacre
03-24-2014, 04:02 PM
Could it have been your mouse?
This happened to me also once, but I forgot to try unplugging my mouse to check that changes anything.

Anyway, I don't think it's good to have mouse movement to cause the button icons to change to represent keyboard controls.

Nah I'm pretty sure it's not the mouse because I tried disconnecting it before. I also think I would know if my mouse is causing problems. For instance, the same problem would appear in Evo gold but it doesnt. Are you saying you don't have this problem when you play Fusion?

Zurgery
03-24-2014, 05:26 PM
Overall very good game however there are some annoying features:

Bad points:
1. Not being able to view a leader board replay from the track (Pressing start in a game).
2. The 1, 2, 3 countdown really annoying especially trying to speed run. A improvement would be maybe a option to op out of the countdown or just Ready Go.

That's all I have for now..

Zurgery
03-24-2014, 05:29 PM
Nah I'm pretty sure it's not the mouse because I tried disconnecting it before. I also think I would know if my mouse is causing problems. For instance, the same problem would appear in Evo gold but it doesnt. Are you saying you don't have this problem when you play Fusion?

I had this problem the first day.
I just quit it all and reloaded with the controller connected and made sure I started the game with the controller.
This seemed to work for me.

aondw
03-27-2014, 04:24 PM

Seriously? This is so bad. To even program the game like this is ridiculous.
This has to be fixed up to release

Kaiser-Panda
03-30-2014, 05:15 PM
First, excuse my bad english, I'm french.

Customization

+1000

Other problem for me : impossible connection to Ubi servers. It is normal ?

Excepted that, I am very satisfied by the game. Very fluid, 60 FPS all the time.
Config for information :
- Intel Haswell Processeur Core i5-4670K / 3.40 GHz
- ASUS GTX770-DC2OC-2GD5
- Corsair Value Select 8 Go (2x 4 Go) DDR3 1600 MHz CL11

Nice job guys, thanks & good luck for the remaining work !

Morgan189
03-30-2014, 06:36 PM
Things to fix

It has been my experience that they are substantially more frequent than in Evolution.
- I would agree on that one, seem to be more frequent than in Evo. Furthermore i experience sudden reductions in speed when landing from higher points. I guess thats what they mean with "tire glitches".

- The broken replays are fixed for me since the Friday-patch, but cant confirm it 100% because many replays are too "old", and just cant be played back.

Back in Evo, you could just load up leaderboards from the track and pick a replay to watch
- I would like to see that too, although its a minor thing

- Just like in Evo, the mouse should dissappear when the track starts, regardless of using Keyboard or controller

- Notification center reminds me about the new patch everytime i start the game, or in certain time intervals.

The Good

- Played for ~4 hours now, and didnt experience any performance issues like i have in Evo (Gold) to this date. Very nice to see! It runs at 60 fps, on high settings, 1080p. When VSync is turned off, there is a lot of tearing, but when i turn it on the game looks really good! (Intel i5 750k, GTX 660 Ti, 6 GB RAM, Xbox360 Controller for Windows)

- Wanted to ask for the possibility to turn off the voice over, because its getting annoying when you hear it for the 10th time, but its already in there, very nice.

There are some minor things to fix, but overall, its a very good installment of the Trials Franchise, great tracks, amazing visuals and runs rock-solid on my PC. Challenges turned out to be really fun and there are some cool ideas. Looking forward to FMX Mode, improvements in the Track Central and if Multiplayer works on PC this time.

SixelAlexiS90
04-01-2014, 03:33 PM
Hi guys, the game is fantastic but i have a question:
can be ported the career progress to the final game?

tks.

Morgan189
04-01-2014, 04:08 PM
can be ported the career progress to the final game?

No, as far as i know, leaderboards including medals, personal bests, replays,... will be wiped on launch day. (Look at this post from Jokhr: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/863813-Responses-on-News-Announcement?p=9882302&viewfull=1#post9882302)

Kevin_Octa
04-02-2014, 02:44 AM
First Impression:

I forgot how much I loved trials for a little while (Only because I haven't picked up the Xbox in a while).
Insanely smooth. You didn't use Black magic to get a solid 60fps on everyone's pc did you redlynx? Did you sign a blood pact with someone that looked considerably red, with horns?
Brilliant tracks.
Really I just cannot wait until the editor goes live. If there's one thing I like more than playing trials, it's making trials.
I really have had no problems that I can think of.
Keep up the good work!

Windows 7 64 bit. Some old 6 core processor I can't remember the name of.
HD 7790 AMD graphics card.
12 gigs of ram.

inkrabid76
04-02-2014, 09:43 AM
What kind of weird next-gen future style are you dealing redlynx? I have to say that I really really hope that the weirdlooking "Biotech" player we get in Beta isn't going to stay with us into Alpha, nor the excruciatingly crappy music on the title screen. This sounds and feels like a throwback to 80's future, and is definitely -not- "next generation". Other than that, I've only played the game for half an hour and it FEELS good, I havent experienced any glitches or bugs yet, it runs a bit slow but that's probably my computers fault :)

IK

Xhane
04-03-2014, 11:22 PM
About the broken leaderboards, we want to make sure they are all fixed since the last wipe. Can yo let us know if leaderboards are working well on your side? Thanks!

IImayneII
04-04-2014, 12:39 PM
I have to say that I really really hope that the weirdlooking "Biotech" player we get in Beta isn't going to stay with us into Alpha

You know alpha comes before beta right? Beta is last stage before official release...

Welllitash
04-08-2014, 06:47 AM
What kind of weird next-gen future style are you dealing redlynx? I have to say that I really really hope that the weirdlooking "Biotech" player we get in Beta isn't going to stay with us into Alpha, nor the excruciatingly crappy music on the title screen. This sounds and feels like a throwback to 80's future, and is definitely -not- "next generation". Other than that, I've only played the game for half an hour and it FEELS good, I havent experienced any glitches or bugs yet, it runs a bit slow but that's probably my computers fault :)

IK

The first thing i thought after picking up the game was, why is this sooo cheesy. I played a lot of Trials HD on the xbox but skipped evo; I'm missing the grittiness of HD a lot. Perhaps some of the DLC i payed for upfront will bring some dirt back into trials.

After spending 7 hours with the game (cheesy or not I love the gameplay), i've noticed a lot of minor bugs, getting stuck in objects or flickering objects, a handful of clipping wheels, I'm not sure if this is supposed to make the game harder or if it is a bug. fmx is a cool addition, lots of weird positions that end with glitched limbs.

Also, I'm not sure whether this game feels 'stiffer' than HD. I remember HD being silky smooth for the most part, Fusion's bike feels more stiff..

Not much else I could really comment on, the available tracks are so easy they can become mindless, please provide lots of diversity in the tracks. The available tracks have interesting aesthetics, well crafted. I'm excited to see track creation mode, some of the moving objects in the levels are pretty cool. Will it be easier to design more complicated objects? I remember HD's editor to be tedious (maybe its just me).

#1 question: why so much cheese?
PS do you want pictures of issues? whats the best kind of feedback to leave?