PDA

View Full Version : Display driver nvlddmkm.dll stopped responding + artifacting

rlmergeuser
05-01-2008, 10:59 PM
First off system specs:
DFI Bloof Iron P35 T2RL
E6600 on Tuniq Tower
2*1gb OCZ Platinum Revision 2 PC2-6400C4
Leadtek 8800gt powering Samsung Syncmaster 205BW
Corsair VX450W + 320gb Maxtor + 500gb Seagate 7200.11
Vista Ultimate 32bit

And I've re-installed Vista 3 times, no help.

So everytime I play Trials 2 SE, I get the screen going black, then coming back, and a message in the corner from the taskbar saying "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."
This happens whatever res i run in, full screen or not, whatever graphics options, and with the 169.25, 174.74 and 175.12 drivers.

Sometimes it happens so often the game is unplayable, sometimes I only get it every five minutes so I can get a bit done.

I get this error in no other games whatsoever, Crysis, UT3, TDU, MOH:A, DOW, COD2, COH, GTR2 etc etc.

And the other thing, sometimes, after I get my nvlddmkm.dll error, my screen sometimes goes crazy artifacting, and I mean crazy.
They're everywhere, and wont go away without a reboot.

It's really putting me off Trials 2, I've dropped ~10 places since I started getting this because it's not worth the agro playing.

And aero still works (with artifacts though), but I have found that switching to classic theme makes the artifacting go away, but only for a few minutes before they come back again.

And both of these errors happen with the full version of the game and the demo.

And this happens with my CPU at stock or overclocked, and my GPU at stock or overclocked too.

I would really appreciate any help in making this go away, I love the game, had it since the original Trials 2, loved it then too. I don't want to stop playing this!

sebastianaalton
05-05-2008, 07:34 AM
My rig is pretty much the same as yours (P35 + E6600 + 2GB of fast memory + 450W power), even the CPU cooler is identical (but Radeon 3870 instead of Geforce and 64 bit Vista). No problems here.

It's really putting me off Trials 2, I've dropped ~10 places since I started getting this because it's not worth the agro playing.

So Trials 2 SE run fine before, and it has now started to crash? Did you change anything in your hardware when this started to happen?

And aero still works (with artifacts though), but I have found that switching to classic theme makes the artifacting go away, but only for a few minutes before they come back again.

Aero glass not working properly sounds like there is a serious problem somewhere in your setup. My friend has had problems like this with his setup. Those fast OC memory chips break easily, and start to cause problems. I suggest downloading an running a memory tester (http://www.memtest86.com/).

rlmergeuser
05-05-2008, 05:29 PM
nvlddmkm.dll is a nVidia driver problem, so that's why you wouldnt be getting it.
But it only happens in Trials 2, and with a variety of drivers, so it has to be related to that program :S

It happened before whilst I had my P965 board with my old HDD as Vista install, and now when I have my new HDD and P35 board.
I changed nothing in my hardware at all, it just appeared.

Aero glas does work, just the whole screen is filled up with artifacts.
Memory is fine, have tested it multiple times at many speeds (it's way way underclocked at the moment).

I have no idea what has been causing this, it has to be in game, as no other games do this to my rig, and it's 100% stable with everything else (Orthos, ATItool test etc.)

Thanks

Mat

sebastianaalton
05-05-2008, 06:27 PM
it's 100% stable with everything else (Orthos, ATItool test etc.)

But the Aero Glass issue seems to indicate that there is something wrong in the system. Seems odd, as you have already tried different driver revisions and the other games you are running are not having any artifacts.

rlmergeuser
05-05-2008, 07:33 PM
The artifacts are caused by one of the errors, which are in turn caused by Trials 2. They just don't go away when Trials 2 is stopped.

I don't have any artifacts in any other games at all at any point.

sebastianaalton
05-05-2008, 08:36 PM
The artifacts are caused by one of the errors, which are in turn caused by Trials 2. They just don't go away when Trials 2 is stopped.

Oh, then I misunderstood you. Sorry. I thought the Aero Glass was always having artifacts. Then the problem most likely is in Trials 2. We have one 8800 gt + Vista ultimate test machine at work, and the game works perfectly on it. Is there something special in your computer setup? For example are you running the game on a TV connected to the computer, do you have secondary graphics adapter, etc?

rlmergeuser
05-05-2008, 09:35 PM
Running nothing else than said.
(actually I lied there, didn't realise I didn't mention my Creative X-Fi music, but I always turn sound off in game anyway)

Monitor is plugged straight into GPU (via DVI), and it happens when plugged into either port too.

Have dropped 20 places now :L

rlmergeuser
05-06-2008, 01:13 AM
if you have a second gfx card an old spare or something why not try that? or partition your drive with basic xp and try it on there?

rlmergeuser
05-06-2008, 09:30 AM
if you have a second gfx card an old spare or something why not try that? or partition your drive with basic xp and try it on there?

I have a 7900gt that I can try with when I get home.

If that doesn't work I can set up an XP install at some point.
But from what I have found, that specific driver error has only been found occuring on Vista.

sebastianaalton
05-06-2008, 11:36 AM
(actually I lied there, didn't realise I didn't mention my Creative X-Fi music, but I always turn sound off in game anyway)

Other players have also had serious problems with SB X-Fi in Vista in Trials 2 and other OpenAL games. Games hanging and having blue screens, etc. The newest just released Creative SB X-Fi drivers has improved the situation for some players, but many are still having problems (especially with more than 4GB of memory). I suggest upgrading your X-Fi drivers, or trying to start the game without the sound card installed. You can alternatively select "No Audio" from the startup dialog to disable the audio completely (using the ingame volume adjust meters just turns off the volume).

sebastianaalton
05-06-2008, 09:58 PM
I don't use the audio, I've always selected no audio as I listen to music instead.

I only installed Vista again last week with the drivers, how new are the new drivers?

If you have selected "No audio" from the start dialog, then the game doesn't even use the X-Fi, so the problem must be elsewhere. The newest drivers are around 2-3 week old, if I remember correctly.

Btw. have you forced antialiasing enabled from your graphics card control panel, or some other setting that could cause problems with the game (such as transparency anti aliasing)?

[OOPS! Accidentally deleted your post I was replying to. At least I got something saved in the quote]

rlmergeuser
05-07-2008, 02:44 PM
I don't use the audio, I've always selected no audio as I listen to music instead.

I only installed Vista again last week with the drivers, how new are the new drivers?

If you have selected "No audio" from the start dialog, then the game doesn't even use the X-Fi, so the problem must be elsewhere. The newest drivers are around 2-3 week old, if I remember correctly.

Btw. have you forced antialiasing enabled from your graphics card control panel, or some other setting that could cause problems with the game (such as transparency anti aliasing)?

[OOPS! Accidentally deleted your post I was replying to. At least I got something saved in the quote]

I was wondering where the hell my post went...

I have the latest drivers on the Creative website, and the same thing happened with the drivers before anyway.

No I'm not currently forcing anything through the nVidia control panel, but I have before, and the same thing happened as is happening now.

There are new nVidia drivers out now, I shall give them a try as soon as I can.

rlmergeuser
05-08-2008, 11:54 AM
New drivers still give the same problem.

I hear there will be new WHQL drivers out sometime next week, for the first time since december last year.

I'm holding out for them.

rlmergeuser
05-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Tried playing again today.

Got glitching followed by a blue screen caused by the same driver.

I played 3 hours of TDU earlier though, so it still has to be Trials :/

rlmergeuser
05-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Glitching and pausing still happens with the update too.

Is playable though... atm.

rlmergeuser
05-27-2008, 12:50 AM
Hang on in there for the WHQL's mate.

I used to get similar problems playing WoW.
Random triangular artefacts that would either flicker or let me see 'through' the game world.
Also had that annoying monitor problem where the screen would blank almost at uncannily at the moment I needed it most.
Every other game was fine.

Tried cleaning the HSF to improve temps (although I notice you play Crysis, and I doubt Trails2SE puts more load on the system than that. I'm assuming temps are fine)

Tried no end of driver updates with no joy.
Various game updates wouldn't fix it, ended up rolling back to an older nVidia driver with limited features but a vaguely playable display.
Blizzard finally fixed it in a patch.

My father has Trials2SE installed (hehe, 62 and mad for a car or bike game http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif...Motorsport addict http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif)
He runs a 6500 (I think, will need to double check that) and suffers the same glitches you do. In his words.."The palettes keep flickering")
He runs XP not Vista also if that helps in the diagnosis any.
I'm going round this weekend to try and sort his drivers to a playable state for him.
If I find a version that works I'll be sure to let you know

As this is a game, not driver issue, and you might have to wait a while unless the devs can source the issue and fix it pronto.
Rolling back might at least help you save your ranking, but it'll probably hurt the likes of Crysis http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

rlmergeuser
05-27-2008, 10:34 AM
Nvidia WHQL certified drivers 175.16 are now out, got them this morning. Are these the ones you were waiting for? Am hoping for a performance boost with these!

Cheers

sebastianaalton
05-28-2008, 09:01 AM

Your issue seems awfully similar that this issue. He solved the issue by clocking his graphics card back to manufacturer default.

http://www.redlynxtrials.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=407

You could try to underclock your GPU a bit to see if this helps.

rlmergeuser
06-20-2008, 12:44 PM

Your issue seems awfully similar that this issue. He solved the issue by clocking his graphics card back to manufacturer default.

http://www.redlynxtrials.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=407

You could try to underclock your GPU a bit to see if this helps.

I had this problem on one of my kids systems which had a BFG 8800GT OC2 in it. My other two systems were fine (9800GTX and an 8800GTX Ultra). I tried the card in both of the other systems and the problem went with it. I down clocked the card to BFG's standard OC settings and it has worked ever since. IMO Trials 2 stresses graphics cards more than most games and this causes the nvlkddm/black screen/freeze error. I should mention that the 8800GT did crash once or twice in a couple of other games (Crysis being one of them) again, since down clocking there have been no crashes in anything else.

rlmergeuser
06-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Hey I had a problem once when I was playing trials and suddenly I saw all these sparkly shiny artifacts and then I got a blue screen of death,
I thought my computer had just given up and died, but when I restarted it everthing worked fine