PDA

View Full Version : Complex Engine Management Question

zoomar2
03-29-2004, 11:20 AM
I'm a long-term IL2/FB/AEP player. I had been looking forward to the complex engine management option, but when it came out it was too complex - no simple toggles to raise/lower pitch/mixture, etc., and didn't like the absence of a default keyboard setup for it. I only have a keyboard and older MS joystick. I have also always wondered that if you keep using simple engine controls does the engine AI work as if you are using complex controls in a perfect manner, or does it chug along at a piddly middle setting? THanks.

Would anyone mind sharing their keystrokes for full complex engine management, incl separate engine start/control?

zoomar2
03-29-2004, 11:20 AM
I'm a long-term IL2/FB/AEP player. I had been looking forward to the complex engine management option, but when it came out it was too complex - no simple toggles to raise/lower pitch/mixture, etc., and didn't like the absence of a default keyboard setup for it. I only have a keyboard and older MS joystick. I have also always wondered that if you keep using simple engine controls does the engine AI work as if you are using complex controls in a perfect manner, or does it chug along at a piddly middle setting? THanks.

Would anyone mind sharing their keystrokes for full complex engine management, incl separate engine start/control?

Gershy
03-29-2004, 11:40 AM
Hi.
It depends pretty much on which planes you like to fly. I fly the German fighters so I don't really need fuel mixture a.s.o. I have a Saitek Cyborg. I have prop pitch on F1 and F2 button on the stick. and the default Shift0 to switch between manual and auto. In the FW for example it's ok to use 100% pitch most of the time. In a 110 and a 109 you have to be a bit more careful Just try it yourself. Takes some practice but once you know how it's working it's nice. Although I only use manual to climb or run http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif in a 109 and auto during combat as I like to concentrate on other things while in combat.

-----------------------------

So long.We wish you well.
You told us how you weren't afraid to die.
Well then, so long.Don't cry.
Or feel too down.
Not all martyrs see divinity.
But at least you tried.

Teufel_Eldritch
03-29-2004, 12:15 PM
Here is my set up...

number keys 1-0(1 being 10 & 0 being 100) = power
'-' & '=' keys = decrease/increase power

shift + number(1 being 10 & 0 being 100) keys = prop pitch
shift + '-' & '=' keys = decrease/increase prop pitch
shift + ` = auto ptich
shift + [ = supercharger first stage
shift + ] = supercharger 2nd stage

cntrl + number(1 being 10 & 0 being 100) keys = mixture
cntrl + '-' & '=' keys = decrease/increase mixture
cntrl + ` = auto mixture
cntrl + [ = magneto previous
cntrl + ] = magneto next

alt + number keys = select/unselect engine(s)(useful for multi-engined ac)
alt + [ = select/unselect left engines
alt + ] = select/unselect right engines
alt + \ = select/unselect all engines

Then after I did all that I took the ones I use most & bound them to my jstick.

YANKEE ROSE
-----------
"For a world of happiness & equality is but a fantasy driven by men who envy the ruling class."

[This message was edited by Teufel_Eldritch on Mon March 29 2004 at 12:40 PM.]

El Turo
03-29-2004, 01:27 PM
I've setup as follows:

Pitch
Insert= +10%
Delete= -10%

Mixture
Home= Increase
End= Decrease

Supercharger
Page Up= Increase
Page Down= Decrease

I have prop-pitch mapped to my index rotary control on my X45 throttle which is PERFECT for it. I really don't use the mixture or supercharger controls often enough for me to warrant mapping them to the HOTAS, so I leave them in my "bundle" on the keyboard.

I find it helpful to have the radiator/cowl flaps mapped to a button on my joystick as well as the dive brake for the P-38L.

Callsign "Turo" in IL2:FB & WWIIOL

zoomar2
03-31-2004, 11:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by H_Butcher:
I've setup as follows:

Pitch
Insert= +10%
Delete= -10%

Mixture
Home= Increase
End= Decrease

Supercharger
Page Up= Increase
Page Down= Decrease

I have prop-pitch mapped to my index rotary control on my X45 throttle which is PERFECT for it. I really don't use the mixture or supercharger controls often enough for me to warrant mapping them to the HOTAS, so I leave them in my "bundle" on the keyboard.

I find it helpful to have the radiator/cowl flaps mapped to a button on my joystick as well as the dive brake for the P-38L.

Callsign "Turo" in IL2:FB & WWIIOL

THanks for the help everyone. "Dive brakes"? No wonder I always plow my Lightning into the ground at 800kph!

TgD Thunderbolt56
03-31-2004, 12:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zoomar2:
THanks for the help everyone. "Dive brakes"? No wonder I always plow my Lightning into the ground at 800kph!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course that's only for the "L" model. Dive too low and too steep in the "J" and you'll still be drilling for oil. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

http://home.earthlink.net/~aclzkim1/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/il2sig2.jpg