PDA

View Full Version : Trials Gold - New Creators Competition!

rlmergeuser
03-30-2013, 08:47 PM
Greetings.

Since the official competition was a huge fail imo, I decided to initiate a community driven competition. There is no prize, only the satisfaction of winning.

How will it work?
Before you upload your track, make sure you have TGNCC in your track name (Trials Gold New Creators Competition). Then, post the name of your track and your Uplay username in this thread.

The competition will run from - 01/04/2013 to 14/04/2013 - basically a 2 week window!
After the 14th of April, I'll create a new thread and everyone who played the tracks will vote on which one they think is the best.

Rules?
YOU MUST NOT HAVE ANY PREVIOUS TRIALS EVO EXPERIENCE - 360 creators - sit this one out... This is only for NEW track creators - aka ones who haven't played Evo before.
Also, star rating your track gets will not influence the final vote!
Note, if you've played Trials Evo on 360 and tried using the editor once or twice, but never really spent any time on it, go ahead and enter this contest. I just want the pros to stay away!

So yeah, if anyone wants to participate, feel free to join! I hope at least a couple of people will get involved and I hope we'll be seeing some long awaited quality tracks.
Have fun, and get creative!

rlmergeuser
03-30-2013, 09:40 PM
I've only ever driven tracks on Xbox. Only created 1 track (edit, it was sheet and only got a few downloads) to get the achievement. Can I compete?

Maybe a month is a bit long considering there's no prize. A week or 2 would be better so its not forgotten about?

rlmergeuser
03-30-2013, 10:10 PM
Alright, I'll shorten it to 2 weeks http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon/biggrin.gif.

Umm, I guess if you haven't been making tracks and only really messed about on the editor before, not doing anything serious, sure, why not!

I just want all of the pros to stay away

Jarr3tt88
03-30-2013, 10:56 PM
wow...No need to be snotty about it, and the RL comp WASN'T a fail. Sorry you thought things would happen another way.

Morfyboy
03-30-2013, 11:10 PM
to many good, comps with prizes dude...

rlmergeuser
03-30-2013, 11:12 PM
I think the comp wasn't fair. It should have been about the new and upcoming track creators. The guys who won are well established track creators. They had virtually no competition.

It's like opening an art school, and then giving the awards away to Picasso, Van Gogh and Munch... POINTLESS!

Inquisitor_FIN
wow...No need to be snotty about it, and the RL comp WASN'T a fail. Sorry you thought things would happen another way.

I don't think anyone can argue that the competition failed to showcase new builders as it sorta was supposed to

rlmergeuser
to many good, comps with prizes dude...

What do you mean? I can't decipher what you're trying to tell me...

Morfyboy
03-30-2013, 11:14 PM
exactly wot i said...you are very confrontational arnt you.....

rlmergeuser
03-30-2013, 11:20 PM
exactly wot i said...you are very confrontational arnt you.....

No, I just don't understand what you wrote.
Are there too many competitions? Or too many good tracks? Or is this comp going to fail because of the lack of prize?

I'm not trying to be a *****, I'm just not sure what you were trying to tell me

Jarr3tt88
03-30-2013, 11:21 PM

I don't think anyone can argue that the competition failed to showcase new builders as it sorta was supposed to

Where did it say it was supposed to showcase new builders? All builders on Evo gold are "new" because the game JUST came out.

Mike you could have just made this comp and not been a **** about it honestly come on. Its being childish saying PROS STAY AWAY.

Theres nothing wrong with saying you're having a comp and you would like new builders, inexperienced only to enter.

rlmergeuser
03-30-2013, 11:25 PM
First of all, it was assumed that new track creators were going to be featured, since the editor is copy pasta from 360 version, so why the heck would you want to make a comp on trials gold for vets of trials series - if you're following me.

Secondly, I mean "stay away" in a joking manner... Jeez man, I was a bit of a joke...

Jarr3tt88
03-30-2013, 11:30 PM
First of all, it was assumed that new track creators were going to be featured, since the editor is copy pasta from 360 version, so why the heck would you want to make a comp on trials gold for vets of trials series - if you're following me.

Secondly, I mean "stay away" in a joking manner... Jeez man, I was a bit of a joke...

Well edit it, cause its not funny.

And no I'm not following you. Why shouldn't the 360 editors have been able to enter? How is that fair to them?

rlmergeuser
03-30-2013, 11:37 PM
Thanks for derailing the thread.

They shouldn't be able to enter 'cause of the prior experience of using the editor! There is no point in a competition for a "new release" if everyone uses their prior experience to create good tracks. Why wasn't that comp on the 360? You'd at least get more varied tracks... This was quite literally like taking candy from a baby...

nannerdw
03-31-2013, 05:03 AM
Why wasn't that comp on the 360?
because the point of that contest was to have tracks in Redlynx Picks upon release. If they had intended for the contest to be for inexperienced builders only, they would have stated that in the rules.

I like the idea for this contest. I think it would be good to find a way of promoting it outside of the forum as well, though (maybe a Youtube video or something?); since the majority of new builders probably don't know about the forum yet.

ConfusedMuscles
03-31-2013, 03:49 PM
The trials gold comp was a fail? Realy man? Did you really think Redlynx wanted to make a comp that focusd mainly for novices, award them free stuff and feature mediocre tracks on redlynx picks. I don't think so. The comp was a success. Three great tracks are now available to play in RL picks. What good would it do to award people redlynx picks who haven't fully learned the edtor yet. It would just bolster their ego and make them think they don't need to improve their track making skills. No offense to the other two tracks in RL picks now, put only the three comp winners should be there.

Whil I don't agree with you excluding anyone with experience from your comp, it is a good idea to get people wanting to build. But since the goal of this comp from what I read is to finaly get some decent tracks to play, you are going about it the wrong way. Having a comp for novices, only giving them two weeks to make a track, giving no incentives,i.e. prizes, leaving out people who have proven they have the ability to make quality tracks and expecting to finally get some decent tracks to play is not going to happen with your current criteria.

rlmergeuser
03-31-2013, 03:55 PM
The trials gold comp was a fail? Realy man? Did you really think Redlynx wanted to make a comp that focusd mainly for novices, award them free stuff and feature mediocre tracks on redlynx picks. I don't think so. The comp was a success. Three great tracks are now available to play in RL picks. What good would it do to award people redlynx picks who haven't fully learned the edtor yet. It would just bolster their ego and make them think they don't need to improve their track making skills. No offense to the other two tracks in RL picks now, put only the three comp winners should be there.

Whil I don't agree with you excluding anyone with experience from your comp, it is a good idea to get people wanting to build. But since the goal of this comp from what I read is to finaly get some decent tracks to play, you are going about it the wrong way. Having a comp for novices, only giving them two weeks to make a track, giving no incentives,i.e. prizes, leaving out people who have proven they have the ability to make quality tracks and expecting to finally get some decent tracks to play is not going to happen with your current criteria.

The point isn't to have good tracks to play... That's not what I meant.

What was the point of this comp being on PC if only the xbox creators won? It might have just been on the 360, would've made no difference.

Doesn't matter if someone creates a fun but "mediocre" track as their first attempt, btw, doesn't mean they should be up against people who created tens if not hundreds of tracks. Complete and utter BS. Redlynx picks are usually complete BS anyhow, look at that pogo nonsense

ConfusedMuscles
03-31-2013, 04:04 PM
Ok, I understand why you don't want to have experinced builders, but the redlynx comp was not a fail. It is good for trials gold that quality builders have crossed the bridge over to gold. Having quality picks right off the bat will show new builders what is quality and what they should shoot for. I haven't been on the 360 track central in over 6 months so I don't know how the RL picks are. The three comp winners are all worthy of RL picks. Hopefully that trend continues.

cris-tan10
03-31-2013, 04:30 PM
The reason RL gave the win to the advanced builder is cus they spend more times in there track. It wouldn't have been fair that someone who spent 2 hours on their tracks to win, now would it? The tracks that won took a long time to create, I now that just by looking at them.

rlmergeuser
03-31-2013, 08:22 PM
The reason RL gave the win to the advanced builder is cus they spend more times in there track. It wouldn't have been fair that someone who spent 2 hours on their tracks to win, now would it? The tracks that won took a long time to create, I now that just by looking at them.

They won because they made quality tracks, not because they spent a ton of time (although I'm not saying they did not spend a lot of hours building). I don't like your implication that the losers put in minimal effort. I spent 50 hours on my track. However, that didn't make it good [I'm new, bad and really inefficient at the editor).

I'm fine with this competition excluding experienced creators, that's the contest creator's prerogative.

I disagree with Mike8, and agree with a lot of you. Nowhere was it implied in the Beta Build Off contest that new track builders were the sole target of the contest. All it called for was the best tracks possible in the time allotment. The only (very minor) problem I had with the Beta Build Off was that the community managers didn't edit their OP's to reflect updated information.

cris-tan10
03-31-2013, 09:56 PM

They won because they made quality tracks, not because they spent a ton of time (although I'm not saying they did not spend a lot of hours building). I don't like your implication that the losers put in minimal effort. I spent 50 hours on my track. However, that didn't make it good [I'm new, bad and really inefficient at the editor).

I'm fine with this competition excluding experienced creators, that's the contest creator's prerogative.

I disagree with Mike8, and agree with a lot of you. Nowhere was it implied in the Beta Build Off contest that new track builders were the sole target of the contest. All it called for was the best tracks possible in the time allotment. The only (very minor) problem I had with the Beta Build Off was that the community managers didn't edit their OP's to reflect updated information.

Usually. More time spend in a track= better track.

rlmergeuser
04-01-2013, 04:41 AM
Usually. More time spend in a track= better track.

Well... yeah, I agree. The point of my first sentence was my second sentence. It was not to state that more time does not usually = better track.

MurdocLoch
04-01-2013, 06:02 AM
what's to stop a seasoned creator from making another uplay account with an unknown name and submitting - this would have also worked for the redlynx contest if, as you've suggested, it had the same requirement your contest has - there's no way of telling who is really behind a tag and therefore you may still be dealing with seasoned creators - a seasoned creator could make ten tracks and submit them all from different accounts - just saying

http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon/think.gif

Inquisitor_FIN
04-01-2013, 11:27 AM
what's to stop a seasoned creator from making another uplay account with an unknown name and submitting - this would have also worked for the redlynx contest if, as you've suggested, it had the same requirement your contest has - there's no way of telling who is really behind a tag and therefore you may still be dealing with seasoned creators - a seasoned creator could make ten tracks and submit them all from different accounts - just saying

I would like to think that people had more integrity than that in this community

rlmergeuser
04-01-2013, 01:00 PM

First of all, they'd have to buy Trials on each Uplay accound, second of all, you'd have to be incredibly sad to do this, I mean, how desperate are you for attention?

RetiredRonin
04-03-2013, 05:23 PM
Hey guys,

Maybe Mike worded his post a bit awkwardly, but I'm all for a competition for newer builders. The aim of the Beta Build Off contest was to get some good extra content onto Track Central and, in that regard, it was a success. I would have loved to have a few different tiers in the contest, but, as Murdoc pointed out, there's nothing to stop an Xbox 360 player from registering on Uplay with a different tag and stealing a win from a new builder.

We ran the Beta Build Off with rules that we could enforce, and selected winners from what was submitted. Everyone who purchased Trials Evolution Gold Edition (during the Beta period) was allowed to enter a track. I don't see how there is any other way to fairly run such a contest.

Best,
Shifty

rlmergeuser
04-03-2013, 05:37 PM
Hey guys,

Maybe Mike worded his post a bit awkwardly, but I'm all for a competition for newer builders. The aim of the Beta Build Off contest was to get some good extra content onto Track Central and, in that regard, it was a success. I would have loved to have a few different tiers in the contest, but, as Murdoc pointed out, there's nothing to stop an Xbox 360 player from registering on Uplay with a different tag and stealing a win from a new builder.

We ran the Beta Build Off with rules that we could enforce, and selected winners from what was submitted. Everyone who purchased Trials Evolution Gold Edition (during the Beta period) was allowed to enter a track. I don't see how there is any other way to fairly run such a contest.

Best,
Shifty

I see what you mean. I think that me and many others were under the impression that the contest was suppose to focus on new builders, perhaps showcasing new talent. This is probably down the the fact I don't read posts too carefully, but anyway...

I'm glad you support the idea, I just hope people are actually interested and want to get involved.

Oh by the way, can you play trails from a second ubi account? So you could change your name, since Uplay doesn't allow you to do that...

Smeghead89
04-03-2013, 05:58 PM

i was just coming to say all this myself, and yeah sure u'd have to be incredibly sad to do something like this but im afraid there are some incredibly sad people out there, its a bit extreme to think that someone might buy the game 10 times to enter ten tracks but i can easily see someone doing it with 1 account for 1 track, people may have already made an account with a different name to their xbox profile someone who was un-liked or something and wanted a new start.

i also like the idea of an amature comp to encourage new builders so maybe having no prizes is actually a good idea (sum1 would b less likely to make a new account for this), but like i said someone may already be a good builder with a different name and might just enter for the ego boost.

good luck with this tho m8, im not sure how u can go about it but it would be nice to see some beginners battling it out and if any of them ever made it to be great builders then it would be cool to have their 1st stuff documented in a beginners comp.