PDA

View Full Version : Game Freezes after playing; monitor shuts down [DUPLICATE]

rlmergeuser
06-27-2008, 11:20 PM
Hey, I recently got the game. This happened twice today; the game freezes and the monitor refreshes itself then shuts down after about 10 minutes of play. I read the other thread about a similar issue, but I have no experience in overclocking my graphics card (I'm not to good with computers).

I have a P4 2.80GHZ, 2.5gigs of ram, ati radeon 550x. Yes I know, I have a crappy computer (I play other games like CS:S and CoD2 fine).

rlmergeuser
07-05-2008, 10:47 PM
I have the same problem since yesterday. Never had problems with the game before. I've tried in different resolutions, windowed/fullscreen, no sound, hardware sound, software sound, I've also tried a few different settings on my ATI drivers. Rivatuner is off, no overclocking.

In fact, I changed nothing before the problem started. It just did.

AMD opteron 180,
3 gb ram,
ati x1950 pro 512 mb

sebastianaalton
07-06-2008, 05:55 PM
I have the same problem since yesterday. Never had problems with the game before. I've tried in different resolutions, windowed/fullscreen, no sound, hardware sound, software sound, I've also tried a few different settings on my ATI drivers. Rivatuner is off, no overclocking.

In fact, I changed nothing before the problem started. It just did.

Sounds very much like a hardware problem. When have you dusted inside of your computer case the last time? Have you checked that all of your computer case fans are still running properly at full speed?

rlmergeuser
07-07-2008, 02:39 AM
I assumed it was a driver problem, since it started happening outside trials 2 as well. Now it just happens when I start windows normally. It does not happen in safe mode, nor when I run in normal windows without drivers installed, in low resolution.

I've dusted the case, and that didn't help. What did help was installing old omega custom drivers, and I'm now running windows in my second hour without a crash. Strangest thing though, my browser and almost everything is sort of laggy and slow. I haven't tried games yet, because I seriously doubt that the problem is solved.

How do I check the fan speeds? CPU is at 20 degrees and 2500 rpm, which is excellent according to the scales. But I have no diagnostic tool for the radeon card. Any tips? Strange that it should be overheating even when not in games, no?

rlmergeuser
07-07-2008, 09:18 PM
It only happens in trials 2 for me. I changed my ram recently (late 2007) so it shouldn't be a dust issue.

rlmergeuser
07-31-2008, 04:28 AM
I have a very similar issue and also for me it only happendsin Trials 2. Any other more hardware-dependant game runs smoothly without problems.

At first the game goes well, then it freeze and alot of red stripes show on the screen. Then it all goes black in a minute or so. All I can do is reboot.

sebastianaalton
09-19-2008, 11:55 AM
Any other more hardware-dependant game runs smoothly without problems.

Trials 2 is more hardware (pixel shader) dependant than any game I have encountered. Most other games are both CPU and GPU bound during the frame rendering and are not using the graphics chip 100%. Trials 2 uses the CPU very lightly, and pushes your GPU to the max. This is why overclocked graphics chips, bad case air flow and too low PSUs cause problems with the game. If you want to test if the problem is a hardware problem, underclock your graphics card heavily (half clocks for example). If the problem goes away, it's most likely a hardware problem.