PDA

View Full Version : PSN and/or Steam-Versions?

rlmergeuser
06-07-2011, 12:48 PM
I'm really feeling let down by you guys.

No announcement of a PS3 or PC-Version? Why? How much is Microsoft paying you?

Or is it just some kind of promotional contract, where you don't get any actual money but your game is promoted on Xbox Live?

Whatever it is, its definitely not a good call to only bring it to Xbox, you'd be making (tons) more money if you also brought it to PSN and/or Steam...

Colors_of_Life
06-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Whatever it is, its definitely not a good call to only bring it to Xbox, you'd be making (tons) more money if you also brought it to PSN and/or Steam...
Not necessarily. Sometimes companies fork over more money for making a game an exclusive since people have to purchase their console to play it.

Multi-platform releases can also be complicated since you'd have to work it out so that it's released on each platform simultaneously.

xPrOFeSsi0NaL
06-07-2011, 04:51 PM
If its released on ps3 i guess i'll be getting it on my ps3 too haha

xPrOFeSsi0NaL
06-07-2011, 07:01 PM
Im not getting into this debate

RetiredRonin
06-07-2011, 07:21 PM
With the current state of Sony's Online Service, I wouldn't put out a game available exclusively as a digital download on it.

johnsalis
06-07-2011, 07:26 PM
F*** ps3 ! i have one but Trials is an xbox game !!!
Trials was on the computer long before the Xbox 360.

rlmergeuser
06-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Yes, it was wasnt it. your point ?

RetiredRonin
06-07-2011, 07:41 PM
He was making the point that Trials is not just an xbox game. Jackwagon.

xPrOFeSsi0NaL
06-07-2011, 07:43 PM
You should just stop HighDeff

johnsalis
06-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Yes, it was wasnt it. your point ?
Trials is a multi-platform series so I don't see why it shouldn't be released on the PS3. Though I'm not a fan of the console, more people would get to enjoy the game that way.

xPrOFeSsi0NaL
06-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Trials is a multi-platform series so I don't see why it shouldn't be released on the PS3. Though I'm not a fan of the console, more people would get to enjoy the game that way.

Agreed

Euphoric Fusion
06-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Agreed
One thing that no one has considered here is the possible time it would take to develop the game on both consoles.
Xbox -> PC is more than likely the easiest and the most viable option, but Xbox -> PS3 is not so simple and would take alot of time, especially for a studio like Redlynx who are relatively small in comparison to "AAA" developers who have the time/money/staff/resources to develop multi platform.
I know that Redlynx are more than capable of developing on the different platforms available, but to my knowledge none of those titles are for more than one platform at a time.

And Shifty has a valid point about Sony's online service. I can't stand PS3/Sony and everything it stands for so it's of no consequence to me that it's not on PS3, but let's be honest, Trials Evolution would have had an unfortunate debut on PS3 if it was released last month and there is no telling what impact that has had on PS3's forseeable future.
Redlynx did the smart thing in my opinion. They have built a game that is based around OUR feedback from Trials HD, and for that we should be grateful and humbled that there is a develloper out there that actually listens to it's fans.
Even if it's a timed exclusive, we will know that it was us Xbox gamers that made the difference.

RetiredRonin
06-08-2011, 12:52 AM
Even if it's a timed exclusive, we will know that it was us Xbox gamers that made the difference.

I actually disagree, if it weren't for the Trials 2 SE beasts, we wouldn't be playing Trials on our Xbox 360's.

I know that there was quite a bit of anger from them over Trials HD being an Xbox exclusive after they played T2SE and gave extensive feedback.

As a game developer Redlynx has to look at what game they want to make, and then select the best platform to ensure the highest number of sales. The Xbox 360's Marketplace has proven itself as a viable game market for Trials games.

I don't want to sound like a know it all or something, but when you have over 2 million sales for a title (DLC an Core) as an arcade game then a sequel for the same platform is really a no-brainer.

I also believe that this was the main reason for developing Trials HD for a console. I don't know how many copies of Trials 2 SE sold, but I am willing to guess that the revenue generated by the console version of Trials far exceeds the computer versions.

As a company you need to do what is good for your company. With the recent attacks on the Playstation Network and the pledges by hacking groups to continue these attacks, and the Class Action Lawsuits being filed over personal data stolen by Sony's inability to protect it's users information, I don't think that right now would be a time when I would put out a digital download on their system.

Euphoric Fusion
06-08-2011, 01:01 AM
Very well made point sir http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

rlmergeuser
06-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Not necessarily. Sometimes companies fork over more money for making a game an exclusive since people have to purchase their console to play it.

Definitely not for an Indie-Title that is only downloadable. At least I can't imagine it. Sure, maybe MS gave them a couple hundred thousand bucks. When they could make at least 5 million by bringing it to PSN I don't think thats such a good call (pulling these numbers out of my nose though).

Multi-platform releases can also be complicated since you'd have to work it out so that it's released on each platform simultaneously.

Castle Crashers was released on PSN like 2 years after it came to Xbox Live. Sure, its an extreme example. But other games also came out first on Xbox Live and only later made their way to PSN. I don't see any problem with that.

With the current state of Sony's Online Service, I wouldn't put out a game available exclusively as a digital download on it.

The "up and running" state, with 90% the activity of before the outage? Not to bad an idea if you ask me.
And seriously, there's a ton of awesome PSn exclusives (just as there are good Xbox Live exclusives).

I just don't get why anyone would do such a thing (at least not with an indie title).

I can't stand PS3/Sony and everything it stands for so it's of no consequence to me that it's not on PS3, but let's be honest, Trials Evolution would have had an unfortunate debut on PS3 if it was released last month and there is no telling what impact that has had on PS3's forseeable future.

What does Sony stand for?
Tons of better exclusive titles than Xbox? Not f*cking PC gamers by not releasing exlusive software on its own OS (because they have none - the absurd thing being that Sony is still a huge force in PC gaming with its MMOs, while Microsoft isn't a force anymore at all... man I hate them)? Free online gaming? Having a more open platform to developers than MS?

Yeah, I hate these things too...

As a game developer Redlynx has to look at what game they want to make, and then select the best platform to ensure the highest number of sales.[/quote]

Or, you know, select all three viable platforms and make twice as much money.

xPrOFeSsi0NaL
06-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Ulix FTW!!!

RetiredRonin
06-08-2011, 08:40 PM
If you don't still see the problems being encountered on the Playstation network then good for you. Just for example I have not been able to reset a password for my account because that server is down, and has been down for over 4 days.

I also think it's funny that you are using the "it's free" argument. Yeah, it's free to get your personal info stolen from Sony's lousy security. A fact that may well end up costing Sony a rather large amount of money. Maybe if people actually paid for the service then there wouldn't have been a problem but you're right, it's free.

I wonder how many millions of dollars those same Indie Developers made in the PSN in the last couple months. I bet it's a lot closer to ZERO than the large number you pulled out of your ***.

I also need to state that Sony dropped the ball when they did away with the Alternate OS feature. It was a huge selling point to many people I know and it has been snatched from them. If you are going to offer it, and allow it, then keep if around for people who still want it.

Redlynx partnered with Microsoft on Trials HD which is why Trials HD will not be on another console. it's also a factor in why there isn't going to be a Trials HD 2. I understand, from statements made by Redlynx, that Microsoft own partial rights to the Trials HD name.

I love how you mention that both consoles have very good exclusives in one statement, and in the very next you lament about how poor the Xbox exclusives stack up against the PS3, this is a matter of taste, and I don't think I am being too far off point by mentioning that Trials HD and Trials Evolution are both Xbox exclusives. By partnering with Microsoft, developers are given better access to information and the physical technological assets (dev kits) needed to properly test and deploy game builds. Your lack of understanding here should lead you to research at least this point before you try to argue your side from what seems to be a total fog of incomprehension.

You also pointed out that Microsoft doesn't have a good PC based gaming strategy and on that point I MUST ask where your head is at. If you can name 5 high grossing games produced in the last 2 years that were not available for a Windows powered computer then I will cede to your point. As it is, I fear you are talking about things with which you have no real information other than a need to try to skew facts to fit your point.

Sony, when developing for the PC, is reliant on Microsoft to allow it's users to deploy their software. So even when Sony wins on PC, Microsoft wins.

I also enjoy how you say that Microsoft doesn't have any in house exclusives. If you play a game in the Xbox, and it says Microsoft Game Studios, then it's an in-house or partnered game. Halo 4 is a Microsoft title. Love it or hate it it will sell millions of copies. gears of War 3, Forza 4, they are all sequels that will sell millions. They are exclusives as well.

The whole "exclusives" argument is ignorant in it's subjectiveness. People enjoy different games and different exclusive titles appeal to different people. Let's just drop that here. You don't like the exclusives offered by Microsoft this year. Ok, that doesn't make them bad. Your opinion on them doesn't really matter in conjunction with this thread.

Apparently Redlynx thought that developing a partnership with Microsoft for Trials was a good enough idea and offered a positive risk to gain factor that they didn't pass it up.

Developing a game across multiple platforms is easier for large studios. Redlynx, despite recent success, is not one of those large studios. The team (correct me if I am wrong Jorma/sebbbi/Jorma) was 10 people. I don't see how it would be possible for them to justifiably build the same game 3 times. I also don't know what experience they have programming for PS3. From what I understand, from research, building a game for the PC using XNA is the exact same as building it for the Xbox and that both use codes that most software code monkeys learned in school. The PS3 architecture (again, from what I understand,) is different. This make porting difficult and, for inexperienced coders, more costly by forcing the rewriting of previously working code.

You are not Redlynx.

I am not Redlynx.

We have no idea as to the structure or details of the partnership. Speaking about how much better they would have had it in developing an Indie title on multiple platforms for their first console title is pure ignorant speculation on anyone's behalf, including mine, unless they are privileged to that information.

I highly doubt that you are. I know that I am not.

All in all, you argument is speculative conjecture with no real basis in fact.

rlmergeuser
06-09-2011, 05:05 PM
I really didn't want to go all out Console War, but hey, here you have it:

If you don't still see the problems being encountered on the Playstation network then good for you. Just for example I have not been able to reset a password for my account because that server is down, and has been down for over 4 days.

Why didn't you change it right after the PSN went up? All the people I know did it in the first couple of days and encountered no problems. Its been back online for 3 weeks now...

I also think it's funny that you are using the "it's free" argument. Yeah, it's free to get your personal info stolen from Sony's lousy security. A fact that may well end up costing Sony a rather large amount of money. Maybe if people actually paid for the service then there wouldn't have been a problem but you're right, it's free.

I wonder how many millions of dollars those same Indie Developers made in the PSN in the last couple months. I bet it's a lot closer to ZERO than the large number you pulled out of your ***.

Why are you talking about "months"? Its been down for 23 days, the store for ~40 days. And as Sony has stated at E3, network activity is now at 90% the levvel of before the outage.

Its also telling that none of the (amazing) PSN-only developers has jumped ship in that time (either by going bankrupt, or by going multiplatform), so it couldn't have been that bad for them.

I also need to state that Sony dropped the ball when they did away with the Alternate OS feature. It was a huge selling point to many people I know and it has been snatched from them. If you are going to offer it, and allow it, then keep if around for people who still want it.

Sure, its not nice. But how many people used it, exactly? And its not like MS ever had the feature.

Redlynx partnered with Microsoft on Trials HD which is why Trials HD will not be on another console. it's also a factor in why there isn't going to be a Trials HD 2. I understand, from statements made by Redlynx, that Microsoft own partial rights to the Trials HD name.

Okay, sure. Maybe. So the don't own the partial rights to the new Trials game. All good then for a PS3 version. Or PC, I don't even need a PS3 version, I'd be happy if it was on PC.

I love how you mention that both consoles have very good exclusives in one statement, and in the very next you lament about how poor the Xbox exclusives stack up against the PS3, this is a matter of taste,

To a certain degree its a matter of taste. What I meant was (and I'm not stretching that far when I say that is true, in the sense that most gamers would agree):
The PS3 has better retail exclusives. This is especially true if you own a decent PC.
The PS3 and Xbox are more or less on par when it comes to download exclusives.

Which is, as I mentioned, stupid. The Indies should just start porting their stuff. Luckily it looks like I'll be getting Limbo after all, since its coming to Steam. One intelligent developer.

and I don't think I am being too far off point by mentioning that Trials HD and Trials Evolution are both Xbox exclusives. By partnering with Microsoft, developers are given better access to information and the physical technological assets (dev kits) needed to properly test and deploy game builds. Your lack of understanding here should lead you to research at least this point before you try to argue your side from what seems to be a total fog of incomprehension.

I might have no understanding of Dev Kits and the like. What I do know though is that there are many amazing Indie games, mady by small studios, that are both on Xbox and PS3. So it cannot be that difficult to properly "test and and deploy game builds", even if you aren't exclusive.

You also pointed out that Microsoft doesn't have a good PC based gaming strategy and on that point I MUST ask where your head is at. If you can name 5 high grossing games produced in the last 2 years that were not available for a Windows powered computer then I will cede to your point.

Games made by Microsoft first and second party developers (and games published by MS themselves)? I guess thats what you're talking about, because ovbviously MS has no control over 3rd Party publishers.

Okay then, lets see what (noteworthy) games came out in the last 2 years... we have Halo: ODST, Lips, Forza 3, Alan Wake, Crackdown 2, Halo Reach, Fable 3, Dance Central. Thats it.

So Microsoft doesn't really have that many real excluives at all (as I mentioned before).
And of these eight games exactly one came out for PC. The only worthwile exclusive coming this year, Gears of War 3, will also never make its way to PC (which probably has some contractual reason between Epic and MS).

Sony, when developing for the PC, is reliant on Microsoft to allow it's users to deploy their software. So even when Sony wins on PC, Microsoft wins.

Why, because they have to have Windows installed?
Haha, very funny... since almost everybody has Windows installed. And MS doesn't get any extra money. Also, everybody can just develop for Windows without any permission by MS. So no, you are wrong. Microsoft gains nothing.

I also enjoy how you say that Microsoft doesn't have any in house exclusives. If you play a game in the Xbox, and it says Microsoft Game Studios, then it's an in-house or partnered game. Halo 4 is a Microsoft title. Love it or hate it it will sell millions of copies. gears of War 3, Forza 4, they are all sequels that will sell millions. They are exclusives as well.

See what I said above.

Eight games in the last 2 years. Six if you don't include Lips (a SingStar knockoff) and Dance Central.
Now if I look at Sony's list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_exclusives_%28seventh_generati on%29), I count 18, and that only includes games published by Sony that aren't either cheap Move- or Party-games, and it doesn't include games by Nippon Ichi (e.g. Disgaea) and Konami (Yakuza 3 & 4).
Otherwise I'd have arround 40.

The whole "exclusives" argument is ignorant in it's subjectiveness. People enjoy different games and different exclusive titles appeal to different people. Let's just drop that here. You don't like the exclusives offered by Microsoft this year. Ok, that doesn't make them bad. Your opinion on them doesn't really matter in conjunction with this thread.

Okay, sure. Subjectiveness. The thing is, that the experiences MS is known for in their exclusives, I can also have on PS3 (many apart from Alan Wake and ****ty Kinect games).

If I want to play good shooters I can play Killzone or Resistance, if I want to race I can play GT5, if I want a cover based shooter I can play Uncharted (sure, Gears of War is a lot more action-heavy), Open World Action-Adventure, I'll play Infamous.

On top of that, the PS3 offers experiences that just cannot be had on Xbox. Little Big Planet (2 Games), ModNation Racers, God of War III, Heavy Rain, Socom 4, Motor Storm, MLB The Show, MAG, Demon's Souls, etc.

You don't have to like any of these. But you have to appreciate that the PS3 offers a lot more variety when it comes to (real, not "Also on PC") retail exclusives.

Apparently Redlynx thought that developing a partnership with Microsoft for Trials was a good enough idea and offered a positive risk to gain factor that they didn't pass it up.

Sadly, that seems to be the case.

Developing a game across multiple platforms is easier for large studios. Redlynx, despite recent success, is not one of those large studios. The team (correct me if I am wrong Jorma/sebbbi/Jorma) was 10 people. I don't see how it would be possible for them to justifiably build the same game 3 times.

Ask any of the many Indies that brought their games to three (or at least two) platforms how they did it.

I also don't know what experience they have programming for PS3. From what I understand, from research, building a game for the PC using XNA is the exact same as building it for the Xbox and that both use codes that most software code monkeys learned in school.

Then bring it to PC at least, for heavens sake!

The PS3 architecture (again, from what I understand,) is different. This make porting difficult and, for inexperienced coders, more costly by forcing the rewriting of previously working code.

True. But it can be (and has been) done by many small indie studios.

rlmergeuser
06-09-2011, 11:14 PM
Trials probably wouldn't work on PS3. The Dualshock 3 controller's triggers are too crappy for precise control.

crazhalo
06-09-2011, 11:36 PM
I got a ps3 and a xbox 360. And im 95% at my xbox. My ps3 is having collecting dust. I enjoyed infamous with the welcome back tough.
When i buyed the ps3 i thought fnally having some new and other games. Buth i didn't liked killzone, heavy rain, ressistance, and all those other weird ps3 games out there. I liked god of war 3, ratched and clank series, uncharted1-2,littlebigplanet 1 and 2. And thats it. I enjoy my xbox a lot more mainly because the nice xbox-live out there. And a stupid point with ps3 is the massive updates. With littlebigplanet 1 i had 1gb patch+ installing, was 1-2 hours... the installing is stupid on ps3. Plus a downside with ps3 is u cant log in with 2 accounts wtf? If i ever knew that i never ever would buyed the system. I like to play with my brother on the xbox getting both saving and getting achievements. Buth ps3 failed with that. Buth ps3 is a good system, buth sony just failed with a lot of small things that just are frustrating.

rlmergeuser
06-09-2011, 11:40 PM
In Trials SE there weren't even analog triggers. Didn't mean it was less precise.

RetiredRonin
06-09-2011, 11:52 PM
I see your need to stand by your console if choice. I really do. I have owned a PS3, it wasn't bad at all. I have owned Kinect for Xbox. I don't own either anymore because they aren't for me.

If you are trying to make an argument about how the Xbox has no exclusives that you want, and what they have is crap, they why are you asking why an Xbox exclusive isn't on the PS3? Seems kinda like you're ****ting in your own spaghetti.

You must not have read where I said that people like different games, exclusive or not. I don't feel that the titles you listed as exclusives are any better than the titles that I am looking forward to. Your argument that "most would agree" with you is more conjecture. Have you asked most people? It's a silly point that has no bearing in an argument.

About the Playstation Store, I'm sure that developers were not happy losing projected revenues by missing out on over 1/12 of their yearly sales and nearly 1/2 of the quarter. Stop and actually think about it instead of letting my words about PS3 piss you off. That was over 5 weeks when they made no money at all from the store. How would you feel having to go that long with no revenue? And you say the store is at 90%, so it's still not all the way there yet. Problems are still there.

I didn't feel the need to respond to most of what you said because it's silly arguments by a fanboy. PS3, Xbox, PC, Mac, Wii, you're all the same. Rational arguments get tossed out as having no worth, while spouting off about your console's exclusives. Whether you think the G in GoW stands for God or Gears is besides the point in this case.

Look, Xbox fans state Halo, Gears, Forza, blah blah blah.

PS3 fans talk about GT, GoW, Little Big Planet.

Wii users have Mario. That's really all they need though cause he's more iconic than anything else.

I don't care about a system's exclusives as I'll play what I want This is about Sony dropping the ball. If you can't admit that it IS something that developers should really consider, then just hush up sunshine, cause you don't know what you're talking about.

xPrOFeSsi0NaL
06-10-2011, 02:10 AM
I dont see the point of these childish arguments.

rlmergeuser
06-10-2011, 04:06 AM
are you guys discussing now again what console is the best? well PC is the best. now release it for PC. Go, Devs, GO!

jook13
06-10-2011, 04:27 AM
I feel bad for the PC gamers that loved Trials 2, then didnt get to enjoy Trials HD without forking out for an xbox. I also think the Playstation gamers should get a chance to play the Trials games. It would be awesome if there were leaderboards that included all systems... The more the merrier.

That said, I wish I could afford a PS3, I would love to build some stuff in those Little Big Planet games. If Trials ever became a PS exclusive for whatever reason.... I would find a way to get one.

xPrOFeSsi0NaL
06-10-2011, 04:30 AM
If trials came out for ps3 im getting it on both systems

rlmergeuser
06-10-2011, 05:30 AM
are you guys discussing now again what console is the best? well PC is the best. now release it for PC. Go, Devs, GO!

I can get on that waggon. Yay for PC!

RetiredRonin
06-10-2011, 05:46 AM
I was discussing why I think now is not a good time to create digital downloads for the PS3. I never said it was a bad system, just that it wasn't the one for me.

And since the price of a good pc graphics card exceeds the price of a console, the price to gain ratio isn't good enough for me, but I understand that some gamers feel that it's worth it.

rlmergeuser
06-10-2011, 11:33 AM
I was discussing why I think now is not a good time to create digital downloads for the PS3. I never said it was a bad system, just that it wasn't the one for me.

And since the price of a good pc graphics card exceeds the price of a console, the price to gain ratio isn't good enough for me, but I understand that some gamers feel that it's worth it.

Well lets just ingore that whole what-console-is-better stuff... Though its a lie what you just said. If you mean you pay 300 euros for a graphic card. The graphiccard sure is 10 times faster than the xbox will ever be. Also you got more freeplay in computer http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

RetiredRonin
06-10-2011, 04:05 PM
I don't know about you, but an Xbox 360 goes for $199 here and that's the same price as an Nvidia GTX 450 or an ATI Radeon HD 6850.

So prices: console = video card. Where's the lie?

And even after you get the video card you still need a case, motherboard, power supply, memory, CPU, and a hard disk.

That's why I don't think the cost to gain ratio is high enough. Why spend 3 to 4 times as much when I can already play the newest games in HD? The PC isn't where I want to game.

Damn. All we need now is an Xbot and a Wiitard so they can get all pissy when I state my thoughts on the shortcomings of their preferred system.

GameScrub
06-10-2011, 05:24 PM
http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_lol.gif

shifty is mad trololololollin!!!

I honestly thought that TrialsHD was an xbox exclusive because it allowed RedLynx to concentrate and develop an application in a totally different environment than the phone games or pc.

Now that they did the xbox thing they moved on to work with nintendo and figure out their system and created moto heroz.

I'm sure RedLynx is going to work on PS3 sooner or later, whether is trials, moto heroz or a whole new game all together, I think their approach is sound.

If TrialsHD was on PC at the same time that it was on xbox, then the fact that they have to support two different platforms would make their life difficult if they had any major issues.

PC is the best system and worst system to deploy an game in my honest opinion. You can create the best graphically looking game with all the bells and whistle but there is no standard. So one guy may have the best experience in the world and the next guy is crying because their video card doesn't work nice.

PS3 and XBOX have completely diff architectures and the transition from pc to xbox is easier so it makes sense they went that route.

I would be awesome if they released TrialsHD or Trials Evolution on PS3, since they know the xbox in and out. Whether they have the time, knowledge, team and resources to get it done is another idea.

The question is valid and personally I would like to see what their stand on it is.

/rant

RetiredRonin
06-10-2011, 05:45 PM
The partnership with MGS, that makes Trials HD making it's way to a different console virtually impossible, may NOT exist with Trials Evolution.

If that is the case, then I also hope that Redlynx develops the game for cross console support, and even allows track to be shared no matter what you play it on, because it will increase revenues and get them more money to make more games.

rlmergeuser
06-10-2011, 06:46 PM
the 450 GTX got twice as much power as the stupid tri core + graphiccard wich is in the xbox. but lets ignore that now ok http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

The partnership with MGS, that makes Trials HD making it's way to a different console virtually impossible, may NOT exist with Trials Evolution.

If that is the case, then I also hope that Redlynx develops the game for cross console support, and even allows track to be shared no matter what you play it on, because it will increase revenues and get them more money to make more games.

I totally agree with you at that point.

GameScrub
06-10-2011, 07:30 PM

Did they mention it was a pure exclusive? I mean I don't think MS owns the IP to TrialsHD, they might have a deal to make a game for the summer arcade and they did a promotional agreement or something. So I don't know if the whole thing is an exclusivity deal or the fact that Redlynx might NOT want to work on a PS3 version and create a new version.

That is why I think Trials Evolution is plausible on PS3 BUT they didn't announce it as multiplatform they announced it with a MS Logo at the end on the teaser =\

RetiredRonin
06-10-2011, 08:37 PM
I hate talking about things when I don't remember EXACTLY who said what. But one of the devs (Jorma, ANBA, or sebbbi) said that the Trials HD name wouldn't be used for a sequel because of licensing issues with Microsoft. We didn't get into the reasons behind it, except that they didn't want another game with "Trials" and "2" in the title.

This leaves a lot of room for interpretation. Does the name change signal a break from Microsoft partnership? Do they just not want to name it Trials HD 2? If it's being independently worked on, with no help from MS, does this mean that we could see it on other platforms?

All of those questions, even if answered, raise more questions. Why would they leave a partnership that has proven so successful? Why NOT just call it THD2 if the partnership is still active? Would they develop a version of their most successful game for a platform they've never tested on?

ANBA and Jenkki have both mentioned that RL has multiple teams, and Jenkki numbered them at 6. With Motoheroz, 1000heroz, Draw Race 2, and now Trials Evolution announced, that still leaves 2 teams, and their projects a mystery. Maybe one of those teams is working on a PS3 version of Trials Ultimate. Only time will tell cause ANBA sure won't.

Anyways, be sure to check out TrialsHD.net for all the latest news. Their writers are the best in the world and aren't trolls or anything.

FlowRiderX
06-10-2011, 10:39 PM
I remember the thread but it was not exactly as you say.
Anba said that microsoft owns the exclusive rights on trials hd (only that one trials).
They did not want to name it trials hd 2 because it is getting confusing then.

RetiredRonin
06-10-2011, 10:47 PM
Then it is pretty much how I said it. You wouldn't be able to use the Trials HD name because it's owned by MS, that would include using the name Trials HD 2. Slapping a number in a name doesn't get you out of copyright laws. Otherwise you would have *******s using names like Forza 2 who had nothing to do with Forza.

The naming isn't the point as much as partnership and licensing. Trials HD won't be coming to anything other than where it is now.

Depending on the deal, if any, that Redlynx has made with Microsoft on Trials Evolution, you could see the exact same thing happen.

Off topic - Snippet from 1000 Heroz press release;

1000 Heroz is a trademark of RedLynx, Ltd. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners. Callithea was an anti-telepath; even she didn't know what she was thinking.

rlmergeuser
06-11-2011, 10:39 AM
wow so many speculations here http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif. would be still nice if some Dev could say something here now.

rlmergeuser
06-12-2011, 08:21 PM
Terve. Onko juuri tosi ettei ole PSN versiota tulossa saataville ? Eikö edes HD versiosta ? Mistä tämä johtuu ? Enko Microsoftin arkki perkele maksanut juuri niin hyvät rahat ettei edes meidän Suomalaisten pelaajien toiveita kuunnella ? En ymmärrä tuollaista meininkiä, mielummin PS3 version ostaisin kuin XBOX360 romua "uudestaan" pelkästään pelin takia. 3kpl 360 konsoleita omistanut "yhden kun tuli = ei hyviä pelejä, toisen kun pelejä tuli = konsoli hajosi, kolmas = slim, ei enään napannut" kunnes vihdoin havahduin ja siirryin PS leiriin. Mekin ansaitsemme näinkin loistavan pelisarjan kuin "Trials" Pitää muistaa että me emme kaikki kuulu xbox fanboy leiriin !

Same in English --> Why not PS3 version ? Microsoft is the devil !

rlmergeuser
06-20-2011, 11:02 PM
I don't know about you, but an Xbox 360 goes for $199 here and that's the same price as an Nvidia GTX 450 or an ATI Radeon HD 6850.

So prices: console = video card. Where's the lie?

Only that, you know, this 200$ graphics card really is ten times as fast as a PS3 or Xbox360 graphics chip. And you could just buy a three year old GeForce 9800 off eBay for 50$, which would still be much more powerful than an Xbox360 or PS3.

I can play Dirt3 in 1080p and at 60 Herz on mine... (just one example).

RetiredRonin
06-20-2011, 11:31 PM
You're missing the point. To run an Xbox 360 game at it's highest quality all you need is the Xbox 360 and a tv.

To build a pc to play new games at the highest quality would cost far more. This isn't conjecture, It's fact.

When a game is made for PC it's also not as simple as a console version because there is no real global standard. PC developers must use multiple test rigs to ensure that the game will run correctly. This increases cost and development time. With a smaller PC gaming market Developers must decide for themselves if the cost of development will be made up in sales.

I'm not a huge Microsoft fan, the console itself has major flaws and the early push of HDDVD left many owners upset.

That said, the Xbox Live Marketplace has proven itself as a reliable host for Trials Evolution. Redlynx isn't known as a multi platform developer. Most of their games are exclusive to one platform.

I would like to see TE released on PS3 and Steam, I just don't think that it is likely.

sebastianaalton
06-22-2011, 05:36 PM
I hate talking about things when I don't remember EXACTLY who said what. But one of the devs (Jorma, ANBA, or sebbbi) said that the Trials HD name wouldn't be used for a sequel because of licensing issues with Microsoft. We didn't get into the reasons behind it, except that they didn't want another game with "Trials" and "2" in the title.
I am sure no developer has said anything here in the forums about our contracts with the publishers/manufacturers. Contracts are confidential.

I however remember that we discussed about the stupidity of calling a game "HD 2". HD ending = high definition graphics remake of an old game. 2 = sequel. Sequel of a HD remake would be a silly concept... but we already have Trials 2 Second Edition, so http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

RetiredRonin
06-22-2011, 05:56 PM
I'm sorry Sebbbi, but I am 100% positive that we were given a reason why there wouldn't be a "Trials HD 2" that wasn't exactly related to the HD part of it.

I think it was ANBA, and I believe it was in the webchat, and I am 90% sure that "licensing" was the word he used.

rlmergeuser
07-13-2011, 12:48 AM
The Limbo guys seem to disagree that it's a bad idea to port a previously Xbox-Live exclusive to PSN (and Steam) right now...

RetiredRonin
07-13-2011, 01:04 AM
Oh my lord. It never ends.

I read somewhere that Evo has already been listed as an Xbox exclusive.

That's really the end of it unless the developers want to tell you why these 2 games are Xbox Exclusive.

Would they make some money? Yes.

Would they have to go through the whole game and rewrite code that was written for the Xbox? Yes, again.

Don't get me wrong, PSN is up and running strong again, and security issues from before, as I understand it, have been fixed so the same type of attack wont be possible (or allow easy access to credit card data for millions) in the future.

Still, I would hate to see a game from Redlynx ported to different consoles. I would LOVE to see titles created specifically for one platform as it allows more effort to be put into fine tuning the game.

Redlynx is a growing company, but they've been around a decade already and have some pretty stellar games. I find the fact that they produce the best they can, even if it makes a little less money, for a single console a much better practice than putting out inferior work on multiple consoles.

How long did it take them to port/rebuild Limbo for Steam? I would rather that the makers of Limbo far me another awesome game than spend the time reworking what was already a finished product.

rlmergeuser
07-13-2011, 02:53 PM
How long did it take them to port/rebuild Limbo for Steam? I would rather that the makers of Limbo far me another awesome game than spend the time reworking what was already a finished product.

Me too.
Except that, you know, they're doing both.

Probably put like one or two guys on the port, the rest works on a new game (at least since last October).

And the most interesting part about the whole thing:

As for Limbo, if you had any hopes of it coming to PS3, get them out of your head now: Patti told the site the game is “exclusive for life” to Xbox Live Arcade.

RetiredRonin
07-13-2011, 05:53 PM
That IS interesting.

rlmergeuser
07-16-2011, 10:41 PM
Please stop that. Don't start arguments.

So, as for the PC pricing, you can't compare console prices to PC. Consoles are meant for gaming and entertainment, mostly gaming. PC is meant for everything. It's you option to decide between having a better experience in everything but fork out a lot of money or get something that meats your needs for gaming and basic entertainment. A faster PC means not only much much better graphics http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_asleep.gif had 360 for 5 years), but everything you can think of. PC are open to customization and just about anything. Therefore, you can't compare the 2 prices, it's unfair.

Now, back to trials. I have both 360 and PC, but when Trials 2 SE was out, I didn't know what it was. I only found out what Trials where after seeing it on Xbox Live arcade. The reason that Trials HD sold much more than Trials 2 was not because it was an xbox exclusive, but because of the contract for the advertisements and Arcade show-offs. They only got that contract because they made it xbox exclusive. So, in the devs minds, xbox exclusive means popularity, which means a hell of a lot of money. But here's the thing that they seem to miss. They established a fan base that most of them have PCs, and half of those people would get both copies for PC and Xbox if it where available. Microsoft is gonna be fine with a PC port, as long as it never reaches PS3, it's still a Microsoft exclusive. That means, your whole revenue times 1.5. That's not counting the rest of PC players or the old Trials 2 SE fans. As for pirates, I'm one. I only pirate games that I would never pay for, like Counter Strike (BTW, I've payed for this game 3 times, but I changed PC and house and lost it) This is a game I would pay for. PC is a very good platform and will get them money because they already have a fanbase. If it's not on PS3, I understand. It's reasonable and if I had a PS3, I would be playing Killzone. Xbox, I get it, you guys want money. PC, you want money right? then why not port it to PC. It's not hard, especially with arcade games. And you'll gain lots and lots of fans. Please reconsider your stance on PC release!

I'm sorry for the long post, and if someone disagrees, well everyone has their own opinions and that's good. Just try to see my point and don't argue. Thank you for reading this.

RetiredRonin
07-16-2011, 11:35 PM
Who was starting an argument?

I just said that the Limbo to Steam thing was interesting because they dude said it was never going to happen, then it did.

eH reH eH reH
07-17-2011, 04:59 AM
I'd like it to be on ps3 too. It would give me a reason to play my dusty, hardly used ps3. It's pretty sad the only time I play it is when I want to play ps1 games.

rlmergeuser
07-27-2011, 07:40 AM
to ulix:
most of the games "ps" games you stated ms countered with its own exclusives or sony made the games to counter ms, for example (other companies included):
-killzone(2004) was developed to compete with halo (2001)
-inFAMOUS (2009) was developed to compete with crackdown(2007)
-forza was developed to compete with granturismo
-cause of flamewars gears(2006) is competing with uncharted(2007
-resistance(2006) was developed to help killzone combat halo3's launch(2007)
-mag(2010) to assist against another potential halo release(halo reach)
-modnation racers was developed to combat nintendo and the mario kart series
-SOCOM(2002) was developed to make profit off of the ghost recon(2001) market
-MLB the show & NBA xx(2006) were both developed the get profit in the sports market
-lbp1&2 were developed the compete with the mario series
-the only dignifyingly original exclusive is god of war and granturismo

Then deals/contracts/agreements come into play, microsoft has been doing this for years and sony is starting to really get into it (their deal with isomniac games) espcially show at this years e3.
the deal sony made(to my memory):
-dark souls is a one time exclusive (dark souls 2 is multplatform)
-isomniac games to make the rachet and clank games and resistance games

dont blame me of being an xbox fanboy cause i have all console (x360,ps3,pc,wii) and i did my reseach on my in formation

rlmergeuser
07-27-2011, 10:28 PM
You're missing the point. To run an Xbox 360 game at it's highest quality all you need is the Xbox 360 and a tv.

To build a pc to play new games at the highest quality would cost far more. This isn't conjecture, It's fact.

That pc would bring 10 times more power and PC's have much MUCH MUUUCH more features than a game console such as XBOX and PS3 http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif Seriously.. did you ever see someone working with word on an xbox?

there's a good reason why computer cost a bit more

EDIT: You can't even chat properly on an XBOX.. the best example is trials HD .. as far as i know there is no chat, and you have to go to that stupid webchat ;D

RetiredRonin
07-27-2011, 11:53 PM
The Xbox already has a party chat feature so I can talk to people instead of typing. I don't have to go to a dedicated section in the menu to type out my thoughts.

More people play games on consoles than people who play games on PC. This is apparent when you go to most stores. The console game areas keep getting larger while the PC game areas shrink.

Look at the copies of Trials 2 SE sold compared to Trials HD. I am not saying that PC gaming is dead, just that consoles allow easier entry into gaming, with a lower price point, than a PC making them a more mainstream (read: profitable) outlet for developers.

To build a PC with the same specs as an Xbox or PS3 (even being older hardware) would be more costly than buying an Xbox or a PS3.

That's my point.

Could Redlynx make money from using a service like Steam on the PC? Very likely. Did they make a boatload of sales on XBL? Yeah, that's not really something to be debated. Over 2,000,000 sales is a damned fine amount for any "Indie" title.

Maybe RL will release TrialsHD and Evo for multiple platforms. It wouldn't upset me, I hope for their continued success in the gaming industry. I would like it if everyone could experience the fun and excitement of besting a friend's time on Roadkill, or earning a Platinum medal on Blast From The Past.

It's just that, the last time I looked, the games only showed the Xbox 360 logo and not Wii, PS3, or PC.

This topic is so old now, and it's taking weeks for people to respond, can't we just say "ok" and let it go?

rlmergeuser
08-01-2011, 11:28 PM
I am not saying that PC gaming is dead.

Wont take long tho, with about every game piratable releasing stuff for PC isn't quite as profitable as a few years back.

RetiredRonin
08-02-2011, 12:37 AM

Wont take long tho, with about every game piratable releasing stuff for PC isn't quite as profitable as a few years back.

Not a valid point in this conversation because all console games can be illegally downloaded and played as well.

Retribution
08-16-2011, 02:54 AM
Please guys...give me a reason to fire up the ol good PS3 once again. Gettin tired of usin it as a blu ray player and playin emulators. http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_sad.gif

I hope to see Evo release on Xbox, PC and PS3 altogether. Would be nice to see which leaderboards has the best runs on select tracks, now thats what i call a cross platform timesaver. http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_cool.gif

sebastianaalton
08-16-2011, 10:12 AM
It depends entirely on the game. Pure single player games with no multiplayer/community features are easy to pirate, because you do not miss anything by not having a legal copy. However online/community based games are another matter. For example Trials 2 SE heavily depends on online community. All the user profiles, achievements, leaderboards, replays and ghost racing data is stored in the game server, and can be seen by all the other players (inside the game and in the game website). If you do not have a valid license key, you cannot participate in the online community. We also released many free tracks during the game life time. The game downloaded them automatically from the game server during startup. This was a good way to reward the legitimate buyers of the game.

I don't believe PC gaming is dead. Single player gaming (no online features) is on decline, but online gaming is more popular than ever. No console game can for example match World of Warcraft and Farmville in popularity.

To build a PC with the same specs as an Xbox or PS3 (even being older hardware) would be more costly than buying an Xbox or a PS3.
That was true last year, but now you can buy more powerful PC cheaper. A brand new AMD A3650 (Llano) can be found at 109$. This single chip has around double the CPU & GPU power of Xbox 360 (CPU and GPU are integrated to the same chip). You need to get a motherboard (69$), hard drive (34$ for 250GB), some memory (1GB is 9$) and a cheap case (22$) to make it a whole system (all new parts, prices from Newegg.com). The total becomes 243$. It's cheaper than the Xbox 360 with (same sized) 250GB hard drive at 299$. Of course you need to get a cheap mouse, keyboard and a HDMI cable to connect it to your TV, but the total would still be slightly lower than the Xbox 360 price.

However with a system like that you would need to use lower quality console graphics settings to play the games. And most games would run only at 30 fps (like on consoles) and you would need to lower the resolution to 1280x720 = 720p (like on consoles). For high quality Full HD (1920x1080) gaming at 60 fps, you would need approximately a 5 times more powerful computer (Full HD has 2.5 times more pixels than 720p and 60 fps needs twice rendered frames compared to 30 fps. in total 2.5*2 = 5). And that's why most gamers prefer powerful PCs that have over 10x power compared to current consoles.

Console gaming is much more accessible for large masses. It will be interesting to see what Microsoft manages to do with Windows 8. They have announced it's going to scale down to tablets and portable devices. There's all kind of speculations floating around what kind of online store it's going to have. Apple's app store has shown how much an easy to use unified storefront means for the generic users. If buying a game is too hard, not many are going to do it. All the new CPUs with integrated graphics chips inside them (both Intel and AMD) guarantee all new PCs have (at minimum) very close graphics power compared to current generation consoles. Even the current AMD E-350 (Brazos) based netbooks can play most console ports at 25-30 fps (720p) (and weight only 3 pounds). So a slightly tuned down console release would be playable on any PC in the future, including those tablets PCs sporting Windows 8 in the future. The future of PC gaming surely sounds interesting for me.

rlmergeuser
08-16-2011, 10:23 AM
To build a PC with the same specs as an Xbox or PS3 (even being older hardware) would be more costly than buying an Xbox or a PS3.es. And most games would run only at 30 fps (like on consoles) and you would need to lower the resolution to 1280x720 = 720p (like on consoles). For high quality Full HD (1920x1080) gaming at 60 fps, you would need approximately a 5 times more powerful computer (Full HD has 2.5 times more pixels than 720p and 60 fps needs twice rendered frames compared to 30 fps. in total 2.5*2 = 5). And that's why most gamers prefer powerful PCs that have over 10x power compared to current consoles.

Hey Sebbi. What will Evolution run at? 720p 60fps?

RetiredRonin
08-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Sebbbi just crushed us all.

I may need to look at pc component prices again.

I'll shut up in this topic though.

rlmergeuser
08-16-2011, 07:46 PM
this game would be perfect on PlayStation Vita

Please redlynx do it so i can play it anytime anywhere !

Core2TOM
08-17-2011, 01:07 AM
lol, not really^^

Dosto707
08-17-2011, 01:19 AM
lol, not really^^
Please explain, Core2TOM.
You make an excellent point!
I love this thread.

RetiredRonin
08-17-2011, 07:11 AM
I think it would be awesome on the Vita.

I'm not a huge fan of Sony handhelds though. The system is pretty feature rich and looks to be a powerful little thing.

rlmergeuser
08-17-2011, 07:25 AM
It wouldnt surprise me if some modded versions were leaked out through the internet and people changed the controls so you could play it with your keyboard, ive seen it happen with other games. dont know if this has been mentiond on this thread yet just felt like sayin

Core2TOM
08-17-2011, 08:17 AM
example: seriously, who is playing trials hd´s extreme track with A & X buttons? psp and psvita only got bumpers, no triggers like LT & RT on the 360 or ps3 controller. and this would also be a bigger problem in the editor.

sebastianaalton
08-17-2011, 08:44 AM
60 fps, all the time. We think that smooth and ultra responsive game play is the most important thing. Graphics is of course important as well, but we would never sacrifice gameplay just to get slightly better graphics.

Unfortunately most game developers are willing to go to 30 fps (and under in heavy firefight) just to get slightly better graphics. 30 fps games look better in screenshots (more time to render a single frame), and most internet videos sites (youtube) videos are capped to 30 fps. So for marketing purposes 30 fps is perfect. As soon as the player has bought the game and tries it on his/her console it doesn't feel that smooth and nice any more, but that's when the game has already been bought.

rlmergeuser
08-17-2011, 08:49 AM
60 fps, all the time. We think that smooth and ultra responsive game play is the most important thing. Graphics is of course important as well, but we would never sacrifice gameplay just to get slightly better graphics.

Unfortunately most game developers are willing to go to 30 fps (and under in heavy firefight) just to get slightly better graphics. 30 fps games look better in screenshots (more time to render a single frame), and most internet videos sites (youtube) videos are capped to 30 fps. So for marketing purposes 30 fps is perfect. As soon as the player has bought the game and tries it on his/her console it doesn't feel that smooth and nice any more, but that's when the game has already been bought.

Slam dunk!

rlmergeuser
08-17-2011, 04:19 PM
example: seriously, who is playing trials hd´s extreme track with A & X buttons? psp and psvita only got bumpers, no triggers like LT & RT on the 360 or ps3 controller. and this would also be a bigger problem in the editor.

you know this is actually one of the reasons people didn't mange to beat the hard and extreme tracks , they just don't know how to use the triggers lol

anyway
trials hd is one of the best pick up and play games ever and its so damn addictive even for casuals , so all I'm saying this kind of games is perfect for handheld gaming and Vita is the best , its true it dose not have triggers but hey physics doesn't have to be the same
just make it like Trials 2 SE

SuperRadioCase
08-17-2011, 04:47 PM
I think it would be awesome on the Vita.

I'm not a huge fan of Sony handhelds though. The system is pretty feature rich and looks to be a powerful little thing.
I think a Trials mobile game needs to happen eventually, even if the system specs won't allow it to be as big and fancy as Trials HD or Trials Evolution. I'd personally love to see a 3DS Trials game http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_mrgreen.gif

T4KShadow
08-17-2011, 05:00 PM
I'd personally love to see a 3DS Trials game http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_mrgreen.gif

OH WOW! That would be amazing!

RetiredRonin
08-17-2011, 05:50 PM
The 3DS gives me a headache.

rlmergeuser
08-20-2011, 06:28 AM
to me psn is all over the place. online issues are huge problems. also no one has said but psn allows to "share" up to five times. now this is good and bad at the same time. more people will expirience the game but the devs will be making no money. lets say 10 buy the game, up to 50 can be playing the full game, and even more can expirience the game if people decide to deactivate the purchasers account and give it to someone else.

also all the games on xbla that were later ported to psn have barely sold anywhere near what they did on xbox. so really xbla is a perfect home for trials

BeatBoxingBob
09-09-2011, 03:22 PM
I usa A to gas on all tracks and the trigger to break.

Edit: Didn't realise this was two weeks old. Followed from somewhere else.

rlmergeuser
09-17-2011, 12:57 AM
I had no idea you could use the a and x buttons.

Being published by microsoft it could be released on Games for Windows right?

rlmergeuser
09-19-2011, 11:01 AM
i would love it if trials came to the psn, it would be a game i'd be happy to buy twice. i'd have a whole new reason to play through again and again. in fact that might be bad i'd probably not play anything else. lol

sebastianaalton
09-19-2011, 12:29 PM
Yes, you can choose between analog stick / analog triggers and dpad / digital buttons. Jorma for example uses digital buttons for acceleration / brake, and he has some top 100 times in the leaderboards. The game works just fine without the analogs, but in some steep hills you have to mash the accelerator button (on/off/on/off, instead of 50% all the time). The steep hills are slightly harder with digital, but with digital 100% throttle comes up slightly faster (you don't have to press the finger for such a long distance).

rlmergeuser
09-19-2011, 02:04 PM
The Xbox already has a party chat feature so I can talk to people instead of typing. I don't have to go to a dedicated section in the menu to type out my thoughts.

More people play games on consoles than people who play games on PC. This is apparent when you go to most stores. The console game areas keep getting larger while the PC game areas shrink.

No wayyy in hell is this true, I'd bet 10 times as many people play starcraft 2 alone than any xbox or ps3 game.

It has a cool feature on this game, where you can see how many people are playing. All the time, 24 hours a day on the european server alone, there is always well over a 500,000 players online at any moment. Then you have the russian server, korean server, american server, south asian server, the australia/new zealend server, south american server and probably 1 or 2 more i forgot.

What you forget shifty is that a large percentage of pc games are downloaded rather than bought from a shop.

PC gaming is undoubtedly wayyyyyyyyy ahead of console gaming.

RetiredRonin
09-19-2011, 02:26 PM
Yes way in hell it is true. Last month over 700,000 consoles were purchased in the US alone (40% were Xbox 360).

Most Gaming PC's are used by a single user while the typical console is used by 3 people.

You absolutely have hardcore players on every platform. From Farmville Facebookers to Halo/CoD/Killzone Consolers. There are strong communities that branch out of every platform.

I didn't "fail to realize" that steam is an amazing service on PC, and the premier PC digital distribution platform.

I did realize that everyone from soccer moms to 14 year olds play on consoles. Be it with Wii Fit or Trials HD. The PC market is certainly shrinking, and as such, many developers have put far more development time into console versions of their games than the PC counterparts.

I am an old-school PC gamer. My first multiplayer game was Legend of the Red Dragon through a college BBS system. My first FPS was Wolfenstein, my favorite for a long time was Rise of the Triad. My first racing games were Need for Speed and Stunts!.

I have played every system and watched them progress from single player hopping to 64 player killfests.

Console gaming is far more accessible than PC gaming, requires less investment, and each game was built to run on the exact hardware it is running on.

Besides, neither consoles or PCs are used as much as handheld devices, such as the Droid and iOS platforms.

rlmergeuser
09-19-2011, 02:42 PM
PC market shrinking? Try telling that to blizzard, pretty sure they are the largest games company and they dont have a single release on a console..

Are you taking into account web based games, facebook, flash etc??

There are probably at least 10 games on PC which far exceed numbers of players compared to any console game for that reason, id have to say pc gaming is more popular.

Not saying your wrong, I just don't see any evidence to back up what your saying.

sebastianaalton
09-19-2011, 03:25 PM
Seems that PC retail market (boxed games) is in a decline (especially single player only games). But many PC online games are still doing very strong. Digital distribution seems like the future. Steam is doing pretty well, but unfortunately mostly only hardcore players have it installed.

RetiredRonin
09-19-2011, 03:35 PM
There are certainly games with fanatical communities, Blizzard's WoW Community being the largest.

I did mention Farmville, that's what Facebook has to offer. Farmville. If you are really saying that Farmville is one of PC's gamings main draws, then I win forever, and I'm done with this thread.

However, Blizzard isn't #1, Nintendo is. Funny how the #1 (based on revenue) developer is in no way a PC name. EA is number 2, followed by Blizzard/Activision in 3rd.

A second funny thing? Activision sited CoD as being the biggest profitable game they released. Server costs and maintenance on WoW only netted Blizzard/Activision $34m profits out of +$700m income for July. That's over $650,000,000 in expenditures for 1 month.

So, adding Blizzard with Activision (Call of Duty Black Ops was the highest selling 3rd party video game ever, over WoW) still leaves you with the #3 spot under Nintendo.

According to your criteria, Console gaming is win. Please, don't cite my lack of "factual evidence" when your information is wrong.

Besides, this thread is old and dead. How old was my post? No one cares, it's about Steam and PSN, which I agreed with.

rlmergeuser
09-19-2011, 05:47 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't wow have a subscription of 15 pounds a month, with over 10million players?? Theres a whole bunch of other games that have a subscription for PC.

650,000,000 in expenditures for a single month surely is a ridiculous example, they must have had some major problems in the month of july.

Anyway, I'n terms of revenues and profit, I have absolutely no idea.

My criteria has absolutely nothing to do with income and profit, where the hell did you get that from? I simply stated blizzard as a games company which is doing very well. I thought we were talking about number of players etc.

I wasn't talking in terms of quality either, obviously, and if we were, PC gaming far, far, far far far exceeds consoles in terms of content and graphics, the rest is subjective.

RetiredRonin
09-19-2011, 06:52 PM
Call of Duty had 1.2 million players on Friday night. That's just the Xbox 360 version.

Halo Reach had over 600,000 players.

Please list me the 10 different games that had between 6-12 million players. I am certainly taking you up on that bet.

The expenditures related to WoW have always been high. It's nothing new.

Just saying, when the CEO of Activision states that CoD is the best IP they currently have (that would include WoW), then I tend to believe him.

Please don't be angry that you stated your thoughts as facts, and bets, and I proved you wrong. I don't care if you play PC games or Console games or Phone games, know your facts before you post stuff, it keeps you from looking silly.

PS: you stated that Blizzard was "the best" and they don't make console games, yet Nintendo is the biggest and best and they only make games for their systems.

You didn't say that they were "doing well".

rlmergeuser
09-19-2011, 08:55 PM
You have proved absolutely nothing to be wrong shifty..

Neither have I, but I wasn't trying to, hence the statement "Not saying your wrong, I just don't see any evidence to back up what your saying"

I'm not certain on which has the more players, and I'm sure your not either, would be almost impossible to be sure.

I'm not an expert on PC gaming, but I know for sure that starcraft 2 has much, much more players than COD on at peek times if your 1.2million is correct. The european server alone gets to well over a million players.

Heres a point to make shifty, how many full time gamers are there who make a career out of gaming on the consoles??? I don't know of any, although there may be some.

How many for PC? A surprising amount and for alot FPS games too which is the corner stone of xbox 360... Heck, prize pools for starcraft 2 alone, only starcraft 2 is around $15,000 every week in US.

In korea alone, prize pools of over $100,000 every single month for sc2. You would be surprised the amount of players come forward to win that kind of money.

RetiredRonin
09-19-2011, 09:36 PM
You have proved absolutely nothing to be wrong shifty..

Yes I did. You said Blizzard was the "biggest game company and they only make PC games", which they are not. Nintendo is. That was me proving you wrong.

Heres a point to make shifty, how many full time gamers are there who make a career out of gaming on the consoles??? I don't know of any, although there may be some.

How many for PC? A surprising amount and for alot FPS games too which is the corner stone of xbox 360... Heck, prize pools for starcraft 2 alone, only starcraft 2 is around $15,000 every week in US.

MLG plays Mw2 and Halo:Reach exclusively on Xbox 360, they also play Starcraft (1 game) on PC. The tournament prizes were the same (for 2010).

I don't know the names of a single gamer who rakes in that kind of cash, not that there aren't any, I just don't care that much to retain the knowledge.

I do remember that some kid died after a 72 hour PC gaming bender though, so I'll admit I do know some useless ****.

Anyways, my point is that saying that you don't know of any gamers making that much from console gaming isn't the same as there not being any people making a damned good living playing console games. Please stop arguing your thoughts as though they are facts, they are not.

I have nearly posted a lot of things that weren't true, but I started researching after one of the showed me up on PC prices http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_asleep.gif still contend that buying all the necessary pieces for building a PC is more expensive than a console).

I think I saw some idiotic show on TV a year or so back that had teens living in some house doing nothing but playing video games on consoles, the losers got kicked off and the overall winner received http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_asleep.gif believe) $200,000 and an MLG contract, whatever the hell that really is.

People make tons of money doing all manner of idiotic drivel. Those "*******" boys made millions off of kicking each other in the nuts and crashing shopping carts.

rlmergeuser
09-19-2011, 10:21 PM
Key words "im pretty sure".......... besides, it is irrelevant to the discussion..

Your leaving planet earth with this passing "thoughts off as facts", I have repeatedly stated I am not certain of many points I have made, dont make me say it again.

MLG has alot more games than that, I'm absolutely certain of that one.

I know quite a few gamers who are very wealthy from sc2. sc2 is incidentally the only pc game I play.

On some random tangent, how did this turn into a discussion about the ethics of gaming?? It is how it is.

Funnily enough, there are actually quite a few gaming houses around the world for sc2. These guys dont only make tons of cash from tournaments, they charge (and get alot of customers) up to $200 an hour for lessons, plus most of these teams are sponsored.

Fly around the world every couple weeks for tournaments, get to do what they enjoy, good luck to them I say.

People do make alot of money from random crazy ridiculous crap, thats the world we live in! http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

rlmergeuser
01-30-2012, 04:23 PM
Since this thread is all over the place, let me clarify a few things:

- You could download games on up to 5 PS3s if you bought them once on PSN, which lead to widespread game-sharing. True.
You cannot anymore. Now the downloads are limited to two systems.

- While it is true that more AAA titles are sold on consoles, a ton more indie-titles are sold on PC. PC is just the better, bigger and more open-minded market for indie-distribution.
Just ask Team Meat. And there are even actually still retail-games that sell better on PC, Portal 2 for example, where the PC version outsold the Xbox 360 and PS3.
Then there's indie phenomena like Minecraft, which has been sold over 4 million times, and many indie releases on Steam which have sold in excess of one million. Terraria has probably sold more than 1.5 million by now. Dungeon Defenders has most likely passed one million (although its multiplatform).

So if not on PS3, releasing the game on Steam (or PC in general) would be very good idea and (at least) double Red Lynx's profits.