PDA

View Full Version : Paradoxical Events

rlmergeuser
04-30-2012, 12:48 AM
I don't know if this has been covered before but its definitely useful.

I brought this up in the Guide to the Editor thread before Evo's release. I asked if it were possible to make a barrel pop in and out of existence (visibility) using events, impulses, filters, and data sources. And I am just confirming that it is possible. Not only is it possible to set it to just a binary state of 0 or 1, but it can become a Multi-nary paradox to any degree, you just have to continually plug in the extra parts.

In my explanation I'll put a number between parenthesis. This number represents the current value of the Variable Data Source as its being calculated by the game.
The way it works is that an Interval Trigger sends an Impulse to a Filter which checks to see if a Variable Data Source (0) equals 0. If it does then, using a Set Value Event, it increases the Variable Data Source (0) by 1 (1). If it doesn't then, using another separate Set Value Event, it decreases the Variable Data Source (1) by 1 (0).
Now every time an Impulse is sent by the Interval Trigger, it changes the Variable Data Source between 0 and 1 depending on the value of the Variable Data Source at the time the Impulse is sent.
What can you do with this? Well for example, spawn a Barrel, go to it's properties, highlight the Visibility property, press Y, choose the Variable Data Source, then Test the Track. Every Interval that the Interval Trigger sends an Impulse will cause the Barrel to change from visible to invisible.

That was quite thorough, I know, but I just want to make this clear to people.

If anyone wants me to explain the Multi-nary version I can, However, it gets a little more complicated.