PDA

View Full Version : Flying machines

rlmergeuser
02-24-2010, 03:51 PM
does anyone know if its possible to make a flying machine that flies because of its aerodynamics, rather than a jet beneath it (or antigravity/wind). i tried making a very crude jet plane out of wooden planks, but that failed miserably.

rlmergeuser
02-24-2010, 06:30 PM
Ilovepepso has a crazy floating bike track

jook13
02-25-2010, 02:04 AM
I dont think anything glides due to aerodynamics. Imagine a kite made out of plywood and 2x4's.

The best I can come up with is have a pipe rolling on rails way up out of view above your rider and something glued to that.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.redlynxgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3147">viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3147</a><!-- l -->

Check out this guy's balloon he made. I am not sure how this one works...

rlmergeuser
02-25-2010, 02:40 PM
i think he's just glued some wind to the top of the balloon, but it looks pretty cool, and i might have to borrow that idea along with some other stuff

rlmergeuser
02-25-2010, 08:45 PM
ok, i can confirm the wind glued to the vehicle method works, but not so well if your trying to do a plane, because if you try and pull up then the wind blows you backwards, and putting the nose down makes you go forwards really quickly.

i have a plan to see if some simple wings will gove any lift atall, but because of the size restriction on the level, i fear its back to the drawing board

rlmergeuser
02-26-2010, 01:47 AM
I think it's a safe assumption to make that adding wings to your objects will not provide any lift at all. For wings to work, the underlying physics engine would need to be simulating fluid dynamics, air pressure, etc. Instead, it is almost assuredly only doing basic rigid-body collisions, simple springs and hinges, etc. The "wind" effects added in the DLC are most likely just a uniform force applied to all physics enabled objects within a small localized area. I highly doubt there is actually a simulation of air pressure, wind resistance, etc.

Remember that in games, almost everything is smoke and mirrors. If a desired effect can be achieved using a really cheap but more-or-less convincing trick, the developer will go with the cheap trick every time. It leaves more resources available to do other cool stuff in the game.

rlmergeuser
02-26-2010, 10:11 PM
i'm midway through trying to make a helicopter, but i think i'm a bit out of my depth here.

if anyone who's really good with the trials editor and physics of the game could make a helicopter that you ride in + control, that would be awesome

rlmergeuser
02-27-2010, 05:20 PM
i'm midway through trying to make a helicopter, but i think i'm a bit out of my depth here.

if anyone who's really good with the trials editor and physics of the game could make a helicopter that you ride in + control, that would be awesome

swemakke has a really awesome car/truck/helicopter set, not sure if hes still sharing but its a MUST check

rlmergeuser
03-01-2010, 06:59 PM
^^^^^^^^^^
thanks. i'll send him a message later. is that his GT or just his forum name you've given me there?

rlmergeuser
03-02-2010, 04:26 PM
I think it's a safe assumption to make that adding wings to your objects will not provide any lift at all. For wings to work, the underlying physics engine would need to be simulating fluid dynamics, air pressure, etc. Instead, it is almost assuredly only doing basic rigid-body collisions, simple springs and hinges, etc. The "wind" effects added in the DLC are most likely just a uniform force applied to all physics enabled objects within a small localized area. I highly doubt there is actually a simulation of air pressure, wind resistance, etc.

Remember that in games, almost everything is smoke and mirrors. If a desired effect can be achieved using a really cheap but more-or-less convincing trick, the developer will go with the cheap trick every time. It leaves more resources available to do other cool stuff in the game.
Trango is very much correct http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_geek.gif

Ajuvix
03-15-2010, 03:40 AM
Here's a tutorial on flying objects I made in the editor. Hope it helps!

rlmergeuser
03-15-2010, 06:25 PM
theres a slight lack of tutorial there Ajuvix, lol

rlmergeuser
07-17-2010, 10:06 AM

i made a track where you can jump into a helli an ride in it for a while, i even made it fire a missle and blow up a wall. you cant really control it but it still accomplishes the effect of flying. send me a FR if you wanna check it out. GT- GilliganTh3P1mp