PDA

View Full Version : Level Size

rlmergeuser
02-05-2010, 06:32 AM
Hi. I just had a question about the size of levels and amount of objects you can use. I made a track and it wouldn't allow me to save it said to many objects unable to save yet 90% of the custom tracks i've seen are alot larger and more complex than mine. So is there an actual limit or what?

Jarr3tt88
02-05-2010, 06:55 AM
1000 objects and 8kb are the limits. The more decorated levels you see are probably shorter than yours.

nannerdw
02-05-2010, 11:25 PM
Also, the more room blocks you have deleted, the more space your track will take up.

Jarr3tt88
02-06-2010, 01:13 AM
Also, the more room blocks you have deleted, the more space your track will take up.

Not necessarily...You def don't want to delete more room blocks than you need other wise the level lags BAD!

rlmergeuser
02-17-2010, 05:09 AM
i haven't noticed any lag when deleting any block spaces, empty is a good example of that, but in the empty series, there's still lots of blocks left, i jus deleted what you could see...

the size limit sucks sometimes, but it's a reasonable amount of items, 1000 is quite a bit is **** lol
what i would like to see in the editor is an object count, unless there is one and i'm jus not seeing it...

having alot of decoration isn't always about how many objects your using, specially sense you can only have X amount any one perticular space at one given time. it's where and what objects your using. lets take the standard can for example, having a standard can takes up lets say 1 slot, copy that can and place it next to the standard can and check the physics box, that can you jus made physical takes up 2 slots (or more). Explosives are also good for decoration too, jus be sure to uncheck the physics box, so you can add more objects in that space, and it dont make things laggy with your decor. i'm not sure if that has an impact on the overall object count, but i think it may cause X object can roll or fly into another cramped space, making things laggy, but that would be a dev question for the object count.

large objects are good for decor cause it takes up lots of space you dont have to worry about filling, but me, i like to use small things, and cram as much crap in one spot as i can, and i do this from start to finish

triggers are also counted as an object, so are things like dust and so forth

2 little planks of wood can be used as decor and works well, make a sawhorse with wood leaning on it and you jus used 6 or 7 objects slots for something that can take up as much space for decor as you want

alot of physics based objects, lights, fire, smoke, explosions are what make things laggy, i could make a 6 second track, and max out the object count, and it will not be laggy, but throw in some physics and some animated objects, and things start to change. the physics based objects as a whole aren't so bad, like a plank of wood falling to complete a peace of track to drive on, but things like some of the fans and other things that continue to move all the time help mak things laggy too