PDA

View Full Version : More resolutions possibly?

rlmergeuser
06-23-2008, 01:32 AM
I was saddened after my purchase to find that Trials 2 didn't support 2560x1600 which is my screens native res. Is it possible to include this in a patch or make the modification myself?

sebastianaalton
06-23-2008, 08:41 AM
I was saddened after my purchase to find that Trials 2 didn't support 2560x1600 which is my screens native res. Is it possible to include this in a patch or make the modification myself?

You can actually modify it by yourself. Just open the setup.dat (found in appdata\local\Redlynx\Trials 2\1.0\setup.dat) in a hex editor. The first 2 qwords are the resolution height and width. Just type in 2560 and 1600 in there and it should work.

However if you do this, the loading screens and the menu background are not shown correctly (the image is only sized 1920x1200, so it will fill only a part of your screen). I'll check if we have time to code background scretching for v1.08 for oversized resolutions.

rlmergeuser
06-23-2008, 11:19 AM
I'll check if we have time to code background scretching for v1.08 for oversized resolutions.

I'm using a Matrox triplehead2go and run 3840x1024 in most games, this would be very helpful for me too. At the moment I just use one monitor but how cool would it be if three could be used. http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

p.s. my first post. Just had to say what a fantastic game it is. I'm hooked. http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_cool.gif

rlmergeuser
06-23-2008, 01:39 PM
Welcome! And damn you have high res! You should start making vids! Or at least take a pictures of the monitors running Trials http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

rlmergeuser
06-23-2008, 09:41 PM
You guys really have a tight and fast acting community here, this is why indie games are becoming so popular, they actually listen to the customer and help out and thats worth the price right there. http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

rlmergeuser
06-30-2008, 11:06 AM
I don't understand hex editor stuff so couldn't get the 3 screens working. I noticed that the new patch 1.08 now includes support for a higher resolution. Any chance you can add 3840x1024 support? Just thought I would mention it incase it only took a minute to program. Thanks, Alric.

sebastianaalton
06-30-2008, 12:02 PM
Official support added to all resolutions up to 2560 x 1600 in the forthcoming v1.08 patch. v1.08 will be likely released late this week or early next week (Steam version should be out couple of days later, as Valve internal testing and publishing cycle takes some time).

I don't understand hex editor stuff so couldn't get the 3 screens working. I noticed that the new patch 1.08 now includes support for a higher resolution. Any chance you can add 3840x1024 support? Just thought I would mention it incase it only took a minute to program. Thanks, Alric.

I do not see any problem in adding 3840 vertical resolution support. However we do not have any test setups that reach that high resolution. Also 3840 x 1024 is more wide resolution than 16:9, so there might be some problems in menu screens (likely bottom/up of the screen cropping off slightly). Currently we support all aspect ratios starting from 5:4 to 16:9 (5:4, 4:3, 16:10, 16:9). Your resolution aspect ratio is 16:4.266 (more than double wide compared to 16:9) so there might be some problems with it. Also I doubt that your Matrox card it capable of running the game smoothly on 3840 x 1024 resolution. It takes lots of GPU power to run that large resolution.

rlmergeuser
06-30-2008, 01:06 PM
(Steam version should be out couple of days later, as Valve internal testing and publishing cycle takes some time).
Im sorry, but if this is how its gonna be i REALLY think that a) steam users should be given the possibility to "release" their current purchased game from their Steam account, or b) the game update should be held back untill both distribution methods are ready for release at the same time.

This would give the non-Steam users a HUGE advantage over Steam users in several ways. They will be able to bolster their global ranks as they can play more tracks, they can practice on the tracks well in advance of Steam users, and finally, new tracks is one of the few times where people who arent Lestropie, JukkaN, mrT etc. have any real chance of getting the Top Score or even Top Dog achievements. I just feel it would be an unfair discrimnation of Steam users (of which you've probably already deduced i am one) compared to non-Steam users. We've paid the exact same price for the game as all others, so why should be be punished, cause we were introduced to the game by Steam and not some other website etc.?

rlmergeuser
06-30-2008, 01:49 PM
Thankyou very much for your reply sebbbi much appreciated. Yeah it is strange resolution. I play a racing simulation game called live for speed. A lot of the users on their use 3 monitors because it gives you a better idea of whats around you. It could be good for trials too because you would know what was coming up sooner.

Its not a matrox card its just a little external box that tricks the graphics card into thinking I have one big monitor. My rig (geforce 8800ultra) plays games like half life 2 and crysis with 3 screens, although not at a great frame rate but it is playable. Would be interesting to be able to try it in trials 2, would love to test it for you. If not thanks anyway and thanks for the most addictive game ever. http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_cool.gif

rlmergeuser
06-30-2008, 10:22 PM
We've paid the exact same price for the game as all others, so why should be be punished, cause we were introduced to the game by Steam and not some other website etc.?
It's not true that Steam users paid the same ammount as the others. Some of us paid $19.90, when the game was first released!

Still, it's a bit wired that Steam users have to wait some days to get theire update. Plus, they should also start with an announced time and date for their update releases.

rlmergeuser
07-01-2008, 08:14 AM
Thankyou very much for your reply sebbbi much appreciated. Yeah it is strange resolution. I play a racing simulation game called live for speed. A lot of the users on their use 3 monitors because it gives you a better idea of whats around you. It could be good for trials too because you would know what was coming up sooner.

Its not a matrox card its just a little external box that tricks the graphics card into thinking I have one big monitor. My rig (geforce 8800ultra) plays games like half life 2 and crysis with 3 screens, although not at a great frame rate but it is playable. Would be interesting to be able to try it in trials 2, would love to test it for you. If not thanks anyway and thanks for the most addictive game ever. http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_cool.gif

nice!! i play live for speed too. cool game man!! aint played for a while though, maybe we can have a race some time. http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

rlmergeuser
07-01-2008, 08:52 AM
The updates will be released as synchronously as technically possible. The difference is likely to be a few hours, not days.

Release date for next update is not announced yet.

sebastianaalton
07-01-2008, 02:21 PM
This would give the non-Steam users a HUGE advantage over Steam users in several ways. They will be able to bolster their global ranks as they can play more tracks, they can practice on the tracks well in advance of Steam users, and finally, new tracks is one of the few times where people who arent Lestropie, JukkaN, mrT etc. have any real chance of getting the Top Score or even Top Dog achievements. I just feel it would be an unfair discrimnation of Steam users (of which you've probably already deduced i am one) compared to non-Steam users. We've paid the exact same price for the game as all others, so why should be be punished, cause we were introduced to the game by Steam and not some other website etc.?

The few days figure was a bit exaggerated. It's more likely a half day difference at most.

The technical problem here is that we have to update our Trials 2 game server before the Steam release can go off, and we do not know the exact release time for the game Steam version, as Valve is doing the release themselves. The extra complication here is that Finland and US are at completely different sides of the globe, so the Steam release happens likely at night time for us, and we have to put the servers ready for the Steam players before that (before everyone leaves work). At this time our server also starts to autopatch all Trials 2 versions bought from us (the game automatically notices that the server has been updated and downloads the patch). So there will be around half a day gap before the Steam release goes online from the point of our server version upgrade. We just can't be here at the office the whole night testing that the new server goes online, and the first players download the patch fine (this is much more easier to do on regular work hours). Usually getting the servers and websites, etc updated and tested properly has taken around 4 hours. This is an awfully long time if you have to be at work from 1:00 AM to 5:00 AM for example. You have to remember that all of us have other tasks to do also at work (Trials 2 SE is launched already, so the maintaining of it is not a full time job for anyone), and many of us had wifes and kids at home too.

Also if there are problems in the patch, it's much more easier for us to fix our internal build right after the release than provide Valve a new Steam version to test all possible issues. You Steam users actually are in a advantaged situation: If there are problems in the version update, all problems have already been identified and solved before Valve updates the version at next night.

rlmergeuser
07-01-2008, 04:20 PM
you just got told !!!!1

sebbi owned you.

That seams fair enough you guys cant be there all day and night.

rlmergeuser
07-01-2008, 06:12 PM
Nice Sebbbie, good answare.