PDA

View Full Version : New map: Strange Planet

rlmergeuser
04-30-2013, 03:35 PM
I tried a different type map if you want try something different you can see this

Map name: Strange Planet
Uplay name: RED_C0BRA

Here my replay:

clkJcSlTCsw

rlmergeuser
04-30-2013, 05:10 PM
Had to watch your replay because I got a little too tired of trying to make it to the first checkpoint.

So many cool ideas, such poor execution. I loved what you were doing with those huge creature constructs and the effects were also nice, but the track's gameplay/driving line was pretty poor and ranged from uninteresting to annoying, at least by looking at the replay.

It was great to see what you have done with the atmosphere and those crazy flying insects, really cool stuff. I suppose if you could mix this style with more focused / interesting driving line and leave all the novelty stuff in the background, that would be a very nice track to play.

Inquisitor_FIN
04-30-2013, 05:14 PM
Gonna dl and test this once I get home tomorrow. Will post feedback

rlmergeuser
04-30-2013, 05:35 PM
Here my replay:

clkJcSlTCsw

IImayneII
04-30-2013, 07:55 PM
Since you take the time to ask for input, I will definitly go play it later, but already wanted to give some points I like and don't like based on your replay. And to be fair, based on your replay I wouldn't play it twice altough there are some cool ideas in there.

- looks like you have put some precious time of yours into the track (for the creatures and effects) but it looks like you missed putting time into the driving line (wich is the most important). There is just not much going on, you just have to drive till the next creature. So maybe even putting them closer together would help.
I don't understand why you let the rider do some laps around that spider when there is nothing more going on? This is almost 10 seconds (yes i timed it a bit) pointless driving

- I don't like the afterburner in trial tracks, but I like that you put the afterburner before the first CP because this is more based on luck than skill imo, so having that in the middle of your track would definitly break the flow of the track and probably get me irritated lol.

- the camera seems too far from the bike, for me at least (you can't even see the bike for a while after the afterburners when you are on the ground) and near the end on the spider, that camera change looks awkward. You should set it to interpolate, not to cut so there is more flow to the change because nobody will be expecting that. And maybe let the wings flap with the creatures that are just hanging in the air?

Theme: I like the theme but it's maybe not consistent enough (too many different things). Don't try to cram too much in one track, I did this too in the beginning but I found out a consistent theme is far better then just keeping things in your track because you like that part. You can always use them in a different track, and maybe even make 3 tracks with the same theme but other creatures, like you can discover different parts of the planet with each track and get to know the planet better each time. And maybe make a last track with all creatures in.

To get you motivated, I really like the atmosphere, the creatures, the fact you actually put some effort in the track. I have definitly seen worse tracks and you have some cool ideas. I think when you get better at building, I will definitly love your tracks. Just remember, driving line is important (no boring places), the camera. If you want you can always add me on uplay and ask me to testdrive a track you are working on. I will be happy to help you improve your building skills.

Important
I don't know if you already made a track or not, but make sure to make one topic for all your maps, you want people to find them as easily as possible. And move your replay to your first post, this also applies to new tracks, you don't want people to scroll down the thread to find your tracks and replays.

rlmergeuser
04-30-2013, 08:40 PM
Thank for tips, i'm amateur yet. Etc. i was thinking make hanglide for begin but i couldn't do it... I can do more things if i try. I shared this map to see players like or dislike these type maps.

IImayneII
04-30-2013, 08:56 PM
Depends on who you want it to like. If it has a good driving line, I think most people on the forum will like your track. But if you take a look at TC it looks like most people will like almost everything, you will definitly get some good criticism on the forum to help you improve tough, altough it's never certain how many people you will reach with your track since TC produces so much crap.