PDA

View Full Version : We're not happy (no PC version)

rlmergeuser
06-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Well I'm gonna come straight out and say it; the hardcore fans of this game are not happy.

And we know what we're talking about. We're the ones who have played the game the most out of everybody. Together we have a couple of thousand hours invested into Trials2. We constantly break records, we come to the chat channel all the time, we post in the forum. We are the small, but enthusiastic backbone of the trials community. We simply love this game.

Yesterday when Trials HD was announced, the response in the chat channel was pretty overwhelming. Almost all of us, if not all, feel this has nothing to do with us. Hardly any of us even own an Xbox. So for Redlynx to dangle a carrot in front of our eyes knowing damn well what we expected to hear, and then remove it and give us news that doesn't affect any of us, is pretty ****ty. Not many of us want to buy a new machine just for 1 game, and even then with all the added costs (xbox live, gold membership etc), you can only play it on a controller?? Wow, it's so lame I don't know where to begin. Trials is supposed to be played on a keyboard, end of story!

This new game seems to have everything we wanted.. it's just missing the most vital piece; it's not for PC. I know Redlynx only care about cold numbers, but next time you do something like this, I would hope to see less insensitivity. Don't get our hopes up and get us all excited when you know, or should know, that the news isnt gonna affect most of us.

It seems Inferno II will be for HD.. this is not what was promised and is a lame copout and I think you guys know this. The track was gonna be released for Trials2 SE, plain and simple.

I love this game, it's pretty much the only one I play.. but I don't see myself buying an Xbox just for 1 game. Redlynx, you've lost the backbone of the community with this move. You probably don't care, but I just thought I'd voice what feels like the general concencus from the hardcore fans..

Toa72
06-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Just because it's announced for xbox first, doesn't mean it won't be avaliable for PC later (or at the same time...). I don't think porting a game from xbla to windows is too much rocket science.

But some info from redlynx regarding this would be nice...

rlmergeuser
06-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Totally agree with Norf on this one... Very dissappointed http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_cry.gif

rlmergeuser
06-02-2009, 01:38 PM
While i agree with you norf, i do think theres something coming for us pc gamers, so im not really unhappy at this point.

sebastianaalton
06-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Not many of us want to buy a new machine just for 1 game, and even then with all the added costs (xbox live, gold membership etc)
All Trials HD online features are designed not to require Xbox Live gold membership. We used lots of innovative ideas to store lots of data to the leaderboards and player profiles. Only client to client multiplayer games need the premium gold membership. The free silver account is enough for all Trials HD leaderboard and profile features (including our track sharing implementation). Gold membership offers nothing for Trials HD. The cheapest arcade Xbox version at 199$ is enough to play the game 100%, and you can get used ones for cheaper than that. I know that it's quite a investment if you don't have it and plan to buy it just for Trials HD. But Xbox 360 is currently the platform that has the most new AAA game releases and has become the hardcore player's preferred choice, returning back at least some of the investment if you happen to get some other games for it in the future.

you can only play it on a controller?? Wow, it's so lame I don't know where to begin. Trials is supposed to be played on a keyboard, end of story!
We wanted to fully support analog pads in Trials 2 Second Edition, but as most PC players do not have a good analog pad it would have been unfair for those who play on keyboard. This is why the analog controls were never implemented to Trials 2 Second Edition. In Trials HD analog controls offer many advantages, such as much more precise acceleration on uphills, much more precise braking (gradual scale from super hard braking to soft braking) and more precise leaning (slow leaning is useful on many steep slopes). I personally feel analog controls are better for controlling the bike. And I have played hundreds of hours different Trials games on keyboard. Trials 2 SE pad support was nowhere as precise as it's in Trials HD and didn't have analog support, so it's not a good way to compare keyboard and pad playability.

You can also play Trials HD on keyboard if you get one of those keyboard + mouse converters that many first person shooter players use. The game should play pretty much the same as Trials 2 PC version with one.

rlmergeuser
06-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Sebbbi,

This sounds like you guys really do not plan to do a PC version. This is really bad news for a lot of people here, myself included (even though I have got a 360). http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_sad.gif

sebastianaalton
06-02-2009, 02:39 PM
This sounds like you guys really do not plan to do a PC version.

I can't speak of our future plans, but I am pretty confident that we will be making Trials games for PC in the future as well. Redlynx has released games for countless different platforms: Nokia N-Gage, Sony PSP, Nintendo DS, Apple I-Phone, PC, Mac and Xbox 360. In the past we have always released PC games between our big console releases, and I see no change for that in the future.

Both console and PC games are important for us. PC (self publishing) brings flexibility and complete freedom for new ideas and consoles (big publishers) bring high production values and ability to create larger and more polished games. Sadly it's pretty hard to achieve both as game publishers are currently not that interested in PC.

rlmergeuser
06-02-2009, 03:09 PM
are you done with trials2 SE then?

Inferno II was PROMISED to us. I think you know that at the time you made the promise, it kinda went without saying that it would be for trials2 SE. Now, releasing it instead for Trials HD gives us absolutely nothing. Empty promise.

sebbi, ANBA and all involved.. you could have handled this a little smoother. Redlynx ppl coming into chat and saying stuff like "we wont spoil the news, you have to wait" made us hopeful. You must have realized we were expecting Trials3 for PC. Then giving us news that was great for you but not for us.. it is a little insensitive.

If you care about the hardcore fans, you'll release at LEAST Inferno II for the second edition. Many of us won't be able to play Trials HD at all, so throw us a bone here.

rlmergeuser
06-02-2009, 03:19 PM
This sounds like you guys really do not plan to do a PC version.

I can't speak of our future plans, but I am pretty confident that we will be making Trials games for PC in the future as well. Redlynx has released games for countless different platforms: Nokia N-Gage, Sony PSP, Nintendo DS, Apple I-Phone, PC, Mac and Xbox 360. In the past we have always released PC games between our big console releases, and I see no change for that in the future.

Both console and PC games are important for us. PC (self publishing) brings flexibility and complete freedom for new ideas and consoles (big publishers) bring high production values and ability to create larger and more polished games. Sadly it's pretty hard to achieve both as game publishers are currently not that interested in PC.

Ok, i see where you come from but please lets view this subject from our perspective.

We, your beloved trials 2 fans were told that we would get one last patch, fixing some bugs and getting rid of that stupid wheelie exploit, long before that you promised to
have Inferno II in trials 2, but you decided not to release it instead. Now im sorry but that is such a hard kick in the balls, especially if you announce an xbox 360 game to take place instead of a small patch and a new track. I know you guys are busy, and i still love trials 2 with all my heart because it is just a brilliant game, only it needs the final touches, aka patch and a promised track.

But the worst part of it is, since last patch it has been so quiet around here on the forums, partly ofcourse due to the bot attack that crippled us BADLY, but even so i thought
you were making trials 3 happening, hard at work. However i cannot place blame on you, as it is my own expectations that got shattered and combined with the announcement of TrialsHD was just a bit to much.

I hope you guys will make trials 3 someday and i will gladly buy it the moment its available http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

s0ad667
06-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Yeah, bad news... http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_sad.gif
Don't have a console and i don't think i'll get one in the near future.

Well, good luck with this. Trials HD looks like an amazing game. It's impressive how many features of the never-ending list in the suggestions thread are inside. But sadly i'll never have a chance to play it...

Hope it goes fine, so we can see another Trials game for the PCs in the future.
Anyway, life goes on... http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_neutral.gif

rlmergeuser
06-02-2009, 03:24 PM
Seconded

Very well said mate i feel the same.

sebastianaalton
06-02-2009, 03:48 PM
long before that you promised to have Inferno II in trials 2

All Inferno II comments after summer of 2008 targeted solely Trials HD. I just could not reveal the project to anyone yet at that phase. It's true that a very very preliminary version of Inferno II (only start obstacles) was made long long time ago for Trials 2 SE, but I haven't touched it for a long long time. I am sorry that some of you might have misunderstood my hints, but the whole development team has been really really enthusiastic about Trials HD since last fall, and could only have spilled some hints here and there.

rlmergeuser
06-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Is there anything actually stopping you from converting Trials HD to the PC? Do you have an exclusive deal with Microsoft (for example). According to a dev friend of mine ports from the Xbox 360 to the PC are "relatively" painless.

rlmergeuser
06-02-2009, 04:10 PM
long before that you promised to have Inferno II in trials 2

All Inferno II comments after summer of 2008 targeted solely Trials HD. I just could not reveal the project to anyone yet at that phase. It's true that a very very preliminary version of Inferno II (only start obstacles) was made long long time ago for Trials 2 SE, but I haven't touched it for a long long time. I am sorry that some of you might have misunderstood my hints, but the whole development team has been really really enthusiastic about Trials HD since last fall, and could only have spilled some hints here and there.

Well fine, Then WHY post a video of Inferno II being played a bit on youtube, i kid you not that really was trials 2 se.

So atleast a part of it was already there, but you had to be silent about trials HD, and to top it of a few days before your announcement about Trials HD you said this

Actually I finished creating Inferno II last week and passed it with 5 faults yesterday. Jorma hates the track, but Sipe and me like it a lot http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

Giving us hope of this track actually making it to trials 2, but we didnt know trials HD was coming, and that my friend is very misleading. I cant be bothered anymore, ill just wait for trials 3 for PC, if that ever comes and go from there.

Sorry mate.

rlmergeuser
06-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Eh

This is

NOT what I wanted to hear, guys...

Do you seriously think I'm paying $200 for a console? No. Way. Never. Ever.

I still do hope it's gonna be released on the PC later this year. Good luck in this.

QcChopper
06-02-2009, 06:08 PM
I feel the same way as you Norfair, when I read xbox 360 exclusive, I felt like I've been dealt a big F-U... I just can't help it, Trials HD is the Trials 3 that we were waiting for and helped create with feedback. You should have heard me when I saw the big wheel with the bike and rider inside going down the hill exactly like I suggested, I let out a couple of obscenities, it wasn't pretty. Biggest disappointment ever.

I like Trials so much I'd even resign to buy that big piece of crap called xbox (now that I read that no paying subscriptions are needed) just to play it, but here's the big !@#$%^ deal: I don't have a TV, and I don't need or either do I want one. I just have two PC screens, anyway to plug a XBOX360 on a PC screen?

rlmergeuser
06-02-2009, 06:15 PM
I feel the same way as you Norfair, when I read xbox 360 exclusive, I felt like I've been dealt a big F-U... I just can't help it, Trials HD is the Trials 3 that we were waiting for and helped create with feedback. You should have heard me when I saw the big wheel with the bike and rider inside going down the hill exactly like I suggested, I let out a couple of obscenities, it wasn't pretty. Biggest disappointment ever.

I like Trials so much I'd even resign to buy that big piece of crap called xbox (now that I read that no paying subscriptions are needed) just to play it, but here's the big !@#$%^ deal: I don't have a TV, and I don't need or either do I want one. I just have two PC screens, anyway to plug a XBOX360 on a PC screen?
I think it's possible, if your monitor supports the cables Xbox uses (know absolutely nothing about them).
It's not a good decision, though, I'd say... I'd rather play PC Trials HD http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_sad.gif

I'm not gonna get an Xbox for Trials. I feel "cheated" in some way but even that's not true. I'd like to know one thing though: Do you, Redlynx, think you're gonna make more money by developing a Xbox-exclusive game when it's got a huge PC fanbase waiting for it?

If the answer is yes, I'm sorry, but I'm not gonna be the one giving you the money this time. I'd give you them gladly, if I could buy a PC version. Really.

sebastianaalton
06-02-2009, 06:17 PM
anyway to plug a XBOX360 on a PC screen?

Yes, we have all our Xboxes at work plugged in to PC screens (1680x1050 monitors and 1920x1200 monitors both are working very well with it). You just need a HDMI->DVI cable. All larger computer stores sell those. I got mine for less than 10 bucks, and shorter cables should be even cheaper than that.

rlmergeuser
06-02-2009, 06:24 PM
anyway to plug a XBOX360 on a PC screen?

Yes, we have all our Xboxes at work plugged in to PC screens (1680x1050 monitors and 1920x1200 monitors both are working very well with it). You just need a HDMI->DVI cable. All larger computer stores sell those. I got mine for less than 10 bucks, and shorter cables should be even cheaper than that.
$200 (console) + $10 (cable) + $20 (game) = $230 for Trials HD, if I were expected to do this.

QcChopper
06-02-2009, 06:25 PM
I understand what you're saying Obelix, I felt the same way yesterday, and I wrote a big !@#$%^ rant here and I changed my mind before I hit the submit button. I was really mad, they say sleeping on it brings wisdom or something like that. I am still mad though, but I'm going to do the only thing that I can do if I want to play this... I'll try to score a cheap used X360, I have time to find a bargain since the game isn't out yet. I just hope it can connect to one of my PC screens though going to check that out...

edit, ok thanks for the info sebbbi

rlmergeuser
06-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Yes I have a couple of 360 here both connected to the kids PC screens. One by component and one by VGA. Neither are by HDMI because these are older 360s and don't have HDMI. I should point out that a number of PC monitors now have HDMI so (AFAIK) you could go direct from an HDMI enabled 360.

EDIT:
Regardless of XBOX availabilty here (which obviously isn't a massive problem) I hate the bloody noisy, unreliable http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_asleep.gif've had 8 faulty!!!) boxes. I also want to play Trials at high resolution, not at 1280x720. I will probably buy Trials HD for the 360 but would have paid double the price for it to be on the PC.

sebastianaalton
06-02-2009, 06:45 PM
The old Xboxes without HDMI outputs can be connected to PC monitor (both digital and analog) with a VGA cable. I had my old box connected to my HDTV using a VGA cable and it worked fine (using 720p Xbox native resolution).

QcChopper
06-02-2009, 06:46 PM
My old PC screen has a VGA plug, so the image isn't a problem but what about the sound? Are there some old stereo RCA output?

Edit: Oh and the max resolution my screen supports is 1280 x 1024, will it work?

rlmergeuser
06-02-2009, 06:49 PM
VGA 360 cables usually have two phono (RCA) plugs.

Kid 1:
I then split the audio to the speakers. This works but is unrelaible, crackly.

Kid 2:
I use an audio switch box to the speakers. This works fine.

Kid 1 will be getting an upgrade (one day!)

Resolution. Yes I think it "should" work.......

QcChopper
06-02-2009, 06:52 PM
I just reaized my crappy screen's cable isn't unpluggable, it's built into the back of the screen so the only thing I have is the male plug.... More and more troubles aaaaarghhhhhh !@#%$^

rlmergeuser
06-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Oh lord! lol

Well you either need to get a new screen (recommended) or a VGA switch box.

QcChopper
06-02-2009, 07:05 PM
New screen it will be, but when I can afford it. A nice 22 flat screen sure would be nice though...

sebastianaalton
06-02-2009, 07:10 PM
New screen it will be, but when I can afford it. A nice 22 flat screen sure would be nice though...

Most new LCD monitors have double inputs (or triple), and you can switch the image input by pressing a single button. We are using 3 year old Dell monitors at work, and the output switch has proved to be really useful when developing and playing the game at work.

QcChopper
06-02-2009, 07:10 PM
Oh lord! lol

Well you either need to get a new screen (recommended) or a VGA switch box.

Thanks for the tip... This would do the trick and is inexpensive http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VGA-SWITCH-XBOX-360-PC/dp/B000ZBHXZ4

Most new LCD monitors have double inputs (or triple), and you can switch the image input by pressing a single button. We are using 3 year old Dell monitors at work, and the output switch has proved to be really useful when developing and playing the game at work.

At least now I have options, a switchable input screen would be the way to go, if I can't afford it by release date, I'll go with the switch box.

rlmergeuser
06-02-2009, 09:22 PM
Man I cant believe your not making pc version.... My favorite game is trials 2 but i wont buy a crappy xbox

rlmergeuser
06-02-2009, 09:53 PM
This is gey. sebbbi, you keep talking about how we can spend all our money on cables, keyboards and such, just to ease down our "anger" but the fact is, that you guys put everything we ever wanted in an XBOX game! You have told us to wait for all this time, and you got our hopes up, but it turned out to be a slap in the face.
Throughout this whole thread, you've spoken of everything besides the main problem that Norfair had to inform you with: You letting us, the true fans, down. But I guess all you really care about is the cash..?

I really hope that you'll do a new Trials for pc soon or at least Inferno II.

rlmergeuser
06-02-2009, 10:48 PM
I would just like to chime in as well. The support offered on the wheelie-issues were already quite abysmal http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_asleep.gif realize Redlynx is not a company as large the behemoths of the business, but the least you could have done was let us know the reasons earlier) but this is quite another level. To implement all the ideas of this community into a game a significant amount of said community will never play is just.. nasty. I've got no other word for it.

To release a partial track is a nice gesture I suppose, but I think you are fully aware that you've gone about this entirely wrong and trying to calm us down by explaining how we can buy an xbox is simply an insult to our intelligence.

rlmergeuser
06-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Very good points from everyone so what more can i say? i too am angered by this announcement because of how every one of us were led on.
If they had told us there wouldn't be a trials game for pc this year or whatever, i dont think there would be much to be angry about.

rlmergeuser
06-02-2009, 11:15 PM
I would just like to chime in as well. The support offered on the wheelie-issues were already quite abysmal http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_asleep.gif realize Redlynx is not a company as large the behemoths of the business, but the least you could have done was let us know the reasons earlier) but this is quite another level. To implement all the ideas of this community into a game a significant amount of said community will never play is just.. nasty. I've got no other word for it.

To release a partial track is a nice gesture I suppose, but I think you are fully aware that you've gone about this entirely wrong and trying to calm us down by explaining how we can buy an xbox is simply an insult to our intelligence.

Unfortunately I have to agree with a lot of this. I don't, however, think that sebbbi has actually suggested people without a 360 should go out and buy one he was AFAIK responding to questions from QCChopper.

I suspect, and others have suggested, that this is a 360 exclusive. Normally this means that Microsoft have assisted financially with the development of the game. If this is the case then how easy the game would be to convert to the PC may not be relevent.. They might not be allowed to do it at all. This may mean that the next PC version (if there is one) would at the very least be delayed by how long the agreement lasts for and/or even have to use a different engine and/or be fundamentally different to Trails HD.

I would appreciate some definitive answer from Anba/sebbbi regarding any thoughts they may have regarding how long we may have to wait to see Trials HD for the PC or even Trials 3. Sebbbi did suggest a few scenarios in this thread but nothing concrete at all.

I should point out that there's a lot of conjecture in my statements above!

rlmergeuser
06-02-2009, 11:17 PM
i dont know weather i am alowed to tell you this or not.

There will be no trials HD for PC

There is no Trials 3 planned

Goodbye guys i will not be back

Toa72
06-02-2009, 11:28 PM
I'm sure Trials HD will be a great game, and I can understand why you want this game on xbox live arcade. I own an xbox myself, so I really look forward to the game.

I also understand why people are a little pissed off for not releasing something new for PC. People are just bored by the same old tracks. I really hope you release something to keep the PC community happy while you (hopefully) are working on Trials 3 for PC. A level editor for Trials 2 would keep people happy for many many months. Or at least a track pack...

rlmergeuser
06-02-2009, 11:39 PM
A level editor for Trials 2 would keep people happy for many many months. Or at least a track pack...

The editor idea has to be put to rest now, it was confirmed long ago that we will not get the editor for trials2.

Toa72
06-02-2009, 11:45 PM
A level editor for Trials 2 would keep people happy for many many months. Or at least a track pack...

The editor idea has to be put to rest now, it was confirmed long ago that we will not get the editor for trials2.

Yeah, they wouldn't release it because they wanted to use all their resources making Trials HD. Now that Trials HD is as good as finished, they can make new priorities. I would rather have a level editor in 2 months and Trials 3 in 14 months, than nothing at all for 12 months.

sebastianaalton
06-03-2009, 05:32 AM

I have just stated my personal opinions. I am not that good at calming down a mass of angry people. I am just a programmer so my verbal skills are pretty limited. But what could I do really? Trials HD is going to be released to Xbox 360, and many PC gamers that do not have the Xbox 360 will be disappointed. This is something that I cannot change. Personally I have always been very supportive towards multiplatform releases and all our technology has been developed to allow multiplatform releases very easily. But getting the game to all the platforms I would like is a much bigger task politically and economically as it's technically. Personally I would also like to see Trials HD on PSN, the new PSP, iPhone and PC. And I would like to see all versions use the same track high score lists and same worldwide track sharing server... but that's a bit more dreaming compared to actual reality.

Nothing has changed for Trials 2 really. It's still a very good PC game. I understand that you want more tracks, but the game has been out for more than a year now and we have already released 21 free bonus tracks to the game after the initial release. Not many game developers offer that much free content after their game releases.

I think you all are a bit too harsh on this matter. We have released 4 patches with lots of features suggested by you fans and 21 new bonus tracks for Trials 2 SE completely without charge. I think that we have supported the game really well.

QcChopper
06-03-2009, 06:15 AM
I'm going to restate this one more time: I too, feel betrayed, slapped in the face, mad, furious, backstabbed and teabagged and then there's the middle finger and then some. I feel one of the reasons everybody is going berzerk is that Trials HD is everything we all wished and/or contributed to with ideas. If it was Trials 2 SE that would have been released for XBOX360, there would be no beef. But the expectations that we all had just climaxed with the hints and clues. Then we get to see it, it's the game of our dreams, and it is sold to the "enemy", a plot reminescent of a bad double agent movie. You won't get crap from me for abandoning Trials 2 (except this turd I'm throwing to you for not releasing Inferno II and Deanathon), I had more than my money's worth with this game.

I'm now over with the *****ing because it's done and being mad about it will accomplish nothing. I can either stay mad or STFU and get the game. I know I'll be mad until I get to play it so I am choosing to do so mainly for my mental health. I do NOT play many games, I play very few, most of them Indie or retro, and Trials is really THE game for me so I am the sucker here, for this game that is.

Even with all this crap, I sure wish you Redlynx devs to be succesful, even though I HATE Micro$oft, being published by a company this big is a sign of your success. I can't really condemn you for selling out on this game, only you guys know when/if you broke even with Trials 2. Disclosure would have been apreciated though, and we know there are many things you can't disclose but just saying that you weren't working on something for PC surely wouldn't have been a breach of contract.

Now, I think I have found a way to be able to get the game without having to buy more than the absolute minimum. I must know some things first before I do because if for some reason it doesn't work, than I'll go postal. So what I want to do is buy the crappy XBOX 360 arcade for 200$, and a video capture card, I don't care for recording capacity I just want a card that transmits the signal so I can get the image on my PC screen. I would use my computer speakers by plugging the audio in my PC line-in. Keep in mind my PC screen doesn't support higher than 1280x1024!!! To the best of you guys' knowledge, would this work?

sebastianaalton
06-03-2009, 06:30 AM
a video capture card, I don't care for recording capacity I just want a card that transmits the signal so I can get the image on my PC screen.

All video capture cards have some lag in their preview images. I do not recommend seriously playing any games using a capture card preview image. Trials HD output is vsynched to 60 fps (never drops a frame). Most video capture cards only support 24 and 30 fps capture, effectively halving your frame rate. Good HDMI FullHD 60 fps video capture cards cost around the same as cheap 22" monitors (that have 2 image inputs), and even these cards have slight (couple frames) lag in the preview image.

QcChopper
06-03-2009, 06:39 AM
a video capture card, I don't care for recording capacity I just want a card that transmits the signal so I can get the image on my PC screen.

All video capture cards have some lag in their preview images. I do not recommend seriously playing any games using a capture card preview image. Trials HD output is vsynched to 60 fps (never drops a frame). Most video capture cards only support 24 and 30 fps capture, effectively halving your frame rate. Good HDMI FullHD 60 fps video capture cards cost around the same as cheap 22" monitors (that have 2 image inputs), and even these cards have slight (couple frames) lag in the preview image.

Thanks for the heads up, and CCCCCRRRRRAAAAPPPPP, gonna buy the 22" monitor...

EDIT: and a !@#$% HDMI > DVI adaptor

rlmergeuser
06-03-2009, 06:54 AM
Nothing has changed for Trials 2 really. It's still a very good PC game. I understand that you want more tracks, but the game has been out for more than a year now and we have already released 21 free bonus tracks to the game after the initial release. Not many game developers offer that much free content after their game releases.

I think you all are a bit too harsh on this matter. We have released 4 patches with lots of features suggested by you fans and 21 new bonus tracks for Trials 2 SE completely without charge. I think that we have supported the game really well.
The support and free content you've given for a game that retails for such a low price has been incredible imho.

RedLynxANBA
06-03-2009, 08:27 AM
Hello all from e3.

I have to say that i feel personally very bad if you guys feel disappointed.

Thing is that from the start we have not been tight to any one platform. We are also really small company compared to stuff we create. The guys who you see for example commenting, updating and monitor this forums are the same guys who are making the games. We don't have multimillion dollar budgets or hundreds of people. Its all of us you see of forums making games. We really try to do our best here and give players still best games on market. Its really really tough and long days, i can say that.

Ok trials 2 SE is pc game and as sebbbi said we have been supporting it for 1,5 years and we will continue on that path. Now its time to get trials to much much wider audience to consoles. This move don't mean that there will not be Trials 3 or what ever its called for PC. Future is always uncertain.

btw response here has been really positive and gamers really like the game. Hope you all trials 2 fans still can even look this game as possibility not thread that kills trials 2 SE.

I wish really best of you guys and feel sad if some of you are not coming back.

A from E3.

s0ad667
06-03-2009, 01:48 PM
I'm going to restate this one more time...

Totally agreed with every single word of it, i can say i feel the exact same way. Well, except the part of getting an XBox360, sadly not an option for me.

Anyway, i think people will start to calm down. They/we can't be mad forever. That's the issue with True fans, they are very passionate when it comes to their favourite games. http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

And yeah, no doubt that you have supported Trials 2 SE way too much. It would be very disrespectful for someone to state that.

Anyway part two http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif, good luck with this for one more time. I'll make sure to play it, if i get anywhere near an XBox360.

rlmergeuser
06-03-2009, 03:03 PM
Good Luck with Trials HD , I hope you make a million $$$ with it so you can hire people to work on trials 3 http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif !!!
Please dont forget the PC people !! Redlynx ROCKS even if your not releasing on pc because I know you will release trials 3 someday

rlmergeuser
06-03-2009, 03:11 PM
I wont quit trials 2 se, its the perfect game to kill some time and having fun while im at it, im a true fan and there is no way in hell i am going to abandon that.

These past few days may have been a bit messy, but im over that now, i cant afford to be mad about it all day and i will happely await the next pc installment of trials.

Cheers mates.

Ps Anba Thanks for the response, and enjoy E3.

rlmergeuser
06-03-2009, 06:09 PM
I don't, however, think that sebbbi has actually suggested people without a 360 should go out and buy one he was AFAIK responding to questions from QCChopper.

No, and nobody has stated so. The main thing with this, is just how they kept ignoring the main issue here. Now I see, that both sebbbi and ANBA has commented on this situation, so I guess we will leave it alone from now on.

rlmergeuser
06-03-2009, 08:50 PM

Hey QC, pc screen is fine for xbox, thats what i use for mine, you just get a vga cable and its sorted, then just change the resolutions from the settings!!!

rlmergeuser
06-04-2009, 04:53 AM
wow just wow..

I don't own a xbox I sold it back in december...

and even if I did just wow, you guys made money off your pc version game to make a game on the box.. how much is it going to cost on xbox arcade like 20$? 30$?

you could easily charge 50$ for it on pc, which is 1,000,,000 times better platform then a xbox...

SCREW XBOX!! controllers suck for gaming, ask any FPSer that thinks someone with a controller can beat a mouse and a keyboard...

screenshots are drool and I will not purchase another xbox just for this game, this really saddens me...

Toa72
06-04-2009, 07:52 AM
SCREW XBOX!! controllers suck for gaming, ask any FPSer that thinks someone with a controller can beat a mouse and a keyboard...

This isn't an FPS... http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_asleep.gif totally agree that FPS sucks with controllers...)

I played Trials 2 with xbox 360 controller for 2 months before switching to keyboard. The reason I changed to keyboard was because the game didn't have analog controls, making keyboard just a bit more precice (tapping the accelerate button with an analog trigger wasn't too good).

Analog acceleration and braking will bring a new dimension to the game. I really look forward to playing the game with the new controls.

I too want a new PC version of the game, but we just have to accept that they wanted to bring out the game to new audiences first. I'm sure we'll see another PC version of the game, and it shouldn't take as long to develop as Trials HD did now (reuse graphics, objects, logic, functions and so on...).

sebastianaalton
06-04-2009, 08:15 AM
you could easily charge 50$ for it on pc, which is 1,000,,000 times better platform then a xbox...
RedLynx has always been a very platform neutral company. We have done games for almost dozen platforms already, and we truly believe it's the right choice. Limiting our games only to Windows PC computers would mean that many players would not be able to play our games at all. Counting Trials HD we have released games for: Windows, Linux, Apple Mac, Apple iPhone, Microsoft Xbox 360, Sony PSP, Nintendo DS, Nokia N-Gage (incl NGI), various mobile phones and several cross platform Java/Flash internet games. Trials 2 SE is a great PC game, and I am certain that there will be more PC Trials games in the future. Trials HD was just a perfect fit for Xbox Live arcade as the platform had all the features we wanted: really polished online achievement system, friends system, profile system, worldwide leaderboards (capable of storing our checkpoint comparison times and position data for friend comparison for all players), servers capable of handling track sharing and replay downloads for hundreds of thousands of players, analog controls for everyone, etc, etc. You can develop an online system like this on PC, but the development takes time and money, and maintenance of a worldwide server network to support all the content sharing features, replay downloads, chat, friend features, etc is not exactly cheap for a small company like us. With a big publisher it might be possible in the future, but first we need to get some name to the Trials series. Trials HD the best thing we could do for the series at this moment, and the whole team is very happy about the result and the press response has been awesome so far.

rlmergeuser
06-04-2009, 02:45 PM
RedLynx has always been a very platform neutral company. We have done games for almost dozen platforms already, and we truly believe it's the right choice. Limiting our games only to Windows PC computers would mean that many players would not be able to play our games at all. Counting Trials HD we have released games for: Windows, Linux, Apple Mac, Apple iPhone, Microsoft Xbox 360, Sony PSP, Nintendo DS, Nokia N-Gage (incl NGI), various mobile phones and several cross platform Java/Flash internet games. Trials 2 SE is a great PC game, and I am certain that there will be more PC Trials games in the future. Trials HD was just a perfect fit for Xbox Live arcade as the platform had all the features we wanted: really polished online achievement system, friends system, profile system, worldwide leaderboards (capable of storing our checkpoint comparison times and position data for friend comparison for all players), servers capable of handling track sharing and replay downloads for hundreds of thousands of players, analog controls for everyone, etc, etc. You can develop an online system like this on PC, but the development takes time and money, and maintenance of a worldwide server network to support all the content sharing features, replay downloads, chat, friend features, etc is not exactly cheap for a small company like us. With a big publisher it might be possible in the future, but first we need to get some name to the Trials series. Trials HD the best thing we could do for the series at this moment, and the whole team is very happy about the result and the press response has been awesome so far.
The press response might have been awesome so far, but certainly not the fanbase response. I'm not impressed by Trials HD not being released for PC at all. I, however, wish you to get all the stuff you need to create Trials 3 for PC one day. Trials HD contain pretty much the stuff we as a Trials 2 community wanted, and if it once arrives on PC (hopefully), it'll be great.

Good luck, once again. But only if you really plan to do this when it becomes economically possible.

rlmergeuser
06-05-2009, 11:26 AM
bah my xbox360 is broke and i cant go on the internet with the ******* thing i only have a ps3 now http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_sad.gif

im not happy http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_sad.gif the hardcore fans are left behind http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_rolleyes.gif

+ is it me or are the physics really gone backwards compared to trials 2?
the trials HD looks way more arcade allmost the same feeling as monster truck madness.

Sure the graphics look great but the handles of the bike seems really arcade like now http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_sad.gif

sipe
06-05-2009, 11:53 AM
... but the handles of the bike seems really arcade like now http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_sad.gif

You couldn't be more wrong here ... driving with pro bikes, handling is really advanced as in Trials 2 SE.
Hardest tracks will test your riding skills!

sebastianaalton
06-05-2009, 12:52 PM
Sure the graphics look great but the handles of the bike seems really arcade like now http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_sad.gif

I disagree with you completely, and I have actually played the game for over half a year now. The bike handling is very precise and takes skill. We spent several months in finetuning the bike physics and we are very happy about the result. Optimal landings and jumps off ramps need very precise timing and bike handling skills. As the bike overall top speed is slightly higher in Trials HD, the game punishes even more of your mistakes. It's not a casual game like Monster Trucks Nitro. We have even got mails from our testers telling us that the Extreme difficulty tracks are impossible to pass http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

rlmergeuser
06-05-2009, 06:53 PM
oke thats good to hear!
in the videos the game looks really arcade to me but i need to play it first but sadly aint gonna happen on the xbox360.

Im a huge fan of the trials series and i hope il see this game on the pc some day http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

Sandholm
06-05-2009, 07:24 PM
I'm with you all the way Norf.

Redlynx you should stay with one of the best game you have made, and keep make the players there love it happy.

RedLynxANBA
06-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Back from E3.

- After three days standing on booth feedback was 100%positive among the players and press. We couldn't hope more.
- As sebbbi said after Trials 2 most asked question was: "When itís coming to Xbla?" Well now it is.
- Physics and riding are totally new but still the same. Because they are totally new they are slightly different. And again as Sebbbi said we tuned the riding model 6 months to get it feels right. In my opinion it feels better, more fluent and more in control.
- To me its feels pretty wierd that some of the oldest player's say "boycott this game etc". its like saying: "hope redlynx will die, stop making games" = shutdown the trials 2 servers. Would that be good?

After 22 hours flying and not sleeping now to bed.

Cheers

rlmergeuser
06-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Trials HD sounds like a blast! I'm really looking forward to it, and I'm glad it's coming to XBLA! It's going to be great! ANBA: Keep up the amazing work you and the other developers are doing! You are the people who inspire me to try to make my own games! And I hope Redlynx will keep developing Trials and other (mini)games for all the different platforms!

s0ad667
06-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Welcome back (to Europe http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif), dude. Glad it went well...

And yeah, the idea of boycotting the game was a bit over the top.
I believe we're done with the *****ing now. Too bad you missed all the fan. http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

rlmergeuser
06-05-2009, 11:17 PM
There isn't really much to complain about. If redlynx would have made a different title for the Xbox360 no one would be complaining, I can't really see how this is much different just because it's the same branding as what we have on the PC. There's nothing wrong with wanting to branch out to a wider audience. It doesn't mean they'll drop support for PC just because they're focusing on a certain platform with one release.

rlmergeuser
06-06-2009, 10:38 AM
There isn't really much to complain about. If redlynx would have made a different title for the Xbox360 no one would be complaining, I can't really see how this is much different just because it's the same branding as what we have on the PC. There's nothing wrong with wanting to branch out to a wider audience. It doesn't mean they'll drop support for PC just because they're focusing on a certain platform with one release.

I dont think it was really the fact that the game was not going to be on pc, I think it was more the fact that a lot of the ideas in the game were from people from the forum, that dont have an Xbox, and would maybe not get to see their ideas done properly. I don't care to be honest, even if i didn't have an xbox, just the fact that the developers actually listened to your ideas is good, as not a lot do.

rlmergeuser
06-07-2009, 03:59 AM
i have an xbox360....nah..na...na..nah..nah http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_geek.gif
seriuosly tho, now i have a reason to dust it off.

rlmergeuser
06-13-2009, 03:21 PM
Agree Norf, sad...sad...guess we have to wait and see what will happen to Trials on PC in the future.

Hopefully there will be an update to clear those freaking wheelie scores.

rlmergeuser
06-25-2009, 10:52 AM
Just wanted to say "I'm Happy!"

I'm very excited for this new game and can see a future for trials games on multi platforms which can only be a good thing. Keep up the good work guys Trials HD looks fantastic.

Loyal Trials player.

Alric.

rlmergeuser
06-30-2009, 03:17 AM
Hi guys,
This is probably the highest value game I have bought with regards to pricing. It looks good, rides good, has simple controls, good level design (a bit too hard for my time on the hard levels, but who needs to play them all when there's so many tracks), superb programming (good flow, replays, not one blue screen of death), and the first time I've seen the actual makers of the game openly respond to criticism. A+
Make console games and make some dough. I hope you guys make enough to have fun and make more quality trials games for PC, if yah want.

rlmergeuser
07-13-2009, 08:02 PM
First of all let me say that I really love Trials 2 SE, and thanks for making that possible!

But you devs are really missing the point. NO ONE here is asking you to limit Trials HD to PC, yet you say that limiting it to PC would mean many people can't play the game. Exactly the same applies when you don't release the game on PC.

To be honest, it is the simplest thing to additionally release the game on PC aswell as XBLA and it would make you tons of money. But I'm sure you disagree and think that the deal you must have struck with MS is worth it.

Nonetheless, I hope Trials HD is a success and keep making those games! I'm sure all this ranting is pointless anyway as we can't change your minds now.

-Ice

PS: Boy am I happy I am buying a 360 this month, but that still doesn't lessen my anger at there being no PC version of this game. Thankfully I won't miss out on the new maps and awesome new features of HD, but many will.

Toa72
07-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Who says there wont be a PC version?

rlmergeuser
07-13-2009, 09:42 PM
Who says there wont be a PC version?

Redlynx and the developers...

...To be honest, it is the simplest thing to additionally release the game on PC as well as XBLA...

What kind of experience do you have to back this up?!

RedLynxANBA
07-13-2009, 10:15 PM
.To be honest, it is the simplest thing to additionally release the game on PC as well as XBLA..

Well to be frank itís not really a simplest thing. Sebbi can write how much its work to do here. But hey if it would be like pressing "make pc version" button, why would we not use that magical simplest thing ever trick?

Please, itís coming now the XBLA. Letís hope it comes hit so we can continue making games. Right? This is not any hugemegacorporation with 1000 people and millions of profit every ear. We are making games with small amount of people and we love to create good stuff. I hope it shows on our games.

Sebbi, jorma and some of the guys use their spare time to create tracks for you guys in PC version because people love what they do. Its 10 dollar game and we have supported it over year and continue to support hopefully many years to come.

Hope my point is somehow transmitted even very tired at the moment.

sebastianaalton
07-14-2009, 07:03 AM
Well to be frank itís not really a simplest thing. Sebbi can write how much its work to do here. But hey if it would be like pressing "make pc version" button, why would we not use that magical simplest thing ever trick?
Content can be fully reused, but a PC conversion is pretty much extra work for the coders. Gameplay, graphics, physics and sounds are all portable and very easy to make to work on all our engine's supported platforms. However the network code and the user interface code would need a large scale refactoring. This is not a thing we could do in a week or two. According to my estimate it would take at least 2 or 3 months (if we could have all the needed resources allocated full time for the project).

So am I... really really exhausted right now... More Red Bull at the morning for the final push.

rlmergeuser
07-28-2009, 09:31 PM
Content can be fully reused, but a PC conversion is pretty much extra work for the coders. Gameplay, graphics, physics and sounds are all portable and very easy to make to work on all our engine's supported platforms. However the network code and the user interface code would need a large scale refactoring. This is not a thing we could do in a week or two. According to my estimate it would take at least 2 or 3 months (if we could have all the needed resources allocated full time for the project).

So am I... really really exhausted right now... More Red Bull at the morning for the final push.

That is a really short amount of time for this industry.

Does this mean we can expect Trials HD to be released on the PC 2-3 months after XBLA? http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_rolleyes.gif

rlmergeuser
08-12-2009, 11:59 AM
Just bought Trials HD for the 360 and oh my god it is FANTASTIC! makes Trials 2 on PC look very old and bland, well done on deciding to go to the 360, you will make your name huge on xbox live now!

Reviews are also amazing for Trials HD too, superb!

rlmergeuser
08-12-2009, 01:44 PM
I never seen Trials 2 before on PC until i found Trials HD on parthernetlive. Then a buddy told me there was a pc version. I was abit shock cuz i am a steam user.

But anyway, the release of Trials HD on a console is the best move for Red lynx.

and here is way i say this,

I work for Ubisoft Montreal and i have been the Lead technician for the PC Compatibility Hardware Lab for 12years and on Oct30/2009 ill be loosing my job because PC Games have been in the downfall for the last 4years, my department is being shutdown. I barely get to test any games now. The pc market is in a very bad shape.

it don't matter how strong the community is for Red lynx, the Devteam needs to survive. And by going on the console first, they can at least secure a bigger profit in their future plans.

Blame it on whatever for the downfall of PC games, but from my current experience, i say Red Lynx did the right thing to release Trials HD on a console fisrt, after securing a certain amount of profit, then maybe they can start thinking of releasing it on the PC and even on the PSN.

I would much prefer to play this game on a PC, rather then a console with their dumb limitations, but with the current console market and the DLC system, its the best move a devteam can do, especially for a small team like Red lynx.

Don't hate them for trying to survive.

Cheers!
Sath

rlmergeuser
08-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Haven't read the whole thread, just chiming in:
I, too, think that RedLynx could handle this situation a bit better. When I saw the Trials HD review, I almost immediately wanted to play Trials 2 again... until I remembered that the game still doesn't run properly on my rig and, while playing on low or very low works, it's just a bummer that keeps bugging me, because I really shouldn't have to do that. So, in my book, Trials 2 still doesn't work properly and Trials HD, as far as we know a 360 exclusive, gets released. In the end, the people that supported previous Trials games are getting the shaft, as well as some "just buy a 360" replies, which aren't that helpful, either. No wonder people are pissed.
The solution is fairly simple, imo: State what your plans for Trials on PC are. If you don't have any: Make up your mind. Will Trials HD get a PC port? Will there be a Trials 3 or Trials HD "Remix" (or whatever fancy suffix you come up with) for PC? If so, what's the rough time frame? Half a year? A year? Fifty years? Give PC fans of the game something to look forward to.

Also: While I understand the idea that supporting analog controllers on PC wouldn't be fair for people that don't have one, every other racing game seems to be fine with that and is all the better for it. It's common knowledge that you really should have analog controls for a racer. I don't get why RedLynx seems to put fairness above enjoyment. It's seriously cheaper to get an analog controller for PC than it is to buy a 360, btw. http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

rlmergeuser
08-12-2009, 09:30 PM
I never seen Trials 2 before on PC until i found Trials HD on parthernetlive. Then a buddy told me there was a pc version. I was abit shock cuz i am a steam user.

But anyway, the release of Trials HD on a console is the best move for Red lynx.

and here is way i say this,

I work for Ubisoft Montreal and i have been the Lead technician for the PC Compatibility Hardware Lab for 12years and on Oct30/2009 ill be loosing my job because PC Games have been in the downfall for the last 4years, my department is being shutdown. I barely get to test any games now. The pc market is in a very bad shape.

it don't matter how strong the community is for Red lynx, the Devteam needs to survive. And by going on the console first, they can at least secure a bigger profit in their future plans.

Blame it on whatever for the downfall of PC games, but from my current experience, i say Red Lynx did the right thing to release Trials HD on a console fisrt, after securing a certain amount of profit, then maybe they can start thinking of releasing it on the PC and even on the PSN.

I would much prefer to play this game on a PC, rather then a console with their dumb limitations, but with the current console market and the DLC system, its the best move a devteam can do, especially for a small team like Red lynx.

Don't hate them for trying to survive.

Cheers!
Sath
You mention consoles limitations yet Trials HD on 360 looks absolutely astounding to say the least, smooth as silk and super crisp, even my pc on full didn't look this cool with trials 2 and I have a quad core pc!

Totally agree on the rest of your comments, PC gaming is dying, has been for the last few years with consoles taking over, this won't change as 95% of the developers (that matter) are now making games for console BEFORE PC,

Redlynx certainly done the right thing here, upset a handful of PC trial players but gain a good million plus new 360 gamers/fans, I know what I would choose lol! guess where the next trials will be going! early reports also suggest that Trials HD has been selling superbly already too with only Battlefield: 1943 ahead of it for first day sales this year. (check major nelson)

rlmergeuser
08-13-2009, 01:55 AM
I understand and appreciate your having passion for a game, I had the same for TRIBES, and T2, but life goes on.

These guys gotta earn a living, nothing wrong with that.

That being said who knows what will happen in the future, who would of thought Final Fantasy would come to the 360? Im going to guess that the developer has some agreements they have to stick to right now, probably restricting what they can say as well.

Be patient, if theres a market, and a way Im sure they'll do something eventually.

rlmergeuser
09-02-2009, 02:37 PM
Good god I feel sad to be a PC gamer after the way some of you 'so called' fans have responded.

RedLynx still need to earn a living you know?! If that's ok with you guys?

Jeez!

rlmergeuser
09-03-2009, 12:43 AM
The guy who created this topic (Norfair) made me laugh. He was adamant he was never gonig to buy an Xbox360, then I looked at his signature with the 360 gamercard.

Hehe.

rlmergeuser
09-03-2009, 12:48 AM
The guy who created this topic (Norfair) made me laugh. He was adamant he was never gonig to buy an Xbox360, then I looked at his signature with the 360 gamercard.

Hehe.
http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_lol.gif http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_lol.gif http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_lol.gif I just noticed that! Norfair say you apologise!