PDA

View Full Version : Changes to Whispers and how they affects strategies.

assassin020
02-12-2014, 02:55 AM
I can understand why the whispers have increased since ACR, so that newer players (and I guess older too) are made aware that their pursuer is close by. However, there is a significant change from the whispers in AC3 and AC4.

There are two main changes: the point when you start hearing whispers and the point when its very loud. You start hearing whispers when your pursuers are much closer compared to AC3. And after you start hearing whispers, the range it takes until it gets really loud is also shorter.

These changes are most frustrating in modes like Deathmatch, when you have multiple players in a concentrated area. In AC3, I could determine my pursuers from the point the whispers start, and the range when it is at its loudest. But in AC4, I'm searching franticly for my pursuers because I simple don't know where they are coming from, in situations where I know there's more than one player around me. The decreased range decreases your opportunity to react and plan. It's especially true in Artifact Assault, when you're running with the artifact and you have a pursuer waiting to cut you off. By the time you hear the whispers, it's too late to react or respond to the new situation. An example of this is using teleport to get yourself away from the pursuer, but your pursuer is too close for your teleport to activate on time.

In AC3, I felt like the whispers were telling me "beware of your pursuer", in AC4, it's more like "ALERT! YOU'RE ABOUT TO DIE!". And I think this is why more people resort to bodyguard, because they are overwhelmed by the whispers and are unable to pick out their pursuers.

The purpose of whispers is to make the player aware of their pursuer, and so I think the objective has been blurred somewhat, by the changes in AC4. And I think AC3's whispers were perfect for its designed purpose.

I'm interested to know what you think so please share your thoughts!

Note: This topic is about whispers and how it affects a players strategies, so please keep your personal opinions of what an appropriate and inappropriate strategy is to yourself, thanks.

Alphacos007
02-12-2014, 03:01 AM
I do agree with you, the first matches on ACIV were a pain to me, as the whispers are very changed. The worst part is that sometimes it only starts when your porsuer is almost on you, or sometimes I even get killed without hearing the whispers, that's lame.

dbzk1999
02-12-2014, 02:59 PM
I never had a problem with whispers
I always dominate people in deathmatch

Mr_Shade
02-12-2014, 05:32 PM
Locking thread at OP request: thread is now in MP forum.