PDA

View Full Version : Text and text clipping issues: French

sebastianaalton
08-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Report all text issues (wrong text, text missing, etc) and text clipping issues (text on top of each other, text clipping out of menus, etc) here.

French language issues only to this thread. Report other languages to the language specific thread.

QcChopper
08-14-2008, 05:20 AM
In records screen: (640x480)

"Sauvegarder la reprise" overrides "Commencer la partie"
{changed reprise to replay, we'll see after}

"Menu Principal"': The last letter is clipped from the right of the screen
{it's just abbreviated by the clipping, no big deal}

================================================== ============================================

In Settings screen:

FPS counter shows as INVALID STRING

(Very low mode) 3 on/off switches with no descriptions
{fixed}
================================================== ============================================

In loading screen: (640x480)

Instructions are clipped on the left and right side of the screen.
{On the left it will have to do, anyway it's just 1 letter in the lowest possible resolution, and on the right I shortened it, should be ok}

ANBA: Please provide shorter versions.

rlmergeuser
08-14-2008, 01:57 PM
Reprise is not a correct translation for replay at all.
Just name it replay, everyone here knows what it is. Or at least Video or Enregistrement, but there no actual acurate french translation for a replay as
we understand it.

"Courser" sounds so wrong. Make it "Commencer" (start) or "Courir" (run), but really, "courser" is more than weird.

Also, the official french translation for "chat" is "clavarder". But absolutly no one ever uses that word, except maybe for the integrist french canadians.

When you move the cursor over a locked "play track" for an easy track, one letter is missing, it says "4 autrs pistes" instead of "autres". And by the way, to unlock a difficulty, you do not "d?barre" it. I don't even think this word exists... The correct translation is "D?bloquer".

In the track list, the (selected) is not translated, should be "s?lectionn?e" or "En cours" (current).

In the records list, the personal times should be translated "Individuels" rather than "Personnel", although the later is correct.

A little detail: all the difficulty classes are "single" except the downloadable wich is translated plurial (t?l?chargeables)[/u]

QcChopper
08-14-2008, 03:37 PM
Reprise is not a correct translation for replay at all.
Just name it replay, everyone here knows what it is. Or at least Video or Enregistrement, but there no actual acurate french translation for a replay as
we understand it.

"Courser" sounds so wrong. Make it "Commencer" (start) or "Courir" (run), but really, "courser" is more than weird.

Also, the official french translation for "chat" is "clavarder". But absolutly no one ever uses that word, except maybe for the integrist french canadians.

When you move the cursor over a locked "play track" for an easy track, one letter is missing, it says "4 autrs pistes" instead of "autres". And by the way, to unlock a difficulty, you do not "d?barre" it. I don't even think this word exists... The correct translation is "D?bloquer".

In the track list, the (selected) is not translated, should be "s?lectionn?e" or "En cours" (current).

In the records list, the personal times should be translated "Individuels" rather than "Personnel", although the later is correct.

A little detail: all the difficulty classes are "single" except the downloadable wich is translated plurial (t?l?chargeables)[/u]

"Reprise" is the only term you're going to see for replay here in any TV broadcast. I don't mind if it's changed though.

About "clavardage" I know... but you understood and since you didn't suggest anything else I guess you don't have an alternative. Laeaving it to "chat" would be bad IMO

I disagree on using "Individuels" over "Personnel"

Other than that I agree, nice report

^First post edited^

QcChopper
08-16-2008, 08:23 PM
BETA-2:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c202/QcChopper/FrenchSettings.jpg

Also in the loading screen, the "pencher vers l'avant" on the right side of the screen will have to be on 2 lines like so...

"Pencher
vers l'avant"

(or anyone has an idea for shorter text.)

rlmergeuser
08-19-2008, 10:04 AM
Hey,

I just came back from my vacations, and this is already beta 3 ! I'm really glad to see you have taken into account my suggestions http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

Let's continue:

It's "la replay" all over the game, it should be "le replay". So here is for an easy find/replace:
"de la replay" -> "du replay"
"la replay" -> "le replay"
"une replay" -> "un replay"

In very low mode, settings menu, 3 things are not translated and 2 others are etrangely large (vibrations and particules).

It's "profil", not "profile".

In other games, achievements are translated by "succ?s".

When you are not connected, it says "les temps ne seront pas sauvegard?s et profils hors d'usage". Sounds weird, "hors d'usage" litteraly means "out of order", plus it sounds like a verb is missing. I would suggest "les temps ne seront pas sauvegard?s et les profils sont d?sactiv?s".

I laughed when I saw the "all?g?" graphic quality. That's how we name fat low food. Just let it be "Bas", please http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

On the loading screen, you could change "Pencher vers l'avant" and "Pencher vers l'arri?re" by "s'avancer" and "se reculer". But I admit it could be a little confusing. You could otherwise use "s'assoir" and "se pencher".

On the loading screen again, I suggest you change "Projeter le pilote" by "Ejecter le pilote". "Pojeter" might be confusing, since you might believe you can throw the pilot in a certain good way, whereas "Ejecter" makes it pretty obvious that it's not gonna serve you well...

In normal mode settings menu, I have never seen "Motion floue" and "effet bourgeon" in any other game. I suggest you do not translate those since they are well known technologies, but the fact that I never saw them doesn't mean they've never been translated.

When you choose a track (not through the track list), the description says "courser". Since you changed that for "courir" in the main menu, I guess you should change it here too: "Courez contre les autres joueurs pour les meilleurs temps !". Sounds much better.

The (Selected) in the track list is still not translated. Don't know if that's possible.

In the main menu, I suggest you add an "s" at the end of "Replay", since there might be more than one.

Now let's go back playing !

rlmergeuser
08-19-2008, 01:38 PM
Temps d'envol (air time) should be "Temps de vol".

Camera mode "Aile avant" makes no sense (means front wing). The right translation is "embarqu?e" (on board).

QcChopper
08-19-2008, 04:07 PM
It may make no sense to you, but here I have never heard another word for it. I don't mind changing it, but not for "embarqu?e" never heard that in my life and wouldn't even know what it means, I actually believe it to be worse. Maybe we could just use "guidons" (handlebars) Not word-for-word but the important thing is to know it's from the front of the bike.

About envol: they are synonyms and it's valid, look it up.

Tom-ey-to or tom-a-to, who cares?

rlmergeuser
08-19-2008, 06:05 PM
I knew this would happen...

We have to agree that canadian french and metropolitan french are different.

I post here to report every detail that sounds weird in my metropolitan ear. I've never been to Canada, and I cannot understand one word of "Les t?tes ? claque" unless they are subtitled. And actually, they are when they air on national television.

The thing is, we speak slightly different languages.

So we have 2 choices: either make both versions, or find a solution that feels natural for both of us.

Headlights Camera Mode.

"Aile avant" doesn't exist in France. I suggested "Embarqu?e" because that's what this mode is: une cam?ra embarqu?e. I'm a little surprised that you never heard of that before, and actually a little curious to know how you name a camera that you take on board (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2m62b_mondial-du-vtt-descente-de-venosc-c).
But there are a lot of other propositions to translate Headlights:
-1ere personne, as opposed to third person view.
-Guidon, as you suggested
-Phare, wich is the litteral translation for headlights
-Vue Int?rieure
-etc...

Air time

You're totally right, Temps d'envol and Temps de vol are the same thing. But i used to pilot small planes when I was younger, and as you might already know, what makes you a experienced pilot is the air time, and that is called "Temps de vol", or to be precise "Heures de vol".

I thought a little reference to aeronautics would be nice.

PS: I might be wrong, but you sound a little upset in your last post. I'm sorry if I've been rude or if I sounded like I criticized your work, that was not my intention at all and I should congratulate you for your work. I just play the game in french and write down everything that I think should be corrected, then click Submit.

QcChopper
08-19-2008, 07:26 PM
Sorry if I sounded angry, I wasn't. I actually apreciate criticism because, like you said, we have to come up with a translation that makes sense to all the international Francophone population.

Also, I misunderstood what you were saying about the "cam?ra embarqu?e", but when you first wrote it, I thought you meant the proper word for "fender" was "embarqu?e" so now you know why it didn't make any sense to me. So I think the term "cam?ra embarqu?e" would do fine, def better than the current one.

As for the "temps de vol" VS "temps d'envol": I don't mind one or the other, but I chose the latter because the other reminded me of the translation for "flight time" and found it weird.

Your help is apreciated http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif