PDA

View Full Version : BUG: shipped ver. of FMB does not support object type [Rocket]

03-03-2004, 01:15 PM
This was already sent to 1C, but is copied here for others to read and comment:
--------------------------------

The version of FMB that shipped with Aces Expansion Pack does not support new object type "Rocket".

1. To reproduce bug: Use the FMB which shipped on the Aces Expansion Pack CD and try to find object type "Rocket". It does no exist in the menu.

2. Alternate way to observe the bug: Using the FMB which shipped on the Aces Expansion Pack CD, open any mission which already has V-1 launchers. For example, copy the mission "C:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles\Missions\Single\GB\P-51D\P-51D_3.mis" to a working directory and open it in FMB. The FMB does not recognize object type [Rocket] in the mission file, and thus erases the two rocket objects Fi103_V1_ramp.

3. Workaround: edit missions by hand with text editor. Do not open missions in FMB or all objects of type [Rocket] will be erased.

Best Regards,
cosmokart

P.S. Aces Expansion Pack is wonderful! I love it. Thank you so much for creating this fantastic simulator :)

03-03-2004, 01:15 PM

The version of FMB that shipped with Aces Expansion Pack does not support new object type "Rocket".

1. To reproduce bug: Use the FMB which shipped on the Aces Expansion Pack CD and try to find object type "Rocket". It does no exist in the menu.

2. Alternate way to observe the bug: Using the FMB which shipped on the Aces Expansion Pack CD, open any mission which already has V-1 launchers. For example, copy the mission "C:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles\Missions\Single\GB\P-51D\P-51D_3.mis" to a working directory and open it in FMB. The FMB does not recognize object type [Rocket] in the mission file, and thus erases the two rocket objects Fi103_V1_ramp.

3. Workaround: edit missions by hand with text editor. Do not open missions in FMB or all objects of type [Rocket] will be erased.

Best Regards,
cosmokart

P.S. Aces Expansion Pack is wonderful! I love it. Thank you so much for creating this fantastic simulator :)

clint-ruin
03-03-2004, 05:48 PM
Um, it certainly appears in my copy, that Spit/V1 mission I screenshott'd earlier was an "air" rocket placed in a map.

You know you're looking for an 'object type' like 'aircraft' 'artillery' and so on right?

http://home.iprimus.com.au/djgwen/fb/leninkoba.jpg

03-03-2004, 06:33 PM
Where did you get your copy, eh?

The legit copy of AEP (which I purchased) does not have object type "rocket" in the FMB.

Choices are:

Aircraft
Armor
Vehicles
Trains
Ships
Artillery
Stationary Armor
Stationary Objects
Stationary Aircraft
Stationary Ships
Stationary Objects
Objects
Target
Home Base
Front Marker

THERE IS NO CHOICE FOR TYPE "ROCKET". Unless you are suggesting that Ubi published more than one version of AEP, you've got a shady version of AEP there, buddy.

Looks like you are in Australia. You have no business possessing AEP on 3 March, unless you are a beta tester, in which case you've most likely violated NDA by talking about your pre-release version.

[EDIT: Maybe Clint does have a legit Beta copy. The reason I'm questioning him so harshly is because *somebody* leaked a bootleg of AEP. A cracking group got ahold of it and it was ALL OVER the internet. Most of the European fans no doubt are quite aware of this, as the painful 2-week wait makes downloading the the warez version very tempting.

Beta testers, remember to keep it zipped. We appreciate your hard work. There's no need to sabotage your NDAs by gloating ;) ]

[This message was edited by cosmokart on Wed March 03 2004 at 05:59 PM.]

clint-ruin
03-03-2004, 07:14 PM
The image info is: http://users.bigpond.net.au/gwen/fb/eieio.jpg

Check the bytesize on your copy.

The V1 type appears at:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/gwen/fb/v17.jpg

Oh the hazards of picking it up from a dcc bot while the oz pre-orders are shipping: things work! Truly something to beware of.

Jettexas
03-03-2004, 07:48 PM
Ditto here,
my legit copy purchased today at a retail outlet, (EB/Austin,Tx-have reciept too..) has has no "rocket" object type in FMB.

http://home.austin.rr.com/davislanedavis/il2sig4.jpg

03-03-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Jettexas:
Ditto here,
my legit copy purchased today at a retail outlet, (EB/Austin,Tx-have reciept too..) has has no "rocket" object type in FMB.

I found the answer! (Clint, you are 100% A-OK man ;-)

DO NOT INSTALL AEP OVER TOP OF VERSION 1.22.

I tried a fresh install of AEP over the original FB v. 1.00 and the FMB worked properly and had the "rocket" object type.

If you install AEP over FB 1.22, the install gets wedged. The installer is not forward compatible with version 1.22. Per the documentation, AEP can only be installed over FB 1.00 or 1.21.

I have not verified that AEP installs properly over FB 1.21. But make damn sure you don't put AEP over 1.22!!!!!!

Anyone care to test AEP over 1.21? Do a fresh install of FB 1.00, patch it to 1.21, then run the AEP installer and see if the FMB works right. ~S!~

tolwyn.com
03-03-2004, 07:54 PM
Mine Does.

Tracking Number: 1Z A73 65F 13 3199 --- -
Service Type: NEXT DAY AIR SAVER
Weight: .70 Lb
Note: Your package is in the UPS system and is on-time with a scheduled delivery date of Mar 3, 2004.

Package Progress:

Date Time Location Activity

Mar 3, 2004
4:52 P.M. WENATCHEE, WA, US DELIVERED
7:40 A.M. WENATCHEE, WA, US ARRIVAL SCAN

6:38 A.M. SEATTLE, WA, US DEPARTURE SCAN
5:01 A.M. SEATTLE, WA, US ARRIVAL SCAN
3:36 A.M. LOUISVILLE, KY, US DEPARTURE SCAN
Mar 2, 2004 11:41 P.M. US BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

My personal licensing agreement: In exchange for my hard-earned cash for your product, you agree to the following terms: No part of my hardware may be used as a mechanism to verify or reverify my economical patronage. My receipt will serve that purpose. If you disagree with this license, you may return my money to me, and I'll return your product. :)

tolwyn.com
03-03-2004, 08:02 PM
Ahhh. The install.

I mentioned in another thread that the install is pathetic.

I fooled the installer to think that I had FB installed in an empty directory, and got it to extract EVERYTHING into this folder.

I backed out all the 1.22 stuff that I already have, and then created my own personal reinstall, if I have to ever use it (doubtful).

I've purchased my copy. Yet I do have the NOCD. I can't stand nor do I authorize my stuff to be used that way! ;)

My personal licensing agreement: In exchange for my hard-earned cash for your product, you agree to the following terms: No part of my hardware may be used as a mechanism to verify or reverify my economical patronage. My receipt will serve that purpose. If you disagree with this license, you may return my money to me, and I'll return your product. :)

clint-ruin
03-03-2004, 08:05 PM
This is all very strange.

I wonder if it's just something that the MSI/Setup doesn't like doing through its pre-written "upgrade" of a previous version.

My AEP was "installed" to an empty directory, then copied over to my pre-existing FB 1.22 installation.

It works fine, as you see in the screenshots.

tolwyn.com
03-03-2004, 08:19 PM
You know, I don't know.

On my host machine, I installed FB into:

c:\games\fb

But for somereason, when I did the CD autorun.exe, it installed a few things in c:\games\fb, and the rest in:

c:\program files\ubi soft\il2 forgotten battles aep\ without me even authorizing it to do so.

The installer is SCREWED UP!!

03-03-2004, 08:21 PM
My AEP was "installed" to an empty directory, then copied over to my pre-existing FB 1.22 installation.

Yes, that ought to work perfectly well.

I believe the AEP installer incorrectly checks the existing version. If it finds FB 1.22 is on the computer already, some files fail to get updated. It's probably because 1.22 is quite recent and the installer wasn't made future-compatible.

This is tricky, because most folks applied AEP over 1.22 and found no obvious problems. The main bug I've seen so far is that the FMB doesn't work right. There may be other problems as well. I guess we'd have to look at which files don't get updated.

03-03-2004, 08:25 PM

hehehe, true.

*sigh*

Hopefully for the majority of users, who don't muck about the FMB, they will never run into any problems applying AEP over FB 1.22. (knock on delta-wood)

tolwyn.com
03-03-2004, 08:27 PM
Well, report this to il2beta@1c.ru

It's fairly significant.
And very unfortunate. Likely just "one of those things." They'll get it fixed (I hope!)

03-03-2004, 08:43 PM
I've been keeping Oleg up to speed via email.

No doubt he's got plenty of other things to work on, though.

~S!~

clint-ruin
03-03-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by cosmokart:

hehehe, true.

*sigh*

Hopefully for the majority of users, who don't muck about the FMB, they will never run into any problems applying AEP over FB 1.22. (knock on delta-wood)

Now, who wants to be the first volunteer to find out if we have a Valve/Bungie style situation where uninstalling AEP completely flattens everything on the drive it's installed to? :>

03-03-2004, 08:59 PM
LOL!

I was able to safely uninstall via the Add/Remove Programs dialogue. Afterwards I manually cleared out the leftover files and registry entries, just to be sure.

A.E.P. = Aviatsiya s Escho Problemamy

Jettexas
03-03-2004, 09:05 PM
Cosmo,et al
Yep, that did the trick, went back to 1.0 "box" ran AEP over that and everythings where it should be.
Thanks!!
S!
'Fish/aka Jettexas

PzKpfw
03-03-2004, 10:55 PM
So the safest bet is to remove FB then reinstall clean 1.0 and then install Aces?.

Can i save my skins Dir and recopy it after Aces is installed?. Or do I have to re-DL all my skins I use?.

Thx.

Rregards, John Waters

---------
Notice: Spelling mistakes left in for people who need to correct others to make their life fulfilled.

------
"We've got the finest tanks in the world. We just love to see the German Royal Tiger come up on the field".

Lt.Gen. George S. Patton, Jr. Febuary 1945.

03-03-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by PzKpfw:
Can i save my skins Dir and recopy it after Aces is installed?. Or do I have to re-DL all my skins I use?.

By all means, back up your skins first!

Also back up your settings in "conf.ini" and the stuff in the Users folder.

PzKpfw
03-03-2004, 11:15 PM
Thx Cosmo.

Regards, John Waters

---------
Notice: Spelling mistakes left in for people who need to correct others to make their life fulfilled.

------
"We've got the finest tanks in the world. We just love to see the German Royal Tiger come up on the field".

Lt.Gen. George S. Patton, Jr. Febuary 1945.

J30Vader
03-03-2004, 11:37 PM

My FMB has V1 ground and air, in object type rocket.

Oleg_Maddox
03-04-2004, 04:42 AM

hehehe, true.

*sigh*

The installer will copy files only to the place where was installed officially FB. And only buy this way.
If you moved or copied pirated FB then installer will not even install AEP and wil say that FB isn't found....

Extreme_One
03-04-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Oleg_Maddox:

hehehe, true.

*sigh*

The installer will copy files only to the place where was installed officially FB. And only buy this way.
If you moved or copied pirated FB then installer will not even install AEP and wil say that FB isn't found....

Would I get away with making (my non-pirated) v 1.22 FB files 'writable' (ie. not read-only) rather than re-installing to an earlier version?
Does that make sense?

S! Simon
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''
Download the RAF campaign folder here (http://www.netwings.org/library/Forgotten_Battles/Missions/index-9.html).

Download the USAAF campaign folder here (http://www.netwings.org/library/Forgotten_Battles/Missions/index-9.html). *NEW* Updated for FB 1.21

http://server6.uploadit.org/files/simplysimon-raf_sig.jpg

tolwyn.com
03-04-2004, 10:36 AM
I'm perplexed.

I installed FB to:

c:\games\fb

Never touched the registry with relation to this title, and AEP still installed elsewhere.

Ah well. I got it figured out, anyways; even if it was the long way around.

zoomar2
03-25-2004, 11:25 AM
I too have the "no Rocket" problem in FMB Objects menu and am sure it relates to the install over 1.22. Slightly disappointing, but it's the only glitch I seem to have had. Unless something worse comes up with FMB (which I use a lot), I'll probably just stay put. I hate the idea of doing a full uninstall/reinstall of FB and AEP just to have a v-1 I really would only use once or twice. Hopefully the next "patch" will fix this.

Otherwise I love AEP - and especially that J8A.