PDA

View Full Version : Editor Question?

TurtleIsSlow
04-13-2012, 07:27 PM
I am big on building tracks as some of the people that have friend'ed me to see them can vouch for. I can see that there is a complexity level for each "area per say" to keep the bit rate to a minimum so there isn't lag in the game. BUT..... I was wondering about the max item limit for the entire world for one track. Say for example, Like HD had limits over all on the board with area complexity. Eventually you will run out of items you can use even if each area complexity is not maxed out. Not to say I want to make a board with millions of items just wondering what the creative level is limited to. Or is it based on how much "power" each item uses. Like flames are obviously heavy on the Xbox processor.

The reason I ask is because the world is http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon/dance.gif SO LARGE http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon/dance.gif And I am a fan of Long levels, since we can bend the drive line I wonder just how long a track can be etc.....

This may be answered already but I have not come across it yet, that and I am just trying to pass the time till I can get my hands on it.

Jarr3tt88
04-13-2012, 07:48 PM
You can make the driveline as long and winded as your heart desires. The max items is larger than THD. The items in the premade world only count a small portion towards the track file size.

sipe
04-13-2012, 08:00 PM
Object overall complexity is based on memory footprint, not on "rendering compelxity". Object with simple structure like average metal barrel is going to have less overall than complex objects which contains multiple parts.

We didn't want to limit users with by area compelxity like in Trials HD. If you spam objects like hell, you can create laggy tracks but you might get poor ratings for your track. Track central submit does have "filtering" for tracks which has really bad frame rate.

Gigatrack takes about 6-7 minutes to complete and around 5km long if I remember correctly. 30 minutes is time cap for track length like in HD so you can create really long tracks if you wish, but you just need to be aware that too long checkpoint gaps could irritate some players who needs them.

sipe
04-13-2012, 08:06 PM
You can make the driveline as long and winded as your heart desires. The max items is larger than THD. The items in the premade world only count a small portion towards the track file size.

Precisely. You should use base world as much as you can. You can easily add 2x more objects compared to HD editor before hitting overall complexity limit / filesize limit. But raw object count is not the key ingredient for great track.

rlmergeuser
04-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Object overall complexity is based on memory footprint, not on "rendering compelxity". Object with simple structure like average metal barrel is going to have less overall than complex objects which contains multiple parts.

We didn't want to limit users with by area compelxity like in Trials HD. If you spam objects like hell, you can create laggy tracks but you might get poor ratings for your track. Track central submit does have "filtering" for tracks which has really bad frame rate.

Gigatrack takes about 6-7 minutes to complete and around 5km long if I remember correctly. 30 minutes is time cap for track length like in HD so you can create really long tracks if you wish, but you just need to be aware that too long checkpoint gaps could irritate some players who needs them.

Heheh. I am one of those people. XD

rlmergeuser
04-13-2012, 10:11 PM
30 minutes is time cap for track length like in HD so you can create really long tracks if you wish...
Aww, i was hoping this would be removed, or upped to 60 minutes at least. Is the limit for faults still 500 aswell?

Just yesterday i played someones über extreme track in HD and i got to the last obstacle with 50 faults and like 5 minutes left. I couldn't make it, and that was incredibly annoying. I will probably never ever try that map again after that.

If there was no limits, i could've completed it and said "Sure i got 600 faults but at least i could complete it".

TurtleIsSlow
04-14-2012, 03:29 AM

Precisely. You should use base world as much as you can. You can easily add 2x more objects compared to HD editor before hitting overall complexity limit / filesize limit. But raw object count is not the key ingredient for great track.

That is exactly what I was looking for thank you for such a precise reply. I don't plan on making them crazy long/Hard and all just remember running out when I made a few tracks the entire possible length of HD limits. It wasn't crazy hard or anything but I did reach my limit of items. I am glad to know it is based on memory though, It will help me to determine on how many moving parts over all to implement on my tracks.

I did notice on the videos provided there are many more "completed" items now which is a HUGE plus. Such as buildings/scaffolding, pre-made items and such which was a major reason Parts are so scarce in HD. It takes a lot of parts to make a simple line look like it is not just Hanging out against all laws of physics http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon/wink.gif . I truly can't wait to see what the creative collective of Trials Fans can come up with.

rlmergeuser
04-14-2012, 12:17 PM
I had an extreme track idea, and wondering if it was possible.

Basically, it would be on par with a medium, but the difference is in the play.

Would it be at all possible to do a co-operative track? By means that one person controls the bike, and the other controls the rider?????

rlmergeuser
04-16-2012, 08:37 PM
Would it be at all possible to do a co-operative track? By means that one person controls the bike, and the other controls the rider?????

haha That would be interesting. Reminds me of old school Goldeneye 007 for the 64 where you can setup the controls to have one person control the movement and the other the gun and aiming.

rlmergeuser
04-16-2012, 09:44 PM
I believe that would be possible, as a custom skill game. Might take some sophisticated understanding of the new advanced editor, though.

From what I understand, those two players would have to both be playing on the same XBox, though (Antti said this in an interview, in reference to the custom Foosball table game). The editor won't support simultaneous custom play online, just local.