PDA

View Full Version : Royal's Tracks ([unfortunately]aka killerkai_13)

rlmergeuser
11-14-2013, 09:54 PM
Hello everybody!
So i just thought that i'll create a thread to promote my own tracks as well. Here it is.
But be aware that my first tracks may not reach the quality of the later tracks, since this was the first time i have ever used an editor. Nevertheless, check them out http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon/wink.gif

1. Track: Feuer Frei! (named after the song "Feuer Frei!" by Rammstein)
It is my first try on this editor. Medium difficulty, highspeed track with some adrenaline moments.
Difficulty: Medium (although ingame it says "hard")

2. Track: System Of A Up (Everyone should know where this name comes from http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon/wink.gif )
Second track, it is a bit long maybe, but has nice visuals. Tried out experimenting with some physic mechanics.
Difficulty: Hard

3. Track: Darkroot Forrest (Area in the wonderful game "Dark Souls")
Takes place in a dark forrest, with a side on camera in a spooky theme.

4. Track: Highspeed Arena/Arena: Second Assault
I tried something special here. So i created a stadium and within this stadium i built two independent tracks, at once. Highspeed arena, as the name says, is all about going as fast as possible with a medium difficulty, whereas the second assault on the arena has a tougher difficulty.
Difficulty: Medium/Hard

5. Track: Indestructible (named after the song from Disturbed)
Takes place on a construction site with some strange UFO stuff going on.

6. Track: Darkroot Basin (The area in Dark souls, which comes after the "Darkroot Forrest")
After a short break after Indestructible, i saw a lot more potential in my Track "Darkroot Forrest", so i tried some stuff on it. The product of it: A huge update, the old track can barely be recognized again (except for the theme), the track got an own story, a new driving line with a very good flow and some new time savers. Also, a certain "Dark Souls flaire" has been added through custom objects. Overall, this is my favorite Track of all i have made so far, as it combines nice visuals with a really nice driving line. (Talking about the updated version, which will be finished 04.12.2013)
Difficulty: Medium

7. Track: Red & Blue
Saw this Track on the Box and i liked the idea of changing the track while driving it, so i picked it up. Then i thought, i'd just try some stuff out, so this track has no real theme but some crazy and surprising stuff. In space. Check it out and don't forget to press that right analog stick to change the environment.

8. Track: Super Mario Trials
Save the princess, collect coins and avoid Goombas! A lot of custom objects on this track and an easy, yet challenging driving line, worked into an old school Super Mario Theme. I hope you enjoy this retro track!
Difficulty: Easy

9. Track: Super-Mario-Cross
The princess from "Super Mario Trials" was just a lie. Your princess is in another castle. Maybe in this one? Take 3 friends with you and find out, as this is my very first SX track. I hope you enjoy this one!

10. Track: Full Steam Spacemachine (named after an AWESOME song of Royal Republic)
Well, what's to say about this one? It is in space and takes place on an research site of a german moon base...Almost sounds like Iron Sky http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon/biggrin.gif Check it out, it is the first track to completely fill my compexity-meter and i used some custom objects that i found on psycads website for sharing these objects. You definately gotta check this site out, as there are really nice objects to download! http://trialsprefabs.com/
Furthermore, there are also many many custom objects i created myself, some twists into game mechanics (Don't stay outside for too long) and an option to change the camera filters pressing LB, RB, Left Stick and Right Stick.

11. Track: Extreme Steam Machine
So this is FSSM with normal gravity, no suffocation mechanic and harder obstacles. My thoughts behind it were to create a medium track out of FSSM with normal graviy and no suffocation, since i can understand why people do not like it. But during building the track i found out that the extreme difficulty would better fit to this track, so i tried that out. It is my first time I built an extreme track, probably the last time as well, since i am not skilled enough to test the track myself, which makes it hard to get a good consistens into the obstacles. Nevertheless, i think the track is worth checking out, so enjoy it!
Difficulty: Extreme

12. Track: Master Of Puppets
The driver woke up and found himself in a destroyed, a flooded city. Desperately, he tries to escape and questions a higher entity, why this is happening. "Master, Master, where's the dream that I've been after?". Will he get an answer to that question? "Master, Master, you promised only lies"
A real highspeed track with an medium driving line. The fastest line is pretty hard to get though, as there are many many small time savers and a few shortcuts as well, so making it into the top places can be a nice challenge.

13. Track: Tropical Island
Easy, nice looking Track. Not too much of a challenge, but still worth playing. Enjoy it!
Difficulty: Easy

Original Post (Originally, this thread was about a different topic, but i did not want to create a second thread):

Hello riders,

I am new to this forum and to Trials itself as well. I recently picked up on the Track Editor and spent the last two weeks building some tracks. I really put a lot of time into it these days.
Nevertheless, i feel that i can still improve A LOT. Since the in-game rating system does not give me any information about what is good and what is bad concerning my track's driving line, its background action, style and whatsoever, i signed up into this forum to get some helpful and constructive critics from other users.
I really enjoyed my last Track, its called "Indestructible" and i would ask you to check it out and leave a feedback below. I am thankful for any helpful advice and i am looking forward to your feedback.

My gamertag in Uplay is (and i am really not proud of this name, as it sounds like im a little boy... which i was when creating this account a looong time ago) killerkai_13

Eddeman
11-16-2013, 01:39 PM
Well, I played Indestructible for a bit and it was an interesting experience.

You seem to be pretty ambitious with all those objects placed and crazy stuff going on, but you seem to lack direction for it.
There was no real theme going on in it, and it was easy to tell it was just lots of random objects placed on the big flat part of the map
which isn't really interesting.

The driving line had quite a few "gotcha!" moments where you got explosives in your face and stuff which
feels more like a "loltrack" than something you want to try again to improve your time on it.
The lighting on the track seems to be the default setting, changing that can really affect the feel of it for the better.
Obstacle difficulty seems to be a bit too varied (compare the simple jumps earlier in the track to the very end of it).

I did like some of the custom objects that were animated, like the yellow crawling machine thingy and the plane/rocket(?) that flies past in the beginning
and then shows up again at the end of the track, burning in the wall of the building. Some of the physics and trigger stuff was kinda fun, first time I fell
down into the big hole with the containers I got a bit of an adrenaline kick. I guess you're going for mostly crazy/show-off style tracks?

My advice to you, wether you want to make normal or show-off tracks is to try and set the track in a more interesting location (or make your location interesting).
Some terrain mods can help you with the landscape and texture, craft some interesting background objects rather than the standard building walls (or make the buildings interesting http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon/razz.gif)

Get some sort of theme going, start simple like countryside at sunset or whatever and try to use objects that would fit with that theme (or make them fit in the theme somehow).
If you get stuck you can always look at other tracks for inspiration (just don't copy-paste stuff from them http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon/razz.gif).

Also try to put some thought into the driveline like which difficulty are you going for and what bike will you be using for it.
Generally Hard or Extreme tracks are run with the phoenix, others can usually be run with almost any bike.
Try to keep a consistent level of difficulty across the whole track, have other people test it and give their opinion about any driveline problems or what they think of the decorations.

Putting out a track that looks and plays good can take a lot of time, so don't release stuff before you feel you can't do much better.
There's a lot of track on track central, you don't need to release several per week to get attention, better way is to make something great :]

Hope that helps, you can always add me on uPlay (Eddeman87) if you need some tips or help testing.

Morfyboy
11-16-2013, 03:31 PM
youve come to the right place for feedback mate..Just dont take it to heart when people are honest..Its all positive at the end of the day..
BTW, welcome...http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon/smile.gif

rlmergeuser
11-18-2013, 12:14 PM
Thanks for your reply eddeman!

When i started building the track i wanted it to have some kind of construction site theme. But during building the track i had the problem that it started lagging so much, since i retextured the ground with sand and built holes and stuff like that. I often have the problem that my complexity meter just fills way too fast so that i cannot build exactly what i wanted to and have to cut off great stuff. Do you have any tips concerning this complexity-meter problem?

I do not really aim to build "loltracks", i'd rather have tracks people enjoy playing a second time. But at the same time i also like involving somehow surprising elements, like the part with that container. I think i need to find a good balance between these two options.
The variety of obstacle difficulty is a big problem i have, since i am not a reaaally good driver and am also a bit scared of loosing players on hard obstacles. I will try working on it. It would be nice to have a good driver testing my tracks, unfortunately none of my friends are playing this game.

It feels nice that someone likes these custom objects, as they really take effort to build them http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon/smile.gif
Though i must admit that i've seen a similar crawling machine on a track of... i think it was psycad, not sure though. The track is called "Construction site" or "Rotten Streets" and i liked that machine a lot, so... credits to psycad or whoever built the track. That was my inspiration http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon/wink.gif
The red thing you saw is called "awesome plane", which got its name because it is unbelievably ugly. I try involving it in many of my trials tracks, since it was my very first custom object and it looks hillarious. I want that somewhen in the future people see this ugly plane and recognize it in my tracks. But if they won't its ok, because I myself like it a lot.

Nevertheless i get your point and i can agree with you. On my next track i try to make it more interesting and more consitent in terms of obstacle difficulty.
I would just love to have an advice concerning this stupid complexity stuff.

Off topic: its nice to get such a feedback, where someone obviously put some effort into it and made his thoughts. I have never expirienced that in another games forum before, so thanks again.

IImayneII
11-18-2013, 12:44 PM
Hello

Nice to see a new builder on the forum. I'll check your tracks as soon as I fix my game (since it's broken again)

if you want a testdriver, feel free to add me on uplay (bassline001)

for the complexity: you can lower the view distance of the track, that should help alot. and you can try setting objects where you have alot of them (like alot of planks on one part) that are triggered by physics bubble of the rider but you don't drive over on decoration only (in the advanced options of the object). You can do it on the driving line too, but then you have to use custom collision or an invisible plank/ramp so you don't fall trough them.

Custom objects are always nice to see in tracks as they can make your track really stand out, doesn't matter where you get your inspiration from. Also have a look at the trialsprefab site psycad made, there are some custom objects/setups there that could be helpful.

And remember: don't rush out tracks if you want quality, build what you like and try to incorporate tips that other builders give you so the tracks get more consistent in background/theme/driving line. If you build for other people you will get bored pretty fast since you have to test your tracks alot before you release them.

maybe also add your name to the title so it's easier to find if you plan on making a thread for all your tracks

IImayneII
11-18-2013, 05:49 PM
just played 3 of your tracks, with the state of TC being so bad that was the best I could do for now.

some quick tips:
- curved driving lines can lead quicker to lag on the track specially if you go in rounds so maybe try to avoid curving them too much
- transitions: like from box to a ramp, make sure they aren't too bouncy for the rider, try smoothing it out with a custom collisions or invisible ramps
- don't use too much effects on the driving line (smoke/fireworks) or tone down the particles because I couldnt see my rider at some places and that's annoying most of the time
- better alignment of the objects on the driving line, harder to do with a curved dl but you should avoid it (use the snap to driving line for an object)
- when you use physics objects don't make them interfere with the rider (like in indestructible the floorplate drops when you go up but you can hit it while it drops)

Eddeman
11-18-2013, 07:51 PM
Bassline has some very good tips for you there, another big one in terms of complexity is seed buildings. I made a litte comparison pic for you:
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j136/Eddeman_87/th_Complexity_zpsc31c3c64.jpg (http://s79.photobucket.com/user/Eddeman_87/media/Complexity_zpsc31c3c64.jpg.html)
(Click for bigger)

Top left is a single story seed building, already taking some decent complexity. Top right is a 3-story seed building taking even more.

Bottom left I made a sort of similar building using single wall, floor and roof parts.
Not exactly the same so it might have slightly more complexity if I changed some parts, but it's still loads better than the seed building

Bottom right I've removed two of the walls and the floor, which might be possible to do if you're certain those parts are never gonna be in view anyway.
Takes a tiny bit off the meter but might be worth doing. If there's windows you can see through I usually just place a black water plane inside it to cover them.
Set it to decoration only, wave height 0, reflection 0 and substance and the fade thing to whatever makes it solid black.

Little example from one of my tracks:
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j136/Eddeman_87/th_2013-11-18_00007_zps276224ae.jpg (http://s79.photobucket.com/user/Eddeman_87/media/2013-11-18_00007_zps276224ae.jpg.html)
"Front" of the track that everyone can see.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j136/Eddeman_87/th_2013-11-18_00008_zps6b30b890.jpg (http://s79.photobucket.com/user/Eddeman_87/media/2013-11-18_00008_zps6b30b890.jpg.html)
And the "back", everything hollowed out pretty much (except the first building which I couldn't bother rebuilding http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon/razz.gif)
Still used up most of the complexity anyway haha.

A tip when building with individual parts is to use the snap function. Should be in the lower right of the screen (select workplane),
just press it and then select a single wall piece and you should get a snap-plane visible.
Press the 3 buttons next to the workplane button (snap x, snap y, snap z) then bring up the editor settings and set the snap distance to 4.00m

Copy or place another wall piece, bring it sort of close to your first one and press Ctrl + R to have it snap into place. Then just group stuff up and copy them, snap into place and repeat.
Takes a bit longer of course but it's worth it.

rlmergeuser
11-19-2013, 02:50 PM
Thanks again guys, these are really helpful advices!
Really nice explained, maybe you help others as well with that http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon/smile.gif
I have added both of you in Uplay, as soon as I have finished my current track, i'll ask you guys what you think of them.
Let's see how your tips and tricks will work out for me http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon/smile.gif
But it will probably take a time until the track is finished, since i did barley start building it and I am without Trials Evo for a week now (it's horrible!).

I think i have played a few of your tracks bassline and eddeman, or at least i saw them on redlynx picks. So it's nice that you "pros" try to help a noob.

rlmergeuser
11-26-2013, 10:32 PM
OP has been updated http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon/wink.gif

rlmergeuser
11-27-2013, 09:02 PM
Well, sorry for "spamming" track central, but i will release an updated version of my latest track, Darkroot Basin (greetings to everybody who has played the best game in the world - Dark Souls) within this week.

Changes:

-Optimisation for speedruns, in terms of involving some time savers, so you can really get into the track to get awesome times. Also made the driving line more smooth and visible at parts where it was hard to figure out where to go
-Added a whole new game camera, so you do not stick to the original camera i implemented in that map, which some players found weird. Simply press LB/RB to flawlessly switch between the cameras at any time during the run
-finally fixed this damn buggy swinging cage in the end, so it will no longer freak out on occasion (sorry for that being an issue so far, but I just couldn't figure out what the problem was. Thanks to bassline001 for helping me with that, but also for helping me on many other things)
-Added some objects from Dark Souls (Executioner Smough, Sunbro Solaire as well as Bonfires as checkpoints)
-increased performance by removing one or two unneccessary effects
-Track can now be cleared with every bike except for the rattler
-modified some obstacles so that they really fit into a medium difficulty track
-doubled the awesomeness of the track

My next track will definately be released in a state, where no update is needed!
Hope you enjoy the track, since THIS track really took a lot of effort, especially the camera changing thing, as well as making it playable and nice-looking for both perspectives.

Have a good ride and don't be shy on posting your thoughts and your critic on the track here or in a PM!

rlmergeuser
12-02-2013, 12:54 PM
The topic has been updated. This thread should now be a list of all my trials tracks. Nevertheless, feel free to write some feedback here or in a PM. I welcome every form of feedback.

rlmergeuser
12-05-2013, 02:43 PM
New track is in the making. Working title: Full Steam Spacemachine (title of a really royal song)
May take a while, as i need to experiment a lot on this one.

rlmergeuser
12-07-2013, 01:24 AM
I must say, it is really unexpected but i came into a massive flow of creativity and Full Steam Spacemachine has already been finished!
Enjoy it!

Inquisitor_FIN
12-07-2013, 01:25 AM
I played the two Super Mario tracks recently and I must say that you're improving quite well. Keep up the good work!

rlmergeuser
12-07-2013, 10:44 AM
I played the two Super Mario tracks recently and I must say that you're improving quite well. Keep up the good work!

Thank you, nice to hear that http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon/smile.gif
The thing with these tracks was that i focused a lot mor on driving line, since the visuals weren't too hard to build.
But on my latest track i have noticed that i still have problems combining nice visuals and a driving line.
So it may take a while until you see a visually AND driving line - wise really good track.
But i'll try improving more and more and i learn new stuff on every map!

I welcome every one who has to say something about my tracks, so more feedback pls! http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon/smile.gif

rlmergeuser
03-12-2014, 08:36 PM
Hey Guys, good news!
I have just released a new track http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon/smile.gif
Its called "Warehouse Rock" and i think its a pretty nice track, so i hope you enjoy it as well.
See you on the Leaderboards http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon/wink.gif