PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for my track

rlmergeuser
02-02-2010, 11:28 AM
Hi everyone. So i've decided i'm gunna design a track but i'm low on ideas and wondered if anyone on here could help me. I've started a tiny bit at the start but thats nothing compared to some of the tracks i've seen. My G.T is xJ 4 IVI I3 Ox. Add me if you have anything, that would be really heplful because i am not creative at all lol.

RedLynxANBA
02-02-2010, 11:41 AM
Some ideas:

- Use small set of objects and build track by using only those. For example barrels, planks and big wooden trunk. Nothing else.
- Select any movie you can think and build theme around that.
- Not think too much at front. Just start building track and build next obstacle in way that it "fits" to previous.
- Donít decorate that too much when you create the driving line in bg. BUT decorate the actual driving line itself.
- Play lot of user tracks to give perspective what people do.

rlmergeuser
02-02-2010, 05:24 PM
I've started it by using a rail track then a big drop on to a ramp, then u gotta go slow over some barrels and that's as far as i got but thanks for tips i'll try a few now. http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

howlinmad1973
02-02-2010, 06:23 PM
I usually start with a theme of some kind and then I decide what kind of material and/or objects I would like to use. I also try to think of what kind of short story I would like to tell.
The reason I do this is because I want consistency in my tracks and that ppl think 'Hey this environment is (at least somewhat) right http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_lol.gif '.

Also be careful with using custom cams since imho it is important that a player can see what he or she is doing at all times.
With regards to the latter also try not to obscure the players view by placing objects at the left side of the driving line that can obscure the players view (camera gets behind or in the objects). Especially not when the player has to perform all kinds of moves and tricks.

The use of effects can be allot of fun but can also impact the performance of your track in a negative way. Again be careful.

Ur saying you've put down some rails etc. Well ... You could think of something like an old abbondened mine. An old mine where there used to be allot of activity but was recently shut down because of the danger of collapsing shafts or anything, which in this case already happened. So picture a rusty, dusty mine ... lots of wood and rusty iron ... tracks going up and down ... stuff collapsed and dropped onto and next to the track .... tracks dislocated heavily ... some explosions and collapsions still going on while driving through the mine ...

Anyway just a rough idea ...

Oh and although a mine idea might be ok it doesn't mean it has to be completely dark http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif In other words .. just like using the custom cam wisely as well as placing your objects correctly with regards to the players view lighting falls in the same category I think.

hth

rlmergeuser
02-02-2010, 10:23 PM
That is an awesome idea thanks a lot it might take a bit of time though coz it took me ages just to perfect what i've done now and it only lasts like 20 second lol but thanks i'm gunna do that.

howlinmad1973
02-03-2010, 03:06 AM
Another tip maybe ... don't be too precise ...

I does not matter if objects are not perfectly aligned because ppl will not notice .... unless of course the objects are on the driving line .. then sometimes you want perfectly aligned objects such as train tracks.

For instance look carefully at the tracks ppl made or even the tracks redlynxs made .... you will notice that allot of stuff is not perfectly aligned ... its only when you are carefully looking at it you will notice.

bottom line ... its about the overall look and feel.

Anyway .. whenever you are ready to release your track give me a shout .. i would love to see it and give you positive feedback!

Cheers

howlin

Edit:

ANBA is right about:

- Donít decorate that too much when you create the driving line in bg. BUT decorate the actual driving line itself.
- Play lot of user tracks to give perspective what people do.

Focus on your driving line first because that is the main thing .... when the driving line has all the obstacles and decorations you want then its time to decorate the environment ...
start small and focus on the theme.
Also play allot of user tracks to get an idea of what works and what doesn't.

I have absolutely no intention to lecture you or what so ever ... so please don't take it like that ... I am just giving you feedback based on my own experience. And I have not even released my track yet http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_rolleyes.gif

rlmergeuser
02-04-2010, 05:37 PM
thanks lol n feedback is feedback its all help at the end of the day