PDA

View Full Version : Modern Storyline for AC5: what major plot points

Radman500
02-26-2014, 05:20 AM
of the modern storyline do you want to see expanded upon in Assassins Creed V?

pirate1802
02-26-2014, 05:43 AM
Want to see: Sage stuff, Erudito, William Miles

Definitely DONT want to see: Desmond coming back.

LoyalACFan
02-26-2014, 05:50 AM
Consus. All else is irrelevant.

Radman500
02-26-2014, 06:06 AM

who is consus?

ACLexter
02-26-2014, 06:08 AM
Want to see: Sage stuff, Erudito, William Miles

Definitely DONT want to see: Desmond coming back.

I actually want to see Desmond back, I have a feeling he will some other time,

let say he didn't actually die. that's the twist.

pirate1802
02-26-2014, 06:15 AM
Then I'll be there with my rotten swordfish..

LoyalACFan
02-26-2014, 06:44 AM
who is consus?

In Project Legacy, they did a whole story arc on Giovanni Borgia, his imaginary friend Consus, and his exposure to all sorts of POE's during his life in Europe and travels to Mexico. Then, out of the blue, he collapsed, and spoke in a voice that wasn't his own; "BEHOLD, I AM CONSUS, THE ERUDITE GOD."

And we haven't seen the bastard since.

Look up Giovanni Borgia on the AC wiki, it'll piss you off as well that we've been left hanging on this for four ****ing years...

DaBird-Is-DaWord
02-26-2014, 07:43 AM
I've wanted to see Desmond return since AC3. I've always felt like it would happen somehow, if not in AC4 then AC5. But now it seems they're truly done with him as a character. Though I don't like the way they killed him off, I can respect if they want to commit to their decision. He's already come back from the brink once (ie; Revelations), if you do that again then it might feel cheap. The question is whether we'll control any real characters in the modern day storyline in future games. For all we know they might just go with the whole first-person thing they've got going in AC4. It would be interesting to see them refocus on the modern storyline with a different cast of characters though, perhaps partially comprised of characters from the previous titles. Ubisoft said before when AC3 came out that they were leaving Desmond behind because they want newcomers to the franchise to understand the story without having had to play the previous 5 or 6 games. AC4 does that well by just throwing you into the animus and minimizing the length and importance of the out-of-animus sequences. But they can do the same thing by introducing us to new characters who inherit the mission to stop Abstergo, or at this juncture the evil Goddess lady (forgot her name) who took over the planet at the end of AC3. You don't need to know every detail about Desmond's adventures to get back to that aspect of the series' overarching storyline. It seems from playing Liberations and AC4 that people still have free will. If evil Goddess lady hasn't totally taken control of the world yet then there may still be a few ragtag Assassins out there fighting to save the world. What do you think Desmond's father and co. did after Desmond died? If they haven't been annihilated or brainwashed by the evil Goddess lady then they must be doing everything they can to make sure Desmond's sacrifice wasn't in vain...

Anyone think we'll see a new cast of characters and play in the 3rd person in out-of-animus sequences in the future or will we see more games that minimize that aspect and put you in the first-person view again?

Moultonborough
02-26-2014, 09:50 AM
The "Goddess" who we saw in AC4 as well as AC:B and AC3 is called Juno. She can't "take over the world"....well at least yet. In AC4 Jon wanted her to possess our bodies. Which of course didn't work she's still just an A.I. Anyway, I would like the modern story to expand back to what it was, at least a little bit. I liked FP in Desmond's Journey but I was a bit disappointed by a full game with it. Hopefully they will move away from it again. Modern story is what ties everything together and seemed pointless which I know a lot of people liked but I never really got it. I hope it works out in ACV instead of being just a camera and nameless. Only time will tell if they make the story more tied to why we are going back into a Animus.:confused:

AdultShotaro
02-26-2014, 11:22 AM
I wanna see the Onmoraki-Gumi! :D

rob.davies2014
02-26-2014, 11:27 AM

If the game is set in Victorian London then we'll probably see the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn and Woodman used to think about Giovanni a lot and mix up his memories with those of Giovanni's so there is a chance there'll be some Consus in AC5. Fingers crossed!

Farlander1991
02-26-2014, 11:30 AM
In Project Legacy, they did a whole story arc on Giovanni Borgia, his imaginary friend Consus, and his exposure to all sorts of POE's during his life in Europe and travels to Mexico. Then, out of the blue, he collapsed, and spoke in a voice that wasn't his own; "BEHOLD, I AM CONSUS, THE ERUDITE GOD."

And we haven't seen the bastard since.

Look up Giovanni Borgia on the AC wiki, it'll piss you off as well that we've been left hanging on this for four ****ing years...

Were there many interesting storylines in Project Legacy? The gameplay was boring to me so I never got far.

(Btw, since Project Legacy is removed, I understand that it's impossible to get Florentine and Venetian capes in ACB from now on since you can't synch your account with Project Legacy? This seems kinda ********, tbh... Or can you do that? Like, what's going on with the content that's unlocked by synching with Legacy?)

GunnerGalactico
02-26-2014, 12:01 PM
Before Desmond sacrificed himself to save humanity, I initially thought he was going to acquire skills so that he fight against Abstergo.. modern day Assassins vs modern day Templars. When he died, that shot down my theory.

The modern day setting sounds okay, but I am two-minded about this. With Desmond dead, I doubt that William, Shaun and Rebecca are going to do anything. You would need another modern day protagonist, someone who does not have any ties with any of the Miles. This is just an idea, in the AC universe we always see Assassins switching sides to join the Templars. What if someone from Abstergo betrays them and joins forces with the Assassins... to me that sounds plausible.

# What I stated above falls under: Modern Storyline for AC5, and not Victorian London-Hermetic Order-Frater-Giovanni-Consus.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

ze_topazio
02-26-2014, 01:09 PM
Cyborg Desmond and the clones of Ezio and Altair that the order is creating.

RinoTheBouncer
02-26-2014, 04:06 PM
What I really wanna see: Consus, Erudito, Eve, The Sword of Eden, The Shroud of Eden, Sumerian or Ancient Egyptian setting, The First Civilization, Present Day missions.

What I really hate to see: Abstergo Entertainment, ďMeĒ as the protagonist, a historical GTA kinda game, Juno deleted from severs before being able to control the world.

I really donít wanna see them kill Juno by ďdeletingĒ her. I want her to get out and control the world, make changes. Letís separate this reality from the gamesí reality. Lets have something new. Maybe her world dominion plot isnít like comic book tyrants but lets have her control some regions and thatís where modern day assassins really try to make a difference using their immunity to her mind control. They can use the animus to see Eve or perhaps use The Eye that Minerva built to see the possibilities and consequences of their actions and efforts to kill Juno. Perhaps Juno will have a palace or pyramid similar to that of The Tyranny of King Washington.

Iíd love to see that stuff. I really donít want them to put ďmeĒ as the protagonist. I am the gamer, Iím not fit to be part of the game unless Iím rendered in 3D and put in the game. In AC4, I didnít see myself exploring Abstergo Entertainment, I saw a voiceless floating camera. So the developers failed big time in making me feel like Iím in the game. I felt more in the game when Desmond was playing than I was when I was told to think that this is me.

Radman500
02-27-2014, 05:14 AM
will juno try to escape into real world

Moultonborough
02-27-2014, 06:15 AM
will juno try to escape into real world

That is what happened in the Server Room during AC4. It is what John/ Ailta/Sage wanted to happen. As Juno says though she is not yet strong enough currently so his plan failed. At the end of the game Ailta try's to give us a shot to weaken our body so they can try again before he's killed. Personally, I do think it is what will happen. Now that Desmond saved the Solar Flare issue Juno is the next. And really if you think about it she always had been, just in the shadows though. Now Juno is front and center as the Enemy and thing to stop.

shobhit7777777
02-27-2014, 06:24 AM
I wish they drop the modern day stuff entirely.....it is an annoying, distraction. I also wish the Precursor/TWCB nonsense also dies off and the focus is on more human stories. Mediocrity needs to be dropped from the franchise.

Moultonborough
02-27-2014, 06:34 AM
I wish they drop the modern day stuff entirely.....it is an annoying, distraction. I also wish the Precursor/TWCB nonsense also dies off and the focus is on more human stories. Mediocrity needs to be dropped from the franchise.

Whether people like it or not the modern story is what holds it together. There really would be no point to the series if it was gone. No matter if it is well done or not.

shobhit7777777
02-27-2014, 07:10 AM
Whether people like it or not the modern story is what holds it together. There really would be no point to the series if it was gone. No matter if it is well done or not.

I fear you have it arse-backwards my friend

AC's major USP is running around in cool historical settings....its the modern day plot which feels pointless. Time and again I get irritated when my play session is interrupted for the sake of boring non-main plot related (i.e. Historical plot) B-grade conspiracy theory BS written by This guy :

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m97z6aLRpZ1r4sd0zo1_1280.jpg

Altair's tale of an arrogant D-bag maturing into a wise badass was again marred by the modern day BS with ****ing Desmond
Ezio's story of personal revenge was spoiled by the inane, mediocre modern day BS
Connor's tale - which by the way was a beautiful one IMO and in retrospect -was again ****ed over by modern day BS that kept reminding us of the horrible AC plot
Edward's story could've been more compelling but the game kept yanking you into a seriously boneheaded plot which was tied to the modern day BS

So thank you very much.....my tolerance of BS has been exhausted.

AC's stories...the historical ones can be very compelling and engaging - They are personal, human stories that interest me. They revolve around characters I like and care about...the modern day is a poorly executed POS that distracts me from the meat of the MAIN plot.

Piece of Eden....Piece of Epic Boredom more like

P.S

Can we get rid of the image verification nonsense? Its about as effective at stopping spam as the anti-Kaiju walls were at halting Kaijus

LoyalACFan
02-27-2014, 07:27 AM
Edward's story could've been more compelling but the game kept yanking you into a seriously boneheaded plot which was tied to the modern day BS

I have to admit, I agree with this one. The POE stuff was minimal enough in AC1, AC2, and AC3 that it didn't significantly detract from the story IMO, but AC4 tried a little too hard to make us care about the Observatory. Every time Edward mentioned it I was like "Oh yeah... that thing."

Moultonborough
02-27-2014, 08:13 AM

AC's major USP is running around in cool historical settings....its the modern day plot which feels pointless. Time and again I get irritated when my play session is interrupted for the sake of boring non-main plot related (i.e. Historical plot) B-grade conspiracy theory BS written by This guy :

Altair's tale of an arrogant D-bag maturing into a wise badass was again marred by the modern day BS with ****ing Desmond
Ezio's story of personal revenge was spoiled by the inane, mediocre modern day BS
Connor's tale - which by the way was a beautiful one IMO and in retrospect -was again ****ed over by modern day BS that kept reminding us of the horrible AC plot

AC's stories...the historical ones can be very compelling and engaging - They are personal, human stories that interest me. They revolve around characters I like and care about...the modern day is a poorly executed POS that distracts me from the meat of the MAIN plot.

P.S

Can we get rid of the image verification nonsense? Its about as effective at stopping spam as the anti-Kaiju walls were at halting Kaijus

Ugh. I just went through this on a news article. That's just my opinion nothing more nothing less. If you don't think it's relevant that's perfectly fine. You don't like it that's fine, no one is stopping you on believing that. People liked Altair I thought he was just a ******* character in my opinion who I couldn't relate to. Ezio's story with it being more "modern" and more personal with his situation is better to believe. Altair was just a cold empty shell with a bad attitude.

Connor had just as much a TWCB story driven game. It was Juno's words that made him become a Assassin in the first place and in turn go after the Templars. There was not much of a difference between him and Altair and Ezio.

Ezio was driven for the most part of ACII unknowingly by the Apple and Staff plus revenge of course. Desmond was also after the Apple specifically Ezio's.In order to save the world finishing Ezio's/Minerva's actions. All info gained by playing the games played important parts within the Modern Story. Even Altair finding the Apple and seeing the map which led to the Modern Day Templars to act on the info gained from him through Desmond.

For me it holds everything together in my own thoughts. It doesn't need to be a all around opinion just my own. No one needs to be called names for stating what they think whether others agree with them or not. Just my two cents.

Dome500
02-27-2014, 02:39 PM
Well, my opinion is up until ACR (So in AC1, AC2 and ACB) the modern day stuff was absolutely okay. We weren't bothered much with it, but we were interrupted once in a while. It made sense, Desmond had to recover and the discussions were interesting, as was the one-and-only Moder-day scene in ACII. Then in ACB it finally seemed like we got more time with Desmond, but most of it was still OPTIONAL, which I found a cool concept.

WIth ACR + AC3 then everything went downhill.

In ACR we were just screwing around in our own head with those boring "Desmond tells his story" puzzles and in AC3 we got 2 or 3 REALLY cool mission which were IMPO not enough and didn't give the Desmond storyline justice. He would have deserved his own game. Or at least a game where he personally visits one of the Assassins memories he already visited and therefore it was "okay" to slit up the time between the Ancestor and him half-half (maybe even with Desmond being in the same place in modern day as the Ancestor was in the memories).

AC4 was just bulls***. Bad Fan-service id you want. The idea of having a modern-day story where you are first person, can hack emails, are part of the universe is great, especially regarding the potential for HINTS which Ubisoft could place everywhere about their future plans, about the ideas spinning around in their head, etc.
Hell, they could even make polls about "how did you like this modern day idea in that email?" or find a way to get that feedback when the player accessed the email with that idea or something similar. It could have been our information feed as to where the series is going. But all it ended up to be was a boring hacking first-person part with some little inside jokes and 1 or 2 COMPLETELY MADE UP "possible time periods" in an attempt to troll the fans....

That's my opinion.

prince162010
02-27-2014, 03:23 PM
definitely yes, the storyline should focuses seriously on modern day and i'm looking forward about it in AC5 also hoping for desmod to come back again

Fatal-Feit
02-27-2014, 04:02 PM
definitely yes, the storyline should focuses seriously on modern day and i'm looking forward about it in AC5 also hoping for desmod to come back again

Very unlikely. And for good reasons.

oliacr
02-27-2014, 04:32 PM
I think not. AC doesn't need more modern day.

O-Rei-do-Frango
02-27-2014, 06:30 PM

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m97z6aLRpZ1r4sd0zo1_1280.jpg

P.S

I agree 100% with this man.

The AC series could be so much better if it didn't have all the modern day, conspiracy theory, First Civilization, Templars, Assassins, animus meta-story crap.

Purely historical, independent and self-contained stories with each game would be the way to go, in my opinion. That's what AC is all about: visiting different places in different historical periods and just have fun playing in beautifully recreated places of the past. No need to try to make things "more interesting" by adding all of that conspiracy theory crap. All it does is ruining what would could otherwise be great stories.
AC 2's story was great right until they started to focus on the whole POE, Templar conspiracy crap. What began as a great story in Renaissance Italy ended with a fight against a "Gandalf-style" magical staff-wielding Pope Alexander IV underneath St. Peter's Basilica inside what seemed like some sort of spaceship...
History itself has all the great characters and stories you'd ever need.

You don't need the meta-story to "hold it all together". Why would you want to hold it all together in the first place? Why do we have to play as a modern-day person who is playing as a person in the past? Just give me great adventures all over the world and in all sorts of different historical periods. Why do they have to be related to each other through some crappy conspiracy theory plot? Besides, if each game had an independent plot, the writers would have much more creative freedom.

Dome500
02-27-2014, 08:12 PM
The AC series could be so much better if it didn't have all the modern day, conspiracy theory, First Civilization, Templars, Assassins, animus meta-story crap.

So basically you want a game about history.

That is not what AC is about. At least not all what it is about.

Look, I understand and respect your point, but people have to realize that there is a big group of Assassins Creed fans which thoroughly enjoy or at least did (up until a certain point) enjoy the modern day storyline, the Templar/Assassin plot (clash of philosophies) and the first civilization mystery,

I personally enjoyed the modern day storyline until ACB/R, the first civilization while it was still more a mystery (until the end of AC3) and the Templar/Assassins plot actually I still enjoy.

ACR was a letdown for me in terms of modern day storyline.
AC3 ending was kind of a let down for me in terms of modern day storyline and the first civilization, because we got no conclusive answers and those we got were kind of bad from a narrative POV (my personal opinion).

I don't want a boring series which is JUST about history. I can read my history books for that and would enjoy them all the same (I really do, I like history).

Fatal-Feit
02-27-2014, 09:06 PM
I agree 100% with this man.

Purely historical, independent and self-contained stories with each game would be the way to go, in my opinion. That's what AC is all about: visiting different places in different historical periods and just have fun playing in beautifully recreated places of the past. No need to try to make things "more interesting" by adding all of that conspiracy theory crap. All it does is ruining what would could otherwise be great stories.
AC 2's story was great right until they started to focus on the whole POE, Templar conspiracy crap. What began as a great story in Renaissance Italy ended with a fight against a "Gandalf-style" magical staff-wielding Pope Alexander IV underneath St. Peter's Basilica inside what seemed like some sort of spaceship...
History itself has all the great characters and stories you'd ever need.

You don't need the meta-story to "hold it all together". Why would you want to hold it all together in the first place? Why do we have to play as a modern-day person who is playing as a person in the past? Just give me great adventures all over the world and in all sorts of different historical periods. Why do they have to be related to each other through some crappy conspiracy theory plot? Besides, if each game had an independent plot, the writers would have much more creative freedom.

In addition to what Dome said, Assassin's Creed wasn't created to tackle historical events for the most part. It was originally a sci-fi trilogy that happened to drastically change over time(which IMO, was a good thing). However, considering the future of the franchise, I can sympathise with your POV.

O-Rei-do-Frango
02-27-2014, 10:13 PM
So basically you want a game about history.

That is not what AC is about. At least not all what it is about.

Look, I understand and respect your point, but people have to realize that there is a big group of Assassins Creed fans which thoroughly enjoy or at least did (up until a certain point) enjoy the modern day storyline, the Templar/Assassin plot (clash of philosophies) and the first civilization mystery,

I personally enjoyed the modern day storyline until ACB/R, the first civilization while it was still more a mystery (until the end of AC3) and the Templar/Assassins plot actually I still enjoy.

ACR was a letdown for me in terms of modern day storyline.
AC3 ending was kind of a let down for me in terms of modern day storyline and the first civilization, because we got no conclusive answers and those we got were kind of bad from a narrative POV (my personal opinion).

I don't want a boring series which is JUST about history. I can read my history books for that and would enjoy them all the same (I really do, I like history).

Well, you see, I don't exactly want a game ALL about historical facts. I'm all for fictional characters with fictional stories amidst an historical background. If the main character's story can, at points, meet with actual historical events and characters, even better (but just the historical background is enough, really. Major historicals events aren't mandatory). Basically, I want something like War and Peace: the fictional and the historical are together in harmony. Another great example of that would be HBO's series "Rome", or even the very recent TV series "Black Sails", which is what AC 4 should've been, by the way.
So it's quite different from reading a History book (which I do love, as well). I don't even mind if the developers take some liberties and change some small historical facts or fill some gaps, which are quite common in History. As long as they don't make major changes or come up with ridiculous theories, I'm fine with it.
Also, reading a book is also very different from playing an open-world videogame. My favourite thing about AC is being able to immerse myself in its beautifully recreated places from the past. It's the closest thing we have from a time machine, I guess. And that's what makes AC different from other games.
I just feel like trying to shoehorn the whole sci-fi stuff into every single AC game only hurts the franchise. The fact that I dislike sci-fi certainly doesn't help, but while I accept that many people love sci-fi, those people can have it in countless other games.

I realize that the whole modern day, meta-story stuff has always been an integral part of AC, so I know it won't go away, though I wish it did. It's certainly not the most important thing in the series, though. After all, the modern day is just about 5% of each game. The developers themselves have said more than once that the focus is the historical stuff and that the modern day part is only there to give some overall context. The thing is, I think it's pointless and only detracts from what truly matters. I hate being interrupted from my adventure every now and then, so that I must go around looking at emails and stuff.

I respect the fact that there are many fans who do like the modern day stuff (though I believe they're a minority). To each, his own. :-)

Still, I dare anyone of those who enjoy that stuff to say that AC 2's final boss fight against "wizard" Pope Alexander IV in a spaceship in the Vatican isn't one of the most ridiculous things they've ever seen... LOL.

Farlander1991
02-27-2014, 10:24 PM
In addition to what Dome said, Assassin's Creed wasn't created to tackle historical events for the most part. It was originally a sci-fi trilogy that happened to drastically change over time(which IMO, was a good thing). However, considering the future of the franchise, I can sympathise with your POV.

It started out as a Prince of Persia spin-off, not sure how that makes it originally a sci-fi trilogy?

Dome500
02-27-2014, 10:39 PM
Well, you see, I don't exactly want a game ALL about historical facts. I'm all for fictional characters with fictional stories amidst an historical background. If the main character's story can, at points, meet with actual historical events and characters, even better (but just the historical background is enough, really. Major historicals events aren't mandatory). Basically, I want something like War and Peace: the fictional and the historical are together in harmony. Another great example of that would be HBO's series "Rome", or even the very recent TV series "Black Sails", which is what AC 4 should've been, by the way.
So it's quite different from reading a History book (which I do love, as well). I don't even mind if the developers take some liberties and change some small historical facts or fill some gaps, which are quite common in History. As long as they don't make major changes or come up with ridiculous theories, I'm fine with it.
Also, reading a book is also very different from playing an open-world videogame. My favourite thing about AC is being able to immerse myself in its beautifully recreated places from the past. It's the closest thing we have from a time machine, I guess. And that's what makes AC different from other games.
I just feel like trying to shoehorn the whole sci-fi stuff into every single AC game only hurts the franchise. The fact that I dislike sci-fi certainly doesn't help, but while I accept that many people love sci-fi, those people can have it in countless other games.

I realize that the whole modern day, meta-story stuff has always been an integral part of AC, so I know it won't go away, though I wish it did. It's certainly not the most important thing in the series, though. After all, the modern day is just about 5% of each game. The developers themselves have said more than once that the focus is the historical stuff and that the modern day part is only there to give some overall context. The thing is, I think it's pointless and only detracts from what truly matters. I hate being interrupted from my adventure every now and then, so that I must go around looking at emails and stuff.

I respect the fact that there are many fans who do like the modern day stuff (though I believe they're a minority). To each, his own. :-)

Still, I dare anyone of those who enjoy that stuff to say that AC 2's final boss fight against "wizard" Pope Alexander IV in a spaceship in the Vatican isn't one of the most ridiculous things they've ever seen... LOL.

Sure, but I think that was kind of the point.
Borgia was all like "this is god behind there, I will posses his power" and you as player are all like "Suuuuure...."
And then in the end - and I think that is kind of the lesson here - it's all just advanced technology like everyone expected.

"Every technology which is advanced enough to be incomprehensible for a human being can not be be distinguished from magic".
Something like this.

And I think in a way the series kind of establishes two opposing points here.

1. The history, what happened in the past AND
2. The future, what technological future is possible

It tells a story about a race who (probably) created humans or found a way to control them, using them (as an inferior species) as tools.

Slowly but steady you get to know more and more about what happened eons ago with this first civilization.
It's also some kind of history.
Events that happened from which we could learn not to make the same mistakes.
And in this time also there were the equivalent of Templars and Assassins.
2 opposing sides which want the same thing but use different methods, moral codes and philosophies to achieve (or try to achieve) it.

It's kind of metaphorical, showing that this is a natural thing. That despite equal goals human beings or individuals in general often use different methods and believe in different things, so stubbornly that they fight wars each other over it and maybe even doom their own species. Despite having the same goal.

It has a lot of other sub-messages as well. But I take the modern day story always with a grain of salt and sci-fi in mind. It's a parable on the human nature and partially on the modern day era we are living in at the moment.

The only question here is - do they manage to continue it in a meaningful way - or do they sacrifice the very soul of their genius idea/concept because they want to go on milking the cash cow and ceased to care some time ago?

Signs are bad at the moment in AC4 regarding modern day, but impression can be wrong and things can change with a new game.

I think within the next 2 games I will get my answer....

Radman500
02-28-2014, 01:38 AM
do you guys honestly think ubisoft is just going to drop the modern day storyline...after they been building it up for 6 games already (talking main console games)

LoyalACFan
02-28-2014, 01:41 AM
do you guys honestly think ubisoft is just going to drop the modern day storyline...after they been building it up for 6 games already (talking main console games)

I wouldn't say they've been "building it up..." Rather, "dragging it out." They aren't going to drop it, but it appears to be becoming increasingly irrelevant.

Radman500
02-28-2014, 01:42 AM
I wouldn't say they've been "building it up..." Rather, "dragging it out." They aren't going to drop it, but it appears to be becoming increasingly irrelevant.

i have to disagree... AC4 pushed the modern story, imo, more so then AC3...

we know Juno is trying to get out.. her "second coming"..

Ubisoft wont drop the modern story

Fatal-Feit
02-28-2014, 07:54 AM
It started out as a Prince of Persia spin-off, not sure how that makes it originally a sci-fi trilogy?

Because the results had an ample amount of sci-fi elements with sci-fi plot lines? I mean-- it's still a sci-fi franchise, but with less... aliens now.

Farlander1991
02-28-2014, 09:23 AM
Because the results had an ample amount of sci-fi elements with sci-fi plot lines? I mean-- it's still a sci-fi franchise, but with less... aliens now.

Sure. But that doesn't mean that AC "wasn't created to tackle historical events for the most part. " as you put it. It evolved from a semi-historical/mythological spin-off title into a historical one. The sci-fi elements came to existence so you could visit every historical era while still having an overarching plotline and connection between installments, that's pretty much the definition of being created to tackle historical events for the most part.

Fatal-Feit
02-28-2014, 09:40 AM
Sure. But that doesn't mean that AC "wasn't created to tackle historical events for the most part. " as you put it. It evolved from a semi-historical/mythological spin-off title into a historical one. The sci-fi elements came to existence so you could visit every historical era while still having an overarching plotline and connection between installments, that's pretty much the definition of being created to tackle historical events for the most part.

By my quote, I mean it's not the original main focus for the Trilogy. The settings are one thing, but the major events in history weren't the focus. Take a look at AC:1 for example. You weren't all over the region tackling all sorts of historical battles and events like in AC:3. The main focus was between the apposing armies, their philosophies, and emphasis on the mysterious Apple of Eden. AC:2 followed a similar concept except with more sci-fi, and regarding the historical DLCs, we all are well aware of the already co-existing problems during production from then on.

Farlander1991
02-28-2014, 10:18 AM
By my quote, I mean it's not the original main focus for the Trilogy. The settings are one thing, but the major events in history weren't the focus. Take a look at AC:1 for example. You weren't all over the region tackling all sorts of historical battles and events like in AC:3. The main focus was between the apposing armies, their philosophies, and emphasis on the mysterious Apple of Eden. AC:2 followed a similar concept except with more sci-fi, and regarding the historical DLCs, we all are well aware of the already co-existing problems during production from then on.

I can see your point, though don't really agree about AC2 in that respect. In AC2 you're still (even without Battle of Forli and Bonfire of the Vanities) pretty much going all over the region tackling all sorts of historical events, it's just that they're not as strictly based in historical sources and are a little prolonged due to them being more political.

The first half of the non-DLC game is all focused on the Pazzi Conspiracy (with representations of the actual Lorenzo attempted assassination and attempted coup d'etat of the Signoria), while the second half is focused on the power play that happened among the venetian doges (Mocennigo's death, Barbarigo's ascension and death, etc.) Even though history is more of a background/ambiance in AC1, it's certainly not in AC2 where Ezio pretty much helps to define the political landscape of Italy by going around and mingling (either by allying or assassinating) with characters 75% of which are all historical people (in comparison, only half of Templars in AC1 are historical figures, and there's only one other historical figure, that being Richard, and we never redefine the Crusader movement or something like that).

Fatal-Feit
02-28-2014, 11:26 AM
I can see your point, though don't really agree about AC2 in that respect. In AC2 you're still (even without Battle of Forli and Bonfire of the Vanities) pretty much going all over the region tackling all sorts of historical events, it's just that they're not as strictly based in historical sources and are a little prolonged due to them being more political.

The first half of the non-DLC game is all focused on the Pazzi Conspiracy (with representations of the actual Lorenzo attempted assassination and attempted coup d'etat of the Signoria), while the second half is focused on the power play that happened among the venetian doges (Mocennigo's death, Barbarigo's ascension and death, etc.) Even though history is more of a background/ambiance in AC1, it's certainly not in AC2 where Ezio pretty much helps to define the political landscape of Italy by going around and mingling (either by allying or assassinating) with characters 75% of which are all historical people (in comparison, only half of Templars in AC1 are historical figures, and there's only one other historical figure, that being Richard, and we never redefine the Crusader movement or something like that).

I definitely get your point now and I agree. As I've stated in another thread, AC:2 was part of the ''milking''.

Dome500
02-28-2014, 03:02 PM
I definitely get your point now and I agree. As I've stated in another thread, AC:2 was part of the ''milking''.

Actually everything since ACII was only milking.

AC is starting to kind of get a reputation to be the Ubisoft equivalent of CoD.

Fatal-Feit
03-01-2014, 12:01 AM
Actually everything since ACII was only milking.

AC is starting to kind of get a reputation to be the Ubisoft equivalent of CoD.

Except unlike CoD, AC is more open to innovation through both gameplay and story. ex: AC:3 and AC:IV.

The entire Ezio Trilogy was the only time I would consider the series to be CoD.

Dome500
03-01-2014, 12:23 AM
Except unlike CoD, AC is more open to innovation through both gameplay and story.

Ahm....

Story? Yes.
Gameplay? No (this is what made me loose interest/enthusiasm for AC over the past years)

A lot of systems need a revamp or huge improvements in AC.

Fatal-Feit
03-01-2014, 12:42 AM
Ahm....

Story? Yes.
Gameplay? No (this is what made me loose interest/enthusiasm for AC over the past years)

I greatly disagree. The gameplay just need some tweaking and a better execution.

oliacr
03-01-2014, 11:15 AM
Ahm....

Story? Yes.

In ACIII they improved many things, including combat system, free run etc. 2 games have passed since then. So maybe this year they will introduce something new, or just revamp some mission types like eavesdropping/tailing.

GunnerGalactico
03-01-2014, 12:34 PM
In ACIII they improved many things, including combat system, free run etc. 2 games have passed since then. So maybe this year they will introduce something new, or just revamp some mission types like eavesdropping/tailing.

I also think they could add a few new things and keep the usual missions. They just need to keep things fresh. I wish they bring back the side quests from AC2 where you had to use eagle vision to find symbols on walls and building and solve puzzles.. I thoroughly enjoyed those elements of the game.

oO_Sovereign_Oo
03-01-2014, 02:28 PM
If the game is set in Victorian London then we'll probably see the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn and Woodman used to think about Giovanni a lot and mix up his memories with those of Giovanni's so there is a chance there'll be some Consus in AC5. Fingers crossed!

depends on year they do they were founded in 1888 (Which i'll love because jack the ripper was terrorizing london then)but your deffiantly have the freemasions and in real life would you wanna be one.
http://http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17272611 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17272611)

Dome500
03-01-2014, 04:39 PM

1. Combat: Slightly improved yes, but not made challenging enough and still pretty boring after a while IMO.
2. Stealth was Improved in AC4 => Big plus for that, they should continue improving this
3. Free Running Improved? You kidding me, right? I absolutely HATE the new free-running, because there is nothing free about it anymore. It's like running on rails and if you just want to run on the streets and come to close to a building you'll just automatically climb it. You don't even have to press directions that often anymore because your character automatically climbs. That is bull****, seriously. It's over-simplification causing a lot of problems and misunderstandings. I wish they would have stayed with the good old "2 button press" running.

Also, the AC series somehow likes to remove things that are actually GOOD.

Like aiming with smoke bombs, enemies attacking more often and at the same time. Etc, etc.

Yeah improvements, but very little. That is the problem IMO. Some thing were even a step back (like the free run I mentioned).
I really hope they'll introduce some revamped systems.

One of the reasons I am not so enthusiastic about AC anymore is that I see not enough progress in the mechanics, especially in those things which are asked for over and over again by people here.

Sure, there have been improvements, and I thank Ubi for it, especially Stealth. Like I said they should improve it further, that is very good that they are working on that.
But there are also parts of the gameplay which have obvious problems but are not addressed enough IMO.

Fatal-Feit
03-01-2014, 10:20 PM
1. Combat: Slightly improved yes, but not made challenging enough and still pretty boring after a while IMO.

It's not a slight improvement, it's the complete revamp and overhaul that people ask for every game. Not only was everything built from the ground up, they stayed true to the original formula, added new mechanics/tweaks, and the animations were near perfect and well executed. Also challenging or not, it's still the most regarded by fans and IMO, was perfect. It has enough challenge for newcomers and the depth for oldtimers.

2. Stealth was Improved in AC4 => Big plus for that, they should continue improving this

Definitely. And hopefully we might get the crouch option we've been requesting. I've always wanted to do those back to back wall assassinations like in ME:3.

3. Free Running Improved? You kidding me, right? I absolutely HATE the new free-running, because there is nothing free about it anymore. It's like running on rails and if you just want to run on the streets and come to close to a building you'll just automatically climb it. You don't even have to press directions that often anymore because your character automatically climbs. That is bull****, seriously. It's over-simplification causing a lot of problems and misunderstandings. I wish they would have stayed with the good old "2 button press" running.

That is your opinion. And despite your opinion, you can't change the fact that it's another complete revamp and overhaul of an existing feature that fans been contemplating for the longest time. Plus, overly-simple or not, a more seamless climbing,free-roaming, and improved animations are still factually an improvement. I also don't understand why people have so much problem with it. It still requires you to tilt your analog, A to climb/jump towards a direction, and B to fall or jump. And TBH, you were more restricted and the controls were stiff/clunky with the older games. You couldn't run to an edge of a building and hold B to free-fall. You either had to jump or had Ezio drop to the side first.

Also, the AC series somehow likes to remove things that are actually GOOD.

Like aiming with smoke bombs, enemies attacking more often and at the same time. Etc, etc.

Yeah improvements, but very little. That is the problem IMO. Some thing were even a step back (like the free run I mentioned).
I really hope they'll introduce some revamped systems.

One of the reasons I am not so enthusiastic about AC anymore is that I see not enough progress in the mechanics, especially in those things which are asked for over and over again by people here.

Sure, there have been improvements, and I thank Ubi for it, especially Stealth. Like I said they should improve it further, that is very good that they are working on that.
But there are also parts of the gameplay which have obvious problems but are not addressed enough IMO.

This the reason why they can't win. The fans are almost too bipolar. They complain about one thing but then make a 180 and complain about another. No matter how humanly possible they try improve the series, people will still complain.

They want the series to stay the same with the same mechanics-- They want the series to be new and innovative.

They complain about a lack of new protagonist after AC:R-- They complain because the protagonist is not flamboyant and charismatic like Ezio.

They complain about Assassin having too much tools and making the game easy.-- They complain about the lack of arsenals and Assassins recruits for it.

They complain about a lack of Creed and Assassins vs Templar conflict.-- They complain about AC:IV being a Pirate's game instead for some ridiculous reasons.

Dome500
03-01-2014, 10:51 PM
Also challenging or not, it's still the most regarded by fans and IMO, was perfect. It has enough challenge for newcomers and the depth for oldtimers.

It was boring.
I can still kill 20 people without loosing a lot of health. I am just too powerful.

And the worst thing is you need no skill for this. There is about 2 strategies to use for enemies and not more. If I had to think about what strategies I use if there were 5 or 6 different types of enemies, then I might be challenged in a way that I have to think before I act. But at the moment it's just mashing buttons without any difficulty and one-hit kills chained together in kill-streaks.

Definitely. And hopefully we might get the crouch option we've been requesting. I've always wanted to do those back to back wall assassinations like in ME:3.

Agreed. A real Stealth system including crouch option, tweaked social Stealth, distraction tools and better A.I.
Not Splinter Cell niveau but definitely solid enough for Stealth to be a viable option in 90% of the missions.

Plus, overly-simple or not, a more seamless climbing,free-roaming, and improved animations are still factually an improvement.

No, they are not if they are causing me more frustration then enjoyment. It might be comfortable and easier, but it drives me insane, does often not what I want and when it actually works it makes free climbing as easy as closing eyes and pressing one button down all the time, because frankly you can not mis-calculate jumps, you run up every obstacles when trying to sprint on the streets and get too close to them, etc, etc.

It still requires you to tilt your analog, A to climb/jump towards a direction, and B to fall or jump.

Yeah on PC it kind of doesn't. It's just W+Q = auto-run and climb up everything. I tries to "auto-detect) where I want to climb up and where not, back in the old days I had a button to signalize that I am INITIATING that climbing and that I do not want to just run on ground level. But now it says "you came close to this and you are sprinting, so I assume you want to climb here" and you are like "no, why do you climb there? I just wanted to run around the corner !!"

You couldn't run to an edge of a building and hold B to free-fall.

Sure then keep that element, but hell let me choose when I want to start climbing up something. Separation of sprinting/running and initiation of climbing please.

This the reason why they can't win. The fans are almost too bipolar. They complain about one thing but then make a 180 and complain about another. No matter how humanly possible they try improve the series, people will still complain.

Because this series has around 10 million fans.... There will always be people complaining. The question is how MANY are complaining about a specific thing.

AND because there are those who want it harder, and those lazy idiots who want it easy and comfortable. :rolleyes:
Problem is the more comfortable and easy you make it (controls, gameplay) the less accurate and less interesting it gets...

They complain about Assassin having too much tools and making the game easy.

I wouldn't listen to those fans saying this to be honest. Difficulty has nothing to do with variety of tools and ways to achieve something.
And everyone who does not see that difference has clearly no idea of game design.

They complain about a lack of Creed and Assassins vs Templar conflict.-- They complain about AC:IV being a Pirate's game instead for some ridiculous reasons.

Those 2 are actually kind of the same complaint most of the time.

whereisantonio
03-02-2014, 06:53 AM
At around the time when Black Flag was recently released, I had made a concept of how the modern storyline would go.

Name: Assassins Creed - Repeated Crisis
Juno could've been the one that had deliberately destroyed the First Civilisation. And she may be planning to do it again in the near future, hence the title "Repeated Crisis". The main protagonist from Black Flag (who will be revealed) discovers his ancestors have First Civilisation blood to which then Abstergo attempts to capture him, but is rescued by Modern-Time assassins. A fugitive, his job now is to travel around the world and find information in regards to his ancestors and the "crisis" to avoid World Chaos.
The gameplay is you can travel to major parts of the world (Gameplay could be like Brotherhood but refined with Black Flag) and attempt to find many contacts willing to sample their DNA to you to check on the Animus.

Delvor
03-02-2014, 05:25 PM
I actually want to see Desmond back, I have a feeling he will some other time,

let say he didn't actually die. that's the twist.

That's what i would like to see actually, it was such a lame exit. If Desmond was in some Abstergo lab on ice or in a coma somewhere that might somewhat redeem it.
As i posted on another thread I didn't feel connected to the nameless character we controlled in AC4

Fatal-Feit
03-02-2014, 05:37 PM
It was boring.
I can still kill 20 people without loosing a lot of health. I am just too powerful.

And the worst thing is you need no skill for this. There is about 2 strategies to use for enemies and not more. If I had to think about what strategies I use if there were 5 or 6 different types of enemies, then I might be challenged in a way that I have to think before I act. But at the moment it's just mashing buttons without any difficulty and one-hit kills chained together in kill-streaks.

An easy combat have never been news for the franchise, and despite AC:3 still being easy, it still owns credibility for introducing a sense of challenge that the series have never came close to and that AC:IV diminished.

No skill? Oh please. Tell me, how was your time button mashing and chain-killing against Jagers, Brutes, Officers, Horseman, and Agiles? You factually can't button mash against them and they often come in groups.

No, they are not if they are causing me more frustration then enjoyment. It might be comfortable and easier, but it drives me insane, does often not what I want and when it actually works it makes free climbing as easy as closing eyes and pressing one button down all the time, because frankly you can not mis-calculate jumps, you run up every obstacles when trying to sprint on the streets and get too close to them, etc, etc.

Then that is your problem with being nitpicky, not the game. Tilt the analag, it'll make accuracy more abundant

Yeah on PC it kind of doesn't. It's just W+Q = auto-run and climb up everything. I tries to "auto-detect) where I want to climb up and where not, back in the old days I had a button to signalize that I am INITIATING that climbing and that I do not want to just run on ground level. But now it says "you came close to this and you are sprinting, so I assume you want to climb here" and you are like "no, why do you climb there? I just wanted to run around the corner !!"

That's a problem with a lack of practice and controls on your side. I used to come across the same issues but I adjusted after few hours of practice. Remember that the camera plays a role in the new climbing scheme. And try to pause your movement more often when you're using a keyboard to climb. Ubisoft have always recommended controllers anyway.

Sure then keep that element, but hell let me choose when I want to start climbing up something. Separation of sprinting/running and initiation of climbing please.

I have no problem with tilting my analog or RT but I won't stand in your way if you want to file a feedback ticket.

Because this series has around 10 million fans.... There will always be people complaining. The question is how MANY are complaining about a specific thing.

Said repetitions are of said repetitions.

AND because there are those who want it harder, and those lazy idiots who want it easy and comfortable. :rolleyes:
Problem is the more comfortable and easy you make it (controls, gameplay) the less accurate and less interesting it gets...

Gee, wow. I guess people wanting paid products to be more simplistic and comfortable makes them idiots. I'm sorry, I forgot it was video games we're talking about. How dare people involve relaxing and pleasures with such entertainments.

But on a less stupid note, those are your opinions. Like the developers, some people happen to find more freedom and accuracy with the new climbing. It's quicker, more responsive, opens more pathways unlike the original clunky one, and leaves potential features for future developments.

If it's less interesting for you, that may be due to the fact that the 17th century saga wasn't built around climbing catacombs or enormously tall architecture which is understandable.

I wouldn't listen to those fans saying this to be honest. Difficulty has nothing to do with variety of tools and ways to achieve something.
And everyone who does not see that difference has clearly no idea of game design.

Was an added fact to my point.

Those 2 are actually kind of the same complaint most of the time.

That makes no sense. We might as well boycott AC:2-AC:R for consisting of 90% militia, thieves, courtesan missions and lessening the emphasis on the original foundation of the first game. AC:IV had pirates, yes, but they were always left to the side. They were merely the theme of the game, not the actual game itself.

There's a difference and anyone who does not see that difference has clearly no idea of game design.

Delvor
03-02-2014, 05:55 PM
What I really wanna see: Consus, Erudito, Eve, The Sword of Eden, The Shroud of Eden, Sumerian or Ancient Egyptian setting, The First Civilization, Present Day missions.

What I really hate to see: Abstergo Entertainment, ďMeĒ as the protagonist, a historical GTA kinda game, Juno deleted from severs before being able to control the world.

I really donít wanna see them kill Juno by ďdeletingĒ her. I want her to get out and control the world, make changes. Letís separate this reality from the gamesí reality. Lets have something new. Maybe her world dominion plot isnít like comic book tyrants but lets have her control some regions and thatís where modern day assassins really try to make a difference using their immunity to her mind control. They can use the animus to see Eve or perhaps use The Eye that Minerva built to see the possibilities and consequences of their actions and efforts to kill Juno. Perhaps Juno will have a palace or pyramid similar to that of The Tyranny of King Washington.

Iíd love to see that stuff. I really donít want them to put ďmeĒ as the protagonist. I am the gamer, Iím not fit to be part of the game unless Iím rendered in 3D and put in the game. In AC4, I didnít see myself exploring Abstergo Entertainment, I saw a voiceless floating camera. So the developers failed big time in making me feel like Iím in the game. I felt more in the game when Desmond was playing than I was when I was told to think that this is me.

Totally agree with this post, in fact the last paragraph is exactly how I feel.I think i even mentioned the whole GTA voiceless character thing in the - did AC4 suck thread?

SchlechterWolf
03-02-2014, 08:22 PM
'Abstergo Entertainment' was an incredibly embarrassing route for Ubisoft to take. Hard to believe they gave such a convoluted concept the green light when there were far more obvious and credible routes for them to take with this series. Absolutely ridiculous idea.

What they need is a new third-person modern day protagonist who is an assassin. Really shouldn't be that difficult. Ubisoft keeping Desmond's ancestry after his death is them wanting to have their cake and eat it too; they need to fully commit to a new direction / the direction they took two games ago.