PDA

View Full Version : Elevators?

rlmergeuser
01-02-2010, 05:55 PM
What is the best and easiest way to create an elevator with the new stuff in the Big Pack?

Euphoric Fusion
01-02-2010, 06:09 PM
I made an elevator in one of my tracks before and it was a logistical nightmare.
I'd love to know how they made the elevator in Workshop of secrets.

rlmergeuser
01-02-2010, 09:16 PM
yea i've been tryin to figure out how they made that elevator in Workshop of Secrets also...the way it kinda stops when u first get on, then it keeps goin up makes me think its on some kind of counterweight/pulley system..

rlmergeuser
01-03-2010, 01:34 PM
I found a way to make some in one of my newest unreleased maps what I did was have an object glued to the elevator but further about out of sight and had a see-saw like contraption under the object to lift it. If i post a video I'll reply again here with a link

sebastianaalton
01-03-2010, 03:06 PM
Turbine powered elevators are lots of fun... use sliders to keep the elevator stable.

rlmergeuser
01-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Turbine powered elevators are lots of fun... use sliders to keep the elevator stable.
Hmm.

Wells. Can you give us a printscreen and tell us how the elevator in Workshop of Secret is built?

And... How do the sliders work anyways? I tried one but i couldn't really figure out how they worked. I mean i got something to slide.. But it went through the other.. It's weird. I don't understand them good enough to build something out of them.

Tutorial on the new objects like the dummy, slider, rotation and such? (although most people should understand the rotations http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif)

Thanks in advance.

rlmergeuser
01-06-2010, 03:28 AM
I'm not quite sure about this but I was checking out Workshop of Secrets a few days ago to see how they made the elevator and it uses a sort of see-saw thing with the elevator on one end and then I think either a free rotation hinge in the middle or a force rotation hinge. I think it is force rotation but I'm not sure.

But it is some sort of see-saw system.

BMXBandit777
01-06-2010, 11:37 AM
There is an easy way as sebbi says use rockets and a slider - create your lift platform glue a couple of rockets (locked to driving line helps) glue it to slider tool and i found that to keep it extra stable as it rises add a weight below it (glue to it but not near it) i used a big container and it rises smooth ( a little slow perhaps ) there is also a way to get it to stop and start as in workshop but without the see-saw. set up a plank with a tyre on it locked to d/l then place triggers along the plank so the tyre rolls down tripin them as it goes. set up ur lift and have a trigger that trips as u rise, this trigger activates phyz on the tyre - then adjust the first trigger the tyre hits so it trips when the platform reaches your first level(this trigger has NONE of the boxes ticked and should be glued to any 1 of the lift platform objects) the second trigger turns phyz on on the object the first trigger is glued to which should set it moving again. use as many triggers as u like to stop/start as many times as u require and because the tyre rolls a steady speed its easy to adjust when it stop/starts. hope this helps and msg me if ur having trouble setting it up http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

rlmergeuser
01-06-2010, 03:33 PM
There is a new object in dlc which looks like a large cartoon tonne weight, if you use physics on these objects they have about the same mass as a single shipping container. I think i used two on the lift in workshop to lift it. One of the main reasons for this new object was that it was pretty annoying to have to use two giant shipping containers to drop on something to give it the weight it needed.

There isnt any force/free rotation on the lift. The see-saw theory is correct. I recommend you build the 'lift arm' first. Depending on how long you make the arm will decide how high the lift can ultimately go(If you want a lift to go high up expect your construction to be alot more complex). Create a platform on the start of the lift arm to hold the tonne weights, switch physics off on these. You want a pivot in the middle of the lift arm, its just a vertical strut with a rounded log at the top in workshop to hold the middle up and give it something to see-saw on.

Next build the lift on the ground, this can be any design you want just bare in mind the more objects you use the heavier it will be so you may need more of the tonne weights or less if its just a simple base. You want physics on all objects, since the whole thing needs to move. place a trigger on the platform of the lift which will turn the physics on the tonne weights and make the lift rise.

Dont be alarmed if the entire construction starts going totally bonkers and shaking itself to death. Find the objects that shake the most and double glue them to other objects neighbouring it. To make the lift move smooth i found the large short square logs to be pretty handy as counter weights on the actual lift arm itself.

Hope this helps, it is quite an advanced tutorial and there might be an easier way and sorry for all this block of text=D. If people want i can do a video tutorial on it.

rlmergeuser
01-07-2010, 07:33 PM
I don't really understand.

Anyways... If i were to make an elevator that were to go downwards, what would i need to do in order to make it go down at a steady (not to fast) rate?

I used sliders and it's pretty stable... But it goes to fast. So what would i need to do to make it go down slow and steady?

BMXBandit777
01-08-2010, 12:03 AM
if you need to slow it down glue a linear damper to it http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

rlmergeuser
01-17-2010, 06:45 PM
Stupid Question Here http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_lol.gif

I m am French, i really dont know what you mean by see-saw thing ??

BMXBandit777
01-17-2010, 07:18 PM
ne savez pas si cela se traduira la façon dont j'espère maisun ascenseur 'voir-scie' comme au début de l'atelier de secrets est une plate-forme d'ascenseur connectée à un bras long avec une counter-weight à l'autre extrémité et un pivot dans le milieu.

rlmergeuser
01-17-2010, 08:26 PM
Meme une reponse en francais wow !!

Merci ! c est claire maintenant !

rlmergeuser
01-18-2010, 12:41 AM
very true akatsuki... check out my elevator in my old map log fort from when this game first came out.. its got a double shipping container counter weight all buried behind. wish i had the 2x weight back then. these days the turbine and wind objects make this build waaaaay easier

rlmergeuser
01-23-2010, 12:52 PM
if you want a close look at the elevator in workshop of secrets, take it to the highest level, trigger the checkpoint, press b (to reset the elevator), then ride backwards.

you'll be on top of the elevator arm, and be able to watch a gerbil fall to its death, and probably look at the entire system if you bail out

rlmergeuser
02-02-2010, 10:26 PM
From what i saw in the workshop of secret level, its just a giant lever with a weight attached to the other end, which pivot on a central point http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

like this:

http://www.zuma.snj.dk/images/Vippe.gif

rlmergeuser
02-03-2010, 07:07 AM
made a new system the other day.. you guys will see in new map. smooth as butter, no techniques that have been said or used in this thread

rlmergeuser
02-06-2010, 05:34 PM
ive made a good one, add me to see it, T3CHNO M4TTY message me and i will make the track available, the track is not finnished tho its still in the early stages

cheers

rlmergeuser
02-06-2010, 07:06 PM
my elevator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrDhYMp1b5c

rlmergeuser
02-07-2010, 03:02 PM
i am just about to do a video on how to make elevators, will let yous no as soon as ive uploaded it

cheers

rlmergeuser
02-07-2010, 08:26 PM
heres the video on how to make elevators

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbziisFc7SE

cheers