PDA

View Full Version : 100 friends limit... what to do?

QcChopper
08-13-2009, 09:15 AM
We'll have to find a way to get around that thing.

Question for devs:
If we remove a friend from our list, can we still play his tracks?

Question for anybody who knows:
If I remove a friend from my list, am I automatically removed from his list?

Maybe removing some friends and adding others would allow to get around this damn limit, I want many many many tracks.

rlmergeuser
08-13-2009, 09:46 AM
The level sharing contraints really are starting to standout as a significant issue.

I've got a horrible feeling that due to this being a Live Arcade title with a price point well below AAA titles, that we'll not see a solution (such as a seperate server for global sharing) http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_cry.gif

rlmergeuser
08-13-2009, 10:02 AM
Blame Halo 2. Until there servers shut down Microsoft can't increase the friend limit size. The good news is, when Halo ODST comes out the Halo 2 servers will probably shut down. Here's the article on OXM UK (http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=12765)

rlmergeuser
08-13-2009, 10:14 AM
I can't understand why there would be a limit on the number of friends you can have anyway, forget about just trials, what if you play 10 different games and have 11 friends that play each game?

100 just seems a very unrealistic limit and as is being seen now is all too easy to reach

not looking forward to the 1st time I have to kick someone from my list or get kicked from somebodys http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_cry.gif

rlmergeuser
08-13-2009, 10:40 AM
Realistically, I don't believe Microsoft will ever increase the friends limit. Every xbox360 game that have been released would need to patched for the new friend limit to work. Without patching, only 100 seemingly random friends would be used in all friend functionality.

There is also the issue that all the friends leaderboard functionality require the games to fecth the leaderboard information for all of those friends. Increasing the max friend count would increase the bandwith usage on the microsoft servers by the same amount.

For games that are close to the maximum memory usage of the Xbox, big increase in max friend amount might start to cause memory related crashes after patching. This means that even with patching possibility games might not be able to support the maximum friend amount. And even if they can, they need a long test and cert process (even for games that probably aren't selling that well anymore).

rlmergeuser
08-13-2009, 10:42 AM
sounds sorta fair when put like that

sebastianaalton
08-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Question for devs:
Yes, you can play all tracks you have downloaded. It does not matter if the player who did the track is no longer your friend or if the player even exists anymore. Tracks on your hard drive and memory units can always be played.

I don't know the answer to this question. Maybe Jorma knows as he is our network programmer?

rlmergeuser
08-13-2009, 12:18 PM
is it technically possible for the developers to collect user created tracks and spread them via title updates?

those tracks can't be that big, if you release a best of user created content pack with title updates from time to time the motivation for ppl to spend hours on their inidivual tracks should be higher compared to the possibility of sharing them with the 30 ppl they have room for in their friends list...

rlmergeuser
08-13-2009, 12:21 PM
is it technically possible for the developers to collect user created tracks and spread them via title updates?

those tracks can't be that big, if you release a best of user created content pack with title updates from time to time the motivation for ppl to spend hours on their inidivual tracks should be higher compared to the possibility of sharing them with the 30 ppl they have room for in their friends list...

this would be a great idea, maybe a part of the website dedicated to scoring your tracks and the top 10 or so get released to everyone

rlmergeuser
08-13-2009, 02:22 PM
We'll have to find a way to get around that thing.

Question for devs:

Maybe removing some friends and adding others would allow to get around this damn limit, I want many many many tracks.

if people makes usless tracks, just remove them.
People who uploads track that arent even finished, just makes me mad, and i go to my friendslist and remove them.

rlmergeuser
08-13-2009, 03:33 PM

Yes, if you remove a friend you are automatically removed from their list as well!

If you want to get more tracks create a new account, download all the ones from different people then find the best tracks for your main account!

I think this idea is really good http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif For example, wait until January and release a 'Best of' collection for 2009!

I don't think you could release it for free because Microsoft barely give things away for free unless they know there is money to be made else were! For example, Left 4 Dead had Survival DLC for free on XBL and PC but the new map they are releasing will cost 560 MSP were on PC it will be free!

rlmergeuser
08-13-2009, 05:14 PM
Does the XBLA system not have any way you could let people just search for track names rather than having to add friends and find them that way? Right now it's okay, but imagine 100 friends each sharing 20 or 30 tracks - trying to find that one you want in a list that extensive could be a nightmare http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

rlmergeuser
08-13-2009, 05:52 PM
Maybe we have to all get these Xbox memory card PC readers, and share the tracks over the internet...

This would be awesome. I wonder, can the level files be loaded from a USB memory stick? Those are extremely cheap now and I use one for media on the 360.

rlmergeuser
08-13-2009, 09:18 PM
This would be awesome. I wonder, can the level files be loaded from a USB memory stick? Those are extremely cheap now and I use one for media on the 360.
No they cant..
MC only at this point..

rlmergeuser
08-13-2009, 09:54 PM
i'd buy a memory card reader specifically for that. i say go for it

QcChopper
08-14-2009, 08:27 AM
EDIT, useless post removed.

rlmergeuser
08-18-2009, 09:01 AM
Does the XBLA system not have any way you could let people just search for track names rather than having to add friends and find them that way? Right now it's okay, but imagine 100 friends each sharing 20 or 30 tracks - trying to find that one you want in a list that extensive could be a nightmare http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif
The thing is: Microsoft is scared ****less about user created content, if mom happen to see little Bobby suddenly riding his Trial bike on a gigant wooden c**k in a T rated game she'll sue them.
That's why we can only share between friends at this time, the friends list of a kid is not Microsofts responsability - it's up to the parents to regulate that. It's not a technical issue or something Redlynx can do anything about. This was the same problem N+ had on XBLA.

I'm sure this will have to change sometime, and I'm sure that if Trials HD was MS own project they'd work around this somehow... We can share user created content in Halo 3 freely for example, which probably is due to the fact that Halo is an M rated game.
I'm not sure but I think MS has a policy that all XBLA games should be rated T or under, and that could in fact be the real reason why we cant share tracks to the entire community...

rlmergeuser
08-18-2009, 09:26 AM
Sorry, I was wrong, there is M-rated content on XBLA.
Then it's probably up to the developers, either they go for the T rating, restrict user created content and sell more, or they go for M, make a few people happy and sell a lot less.

QcChopper
08-22-2009, 07:18 AM
I think the best way to share more tracks is to remove some friends from your list and allow other people in, and to repeat that every now and then. I am doing this right now, I have emptied 20 slots on my friends list so feel free to add me if you couldn't before.