PDA

View Full Version : area effector with moving object

IImayneII
04-15-2013, 02:40 PM
I am trying to get a ufo following the rider with the object position event.
This works, but I glued an area effector to the ufo, wich should increase in force with a curved data source over time but this doesn't seem to work.

So my question is: can you use the area effector with an object that continuously moves (following the rider)? Because this setup worked with an ufo that was stationary (moved to position of a dummy object).

Morfyboy
04-15-2013, 03:09 PM
you dont need the area effector..the best way i think is to speed up your duration at the point you want it to move faster, but using the CDS, and a delay switch...im not on trials atm, but one of the guys will help.but you defos dont need the area effector...

try setting the curve data source on a different curve...that might be something to try first..

IImayneII
04-15-2013, 04:46 PM
Sorry I was obviously not clear about what I tried to do.

I wanted the ufo to lift the rider when he stops. Think I solved it by using the area effector not glued and bounded to another object position event following the rider, this seems to work. The only thing is that the area effector affects not only the rider, but also the ufo. I'll probably still use it tough, but should I be able to set it up so only the rider is effected.

Barrybarfly
04-15-2013, 04:48 PM
Sorry I was obviously not clear about what I tried to do.

I wanted the ufo to lift the rider when he stops. Think I solved it by using the area effector not glued and bounded to another object position event following the rider, this seems to work. The only thing is that the area effector affects not only the rider, but also the ufo. I'll probably still use it tough, but should I be able to set it up so only the rider is effected.

Just set it to only target one object instance and target the rider. http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon/wink.gif

IImayneII
04-15-2013, 06:38 PM
Ok thanks, don't know how I missed that option.

I also want the ufo to fly higher at some points (triggered by area trigger). I have a vague idea on how to do it, but if someone done something like this already and could help, would be appreciated.

Barrybarfly
04-15-2013, 06:43 PM
You could use two input operators to make the ufo's position follow the rider at a different distance. You can use set value events, VDS and curved data sources to make it move further away (higher) gradually. I think. I havent tried it, but it should work in theory.

IImayneII
04-15-2013, 07:41 PM
Ok it worked thanks.

Only one problem (not related) is the ufo dissapears when I reset to a checkpoint. Is there an easy way to let him stay above the rider between two points on the map, so he keeps follows the rider also after a reset. An area trigger at every cp would help probably, but is there another way to do this?
I tried unchecking the reset in cp restart from the curved data source/object positioning event/impulse event but doesn't help.

Barrybarfly
04-15-2013, 07:44 PM
Ok it worked thanks.

Only one problem (not related) is the ufo dissapears when I reset to a checkpoint. Is there an easy way to let him stay above the rider between two points on the map, so he keeps follows the rider also after a reset. An area trigger at every cp would help probably, but is there another way to do this?
I tried unchecking the reset in cp restart from the curved data source/object positioning event/impulse event but doesn't help.

You need to uncheck reset in the UFO properties as well. http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon/wink.gif