PDA

View Full Version : All troops lost after game save in mission 6 Witchblade??

XyZspineZyX
12-01-2003, 11:23 AM
I've been having quite a few problems. The first is that the game will only load graphics properly if left to the default resolution of 800x600x16; if you change this, quit out of the game and restart there are screen artifacts and issues all over the screen. I have to first load the game and reset to default options, then quit, then reload the save game and change settings from the in mission menu.
The second problem is only recent. I'm halfway through mission 6, I save the game - when I come back to it and load the saved game, I get a message stating all troops have been lost, and I get booted back out to the desktop!! It doesn't even boot me out to the ingame menu, it just kicks me out completely. Looking forward to your assistance.

XyZspineZyX
12-01-2003, 11:23 AM
I've been having quite a few problems. The first is that the game will only load graphics properly if left to the default resolution of 800x600x16; if you change this, quit out of the game and restart there are screen artifacts and issues all over the screen. I have to first load the game and reset to default options, then quit, then reload the save game and change settings from the in mission menu.
The second problem is only recent. I'm halfway through mission 6, I save the game - when I come back to it and load the saved game, I get a message stating all troops have been lost, and I get booted back out to the desktop!! It doesn't even boot me out to the ingame menu, it just kicks me out completely. Looking forward to your assistance.

XyZspineZyX
12-01-2003, 11:49 AM
You may have to uninstall and re-install the game. The "All troops lost after game save" sounds mysterious.

As to the graphic problems:

1) make sure that the resolution of the game is not set higher than the resolution of your desktop. If you wanna play with e.g. 1024 x 768 x 16, then set the desktop resolution at this as well.

2) it can be a driver or directX item. What kind of graphics cards do you have and which driver do you use for it? Also: which DirectX version you got?

http://home20.inet.tele.dk/famjourdan/GRsig.jpg

XyZspineZyX
12-01-2003, 11:57 AM
Thanks -
1) The game resolution mirrors that of the desktop - 1280x1024x32.

2) I'm running a gigacube radeon 9600 pro. The driver is version 6.14.0010.6387. DX version is 9.0a.

XyZspineZyX
12-01-2003, 12:14 PM
That's recent driver, you got.
There have been some probs with ATI's 3.7 driver. Said to be fixed with the 3.8, yet the 3.9 was released shortly after.

My suggestions is to give it a try with the 3.6 or use the Omega driver from http://www.omegacorner.com I use those for my Radeon 9500 Pro card.

You find the different versions here:

http://www.driverheaven.net/downloads/index4.htm

Small thing: you wouldn't have any mods activated that could mess up?

Edit: Try resolution at 16 bit instead of 32. Depending on your processor, yes even the power supply unit, 16 bit can improve performance. If you have a powerful system it shouldn't make any difference though.

Message Edited on 12/01/0311:20AM by GreyHaired

XyZspineZyX
12-03-2003, 09:12 AM
Thanks for that - I have a pretty powerful system though, so I don't think 16 bit will make much of a difference though. I'm wondering if perhaps the install of the game is a little corrupted. Perhaps I should uninstall and clean install, but I don't want to lose the saved games. Do you think the driver could have anything to do with the save glitch on mission 6?? Hasn't caused problems on any other mission though.

XyZspineZyX
12-03-2003, 09:59 AM
No, don't think the driver is the cause for the glitch in M06 but they can explain the inital probs you mentioned in first post.

Saved games: I believe you can copy that folder to a temp folder and then copy back to the new installed saved games folder. Let me double-check that and revert. you will then, however, certainly save the glitch in M06. An idea to restart that mission?

Uninstalling the game: If the "add/remove programs" doesn't fully uninstall the game (you will notice that when you start the re-install) you can check the green-font thread called "Problems? Look here first!" There's a link called "Problems uninstalling GR?" that gives a walkthrough as to how to clean the system for GR leftovers.

Uninstalling the ATI drivers: this is a good guide as it on top of the uninstall procedure gives some insight of what's behind it all:

http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide&dId=569

Suggest you give the Catalyst 3.6 a try, either the ATI- or the Omega version.

EDIT: Re save game: One of my buddies sent me this:

"""start/all programs/ accessories/window explorer/c:drive/programs file/red storm entertainment/ghost recon

1- Save folder inside data is used for saving your
keys for the game that you have set up.

2- Go into your mods folder, and take out the save
folder from MP1, MP2, and Origmiss.

3- Once you reinstall, just put these back in their
respective folders(overwriting the new ones) and
you'll be set.

Also copy all the files with the .xml extension and the missionstats.htm on the ghost recon folder.

If after restoring the saved folders/files, ghost recon don't work as expected (this can happen if you change the hardware after the backup), delete the options.xml in the ghost recon folder. Then start the game, go to the options and re-configure as needed

GR saved games after reinstall

If you backed up to CD after restore you have to access the properties of the files you had backed up and uncheck the read only option."""

Message Edited on 12/03/0310:31AM by GreyHaired

XyZspineZyX
12-03-2003, 12:17 PM
I'll wait for your post re saved games. I have actually restarted the mission before - but as soon as you save and reload, all soldiers have been lost and I get booted. Re the graphics problems - just installed catalyst 3.9 - seems to reload the game fine without having any artifacts/glitches. I don't have to first reset to default settings etc. However, same thing if you quit from a mission to the main menu - artifacts everywhere. Really irritates me that you can't even get tech support from Ubi without having to pay through the nose for a phone call!!

XyZspineZyX
12-03-2003, 01:18 PM
Saved games: See the "Edit" in my previous post.

I'm bound to believe that the artifacts are related to the graphics/graphics driver even though the 3.9 seem to work fine for you, and I would still give it a try with the Catalyst 3.6. If that doesn't help, a re-install of the game.

XyZspineZyX
12-05-2003, 11:31 PM
I'm in the process of following your save instructions now. However, there is only a save folder in origmiss - not in MP1 or MP2. Does that matter??

XyZspineZyX
12-06-2003, 01:54 AM
There should be a "save" folder in both mp1 and mp2 folders.
On the other hand: if I read your post correctly, you have only played the original GR sofar and don't have any saved games in DS and/or IT yet.
If that's the case, it doesn't make any difference.

XyZspineZyX
12-07-2003, 12:22 AM
Thanks - have reinstalled with the save just fine. Also, I did start to have trouble with the 3.9 driver. So, followed your advice, downloaded the 3.6 catalyst for win XP. Only problem - upon install, I got a "Severe" warning - the display driver trying to install is not compatible with your display adapter. I run a 9600 pro - did I choose an incorrect setting?? Or am I destined to forever have problems with the game??

XyZspineZyX
12-07-2003, 12:43 AM
Nope, you won't have probs for the rest of the time with this game. It's definitely a software issue. The 3.6 must be compatible with your display adapter.**
I think you know what you're doing when it comes to PC's so take it you fully removed the old drivers and control panel. If the problems persists, suggest you try the 3.6 version from "Omega" they work for all versions of Radeon cards.

**Edit: For order's sake: the order of uninstall is: a) ATI control panel, b) ATI drivers. Then install the 3.6 driver plus the control panel that follows with the 3.6 driver version.

Message Edited on 12/06/0311:53PM by GreyHaired