PDA

View Full Version : License Verification Failed (installed new CPU) [SOLVED]

Roger_D25
04-03-2008, 02:50 AM
Hey Guys,
I'm a new Trials player and must say that its quite possibly the funnest game I've ever played! Unfortunately I've been having a major issue that I can't seem to find an answer to. Long story short I downloaded the demo a couple days ago, after playing it for a while I bought the full-version of the game. After I got my e-mail I entered the key and started playing! All was good for about 3 days. Then.....

Two days ago I went to fire the game up for a nice long gaming session but right after clicking the icon and then starting up the game I got the following message, its a small "Warning" window that pops up.

License Verification Failed
Launching Evaluation Demo
OK

So I click OK and the game starts but its just the demo and not the full-version anymore? I sent a message to the main website support but haven't heard anything back yet. Plus I figured I could just re-enter my full-version key again and all would be good but I cannot find a place to enter my key anywhere?

After searching online for answers (both here in the forum, on the main website, and just the general internet) I've decided to just download the demo again and try re-entering my key? Of course I'll uninstall my old version first but there must be an easier way? Also does anyone know why this happened in the first place? The only thing that changed in my system was that I upgraded my Intel E8400 processor to a new Q9550 processor. Its seems like after I installed the new processor this problem started up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I haven't been able to play in a couple days and I'm really missing it! Take it easy and talk to you later guys!

rlmergeuser
04-03-2008, 03:47 AM
I am not the technical support, but you should try reinstalling the game and seeing what happens. I believe the key is saved, when I had to reinstall I never entered it. If after you have reinstalled and it stops working then I can't really help you. I don't see how the processor would change anything with the licensing of the game.

Roger_D25
04-03-2008, 04:06 AM
Thanks for the tip my friend, that is exactly what I tried doing but I got the same issue again despite manually cleaning out my "Programs" directory? This led me to believe there was still some files hidden somewhere with my personal settings and key in it. Well long story short after enabled "hidden files" in my C: directory I finally found the hidden folder with my key and profile settings in it. So I just deleted it, then re-installed the game again. This time it was just like installing it for the first time, it asked or my key, I entered it and was good to go!

Of course this doesn't solve why I had this issue in the first place but at least I'm able to play now which is the important part! Plus some of the settings must be saved on Trials2 servers before my profile was still there along with my records and the like which was great!

rlmergeuser
04-03-2008, 04:24 AM
Oh nice! I was going to say its either in a hidden file or a registry value. The topic should be looked at by a developer anyway so they know that there was a problem. Glad its all fixed!

sebastianaalton
04-03-2008, 10:26 AM
Trials 2 uses the appdata folder of your Windows user account to store data files created by the application. Appdata folder is used for Vista compliancy (Vista does not allow applications to write files to program files folder after installation). Licence.dat is the file containing the license info. If you delete it you see the license dialog again, and can input your license info.

It's quite strange that the license.dat got corrupted after weeks of play. Before it stopped working, did you do something that could have affected the file, or did you install Windows again or change your CPU? The game should also ask you the license key again if there is a activation failure... We will investigate this issue.

Roger_D25
04-03-2008, 03:30 PM
First of all thanks for the quick reply in regards to my issues, it is greatly appreciated! I should also mention that I'm now up and running with no issues thanks to everyones help (including official support from Redlynx Trials Support personnel)!

I probably should have mentioned it Sebbbi but I did indeed replace my E8400 CPU with a new Q9550 CPU (from dual to quad core). It was only after replacing my CPU that my problem began. In fact when I first got the "warning message" telling me that the license verification failed I kinda thought it might have been the hardware change although I didn't read anything about that in the FAQ or General Support sections of the website.

With that said I was able to find all the folders/files you mentioned in your above post and delete them (had to enable hidden files/folders in the directory first however). After deleting those files I was able to enter my full-game version key again and I was up and running with no problems! My profile was still there along with my saved records which was great!

Last but not least this is truly one of the funnest games I've played in years so thanks for the great programing guys! Plus the game is very original, add to that my love to these types of sports you really have a winner here. I just hope more people are able to check it out!

sebastianaalton
04-03-2008, 03:44 PM
You can install Trials 2 SE up to 3 computers, and each installation is tied to a hash code calculated using your CPU identifier and Windows identifier (note: CPU and Windows identifiers are not sent to our server). If you install a new Windows or change your CPU, the hash code will no longer match. Forthcoming v1.06 will inform you to reactivate your game using your license key in this case. The curent release version did not do this unfortunately and you had to delete the license.dat manually.

All your profiles and high scores are saved to the Trials 2 server. You can access all profiles even if you delete the game or install it to a different computer.

Roger_D25
04-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Thanks again Sebbbi for your help and time. Do you know how many times I will be able to "re-activate" the game (like I had to earlier because of the hardware change)? I only ask because I frequently upgrade and replace major bits of hardware on my computer but I don't want to loose my ability to play the game because of this!

I realize the game can be installed on up to 3 different computers but I'll only install on one computer at any given time. So to summarize, how many times can I re-activate the game before having to purchase it again?

sebastianaalton
04-03-2008, 04:54 PM
I realize the game can be installed on up to 3 different computers but I'll only install on one computer at any given time. So to summarize, how many times can I re-activate the game before having to purchase it again?

If you run out of activation times, contact our support and give them your information (email registered during activation, and your licence key). Support can disable your earlier activations, allowing you to install the game again 3 times.

If you install the Trials many times to the same computer (without changing your CPU or Windows) activation times will not be used. You can change graphics cards and other components as many times as you like.

Roger_D25
04-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Great, thanks so much for your continued help and time with this! I guess we can call this one "Solved"!

rlmergeuser
05-06-2008, 08:41 PM
hi, recently ive had some problems with my pc which means ive had to format a few times and ive had to reinstall the game 4 times, however, the 4th time i got the verification failure message, if i get intouch with tech support will they beable to sort it out for me then? i really like this game and im quite gutted i cant get back on it http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_cry.gif

sebastianaalton
05-06-2008, 09:47 PM
hi, recently ive had some problems with my pc which means ive had to format a few times and ive had to reinstall the game 4 times, however, the 4th time i got the verification failure message, if i get intouch with tech support will they beable to sort it out for me then? i really like this game and im quite gutted i cant get back on it http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_cry.gif

Just contact the support, give them your license key and your license recovery email address. Support can disable your old installations, so you can install the game again 3 times to a new system.

rlmergeuser
05-06-2008, 10:39 PM
ok thank you i'll do that http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif