PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions and improvements for Trials 2 Second Edition

sebastianaalton
04-18-2008, 07:40 AM
This thread will include all improvements planned for Trials 2 Second Edition and all suggestions how you would like to have the game improved in the future patches.

Please remember that all radical large changes for Trials 2 Second Edition are not possible at this stage of the project. Please post suggestions like these to the "Suggestions and improvements for future Trials games" thread: http://www.redlynxtrials.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2678.

Quick checklist of things NOT possible for future Trials 2 Second Edition patch:

1. Installer and patcher size limits
All changes that would require major changes to the installer, and require a patch larger than 20MB or require the game installer to be larger than 200MB are not going to be considered. Portion of our existing Trials 2 SE users are using dial-up connections (modems, gprs/3d wireless modems, etc). We have listed dial-up as the minimum requirement to run the game, and we will support everyone with the minumum hardware specification.

This means that all completely new environments (Warehouse, Stadium) and expecially outdoor racing (Construction Yard, Forest, Mountain/rocks) are not possible add-ons for Trials 2 Second Edition. Also large scale modifications for our current object and material set are not possible. New tracks itself are small, so expect to have many new tracks in the future for Trials 2 Second Edition.

2. Replay and track high score limits
We have a quite large comminity right now, and everyone has worked hard to get solid high scores in the 45 levels available. We do not want to make any changes that would require us to clear all the high score lists, unless there is a huge bug that prevents majority of players enjoying the game. All changes that would affect bike physics and driveability would affect the level records and replays.

This means that features such as improved physics modeling (mofidied traction, collision response, etc), bike customization (suspension, engine, brakes), new bikes models, real analog control (for leaning, braking and acceleration), separate back and front brakes, leaning up/down in addition to back/forward, etc are not possible add-ons for Trials 2 Second Edition.

3. Technology and testing limits
Trials 2 is the first PC game released that uses our cross platform game development library. We have used lots of money and resources to test the technology properly on multitude of Windows/PC platforms in addition to all console platforms we support. Even with all this testing doing on, there has been many small compatibility issues found after the game release, and it has required us 3 patches (v1.04, v1.05, v1.06) to get all these issues fixed.

This means that all major scale technology changes, such as configuring Trials 2 SE to use our new terrain rendering engine or our new particle engine are out of question at this stage of the project. We do not want to risk causing additional compatiblity problems and requiring to patch the game multiple times again. Also adding completely new supported systems, for example Mac, would require us to validate everything again for all hardware configurations available (PPC/Intel CPU, ATI/NVidia graphics, different OSX versions, etc). We do not have the required workforce or the testing hardware to implement huge changes like this currently. For any future Trials games we are of course evaluating all our options again in case by case basis.

4. Server limits
Currently Trials 2 SE utilizes one game server and one download/patch server. We do not have any server scaling beyond this. All the current online features of the game have been designed so that the stress to the server is minimized. Level files are small, replay files are small and there is no need for the game to stay continuously connected to the server. There are also no direct connections between players, as this would complicate the system considerably, and open up a whole lot of new possible security issues.

This means that we are not introducing any new features to the game that would increase the server stress considerably. Features such as user painted bikes, driver costumes and driver faces, user recorded replay sharing/ranking, etc are not going to be implemented for Trials 2 Second Edition. Also all real multiplayer modes that require direct connection between players cannot be implemented without large scale modifications to our server structure. All these features are of course evaluated for future Trials games.

sebastianaalton
04-18-2008, 07:46 AM
For the next scheduled version (v1.07) list of patches and bugfixes, please see the Technical Support sticky thread.

Possible changes later:
- Relief mapping enable/disable for high end cards. Relief mapping would be used on floors and ceilings and some other suitable objects (instead of parallax mapping used normally).
- Enable/disable HUD option (for video capturing and replays).
- Benchmark mode. Game runs prerecorded replays of 3 tracks (different camera mode each) and calculates average/min/max FPS. You can select graphics settings for the benchmark run.
- Support for connection through a network proxy server. Some players can't access network directly at work computers (high security firewall). Trials communicates using basic HTML requests (using port 80), so it can connect through default HTML proxy servers many companies are using for web browsing.

rlmergeuser
04-18-2008, 08:25 AM
That was a good list of stuff not possible, but what about making it so you can click on the levels in your "Your Stats" page and see the time and even start the level. Nothing big, but would be nice.

rlmergeuser
04-29-2008, 04:37 PM
Return to previous checkpoint:

Sometimes I want to train some tricky part but I accidentally drive to next checkpoint. If I want to try that tricky part again, I have to restart the race. It would be handy to teleport to previous checkpoint instead.

rlmergeuser
05-27-2008, 10:21 PM
Return to previous checkpoint:

Sometimes I want to train some tricky part but I accidentally drive to next checkpoint. If I want to try that tricky part again, I have to restart the race. It would be handy to teleport to previous checkpoint instead.

Yup agree, Would be useful for those of us still learning the tracks http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

I posted here http://www.redlynxtrials.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=322
about the word driver to help anyone who isn't a native English speaker understand a bit better the difference.
Was seeing a lot of 'driver' and 'pilot' references when talking about the bike rider in the forums.
Not complaining, I only speak 1 language http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_redface.gif so hats off to those of you who are bi or even multi-lingual.
Simply offering constructive criticism.

Having just played I noticed this error carries across into the game also.
You might want to fix this as it's a big grammatical error.

It's not possible to drive a bike...you ride it.
It's Rider not Driver.

The in-game text all says "Driver Unconscious" etc.
This makes no sense in English when referring to a bike.

Rider is used for Bikes(Bicycles), Motorbikes, and Horses.
Driver is used for Cars, Lorries, Trains and pretty much anything with 4 wheels.

Hope this helps. http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

rlmergeuser
05-27-2008, 10:30 PM
Havn't really thought about that Erb, but now that you mention it. I support you and they should try to fix it if its possible. Going to start think about that now every time i see it :p

rlmergeuser
06-03-2008, 05:06 PM
It'll be nice after finishing a track and a screen comes up showing you which bones you have broken. like a rotating picture of the rider high-lighting in red(or whatever color) showing which bones you have broken.

Edit: also can you add "Scotland" to the list of countries by Profile

rlmergeuser
06-05-2008, 09:18 PM
Hi!

I have 3 suggestions:

[list:sctqs0jg][*:sctqs0jg]Overall scores: I came to this when trying to improve my times to get the Easy 6min achievement (I'm sorry I don't know the name), and that it would be nice to be able to see the whole time for my Easy times. So, it would be overall score for Tutorial, Easy, Medium... so you can check who made for each group the whole best time (probably mrT lol), whole amount of flips/wheelie, faults, and such. I think this could be an interesting rank, and maybe it doesn't require to be included ingame, maybe in the stats part of the website could be enough, I don't know how difficult it would be to make this. Of course, you wouldn't be added to the rank unless you have finished all tracks from the group.[/*:m:sctqs0jg]
[*:sctqs0jg]Driver alive/dead: The info about the driver (if he's dead or unconscious) is not very useful. I think it's just to get the achievement, but nothing else. So I think, if the driver is dead, you shouldn't be able to play again from the last checkpoint. It would make the game more difficult, but I think there should be some difference between both states. Else, it would be nice to add a checkbox in the options to disable the message about the driver and only read the countdown timer and so because it doesn't reveal anything.[/*:m:sctqs0jg]
[*:sctqs0jg]Wheelie front wheel: As the name says. Dunno if it's good to "join" both in the same counter or use separate counters, but the thing is that wheelie from front wheel is also a wheelie.[/*:m:sctqs0jg][/list:u:sctqs0jg]

Maybe 3rd it's not a very good suggestion (probably you read it before from someone else), but the first one I think it could fit good in the game, and the second suggy, at least adding the option to remove the text would be perfect.

rlmergeuser
06-06-2008, 01:12 PM
The overall score is on the website on the bottom of your name.

the third suggestion have I mention before and still want it to be a singel level or a part of the already wheelie lvls.

QcChopper
06-09-2008, 07:31 PM
The only thing I want now is a streak mode: more than one track in succession, ranking would be cumulative. It would be the best thing ever for hardcore players, and since it require no new levels, you devs could concentrate your efforts on new easy tracks for less experienced players.

http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_exclaim.gif Please tell me it's going to happen http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_exclaim.gif

rlmergeuser
06-26-2008, 12:16 AM
The swedish flag is wrong. I saw it almost straight away when looking for the flag, but had to carefully check every other flag before deciding by process of elimination that it was meant to be the swedish flag.

The swedish flag is BLUE with YELLOW lines. It is currently GREEN.

The australian flag represents a blue background very well, so i know its not because yellow is leaking across the flag turning it green. its just wrong. Please fix?

rlmergeuser
07-05-2008, 07:41 PM
I (and certainly some other beginners) would appreciate this:

It drives me mad when I am required to go away of PC while Im playing Trials. I am really unskilled, and therefore while playing hard levels (e. g. King of the Beer) I just have to go away, next time I start playing Trials, I have to start the Beer level from the very beginning, which annoys the hell out of me. I have extremely big problems with climbing up the first hill, not to mention the second (which I have actually never done so far). If I manage to climb the first one, I am satisfied, until I have to leave. Starting that over and over is so annoying.

On behalf of beginner players, I would kindly like to ask you to implement a feature which would enable us, after quitting the game to either the main menu or to Windows and then starting it again, to continue playing from last checkpoint of the last track we had played. So in the main menu there would be options like "Start race" (as now) but also something like "Continue last checkpoint" or similar. Meaning that if I click that button, I would spawn on the last checkpoint in Beer, which I had passed before I last left the game to menu or operation system.

Another option how to use this feature is that you quit the race and go watch some pro replay from the Records page. That will help you with approx. arrow key usage, if you are hopeless, and after that you can get straight back to game and the last checkpoint you passed before. I really need this, because after some 500 faults at the Beer's second steep hill I was feeling ... as if you need to go back, but at the same time you want to stay here. If I quitted the game (and I did it) to watch a replay (which helped me) then I had to start the level again (which annoyed me and I didnt manage to do the first hill again, and I quitted the game totally and came to write this post).

What do you think about this? http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif

rlmergeuser
07-05-2008, 09:12 PM
I (and certainly some other beginners) would appreciate this:

It drives me mad when I am required to go away of PC while Im playing Trials. I am really unskilled, and therefore while playing hard levels (e. g. King of the Beer) I just have to go away, next time I start playing Trials, I have to start the Beer level from the very beginning, which annoys the hell out of me. I have extremely big problems with climbing up the first hill, not to mention the second (which I have actually never done so far). If I manage to climb the first one, I am satisfied, until I have to leave. Starting that over and over is so annoying.

On behalf of beginner players, I would kindly like to ask you to implement a feature which would enable us, after quitting the game to either the main menu or to Windows and then starting it again, to continue playing from last checkpoint of the last track we had played. So in the main menu there would be options like "Start race" (as now) but also something like "Continue last checkpoint" or similar. Meaning that if I click that button, I would spawn on the last checkpoint in Beer, which I had passed before I last left the game to menu or operation system.

Another option how to use this feature is that you quit the race and go watch some pro replay from the Records page. That will help you with approx. arrow key usage, if you are hopeless, and after that you can get straight back to game and the last checkpoint you passed before. I really need this, because after some 500 faults at the Beer's second steep hill I was feeling ... as if you need to go back, but at the same time you want to stay here. If I quitted the game (and I did it) to watch a replay (which helped me) then I had to start the level again (which annoyed me and I didnt manage to do the first hill again, and I quitted the game totally and came to write this post).

What do you think about this? http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif

i think they cant cause it means you can pause the game and is sort of like cheating then

rlmergeuser
07-05-2008, 09:34 PM
i think they cant cause it means you can pause the game and is sort of like cheating then

Do you think that ability to continue playing a previously started game after you had been called off the PC by some unexpected event is a cheat?

And the thing with the replays shouldn't be considered as a cheat, but as a help for novice players, who won't be able to win the first place anyway. Just my opinion.

You know, personally I just want to complete all the levels. And I never (or not till I gain some skill) want to return to the hard ones, because they are annoying for me. That's the reason I would really like this ability to continue where I stopped without all the restarting of level.

rlmergeuser
07-05-2008, 10:29 PM
It's not cheating.

But don't think they can add it since it means that they have to to big changes to the game, which they wont. So you just have to pratice.

rlmergeuser
07-06-2008, 10:36 AM
But don't think they can add it since it means that they have to to big changes to the game, which they wont. So you just have to pratice.

Sorry, I don't find this as a big change to game. It does not change the gameplay nor the graphics, it's just a small thing (but of course that's only my op?nion).

sebastianaalton
07-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Please post all further feature suggestions to the Trials sequel thread. Trials 2 Second Edition is now feature complete, forthcoming v1.08 path is in final testing and it's the last patch that includes completely new features to the game. After v1.08 we are only releasing new features that either fix known bugs or make the game more accessible to a wider player base (language localization, hardware compatiblity improvements and optimizations to downgrade graphics/memory requirements).

http://www.redlynxtrials.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=322

You can alternatively post your suggestions to your own threads. All these suggestions will be examined and considered for the future Trials series games. Thank you for your help! We have come long way since the original Trials 2 release (2007 december), and the game has improved considerably since.

rlmergeuser
07-06-2008, 11:09 PM
http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_sad.gif

rlmergeuser
07-07-2008, 01:59 AM
What about new tracks? will there be additional tracks after 1.08, or do they count as additional feature for the new game?

rlmergeuser
07-07-2008, 03:17 PM
I am planning to translate Trials to my language when the new patch is done. However, Slovak language does not contain an exact term for "Wheelie" for example, and some other words. I am also not going to officially translate the names of tracks and achievements, because that would confuse people. Therefore, I would really like to have one more sub-menu in the "Help" section named "Dictionary" or similar, which would only contain text as all the other Help topics. I could then write there all the descriptions of the special terms, as well as approximate translations of the track and achievement names (they would be officially in English, translated only here) and maybe some author notes.

Please, forget about my old suggestions for this game, rather try to implement this one. It is really a simple thing - adding one little mini-menu, I think.

Respect http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

sebastianaalton
07-07-2008, 07:32 PM
What about new tracks? will there be additional tracks after 1.08, or do they count as additional feature for the new game?

v1.08 and v1.09 will both contain new tracks as usual. After that we haven't discussed how to release the tracks. For our own (non-Steam) version it's easy to add more tracks (we can just copy them to our server and it automatically sends all new tracks to players). However for Steam version, we must send Valve a new updated game image every time we want to change the game content. This makes releasing new tracks a bit ackward. I am pretty sure we are going to release at least one extra (hopefully a bit larger) track pack after v1.08 and v1.09. But it of course depends how much free time we have from other projects (including the possible Trials sequel).

rlmergeuser
07-07-2008, 09:08 PM

v1.08 and v1.09 will both contain new tracks as usual. After that we haven't discussed how to release the tracks. For our own (non-Steam) version it's easy to add more tracks (we can just copy them to our server and it automatically sends all new tracks to players). However for Steam version, we must send Valve a new updated game image every time we want to change the game content. This makes releasing new tracks a bit ackward. I am pretty sure we are going to release at least one extra (hopefully a bit larger) track pack after v1.08 and v1.09. But it of course depends how much free time we have from other projects (including the possible Trials sequel). INCLUDING THE POSSIBLE TRIALS SEQUEL??? haha im sorry, its probably just me, but to me that sounded as if you guys have already started making it!!! i bet you have!! just trying to pull the wool over everybodys eyes!!! is anyone else with me on that? dont you think that sounded a bit lik 'the possible trials sequel that we have already started, but we will just make you think that we haven't!! lol

rlmergeuser
07-08-2008, 02:42 AM
For our own (non-Steam) version it's easy to add more tracks (we can just copy them to our server and it automatically sends all new tracks to players). However for Steam version, we must send Valve a new updated game image every time we want to change the game content.

I don't see why you need to send the updates to Valve. Other games seem to be able to handle extra files and content.

For example - save games. When a game wants to save the progress it has to be stored locally... Saving a new track wouldn't be any different. All you are doing is having the game store a file in the local directory, even though it isn't part of the original game image.

Audiosurf specifically has downloadable songs. These songs are downloaded from the audiosurf servers by the game and stored in a local subdirectory of the game. This is done without updating the game image. The concept is the same as downloadable tracks.

In both cases, however, it involves adding new files as opposed to modifying existing ones. If the current architecture requires all the tracks bundled into a single file then I can see why this might be a problem.

sebastianaalton
07-08-2008, 04:22 AM
I don't see why you need to send the updates to Valve. Other games seem to be able to handle extra files and content.

Audiosurf specifically has downloadable songs. These songs are downloaded from the audiosurf servers by the game and stored in a local subdirectory of the game. This is done without updating the game image. The concept is the same as downloadable tracks.

Yes, we could use our own server and our own level download mechanism. However we are using standard HTML protocol for all traffic, and on some computers behind very strong firewalls (proxy server connection), Trials 2 SE cannot connect to our server. Steam has a built in feature and server architecture to allow the game to connect though Steam servers if there is a firewall between 2 computers. So it's more reliable way to send levels to a customer. It would really suck if someone bought the game from Stream and the game could not download the full level pack including all the levels not found in the demo version. This is the main reason why all the levels are included in the Steam version directly (and Valve also recommends it).

We were thinking about using our own level download server in the Steam version as well, but decided that's it's more safe to use the Valve recommended way to distribute content in Steam system.

rlmergeuser
07-08-2008, 05:58 AM
I don't know if this has already been discussed but when I want to practice a section of a track, sometimes I get a good result and I would like to try it again but I pass the next checkpoint so I cannot come back to the checkpoint before.

It could be good to have a function like the BACKSPACE but to get back 2 checkpoints before.

My english is not that good, hope you will understand what I mean http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

rlmergeuser
07-14-2008, 10:48 PM
How about an ability to play ghost races and view replays from every gamer's profile? Next to result of every track would be a ghost and replay arrow icon showing that replay without having to search the leaderboards.

Say, isn't this somehow possible now? I've been trying, but haven't managed to find such thing in-game.

rlmergeuser
07-15-2008, 07:02 PM
It may be possible, but they are done with the game. So they will only fix bugs and some minor adjustments.

rlmergeuser
07-16-2008, 12:01 AM
Well, okay.

rlmergeuser
01-25-2009, 03:04 PM
I just tried to get the 'Speed of Jorma' achievement with 1 fault, and I did get under 18 seconds but I did not get the achievement. It doesn't say you have to do it faultless though. http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

rlmergeuser
12-13-2009, 05:29 PM
What about to bringing the Trials series also to the Playstation 3? I'd buy Trials game from PSN right away!
It doesn't need much new: Same things as Trials HD (Different bikes, level editor...) + Some new things:

More surfaces: mud, water, ice and wood and concrete should have different grip.
More camera angles: from up, riders wiew, and those what was in Trials 2 SE.
More musics and sounds: Don't you think that the bike sounds always the same? (Trials 2 SE) + more musics.
Riding outside: mountains, highways, parks, cities, forests and deserts.

These ideas are good for other Trials games too, not only for PS3.

And RedLynx, you're doing such a great job with you'r games. Keep going!

rlmergeuser
01-06-2011, 04:57 AM
Hi, would it be possible to have the lean forward or backward control to recenter itself when neither button is pressed in? I think trials hd was like that cause i played it a couple times. Like as a control option? that would make it so much easier to play the game and get thru some sticky situations the first time instead of faulting 20 times. Or maybe i just haven't found the option yet. although i am using a joy to key emulator so i could customize my controls. but still, really hope to play this game with that option.

RetiredRonin
01-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Trials HD does not recenter the rider's posture if you just let go of the control stick.

Adding that option would leave you with a pretty big split in groups, those who use leaning and skill to keep the bike balanced, and those who just quit pressing buttons.

Trials 2 SE is a much harder game (in my opinion) because the leaning influences the bikes position much faster.