PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Controller Buttons [SOLVED]

rlmergeuser
03-07-2008, 12:15 AM
Hello is there anyway the buttons for the PS3 control could be remapped so that L3 is not accelerate and select isnt brake. Thanks

rlmergeuser
03-07-2008, 12:57 AM
Hello.

There is no way you can do that in the game, but there are some work arounds.

You can try this for example:

http://www.electracode.com/4/joy2key/JoyToKey%20English%20Version.htm

Or maybe this:

ftp://ftp.saitek.com/pub/software/full/Saitek_SST_Software_32.exe
( win xp 32 bit version, go to their homepage if you want to try any other version )

I am not sure any of these will work for you, but you can try.

If you search on google you can probably find something for your controller.

Seeya in the game

rlmergeuser
03-07-2008, 03:08 AM
i used pinnacle game profiler and you can map the buttons to whatever you want!! give it a try!

sebastianaalton
03-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Most gamepads have their own button configuration tool. Windows default drivers do not have this, so you have to install the software of your pad to access this tool.

For pads that do not have a tool for adjusting control mapping, I recommend the Pinnacle Game Profiler just like LASOR.

rlmergeuser
03-08-2008, 02:35 AM
Thanks the pinnacle game profile worked great, i've used it before but didnt think it would work with the PS3 Pad.

rlmergeuser
01-06-2009, 11:48 PM
Most gamepads have their own button configuration tool. Windows default drivers do not have this, so you have to install the software of your pad to access this tool.

For pads that do not have a tool for adjusting control mapping, I recommend the Pinnacle Game Profiler just like LASOR.Hi, really like the game, got it in the Steam sale.

The lack of customisable controls is disappointing though, it's a fundamental option.

Your first solution means changing the config constantly for different games, while the second requires downloading additional software (and in the case of pinnacle; paying for a solution which will last more than 30 days) just to change the controls to what I prefer (360 pad, X + A for accel and brake instead of the triggers).

I urge the developers to add customisable controls. All games should have this option.

rlmergeuser
01-07-2009, 12:21 AM
Your first solution means changing the config constantly for different games, while the second requires downloading additional software (and in the case of pinnacle; paying for a solution which will last more than 30 days) just to change the controls to what I prefer (360 pad, X + A for accel and brake instead of the triggers)

if you're using a 360 pad use xpadder, it's free and easy to map buttons

sebastianaalton
01-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Your first solution means changing the config constantly for different games, while the second requires downloading additional software (and in the case of pinnacle; paying for a solution which will last more than 30 days) just to change the controls to what I prefer (360 pad, X + A for accel and brake instead of the triggers).

Most game pads include software that allows you to make different controlling profiles for each game.

rlmergeuser
01-08-2009, 03:41 AM
if you're using a 360 pad use xpadder, it's free and easy to map buttonsThanks, I'll have a look at that.

Most game pads include software that allows you to make different controlling profiles for each game.My 360 controller and PS2 pad adapter weren't supplied with such software.

The game should be responsible for its control config, not the hardware driver, and certainly not a third party.

rlmergeuser
01-08-2009, 04:06 AM
well u could just use the arrow keys like everyone else http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_eek.gif

rlmergeuser
01-09-2009, 01:00 AM
well u could just use the arrow keys like everyone else http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_eek.gifNot been around long but I've read enough posts here to know:

Not everyone uses the keyboard.
Not everyone wants to use the default keyboard keys.
Not everyone wants to use an analogue trigger to control a digital input.

If acceleration/brake was analogue some people would prefer to use the analogue stick instead of the analogue triggers.

It's undeniable that people have differing control preferences, so I can't understand why any game developer would omit the option to configure the most important part of their game.

rlmergeuser
01-09-2009, 01:59 AM
It's undeniable that people have differing control preferences, so I can't understand why any game developer would omit the option to configure the most important part of their game.

Here I will stick up for the devs, this game was made by a very small team, all of which appear on these forums all the time, it has been stated on the forums before that things that the player could change themselves (such as v-sync and controls) were left out of the game menus because it is much easier for the player to do it than all that be added to the in game menu

as a comparison, fallout 3 cost me ?30.00 and I have so far played it for 43 hours (includes options for controls n all that) trials 2 cost me ?5.00 been playing that for nearly 70 hours (if i had to spend ?25.00 on somebody teaching me custom controls it would be worth it)

get my point?

rlmergeuser
01-09-2009, 03:34 AM

Here I will stick up for the devs, this game was made by a very small team, all of which appear on these forums all the time, it has been stated on the forums before that things that the player could change themselves (such as v-sync and controls) were left out of the game menus because it is much easier for the player to do it than all that be added to the in game menu

as a comparison, fallout 3 cost me ?30.00 and I have so far played it for 43 hours (includes options for controls n all that) trials 2 cost me ?5.00 been playing that for nearly 70 hours (if i had to spend ?25.00 on somebody teaching me custom controls it would be worth it)

get my point?I see your point but I strongly disagree for the following reasons:

Why is being an indy developer an excuse? The time and effort needed to implement this must be next to nothing (a user editable text config file would be sufficient), and once they have the code it can be reused in all their future games.

The time it take to takes one developer to implement this pales into insignificance when you consider the amount of time it would save for 100s of players who want to config their controls in this game and future redlynx games (do other redlynx games have configurable controls?).

There's lots of free games out there made by amateurs that have control config options...a professional outfit has no excuse.

If this was a rubbish game I wouldn't be posting, everything else is great, the bike physics, the network leaderboard, the ability to view other players' ghosts so you can learn from them...but my aching wrist says:
Stop playing before you get RSI.
Keyboards aren't the way to play this type of game.
Where's the config option so I can use my controller in a way that suits me?
Why does the developer think it's a good idea to abdicate responsibility to third party software (which may or may not work reliably for its customers) when it would be easy to implement an integrated solution they have full control over, is simple, logical and elegant?

rlmergeuser
01-09-2009, 11:29 AM
I agree that it would be good to have the option to change the controls in the game.

Keyboards aren't the way to play this type of game.

I don't agree with that though.

If the controls had been analogue it would have been right, but since they aren't and they will not become so for this game atleast (search if you want to know why) you won't stand a chance playing with a stick. I have played quite a lot with my gamepad, and if you want to compete on the ladder it will be very hard to do so.

If you just want to play for fun it's excellent with a gamepad, perfect if you want to play on a large tv for example, gives a nice feel to it. http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

If you are worried about RSI get something soft to lean your hand on, and get a good elbow rest and make sure to have your arm in a good angle, I prefer 90 degrees ( at the elbow that is ). Another good idea is to switch hand now and then, I use arrow keys when playing with right hand and wasd when playing with left hand. wasd is better in the sense that you can restart with just a small movement of your finger. http://forum.redlynx.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

And take breaks!

sebastianaalton
01-09-2009, 04:10 PM
We actually have a very flexible customizable controller remapper implemented in our game engine. It can map any amount of controller inputs (keyboard, mouse, pads of various types, analog controls, touchscreens, etc) to any amount of game actions. This system has been used on all our console releases.

Warhammer Squad Command had different key mapping on PSP (dpad + analog + 2 triggers + 4 buttons), Nintendo DS (touch screen + dpad + 4 digital buttons), Windows (development platform) and Linux (development platform). Pathway to Glory also had different keyboard mapping for N-Gage, Windows (development platform) and Linux (development platform). Each developer could also configure their own keys.

However as our technology is developed mainly for gaming consoles (and handhelds), we haven't yet needed end user configurable keyboard mapping before Trials 2 (just one mapping per every supported device). The game controller support for PC was coded very quickly in 2 days, as the project schedule was very demanding. I agree that it's not polished by any means.

The biggest cause of the lacking Trials 2 controller configuration was not the technology behind the game. It was amount of time it would take to implement the user interface needed for the feature. The game menu programmer was allocated to the project only for a short time, and the gamepad support was added late to the project as an afterthough. We didn't have time to change the menus to use the controller, and to make controller configuration screens.

We didn't even think about the possiblity to add a config file instead of a full user interface to setup the buttons/keys. This was also caused by console/portable roots (no config files possible on those platforms).