PDA

View Full Version : A Robin Hood ac game

Smithies89
02-21-2014, 03:10 AM
How about a crusader soldier who was trained by the assassins during Altairs time and England is under Templar influence since having a king who cares little for the country seeing it only as a resource in his war. City's could be London, Nottingham and York. With the forest serving as the frontier type location along with a hidden camp, you recruit people to help in the fight with stealing from the rich Templars being key. AC is always based on fictional characters in historical settings so why not say this is where the Robin Hood legend came from he was actually an assassin, the first one to establish a guild in the UK.

Does anyone else think this is a good idea?

Megas_Doux
02-21-2014, 03:22 AM
I would love a northern europe setting! Besides I think the bow deserves a second chance after the whole broken AC III ai fiasco haha.

LoyalACFan
02-21-2014, 03:37 AM
Goddammit, y'all need to stop stealing my Robin Hood game :mad:

I'm kidding of course, as I would obviously love the setting and concept (I'm planning and scripting a game about it as we speak). Just don't steal my thunder Ubisoft... :o

Smithies89
02-21-2014, 03:54 AM
I thought about it a lot I have way more ideas for it but I'm at work maybe when I finish il go into more detail

Consus_E
02-21-2014, 04:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNwRa_A7VDc
XD sorry couldn't resist

Sure as long I'd love to see a Medieval England setting.

Fatal-Feit
02-21-2014, 04:49 AM
This would be pretty cool, actually. They should do something like this with other legends. Or at least have some sort of liberation mission where you meet the real deal.

Consus_E
02-21-2014, 04:57 AM
This and possibly a Sherlock Holmes game...

LUR21
02-21-2014, 05:25 AM
I would absolutely love an assassins game with Robin Hood as you described it. That would be epic.

HDinHB
02-21-2014, 08:58 AM
As you surmised, Robin Hood (like Zorro and many other "fictionalized" historic heroes and heroic outlaws) is certainly an Assassin! I'm reasonably sure the Assassins had a hand in the plot of the Three Musketeers against Richelieu, but I haven't quite figured that out yet.

Back on topic: Perhaps, after his encounter with Alta´r, King Richard turned his back on Templar influence, and the Templars focused their attention on his brother Prince John, manipulating him through their agent the Sheriff of Nottingham.

If you haven't read Ivanhoe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivanhoe), it pretty much reinvented large parts of the modern version of the Robin Hood legend. It nicely combines the elements in your OP, with King Richard, Robin Hood, Templars, and a young crusader knight. And it would make a great game. I'm not sure I trust the AC horses with jousting, but a good jousting mini-game would be awesome. Maybe even better than fanarona.:p

Smithies89
02-21-2014, 06:36 PM
John wasnt actually Richards brother he was just his successor

His name would be something completely different he just becomes known as Robin Hood by the people due to his assassin robes and hood, no tights or silly green hats

and I would involve a character who legend would come to know as the Sheriff of Nottingham but he would be a templar oppressing the people for templar means not a cardboard villain

The forest would serve as the frontier with Robin able to do all the cool free running through it like Connor

The camp would grow and change like the Davenport homestead as you recruit a band of "merry men" they would at first be a rag tag bunch like Connors recruits but over time they become more Assassin like until the point it becomes and actually Assassin Brotherhood

Naturally no gun so bow and arrows with an overhauled system, something that makes you feel like a badass, He is an expert marksman with a bow something like Legalos able to fire shot after shot in quick succession with deadly precision.

slightly off topic I didnt mind the overhauled combat system of 3 and BF I just thing the kill animations are a little over elaborate and long, I like how Altair or Ezio would get one slash or stab away and its done. with Edward and Adewale it felt like he was hacking them over and over which felt a little silly

LoyalACFan
02-21-2014, 07:34 PM
John wasnt actually Richards brother he was just his successor

No, they were brothers. The sons of Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitane.

Sushiglutton
02-21-2014, 07:40 PM
Think we have discussed this before and I think it's a great idea! Since Ubi can make climbable forests they have all the tech they need to make a fantastic Robin Hood game. And it should be fairly easy to fit in the templar/assassin thing into it.

They need to completely redo the bow-mechanics as they were very poor in AC3.

LoyalACFan
02-21-2014, 07:46 PM
They need to completely redo the bow-mechanics as they were very poor in AC3.

Indeed. The shooting system in general needs some tweaking if they're going to continue a focus on ranged weapons. It was pretty bad in AC3, and meh in AC4.

Sushiglutton
02-21-2014, 07:56 PM
Indeed. The shooting system in general needs some tweaking if they're going to continue a focus on ranged weapons. It was pretty bad in AC3, and meh in AC4.

Yeah it was not close to a proper TPS (like the bow in Tomb Raider for example!). I think I read some comment from Ashraf about how happy he was that they managed free-aiming at all as it wasn't supported by the engine. it was probably technically hard, because none of the other systems are designed for it. In a Robin Hood game it's obv mandatory to have top notch bow mechanics.

Smithies89
02-21-2014, 07:59 PM
No, they were brothers. The sons of Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitane.

My mistake. I was just thinking about how in all Robin Hood stories Richard is this honorable English king who Robin fights for when the reality was he was actually a frenchman who only a ever spent a short period of time in the country. When I first played the first AC game I was confused by his french accent until I looked it up and realised all the Robin Hood stories painted a poor historical picture about who he actually was

LoyalACFan
02-21-2014, 08:01 PM
My mistake. I was just thinking about how in all Robin Hood stories Richard is this honorable English king who Robin fights for when the reality was he was actually a frenchman who only a ever spent a short period of time in the country. When I first played the first AC game I was confused by his french accent until I looked it up and realised all the Robin Hood stories painted a poor historical picture about who he actually was

Yeah, it's an easy mistake to make, as Richard was raised in France and historically didn't even speak English. Until I started researching it specifically for this game, I thought he was a lot like he was portrayed in Robin Hood stories. He was actually a pretty shabby king according to some historians.

wildheart25c
02-21-2014, 08:39 PM
i didnt read all the posts. this is mainly a response to the first one.

I like the idea. however the first impression i got was of me running around fighting guards and stealing gold from prince john.....like that cartoon version of robbin hood we saw 20 years ago :D it was funny. an assassin running around in a green shirt and no pants.

but putting childhood memories aside, im not sure it would work. i don't know about any of you but i don't know much about the history in altair and etzio's stories. i know some. very little actually. but we, all of us, are used to seeing robin hood in a specific way. it just doesn't mix. were there even any templars back then?

but this is why you have a very well paid team of writers. i'd be very curious to see how they'd spin it off. oh and the fairy ma marien. his lover. what's that going to be like? in ac brotherhood there was a short love scene. not really sure what its purpose was. she wasn't even that much involved in ac 2.

ze_topazio
02-21-2014, 08:55 PM
You know, Robin Hood is most likely just fiction, it's a very old English tale that nobody knows the origin, things like stealing from the rich to give to the poor, King Richard, King John, the sheriff, etc..., are additions that kept being added through the years, in the oldest surviving recordings of the legend those elements are not present, AC usually bases itself on history and not on vague legends, even if the legends are based on a real person we don't really know when exactly that person lived.

GunnerGalactico
02-21-2014, 09:51 PM
You know, Robin Hood is most likely just fiction, it's a very old English tale that nobody knows the origin, things like stealing from the rich to give to the poor, King Richard, King John, the sheriff, etc..., are additions that kept being added through the years, in the oldest surviving recordings of the legend those elements are not present, AC usually bases itself on history and not on vague legends, even if the legends are based on a real person we don't really know when exactly that person lived.

The same can also be said about King Arthur.. the legend was based 4 different people.

oliacr
02-21-2014, 09:59 PM
Why not?

LoyalACFan
02-21-2014, 10:16 PM

If it means we aren't going to be shoehorned into unnecessary historical events, then I'm all for AC forsaking actual history a little more than it has in the past.

lothario-da-be
02-21-2014, 10:32 PM
Robin hood is too stereotipical for an ac game, and its fiction. I doubt it wil hapen.

I-Like-Pie45
02-21-2014, 10:38 PM
how about Assassin's Creed: Macbeth

Macbeth is full of conspiracy, assassinations, tragedy, discussions about human nature, random nudity (at least in the Polanski movie), magic hocus pocus, etc.

Macbeth is deep man just hear how deep it is. AC needs something this deep to fully cleanse its plate of ACB's horridness that passed for a story

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-XTgC34IQQ

Just swap out the 3 Witches for like 3 Sages for something, Hecate for Juno or something, toss in the Assassins and Templars somehow, and its perfect for an AC game

Ureh
02-21-2014, 10:41 PM
@wildheart25c Prancing through the woods in green tights and singing songs with a friar and a giant? Sounds good. ;):p

Smithies89
02-21-2014, 11:36 PM
I keep saying to myself to completely ignore all stories and just come up with one that is just the basic legend with none of the recent stories but the more I think of it the more it fits like a Saracen coming back with him instead it could easily be a fellow assassin

At the beginning he is a soldier in Richards crusade but has become disillusioned with the war believing the bloodshed is not necessary then he is captured where he befriends a captured assassin and they escape together he then joins their cause and spends some time in masyaf training and learning the assassin ways before returning to England where he wages war against the Templar corruption

Smithies89
02-21-2014, 11:47 PM
And it wouldn't be running around in green tights and a silly had I would imagine his hat he would wear and outfit similar to Altair perhaps with leather armour like Edward Kenway. He doesn't even have to be called Robin Hood he perhaps pulled off a big heist and was then referred to as that robbing hood, and it then became a local legend that people told stories about over the centuries where details were added

But he is an assassin who gains enough infamy that people talk about him and the legend is born

You can just see someone in the present day saying to the player "I think we have stumbled onto the real life Robin Hood here" he is most likely fiction but no one knows it's a legend not a set in stone story from a specific set of stories like Sherlock Holmes or Zorro

HDinHB
02-22-2014, 02:29 AM
Well of course he has to have green tights and a silly hat! :D You could make it an optional costume, possibly unlocked by a community event or DLC.

I don't understand the argument that there can't be a game about Robin Hood because he is a fictional character. The wikipedia articles for Alta´r and Ezio begin with the words "is a fictional character." The Assassin protagonist in all the games is never a verified historical person, either because of a Templar cover-up or one by the Assassin's themselves (or both), but they are always surrounded by real historic figures. Just like Robin Hood. I doubt Ubisoft will ever make a Robin Hood AC game, but it would be a great AC game. As long as there's jousting. And they fix the horses.

Fatal-Feit
02-22-2014, 05:02 AM
Robin hood is too stereotipical for an ac game, and its fiction. I doubt it wil hapen.

Well technically the AC universe IS fiction, and the past protagonists have been both stereotipical and somewhat cliche but we all still love them anyway. I don't know if they can introduce a new protagonist without us rolling our eyes anymore.

A Robin Hood-LIKE protagonist could work. I've always wanted an eccentric Link look-alike for an Assassin. Green and white does make a gorgeous combo after all.

ze_topazio
02-22-2014, 01:10 PM
Well of course he has to have green tights and a silly hat! :D You could make it an optional costume, possibly unlocked by a community event or DLC.

I don't understand the argument that there can't be a game about Robin Hood because he is a fictional character. The wikipedia articles for Alta´r and Ezio begin with the words "is a fictional character." The Assassin protagonist in all the games is never a verified historical person, either because of a Templar cover-up or one by the Assassin's themselves (or both), but they are always surrounded by real historic figures. Just like Robin Hood. I doubt Ubisoft will ever make a Robin Hood AC game, but it would be a great AC game. As long as there's jousting. And they fix the horses.

Let's make an AC about Harry Potter then, Altair and Ezio are fictional characters created by Ubisoft for this franchise, Robin Hood and Harry Potter are fictional characters created by other people for other franchises, that's the difference and the problem.

Thunderchild75
02-22-2014, 02:32 PM
It's a good idea, although would also need Winchester as that was still a very important city during King Richard I reign.

Smithies89
02-22-2014, 06:00 PM
Let's make an AC about Harry Potter then, Altair and Ezio are fictional characters created by Ubisoft for this franchise, Robin Hood and Harry Potter are fictional characters created by other people for other franchises, that's the difference and the problem.

So who wrote Robin Hood?

Sushiglutton
02-22-2014, 06:51 PM

You really think that's the same thing? According to wiki the scholars are not sure wether RH is based on a real person or not: "The origin of the legend is asserted by some to have been actual outlaws, or ballads or tales of outlaws." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Hood). I think he would fit very well into the AC frranchise both gameplay wise (sneaking around forests and castles) and ideologically. Sure it's something different than what Ubi has done before, but they constantly try to find new angles. I mean in AC4 we never played as an assassin.

Edit: He is even called Robin HOOD for god damn sake :p

Shahkulu101
02-22-2014, 07:01 PM
I'd be all for it. It's something different that hopefully could drive away the self-entitled, superficial and ridiculously conservative fans that unfortunately make up a very large part of the core fanbase.

Locopells
02-22-2014, 07:28 PM
Hell yeah! We've had pirates, so why not? Reality behind the legends was one of the points of ACIV after all...

Would be an interesting angle actually, seeing as this would be in the time of Altair and the early Assassin's - before they became THE Assassins as they were under his leadership.

LoyalACFan
02-23-2014, 12:04 AM

Robin Hood is public domain. He's a legend, like King Arthur or Paul Bunyan, and his creation is not attributable to any specific person. He might have even been based on a real guy. Whereas Harry Potter is a trademarked character created by one (very famous and still living) author.

As long as they don't rip off original elements from trademarked retellings of the Robin Hood myth, they're in the clear.

Farlander1991
02-23-2014, 01:44 AM
I don't think there will be ever an actual Robin Hood game/Robin Hood character in the AC universe based on legends. However, if a time period of a particular game allows for that, there's always room for a character on whom the legend will be based on. Ubisoft loves doing this kind of thing. The person Machiavelli based one of his books on (and kept it short :p ). The Indian(s) who was active participant of the Tea Party. Seems right up their alley.

DumbGamerTag94
02-23-2014, 04:14 AM
I think it would be an interesting period for an AC game. I know next to nothing about this time and place in history but I think it would be cool to show a post-crusades England since we meet King Richard in AC1 and his successor was Robin Hood's nemesis. I think it would be a very interesting plot and the theft from nobles concept sounds like a cool opportunity for side activities. However it would be too campy to use an actual Robin Hood character since he is fictional, but if there is actual historical people and groups at this time who the legend is based on it would be neat to have a character that subtly hints at being the inspiration for the legend. As long as the plot and period are grounded on historical fact and not on the legendary aspect of robin hood I would be fine with it. As long as everything in the plot would be an actual historic event and the "Robin Hood" aspects of it were explained away by a fictional character like an assassin I would be fine with a game like this. But I have little knowledge of this period so I couldn't make the call on if its doable.