PDA

View Full Version : Crash on startup (restarting computer solves issue) [SOLVED]

rlmergeuser
03-30-2008, 05:24 PM
Every time I try to start the game I get the windows error report. "trials2.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close." This happened to me yesterday to. I did a System restore and that fixed the problem. Now today it is not working again. Even if I reinstall it, it still won't work. Here are my computer specs. I have a DELL XPS 600.

Nvidia 7900GTX
Pentium D 3.2
2 GB RAM

Edit: I just found another topic with my same issue but relating to the 1.04 and earlier patches. I sent the error report like you said in that topic. I don't know how to save the text file. It says it saves it in my Temporary files folder but when I go there its not there. Or if I try to run it exactly it can't find it.

sebastianaalton
03-30-2008, 05:35 PM
So the game worked properly for a few days, and then stopped working? Did you install any new software or hardware during this time or changed your hardware settings (or installed new drivers)? Have you checked that you haven't run out of hard drive space?

rlmergeuser
03-30-2008, 05:38 PM
Well when it happened yesterday I thought it was because I updated Spybot Search and Destroy. So I uninstalled it and it still didn't work. Thats when I did a system restore and that fixed the problem. Now since the system restore I still have Spybot but it does not have the newest updates like I did before. I also have 206GB of free space, so I don't think its that. But besides that I have not installed anything new.

sebastianaalton
03-30-2008, 05:55 PM
Sounds strange indeed. Please click the "Send Error Report" from the crash dialog if this happens again. This will send the error dump to Microsoft, and they will sent it to us, so we can investigate where it crashes.

rlmergeuser
03-30-2008, 05:58 PM
Well I have sent it twice so far. Every time I try and start the game it happens. I really don't want to do another system restore for it to just stop working though. You replied in that other topic that it takes awhile for you to receive the error report from Microsoft. Is there a quicker way I can get it to you?

rlmergeuser
03-30-2008, 06:20 PM
Well thats strange, I did a restart and it actually fixed it. I don't know if it will not work again later though. What could the problem be that a restart fixes it.

There is also another thing that is only a minor annoyance. When I am in the chat room while playing on a track the window flashes from blurry to sharp. This only happens when I am playing on a track. It is perfectly fine when I am just in the menu. I took two screenshots and made it into an animation so you can see what is exactly happening. This really isn't that big of a deal it just gets annoying to look at after awhile. Its very subtle but you can notice it more in game.

Edit: For some reason I can't post the link...

sebastianaalton
03-31-2008, 07:55 AM
Well I have sent it twice so far. Every time I try and start the game it happens. I really don't want to do another system restore for it to just stop working though. You replied in that other topic that it takes awhile for you to receive the error report from Microsoft. Is there a quicker way I can get it to you?

Most likely we will get it today from Microsoft, and can start investigating. If we do not get it today, Jukka will send you instructions about sending the crash dump directly to us.

When I am in the chat room while playing on a track the window flashes from blurry to sharp.

I have seen this also. The window doesn't actually get blurred, only the font edges. This is very subtle, and we didn't even notice this problem in testing.

rlmergeuser
04-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Just an update on this. My game wouldn't open again today. I also tried opening the first Trials 2 and that didn't work either. A restart of my computer fixed everything though. But both games didn't work at first.

sebastianaalton
04-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Just an update on this. My game wouldn't open again today. I also tried opening the first Trials 2 and that didn't work either. A restart of my computer fixed everything though. But both games didn't work at first.

We had a small graphics memory leak in the game. It could have caused this kind of issue. The leak is fixed on v1.06. If this problem happens again, please inform us, and I will reopen this thread. Now marking this thread as SOLVED.