PDA

View Full Version : A new players question: buy packs now or wait for patch?

Breetai_Prime
03-19-2014, 12:01 AM
Hi, I started playing yesterday and I still have no clue what's going on in this game.
My question is regarding the upcoming basic set changes. I am trying to understand what are the pros and cons of buying packs now, compared to waiting for after the patch and buying from basic set 2. I understand the current basic set won't be available anymore later. I opened about 8 packs so far. I have 62K gold and and 1.2K seals. One option I was considering is to split my investment: use all my gold now, and save the seals for the 3k champions box (or some other box) after the patch.

Any tips will be very appreciated. :D

npavcec
03-19-2014, 12:22 AM
Any tips will be very appreciated. :D

Spend all the gold you can get, save seals. That is what I would do.

gabusan
03-19-2014, 02:56 AM
Since you just started, your best option would be to invest only in the new format (base set 2), coming up soon in april. Dont buy anything now. Save your gold and seals. Once expansion is released, buy a box of the new expansion with seals. That will provide you with useful cards for base set 2 and (probably, we dont know for sure) more wild cards than buying anything else. Save those wild cards. You will need them to get rare cards you need.

As for the gold, I think the best option for this tactic is to save it for basic set (reinforcement packs) after the release of base set 2. If you buy reinforcement packs before the release of base set 2, you might get "open format only" cards that you will only be able to use in the open format. And you should really prepare for the new base set 2 format, that is where the fun will be for you. It will be a long time before you can compete in open format, and most people like you will be playing in base set 2 format.

Once you have enough cards from basic set, and since the new expansion wont be available for gold for a long time, you can start spending gold in expansions. You will get some "open format only" cards with these expansions, but that is an unfortunate event you will have to put up with, because saving too much gold is not fun. You will need your fix of new cards.

dobwen60
03-19-2014, 03:51 PM
It's all a matter of patience and playability. If you're not having fun with your current deck and simply can't win (could be the difference between starting with Inferno vs. Haven) it's going to make more sense to spend some gold/seals now so you can at least enjoy playing. However, if you're fine with your current deck and can wait until next month to really start expanding your collection, I'd suggest that. Save as much as possible, and spend gold on BS2 packs, and seals on the new expansion. When you're new, you get a lot more bonus seals/gold without leveling than after the first 10-20 levels, and it's meant to help you acquire a decent base of cards initially. If you spend a lot of that now, many of your good cards may not be valid in the new format, but if you wait, then you maximize your potential to field a competitive deck in Standard (BS2 format). Having that competitive deck earlier will allow you to level quicker, unlock more achievements, and in time help you expand both your Standard and Open format collections much more easily.

If you can't wait and feel the need to spend, I'd only spend gold, not seals unless they start offering a ridiculously good deal (like 3 boxes fo 2000 seals or such) and even then I'd save at least half my gold for the BS2 packs next month.

guest-31Z3gRNd
03-21-2014, 04:39 AM
You didn't say what type of deck you started out with. If you haven't picked one yet go Necropolis.

You almost have enough gold to buy the Severed Fates deck which will give you a good Necro hero and some great cards. If you also have the Necro starting deck this will allow you to do some winning now (should get you up to 500 ELO easy enough) AND give you some great cards for after the BS2 patch since Necro looks like it will be doing well. Many of the cards in that pack will be good for BS2 play. Between my necro starting deck and the Severed Fates deck I purchased early on I am sitting at around 800 ELO and could easily go to 1001 if I put some effort into it - I prefer not to play at that level yet though as it starts getting pretty rough about that level. Post BS2 launch I will go for it.

I am saving ALL my gold and seals at this point.

Definitely save your seals and any wild cards you have gotten. Don't spend wild cards until you really understand what you are doing - and then double check here in the forums just to make sure.

gabusan
03-29-2014, 01:24 PM
After recent news, buy with your gold these packs while they still give wild cards!