PDA

View Full Version : Pistons

rlmergeuser
04-20-2012, 04:38 PM
ok.. I'm building a dump truck and i wanna use a push piston to raise the bed of the truck which will dump it's load. Problem is, I can't figure out how to get the piston into its shell. I've noticed there is one of each but they're not already assembled. I've fooled around with leaving physics off for the shell, and turning the piston's physics on and then trying to guide it into the hole.. no luck mang.. so, any ideas?

rlmergeuser
04-21-2012, 01:23 AM
ok.. I'm building a dump truck and i wanna use a push piston to raise the bed of the truck which will dump it's load. Problem is, I can't figure out how to get the piston into its shell. I've noticed there is one of each but they're not already assembled. I've fooled around with leaving physics off for the shell, and turning the piston's physics on and then trying to guide it into the hole.. no luck mang.. so, any ideas?

i figure it out... not possible. actually not really but it is still unsolved.

rlmergeuser
04-21-2012, 01:27 AM
Wouldn't it be easier to use an angular joint?

If you want a piston, you can use a linear slider joint and make the actual visual piston to have no collision.

rlmergeuser
04-21-2012, 03:40 AM

If you want a piston, you can use a linear slider joint and make the actual visual piston to have no collision.

Thanks, I'll have to try that, but if were to try and piece together a piston into its shell or housing, how would I do it? is there a simplified way?

rlmergeuser
04-23-2012, 05:07 AM

thanks for your help, for a while i was still trying to create a piston. i found two ways of achieving what i wanted to do. i fiddled with both the force mechanism (can't think of the exact name right now) and also what you mentioned with the linear slider joints. thanks again, it worked!