PDA

View Full Version : Tips for making difficult enough skill game?

mutetus
04-27-2012, 09:46 PM
I'm making a long skill game, but how do the developers make sure it's difficult enough, yet possible to be driven through? I want to make it as hard as possible towards the end, even so hard that I can't finish it myself of course, but how do I know if it's even possible to complete the whole track? Should I just drive through a certain point a hundred times and see how many times I get through?

RetiredRonin
04-27-2012, 09:49 PM
Yes. It's all about testing. Make sure it's fun and balanced.

mutetus
04-28-2012, 12:07 PM
So if I drive through one obstacle 100 times and I manage to pass it 10 times, there's a good chance someone else wouldn't get frustrated?

rlmergeuser
04-28-2012, 12:13 PM
So if I drive through one obstacle 100 times and I manage to pass it 10 times, there's a good chance someone else wouldn't get frustrated?Well it would all be relative to that person's and your skill levels. Maybe try and get as many testers as possible of different skill levels?

Jarr3tt88
04-28-2012, 03:25 PM
Mini games and skill games are going to require the MOST amount of testing. Of course it depends on the size of it. I have two examples:

Clean Sweep
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loVD_wPQu0A

Static Flips
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj6SojBZ1-8

Static flips took me about 3 hours to make. About 1 hour each of deco, testing and designing. Obviously theres not much deco going on here so that wasn't too bad. The testing wasn't so bad either I only adjusted the physics tool twice to get to where it was. The bulk of it was trying to make sure the physics were consistent. Designing was easy as well as I knew how to make a countdown timer and end the game on 0, plus adding time wasn't hard either connecting it to the flip counter. 12 = 12 impulse to increase 10 secs.

Clean Sweep was much more difficult and involved. Spent a total of about 4-5 days (at night) trying to get this to work correctly. Ran into several problems with scoring (for the game to know how many bombs were found, for leader board placement) making sure one button press gave a point for finding a bomb, but ALSO took it away for when removing it. Once I got both the numbers to work correctly and the bombs to work correctly, I made the full game. Took about 25-30 hours probably.

In your situation, you just have to keep testing the obstacles. Try and get as far as you can. Just set the plat to where you know its possible to get (or a little passed). and if the ninja's wanna go farther they can