PDA

View Full Version : BMTBMXs Evo Tracks (NEW Jan 19 - Backcountry Trials)

rlmergeuser
04-26-2012, 08:10 AM
Hey Guys,

Below is a list of my Trials Evolution tracks. I will simply update this thread rather than create a new one every time I create a track.

**NEW**

"Backcountry Trials"
Creator: BMTBMX
Trials
Extreme
Released 19/01/2014

After about a year and a half off, I started playing trials again and got myself hooked. I decided to fire up the editor and give a try at an extreme track. This is my first extreme!

I don't have many Xbox friends who play trials anymore so I apologize if my skills caused medals that are way easy to get for most of you guys!

I'd really appreciate if anyone could download and give it a shot, then come back here and give me some feedback! Same goes for my last track below (BMX Grind N Manual) since I didn't actually get any feedback on that in the past year and a half, and it took me a long time to code!

Thanks everyone.

"BMX Grind N Manual"
Skill Game
Medium
Released 16/11/2012

I'm back into making tracks after a school/work related delay.

This track is a BMX style manual/grinding skill game. There are obstacles that have two colours (Green and Blue) and you are to nose manual/toothpick grind or manual/icepick grind the corresponding obstacles. I had a lot of fun putting this together, the physics of the BMX make it super fun!

"Nose Wheelie Skill2"
Skill Game
Medium
Released 04/05/2012

I am addicted to making skill games. I love creating scoring schemes with the coding tools, I don't know how to explain it!

This is another nose wheelie skill game, much much much better than the first. I don't like forcing the rider to bail if they don't complete the entire nose manual, so I took that part out of the level. Instead, you are scored on the cumulative distance that you have nose manualled on the objects. I made the score primary, and the faults secondary. This way you don't need to get a 'perfect' run per se, and people can't get higher on the leaderboards by simply getting a 0 fault run. That being said, at 75 faults the game ends... can't have people trying to run perfection over and over.

I also made a 'progress bar' in this design which shows the percentage of the current obstacle that you have manualled. Just a sort of indicator to how well you did on that particular obstacle.

I actually had a lot of fun doing the background on this track. It's usually my least favorite thing to do as I have a hard time coming up with ideas, but it really came to me easily this time so comment on that if you can, what I did right/wrong etc.

Try it out, manual it out, and let me know what you think!

"BMX Skills Comp"
Skill Game
Medium
Released 30/04/2012

This new track took me a LONG time to set up the scoring. I think this might be the best scoring mechanism I have made, it is also extremely accurate and fair!

*EDIT*
Someone figured out how to glitch the score. I set the trigger for the flips a bit too close to the edge of the jump and they were able to repeatedly flip the first take-off like a quarter pipe http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon/sad.gif I fixed this and re-uploaded under "BMX Skills Comp"
I actually couldn't be more disappointed in myself (and the glitcher!) right now; I spent so much time making sure it was flawless and didn't think that glitch was possible. The trigger is set on the very top of the jump... some dedicated cheaters out there that's for sure. Now that everyone can view the replays, it's just going to make that original upload full of glitchers.
*END EDIT*

*Double Edit*
People keep glitching the score on the backflips. It sucks, as it is unfair to everyone who plays the skill game legit. I'm not going to bother with uploading a third copy. I'll just learn from those mistakes when I make the next one.
*End Edit*

In this track, you are tested in four categories: Flips, Nose Manuals (Nose Wheelies), High Jump, and Long Jump.
Each category has it's own 'section' with a cinematic that explains how to do the section.
At the end, your score from all the sections is tallied!

I made it so you can always restart in the track, It's not one of those tracks where a crash causes the game to end. Doing this was very tricky as I had to make sure that any scores were reset if the rider crashed or restarted. But in the end it all worked out and I am super proud of my scoring code.

Let me know what you think, I would really like to see some intense competition on the leaderboards for this track.

"Junkyard Tech"
Trials Track
Hard
Released 28/04/2012

Thanks to T4K Shadow for the video! Click HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf37fcze618&feature=player_embedded) or scroll down to see it.

This track is by far my best effort to date (including Trials HD) to create a challenging technical track. I don't know if this track would border on an 'extreme' difficulty, but I don't think it should. There are only a few overly challenging obstacles and I think they are much easier than those in the extreme tracks.

The track is themed in a 'junkyard' type style, I put a lot of effort into this track, I made sure there were checkpoints where there should be, tried my best to theme the track properly (which I find challenging) and tested it over and over, and over.... and over... to get it right. I then had some fun with the editor with an ending cinematic.

I would appreciate all sorts of criticism on this track. This is my first real venture into the technical track genre and I feel really proud about my effort!

Thanks in advance.

"Nose Wheelie Skill"
Skill Game
Hard
Released 26/04/2012

You have to nose wheelie as far as you can down a handrail set up at some stairs. I've set up the scoring to be as fair as possible, distance is not counted until your front tire hits the rail, so you can't simply jump far at the start for a quick gain, I've also implemented other triggers and events to prevent any type of 'cheating' that may occur.

Check them out on Track Central and let me know what you think!

rlmergeuser
04-26-2012, 08:35 PM
You are talented! I like the idea, but can't do a nosewheely to save my life. Gonna keep an eye on your next tracks for sure http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon/clap.gif

rlmergeuser
04-26-2012, 10:02 PM
Thanks dude. I came out of nowhere and managed to nosewheelie the entire thing a few hours ago, I actually didn't even think that was possible.

I'm working on a proper trials track right now, then I will probably do another skill game. The skill games are too fun!

rlmergeuser
04-29-2012, 02:06 AM
New track posted, Junkyard Tech:

"Junkyard Tech"
Trials Track
Hard
Released 28/04/2012

This track is by far my best effort to date (including Trials HD) to create a challenging technical track. I don't know if this track would border on an 'extreme' difficulty, but I don't think it should. There are only a few overly challenging obstacles and I think they are much easier than those in the extreme tracks.

The track is themed in a 'junkyard' type style, I put a lot of effort into this track, I made sure there were checkpoints where there should be, tried my best to theme the track properly (which I find challenging) and tested it over and over, and over.... and over... to get it right. I then had some fun with the editor with an ending cinematic.

I would appreciate all sorts of criticism on this track. This is my first real venture into the technical track genre and I feel really proud about my effort!

Thanks in advance.

rlmergeuser
04-29-2012, 07:43 PM
I love the Junkyard track. It's hard as hell on the first couple of tries, but if you're good you can really fly trough it as well. There is a lot of room for improving your times which is what a good technical track needs.

It's one of the very few tracks with bends in it that don't hinder the flow and my favorite part is jumping over the three small platforms as it can be done slow and steady as well as full throttle.

As for the looks, it's full of stuff going on in the background that doesnt feel out of place, really well done.

5 stars from me for this one, the checkpoints are placed just right to prevent frustration too http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon/wink.gif

ahh_me2
04-30-2012, 12:24 AM
I love the Junkyard track. It's hard as hell on the first couple of tries, but if you're good you can really fly trough it as well. There is a lot of room for improving your times which is what a good technical track needs.

I agree with the above I guess, but I'm still not liking the tight curve bends the rider goes through....maybe in time it'll grow on me who knows.

Otherwise...good concept for a track, looks good, and rides fairly well.

rlmergeuser
04-30-2012, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys! I honestly appreciate it; it's painful to put so much time into something and not hear anything at all about it, so thanks again!

As for the curves, I agree that they are awkward. The way they are treated in game seems odd, if you go slow enough through a curve, watch your tires as they warp/bend to try and match the OLD driving line before the curve.

I tried to put the curves in places that were as slow as possible. Usually at the top of tough obstacles, and I also tried to put an obstacle directly after the curve that would make you slow down, so you couldn't go fast through the curves, which I agree is a bad thing.

It's definitely something to think about though - not putting curves (or only very subtle ones) in the tracks.

Keep it comin!

T4KShadow
04-30-2012, 12:42 AM
qf37fcze618

I liked it alot. It's one of those tracks where (as one of the other guys said) you can always find faster ways or take off a few seconds each time. It's also a thoughy to 0 fault! Not sure how I survived my run lol, as you can see there's more than a few sections where I should have crashed. http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon/clap.gif

rlmergeuser
04-30-2012, 01:56 AM
I think the track is really good. Very well decorated and plays good too. I like the ending cinematic as well.

After the really high jump, from that platform if you speed up enough you can pretty much go over that wall obstacle, which I doubt is an issue, but doing that, you can get sort of stuck on the wall and if you lean over enough you can activate the next checkpoint without actually having cleared the obstacle. Not a big issue, just wasn't sure if you realized it.

rlmergeuser
04-30-2012, 02:08 AM
Thanks so much for the video T4K, That's awesome! Good job on 0 fault too, I haven't done that yet myself, but I am not the most consistent trials rider and I knew that the more skilled players would definitely be able to do it.

IuIz, I was aware of that checkpoint being obtainable from the wall above. I couldn't move it around much without either setting the rider terribly for the next obstacle, or making him crash from the stuff behind him. I decided to leave it in, because anyone who wanted to skip to it from above would be taking a fault and slowing themselves down anyways. Also that platform jump is something that can save you lots of time if perfectly executed, as you can get your back tire on top of the slant wall and leap across and over the next one if you time it right.

I also found a short cut after submitting to TC that is pretty funny, after the first turn, at around 16 seconds into the video there is a sign that points down indicating that you need to drop one level on the scaffolding (Which is what T4K does). I put this sign here as a guide to the rider to go that way, but I found out you can just jump on top of it pretty easily and skip the annoying spool of cables on the path below.

Those two shortcuts combined, with a good player, could probably get a 45ish second lap!

Also thanks for the comment about the ending cinematic. It actually took me ages because I was using physics at first and it was way outside the bubble, so I had to learn animation and then implement it again.

rlmergeuser
05-01-2012, 02:30 AM
New Track on Track Central!

"BMX Skills Comp"
Skill Game
Medium
Released 30/04/2012

This new track took me a LONG time to set up the scoring. I think this might be the best scoring mechanism I have made, it is also extremely accurate and fair!

*EDIT* Someone figured out how to glitch the score. I set the trigger for the flips a bit too close to the edge of the jump and they were able to repeatedly flip the first take-off like a quarter pipe http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon/sad.gif I fixed this and re-uploaded under "BMX Skills Comp"
I actually couldn't be more disappointed in myself (and the glitcher!) right now; I spent so much time making sure it was flawless and didn't think that glitch was possible. The trigger is set on the very top of the jump... some dedicated cheaters out there that's for sure. Now that everyone can view the replays, it's just going to make that original upload full of glitchers.
*END EDIT*

In this track, you are tested in four categories: Flips, Nose Manuals (Nose Wheelies), High Jump, and Long Jump.
Each category has it's own 'section' with a cinematic that explains how to do the section.
At the end, your score from all the sections is tallied!

I made it so you can always restart in the track, It's not one of those tracks where a crash causes the game to end. Doing this was very tricky as I had to make sure that any scores were reset if the rider crashed or restarted. But in the end it all worked out and I am super proud of my scoring code.

Let me know what you think, I would really like to see some intense competition on the leaderboards for this track.

rlmergeuser
05-01-2012, 08:49 AM
Nice concept loved the different event aspect of it.
I think you hit I winner with this and hey don't worry about the glitch look at the red lynx skill games.
I gave you 5 stars for this one
Will defenatly recommend
monsta bonza

rlmergeuser
05-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Nice concept loved the different event aspect of it.
I think you hit I winner with this and hey don't worry about the glitch look at the red lynx skill games.
I gave you 5 stars for this one
Will defenatly recommend
monsta bonza

Thanks dude! Glad you liked it, I am super proud of that track.

I'm just really gutted about the glitch. I set the scoring a certain way and basically if people watch that replay, they will be able to hit the top score pretty easily and then the leaderboards will just be full of that top score.

rlmergeuser
05-04-2012, 10:13 PM
New track, OP updated.

"Nose Wheelie Skill2"
Skill Game
Medium
Released 04/05/2012

I am addicted to making skill games. I love creating scoring schemes with the coding tools, I don't know how to explain it!

This is another nose wheelie skill game, much much much better than the first. I don't like forcing the rider to bail if they don't complete the entire nose manual, so I took that part out of the level. Instead, you are scored on the cumulative distance that you have nose manualled on the objects. I made the score primary, and the faults secondary. This way you don't need to get a 'perfect' run per se, and people can't get higher on the leaderboards by simply getting a 0 fault run. That being said, at 75 faults the game ends... can't have people trying to run perfection over and over.

I also made a 'progress bar' in this design which shows the percentage of the current obstacle that you have manualled. Just a sort of indicator to how well you did on that particular obstacle.

I actually had a lot of fun doing the background on this track. It's usually my least favorite thing to do as I have a hard time coming up with ideas, but it really came to me easily this time so comment on that if you can, what I did right/wrong etc.

Try it out, manual it out, and let me know what you think!

rlmergeuser
11-17-2012, 05:48 AM
New track! (OP Updated)

"BMX Grind N Manual"
Skill Game
Medium
Released 16/11/2012

So I have not been home all summer, and then went straight back into school, therefore I have not really had time to play trials. I finally was able to finish up this new track with the DLC content after only having a few hours a week to play.

This track is a BMX style manual/grinding skill game. There are obstacles that have two colours (Green and Blue) and you are to nose manual/toothpick grind or manual/icepick grind the corresponding obstacles. I had a lot of fun putting this together, the physics of the BMX make it super fun!

I am a BMX rider myself as the name implies, so I built in a few bonus scores for doing 'perfect' manuals and nose manuals. A perfect (nose)manual is when you do not use the brakes or the gas; pure balance. A firework goes off when you've completed a perfect manual and you get a small bonus to your score.

I modified the way the score is tallied thanks to an idea by Dasraiser. The score is calculated as (4-faults/5)*Distance There is a maximum fault count of 15, so by that time your score is just equal to distance.

I really like this idea for scoring, because it doesn't put everyone with 0 faults on the top of the leaderboard, but it also rewards a low-fault run.

The background scenery is derived from my last track, but I made everything look broken and run down due to the 6 months that I was not playing the game.. nature took it's course.

Please check it out, try to manual/grind everything, and let me know what you think!

rlmergeuser
01-20-2014, 12:08 AM
I have a new track! The title post is updated to show this.

"Backcountry Trials"
Trials
Extreme
Released 19/01/2014

After about a year and a half off, I started playing trials again and got myself hooked. I decided to fire up the editor and give a try at an extreme track. This is my first extreme!

I don't have many Xbox friends who play trials any more so I apologize if my skills caused medals that are way easy to get for most of you guys!

I'd really appreciate if anyone could download and give it a shot, then come back here and give me some feedback! Same goes for my last track below (BMX Grind N Manual) since I didn't actually get any feedback on that in the past year and a half, and it took me a long time to code!

Thanks everyone.