PDA

View Full Version : Are Redlynx Trials games "masocore" games?

QcChopper
07-30-2009, 02:51 PM
One of the latest trends in the Indie game community is called "Masocore" games:

http://www.giantbomb.com/masocore/92-1165/

Now, do you believe that the Redlynx Trials games fit into the "Masocore" gaming category, and why?

rlmergeuser
07-30-2009, 03:30 PM
I don't think Trials fully matches the description even if Trials may bring some frustration. Trials tracks have a clear goal and it doesn't have illogical puzzles. Sure there are some hard tracks in the game, but there usually is many ways to pass the obstacles. Harder track may also need some skills to perform some of the bike tricks, but I view this more as a basic bike control instead of some puzzle that player needs to figure out.

Only 3 of the hardest tracks are really designed to be really difficult with the intend to be challenging and cause some frustration. YSNP especially has some obstacles near the end that could fit the masocore genre.

sebastianaalton
07-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Ultimate Endurance tournament could be considered masocore... I have been trying to pass it almost 10 times with zero faults now... same tracks repeating, and 15 minutes always going off my life... no progress http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_evil.gif

QcChopper
07-30-2009, 03:45 PM
I don't think Trials fully matches the description even if Trials may bring some frustration. Trials tracks have a clear goal and it doesn't have illogical puzzles. Sure there are some hard tracks in the game, but there usually is many ways to pass the obstacles. Harder track may also need some skills to perform some of the bike tricks, but I view this more as a basic bike control instead of some puzzle that player needs to figure out.

Only 3 of the hardest tracks are really designed to be really difficult with the intend to be challenging and cause some frustration. YSNP especially has some obstacles near the end that could fit the masocore genre.

I do mostly agree, but a game does not have to be confusing to be part of this genre, I wanna be the guy for example has a clear objective and straightforward path. The way they break it down on the link I provided is that games are into this genre usualy belong to only ONE category.

Furthermore, I think that some obstacle are confusing to lots of people. People often come to chat and ask "how the hellcan I pass this or that obstacle. Replays help, but without them, most new players are bound to face some confusion on how to pass certain obstacle, even in some medium difficulty levels.

So, Trials games are based on trials and error, and can be confusing at times even though the objective is always straightforward. Trials 2 SE has many easy tracks thrown in so it may be bordeline Masocore IMO, but the earlier games belong in that genre IMO, like Trials Pro and Construction Yard. As for Trials 2 SE, the way I see it, if you HAVE to give the player infinite "lives", you may be talking of a trial and error type of Masocore game, so I vote yes, while I agree a case could be made for both yes and no, hence the poll.

rlmergeuser
06-18-2011, 11:42 AM
One of the latest trends in the Indie game community is called "Masocore" games:

Lol why doesn't the community use the word masochistic??
Masocore....... HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Trials is designed too well to be considered masochistic. Super Meat Balls on the other hand...