PDA

View Full Version : What is your favourite Assassin's Creed?

playlisting
02-09-2014, 09:33 PM
And why!

Fatal-Feit
02-09-2014, 09:55 PM
The majority of Ezio's Trilogy didn't feel at all like a real Assassin's Creed game to me. Revelations attempted to bring it back to its route, but AC:3 had the better innovation and story, IMO. I would have voted for AC:IV, but it felt more of a step back like a 2.8 than a 3.5 or 4.0 of the series.

guidomista
02-10-2014, 12:36 AM
AC2 is one of the best games ever

byte_x
02-10-2014, 04:52 AM
revelations is my favourite. i like ezio games very much, the idea of owning the city is awesome. plus that whole detailed bomb business is nice. and its the last game that assassin recuits exist, (ac 3 doesnt count). playing as altair was also nice. plus, i am turkish, so the game is in my hometown where i recognize the landmarks. and it was an "assassin game", which ubisoft is not releasing any more.

ACLexter
02-10-2014, 06:38 AM
I would say all the Ezio story. but to be specific, AC Revelations. Its just epic way to link Ezio to Altair and story is legendary.
The rest of the AC game are awesome too, but this is just my personal opinion.

EyepatchEagle
02-10-2014, 09:42 AM
AC1 (yes, I'm serious) and ACB. Best atmosphere, music, environment and just everything. They share the first place, but because I can't vote for both I'll tick the ACB one for having the MP.

Anykeyer
02-10-2014, 10:03 AM
AC3. Because everything about it was great. Some ppl dont like its cities but I find them to be very well done, immersive and organic.
then ACB>AC2>AC1>AC4>ACL>ACR

SixKeys
02-10-2014, 10:48 AM
ACB. I simply find it the most entertaining. The combat may be super-easy, but also really fun. Great multiplayer, great music, great mission design and great side content.

AmaZim2
02-10-2014, 04:26 PM
Ac:b

Dome500
02-10-2014, 06:54 PM
(mild spoilers)

The Ezio-Trilogy, but mainly Assassins Creed II.

A good story with balance between personal motivation and the Assassins (Brotherhood and Revelations had that as well) combined with a Fighting system which was a little bit more difficult (although a little annoying sometimes it was at least not as easy as it is at the moment), had a load of weapons and armor, gave you a lot of tools to work with and had a lot of side missions to do.

Assassins Creed 1 was a little bit too linear, although the story was AWESOME, really. It had this mystical touch and was really what let me pull through the rather boring gameplay (boring aside from the actual assassinations and the free-running).

Assassins Creed III was the weakest in my eyes. It had a lot of glitches, Connor was a flat character mostly driven by his own goals just to then later on change completely and kill without asking just because they are Templars. The actual side missions were the worst (aside from the Naval ones) with no real explanation and stuff and sometimes just boring.
The forts were boring and the Stealth completely broken. The Controls were simplified and armor or protection was as good as none, just outfits.

And while I think that ACIV made a step in the right direction gameplay wise, re-establishing stealth, having amazing naval missions (although I would not want to have it again, otherwise it would get boring), had some nice side missions (maya stones, plantations, forts and assassin missions (although the latter were way too disconnected to the rest of the overall story, because the involvement of assassins/templars was so little in 2/3 of the game), I also think it made a step back in other categories. While I also liked the emotional depth towards the end, and also the lat 1/3 of the game were the real stuff started happening, the big questions started coming up, I think it wasted a lot of potential. Edward learned some important lessons, sure. And he joined the Assassins then and they got more involves. But there was really more potential and the Templar/Assassin storyline was just in the background for most of the game instead of being in the foreground. Again, a nice change, but I like my A/T story better, especially since there are so many ways Ubi could tell them, although they do not seem to find them.

If ACIV would not have been an Assassisn Creed game then it might have almost been on one level with ACII, but regarding it as AC game it looses.

Anyway, all in all in terms of story, length, characters, gameplay and overall package ACII (and the Ezio-Trilogy) is still the king IMO.

playlisting
02-10-2014, 07:30 PM
(mild spoilers)

The Ezio-Trilogy, but mainly Assassins Creed II.

A good story with balance between personal motivation and the Assassins (Brotherhood and Revelations had that as well) combined with a Fighting system which was a little bit more difficult (although a little annoying sometimes it was at least not as easy as it is at the moment), had a load of weapons and armor, gave you a lot of tools to work with and had a lot of side missions to do.

Assassins Creed 1 was a little bit too linear, although the story was AWESOME, really. It had this mystical touch and was really what let me pull through the rather boring gameplay (boring aside from the actual assassinations and the free-running).

Assassins Creed III was the weakest in my eyes. It had a lot of glitches, Connor was a flat character mostly driven by his own goals just to then later on change completely and kill without asking just because they are Templars. The actual side missions were the worst (aside from the Naval ones) with no real explanation and stuff and sometimes just boring.
The forts were boring and the Stealth completely broken. The Controls were simplified and armor or protection was as good as none, just outfits.

And while I think that ACIV made a step in the right direction gameplay wise, re-establishing stealth, having amazing naval missions (although I would not want to have it again, otherwise it would get boring), had some nice side missions (maya stones, plantations, forts and assassin missions (although the latter were way too disconnected to the rest of the overall story, because the involvement of assassins/templars was so little in 2/3 of the game), I also think it made a step back in other categories. While I also liked the emotional depth towards the end, and also the lat 1/3 of the game were the real stuff started happening, the big questions started coming up, I think it wasted a lot of potential. Edward learned some important lessons, sure. And he joined the Assassins then and they got more involves. But there was really more potential and the Templar/Assassin storyline was just in the background for most of the game instead of being in the foreground. Again, a nice change, but I like my A/T story better, especially since there are so many ways Ubi could tell them, although they do not seem to find them.

If ACIV would not have been an Assassisn Creed game then it might have almost been on one level with ACII, but regarding it as AC game it looses.

Anyway, all in all in terms of story, length, characters, gameplay and overall package ACII (and the Ezio-Trilogy) is still the king IMO.

As you said I hope they don't have the naval side of things as heavily incorporated into the next AC as they did with this one. Also I hope they find a setting that can match renaissance Italy. Everything about that setting was amazing. Revelations, #3 and #4 all had pretty dull surroundings IMO compared to #2 and Brotherhood. #4's setting was more interesting than #3 and Revelations though so that's a good sign.

mou119
02-10-2014, 07:36 PM
AC1 and ACB are the best imo.
I love the simplicity of AC1, the middle east ambientation and the contrast with the modern present day setting. But my absolute favourite is Brotherhood. Having most of the action happening in one main city is very comfortable, and Rome looks great. Combat is fun and allows you to be creative, and there are great features like being able to throw spears. Also, this game has the VR training missions which are GREAT, and the HUD and menus are so beautifully designed.

strigoi1958
02-11-2014, 04:03 AM
AC4 just because of how much effort has gone into the story, graphics sounds, songs, shanties and detail.... combine all that with the sea battles to gain money / materials... the diving, buried treasure... godrays and the voice acting and characters... it stands above all others just enough to make it number 1. In ACB and Revelations I used to hang on buildings just to admire the buildings... in AC3 the cities and flickering lights plus the sound of running through a field of wheat but now I just set sail... listen to shanties look at the birds, the waves crashing over the deck, the spray and sea mist... the immersion is excellent. AC4 9.9 out of 10 Ac3 9.6 out of 10 and all the others a strong 9 at least.... but if you were talking about characters well that's a different story :D

guidomista
02-11-2014, 12:22 PM
...but if you were talking about characters well that's a different story :D

With no other specification, for voting I made an average of every feature.
Longevity, technical performance, history, characters, atmosphere, music, voices, graphics, gameplay, etc...

It's hard to do... ACIV for example could be the best for graphics and gameplay, but the worst for technical performance. Very Buggy. And kind of defective in history...
On average, I think AC3 is the worst, even if it has some good quality point, and AC2 is the best, even if ACB and ACR moved it farther.

First AC is a classic yet. When they released it it was something totally new.
I used to play other stealth games that period: Metal Gear Solid, Tenchu, Shinobido. Last one was the best stealth game since AC revolution, IMO...
When Ubisoft came off with this precious jewel, they changed forever the way we used to think about stealth third person games.
So, I can't put first AC at the bottom of the list.
I'll put AC3 instead. Even if it's a good game, in many ways it was a disappointment to many people when they released it.

bye

Dome500
02-11-2014, 03:46 PM
As you said I hope they don't have the naval side of things as heavily incorporated into the next AC as they did with this one. Also I hope they find a setting that can match renaissance Italy. Everything about that setting was amazing. Revelations, #3 and #4 all had pretty dull surroundings IMO compared to #2 and Brotherhood. #4's setting was more interesting than #3 and Revelations though so that's a good sign.

Idk.

I still liked Revelations, although I think that the Holy Land and Italy had a more mystical atmosphere.

I would like to see Victorian England or Ancient Egypt as the next setting, though Feudal Japan would also be okay (but not as interesting as the former 2).

Having most of the action happening in one main city is very comfortable, and Rome looks great

I always liked the "3 regions" setting of ACII because they gave you some variety. But I agree that Rome looks great.

AC4 9.9 out of 10

Idk. if that is a good rating considering there might be future AC which are better.
Anyway....

When Ubisoft came off with this precious jewel, they changed forever the way we used to think about stealth third person games.

Yeah. A shame actually that this special form of Stealth had so little attention and focus in AC3 and AC4. Because although I love the fact that AC4 improved the "normal" "line of sight" and "hiding in bushes" Stealth play again and even gave you non-lethal methods to dispose of enemies I have to say that since Revelations (Brotherhood was the last one really including this) Social Stealth has moved towards a 0% focus in the games.

ACR had almost no social stealth at all (except of some missions here and there like the Basar), AC3 had social stealth but die to the setting and the population in NA in that time period it was not a feature they could really focus on, and AC4 had as good as no Social Stealth, getting rid of some of AC3s blending in mechanics altogether and also of the wanted state on land.

I hope they will develop both, Social and LOS (hiding) Stealth further in the next AC game. Especially in a European setting or an Older/Ancient setting in a location that has a rather big population those Stealth elements could become more important again.

ACLexter
02-11-2014, 03:57 PM
Just sharing my thought for AC games.

I like AC1, I like the concept of AC1 because for me this is really what Assassins like. you have your 9 main targets and you have to eliminate them. I really enjoy and feel that I am an Assassin in this game.

AC2 / B / R - I like this because of the story. and I even like it because of Revelations where they explain more of Altairs story.

AC3, because it shows more features and a lot of improvement. Combat/more weapons (ea. Bow, rope dart, etc) and a lot of small things that make the game improved.

AC4 - naval battle, not really Assassins Creed to me anymre, but I can still feel it somehow, naval battle is just to enjoyable to play and more features added.

All of them are my favorite, in terms of the good way they show us. now I want to see what AC5 can bring to us

brigeatenex
02-11-2014, 05:12 PM
My favorites are ACB and AC3. ACB because of the gameplay, I really liked the new brotherhood system, Rome was very awesome and the missions themselves made me go and play it again! AC3 mainly because I love American history, I really like Connor and his story and the game is very very beautiful. :))

playlisting
02-11-2014, 06:02 PM
Idk.

I still liked Revelations, although I think that the Holy Land and Italy had a more mystical atmosphere.

I would like to see Victorian England or Ancient Egypt as the next setting, though Feudal Japan would also be okay (but not as interesting as the former 2).

Victorian England could be interesting. I think the thing that makes me so happy with Italy is that during that time everything was colourful and artistic. The Italian accent is great and I love hearing the heralds shouting the news out as I'm running around the city. I also think that Ezio has the best looking robes in the series as well as armour. The armour has such intricate designs on them and I think that they look great as well. Ezio also had the best voice acting of the series in my opinion. His voice is deeper than all the other assassins and plus he has the Italian accent. I seriously cannot find anything I don't like about #2 and Brotherhood and it's rarely that I think of a game as flawless. Those games were masterpieces.

Dome500
02-11-2014, 10:08 PM
I also like the voice an Italian accent. Though I also have to say that I LOVED the English charm of Haytham and his voice.

Anyway. I agree that Italy in the Renaissance was probably one of the most colorful and rich times in history, a cultural epicenter of art, knowledge and human advancement.

Other interesting settings (including the ones I mentioned) in order of priority/favor for me personally:

Victorian England, Ancient Egypt, England at and around the time of the Glorious Revolution in the 17th century, Feudal Japan, China, England (King Arthur), China.

Alphacos007
02-12-2014, 01:24 AM
I found ACIV was the game I had more fun in the whole franchising, the whole Ship battle and boarding was too much fun.

But the best game overall for me is ACII, the story was very good and I loved the whole conspiration stuff.

playlisting
02-12-2014, 02:01 AM
My favorites are ACB and AC3. ACB because of the gameplay, I really liked the new brotherhood system, Rome was very awesome and the missions themselves made me go and play it again! AC3 mainly because I love American history, I really like Connor and his story and the game is very very beautiful. :))

Yeah Rome was pretty amazing. I loved the nice orangey lighting you got when the sun was setting/rising and the architecture was excellent.

ACLexter
02-12-2014, 09:06 AM
I found ACIV was the game I had more fun in the whole franchising, the whole Ship battle and boarding was too much fun.

But the best game overall for me is ACII, the story was very good and I loved the whole conspiration stuff.

I also found AC4 the most fun to play and enjoyable because it has a lot of NEW features and things to do. but thats it.,

Ichthys91
02-12-2014, 02:04 PM
The first Assassin's Creed. It was revolutionary, you actually play the part of an assassin (instead of a playboy wannabe) and do assassin-related missions, it favours stealth, you actually need to follow the creed, and it didn't add fanboy mechanics like dual hidden blades.

playlisting
02-12-2014, 02:29 PM
The first Assassin's Creed. It was revolutionary, you actually play the part of an assassin (instead of a playboy wannabe) and do assassin-related missions, it favours stealth, you actually need to follow the creed, and it didn't add fanboy mechanics like dual hidden blades.

What do you mean by fanboy mechanics?

Dome500
02-12-2014, 03:58 PM
What do you mean by fanboy mechanics?

Yeah, seriously.

Please define "fanboy mechanics" for me.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Altair very much as well. He had his own style an I think he is still the most badass and "honorable" and "traditional" Assassin.
But talking about wannabe playboy (Ezio probably) and fanboy mechanics sounds a little bit mean.

I understand that not everyone likes every element of a game, and I agree that AC1 was pretty different and had it's own charm and strengths (assassinations, the mysterious story, huge philosophical and moral content, the Creed).
But talking the other games down because they have "fanboy mechanisms" sounds like a pretty weak argument of someone who just doesn't like the other games and does not like those mechanisms.

Those things were simple additions. It's progress. New weapons, new gear, new character. Everyone has his or her own story. Everyone has his/her own time.
I understand that you like some games of the series better than others.

But please spare us with your "elitist talk" and non-existent words like "fanboy mechanisms".

No offense.

Alphacos007
02-12-2014, 05:46 PM
Totally agreed with Dome500.

strigoi1958
02-12-2014, 10:58 PM
well 9.9 is right for now... just as it was for AC1 when it came out and although I still rate AC1 as a 9 and up it has crept down a little over time. in 2 years time AC4 may still be tops to me but either way it would have to be judged at that time.

going back to protagonists.... (probably needs a separate thread) but Haytham is No.1 just ahead of Ezio :D

Dome500
02-12-2014, 11:55 PM
well 9.9 is right for now... just as it was for AC1 when it came out and although I still rate AC1 as a 9 and up it has crept down a little over time. in 2 years time AC4 may still be tops to me but either way it would have to be judged at that time.

going back to protagonists.... (probably needs a separate thread) but Haytham is No.1 just ahead of Ezio :D

I never count Haytham in since we have so little time with him.

My list would be:

Ezio
Altair
Haytham
Edward
Desmond
Connor

strigoi1958
02-13-2014, 02:32 AM
Plus Haytham is a templar :D but I found him easy to like...
mind you (as I never played any of the animus stuff) I always felt desmond was a subject, a vessel through which we saw the story, not an assassin and his bits kept getting in the way rather than being part of the story.
Not that I'm against anything being included... everything that is extra is a bonus from Ubi as far as I'm concerned :D and it doesn't matter if someone is not keen on 1 bit, someone else will love it...

for me
Haytham (short but a follow up could be done in england at an earlier time)
Ezio (a real character)
Altair
Connor
Edward

which (as I read it) is strange having enjoyed black flag the most :confused:

playlisting
02-13-2014, 07:26 PM
Plus Haytham is a templar :D but I found him easy to like...
mind you (as I never played any of the animus stuff) I always felt desmond was a subject, a vessel through which we saw the story, not an assassin and his bits kept getting in the way rather than being part of the story.

What I never understood is why they made him go through the bleeding effect. He barely uses any of the skills he has learned and at the end of his story they just kill him off. They could have included at least a few missions where he has to go full on assassin and use all his skills. I enjoyed most of Desmond's story but I thought that the skills he learned were severely underused. He was with us for 5 games and only once did he use it right at the end of AC III when he broke into Abstergo.

Ureh
02-13-2014, 08:25 PM
Fav game so far is probably ACR but that might change with AC4. :D

Dome500
02-13-2014, 09:22 PM
What I never understood is why they made him go through the bleeding effect. He barely uses any of the skills he has learned and at the end of his story they just kill him off. They could have included at least a few missions where he has to go full on assassin and use all his skills. I enjoyed most of Desmond's story but I thought that the skills he learned were severely underused. He was with us for 5 games and only once did he use it right at the end of AC III when he broke into Abstergo.

Agreed.

My best guess is they started with him but realized either that the story would be too complicated and that they do not know where they want to go with him, or that Desmond himself has to be transitioned into something more neutral without an actual story to tell, since not all liked the present-day story around Desmond. A third reason would be the fact one of the devs mentioned in an interview that they realized a present-day assassins creed would not work. Also, they might have wanted to get rid of the whole "ending of the world" story. All those things could have played into this final decision.

But I agree, it was pretty useless letting Desmond go through all this just to throw him away like a piece of garbage before he can even unfold his potential in a more than stereotypical cliche "final sacrifice".

playlisting
02-13-2014, 11:01 PM
Agreed.

My best guess is they started with him but realized either that the story would be too complicated and that they do not know where they want to go with him, or that Desmond himself has to be transitioned into something more neutral without an actual story to tell, since not all liked the present-day story around Desmond.

Yeah I suppose. I myself found Desmond's story quite interesting. I liked the voice acting on all of the characters and thought that the modern day stuff was quite important as it was the whole reason we were going back in time to search for these pieces of eden and important locations. I particularly liked Shaun and his sarcastic attitude and enjoyed reading the small pieces of information whenever an important person or location appeared. I liked listening to Shaun, Lucy and Rebecca bickering whenever something important happened during the Animus session. I dunno it just felt like the whole team was involved when we were in the Animus during the games where Desmond was alive. It added something. We were just left to it in AC IV and for me although I enjoyed the game it just didn't feel the same. A lot of people wanted for them to just completely scrap the present-day stuff and just visit different periods of history where they could play as the different assassins but that just wouldn't feel right to me. I know Shaun and Rebecca are still in AC IV but we only see them very briefly plus they're not involved at all with the animus. I'll buy the next AC's and I'll most probably enjoy them... But I'll miss the teams comments every sequence or two.

Dome500
02-14-2014, 01:12 AM
Yeah I suppose. I myself found Desmond's story quite interesting. I liked the voice acting on all of the characters and thought that the modern day stuff was quite important as it was the whole reason we were going back in time to search for these pieces of eden and important locations.

Yeah,

But I think in the end they didn't include enough present day story to really get me interested.
Especially AC II, B and R were just there to stall the whole Desmond part and it was getting really annoying that you would get around 20 minutes of present day every game and that's it.

I liked the characters to but they shoved that away too long.

I really liked the AC3 Desmond parts in the city.
A shame they never elaborated on it. It could have become something completely different from the in-animus gameplay. You know, like a Contrast.

I could have very well imagined the Desmond part being more about highly sophisticated social Stealth, clever infiltrations, stealing data from Templars or maybe even killing a Templar once in a while, disguising and getting into a lot of different Abstergo facilities and also searching for new artifacts or undermining Templar operations. Stuff like that.
Would have been a cool contrast to the whole rooftop Assassin stuff inside of the animus. Of course in the Animus you still had social Stealth, but only as a part of the whole thing with more focus on the Combat and the LoS Rooftop/Parkour/Climbing Stealth. In the present day they could have turned that around and gave more focus on disguise and social Stealth while also having a little bit climbing/parkour Stealth and combat. Would make sense, considering modern security measures and weapons, it is only reasonable the Assassins find new ways to Stealth their way close to Templars and sabotage their plans or to pursue their own goals.

Would have really liked to see that.

A lot of people wanted for them to just completely scrap the present-day stuff and just visit different periods of history where they could play as the different assassins but that just wouldn't feel right to me.

Agreed. It would take a way a part of the uniqueness of the series. The Animus story is kind of the overall story arch holding all those games together in one universe. Otherwise the game series might as well be called "Relive History" or something like that. But they created something unique, compelling and interesting here. Would be a shame to get rid of this part of the series.

playlisting
02-14-2014, 11:20 AM
I really liked the AC3 Desmond parts in the city.
A shame they never elaborated on it. It could have become something completely different from the in-animus gameplay. You know, like a Contrast.

I could have very well imagined the Desmond part being more about highly sophisticated social Stealth, clever infiltrations, stealing data from Templars or maybe even killing a Templar once in a while, disguising and getting into a lot of different Abstergo facilities and also searching for new artifacts or undermining Templar operations. Stuff like that.
Would have been a cool contrast to the whole rooftop Assassin stuff inside of the animus.

That would have been good. As you said the city stuff was fun but there wasn't enough of it. It just felt like every now and then they would make him get out and run around a bit. Maybe steal something of some importance but then they just stuck him straight back in the Animus. They started to use him a little bit more in AC III but there was 4 games where they missed an opportunity to have some excellent modern world assassin gameplay. I just hope they can make an interesting present-day character for AC V. The nameless Abstergo employee wasn't very fun to play.

AlyoshaCephas
02-15-2014, 12:32 PM
Good thread, and kind of a tough question. I'm into the story and characters... their development and reaction to circumstances. In single player games, this is just as important as gameplay if I'm to be invested. By the end of AC2 I wasn't sure I liked Ezio... in fact I'm pretty sure the first time I played through it I finished disliking him quite a bit. It wasn't until he matured during ACB that he was endearing to me.

Since I play for the experience, the story, I've got to go with ACR. Epic development of the history of the Assassins, beautiful end to this franchise's most fleshed out protagonist, and significant cameos by Alta´r.

That's also why AC3 is my least favorite. RatonhnhakÚ:ton is, by far, the worst written, most inconsistent, and horribly acted significant character in all of Assassin's Creed. I played through it again recently and it's just sad, especially since the writing and acting for Haytham and KaniehtÝ:io were so excellent (the latter's voice actor replacement in The Tyranny of King Washington made dialogue/cutscenes in that game almost unbearable).

playlisting
02-15-2014, 04:42 PM
Good thread, and kind of a tough question. I'm into the story and characters... their development and reaction to circumstances. In single player games, this is just as important as gameplay if I'm to be invested. By the end of AC2 I wasn't sure I liked Ezio... in fact I'm pretty sure the first time I played through it I finished disliking him quite a bit. It wasn't until he matured during ACB that he was endearing to me.

Since I play for the experience, the story, I've got to go with ACR. Epic development of the history of the Assassins, beautiful end to this franchise's most fleshed out protagonist, and significant cameos by Alta´r.

That's also why AC3 is my least favorite. RatonhnhakÚ:ton is, by far, the worst written, most inconsistent, and horribly acted significant character in all of Assassin's Creed. I played through it again recently and it's just sad, especially since the writing and acting for Haytham and KaniehtÝ:io were so excellent (the latter's voice actor replacement in The Tyranny of King Washington made dialogue/cutscenes in that game almost unbearable).

I see a lot of people that really liked Revelations and I can't seem to understand why. The instant I played den defence I got tired of the game. I couldn't bear the thought of having to do that again. Also I found Constantinople to be very dull and dreary. Did you enjoy the game despite the setting or did you think it was a nice place to explore? The main thing that I liked in that game was the hook-blade. I thought that was a nice addition and it made climbing considerably faster.

guidomista
02-15-2014, 04:54 PM
Also I found Constantinople to be very dull and dreary. Did you enjoy the game despite the setting or did you think it was a nice place to explore?
I found it quite interesting scenario. Colorful, very irregular buildings and streets.
And the bazar was nice. Also the mosquees and Galata tower.

This is the list of SP scenario, order by the best, IMO:

AC2
ACB
ACR
AC4
AC
AC3

I put AC4 before AC only because their views are wonderful. Even if it hasn't first chapeter atmpsphere...

bye

Dome500
02-15-2014, 05:51 PM
I see a lot of people that really liked Revelations and I can't seem to understand why. The instant I played den defence I got tired of the game. I couldn't bear the thought of having to do that again. Also I found Constantinople to be very dull and dreary. Did you enjoy the game despite the setting or did you think it was a nice place to explore? The main thing that I liked in that game was the hook-blade. I thought that was a nice addition and it made climbing considerably faster.

I personally really liked the setting. It was a multicultural melting pot, it was the center of the world back there and it was refreshingly foreign to me.

Also, I really liked the Master Assassins stuff and the missions with your assassins.

I agree that tower defense was horrible (especially since you HAD to do it once you were notorious) and that the bomb system was a little redundant (except for the distraction bombs, I actually wished myself a distraction tool since AC1).

But the overall story was cool.

Ezio searches for wisdom, for a better overview of the conflict. For reasons to keep going.
It was kind of a journey in the pursuit of himself I think, to find out what he wants, why he is still fighting this fight, what sense it all has.

That was also the first time that we saw the Templars were not really evil. In Revelations they lost their way, trying to find direction to the great Temple, trying to find out why and how to keep fighting.

I liked it very much.
A very good ending for the best protagonist (IMO) the franchise has.

Also that last scene where he speaks about his live was just awesome.

"I have lived my life as best I could, not knowing its purpose, but drawn forward like a moth to a distant moon; and here at last, I discover a strange truth. That I am only a conduit, for a message that eludes my understanding."

Just amazing....

(despite gameplay flaws).

playlisting
02-15-2014, 06:01 PM
I personally really liked the setting. It was a multicultural melting pot, it was the center of the world back there and it was refreshingly foreign to me.

Also, I really liked the Master Assassins stuff and the missions with your assassins.

I agree that tower defense was horrible (especially since you HAD to do it once you were notorious) and that the bomb system was a little redundant (except for the distraction bombs, I actually wished myself a distraction tool since AC1).

But the overall story was cool.

Ezio searches for wisdom, for a better overview of the conflict. For reasons to keep going.
It was kind of a journey in the pursuit of himself I think, to find out what he wants, why he is still fighting this fight, what sense it all has.

That was also the first time that we saw the Templars were not really evil. In Revelations they lost their way, trying to find direction to the great Temple, trying to find out why and how to keep fighting.

I liked it very much.
A very good ending for the best protagonist (IMO) the franchise has.

Also that last scene where he speaks about his live was just awesome.

"I have lived my life as best I could, not knowing its purpose, but drawn forward like a moth to a distant moon; and here at last, I discover a strange truth. That I am only a conduit, for a message that eludes my understanding."

Just amazing....

(despite gameplay flaws).

It's a shame I didn't like the setting as the story sounds excellent. It was also the fact that there was no posters around to lower your notoriety. It is difficult to become incognito again. I hate having to go around handing out money to heralds, plus since I didn't like den defence the issue was doubly annoying to me. I think they might have made it more difficult to become incognito so that you were made to play den defence more. Not sure of that but that's my opinion and if it's true, it's really a shame they done it. I thoroughly enjoyed AC II and Brotherhood so it's annoying that I can't like the third so I can completely understand Ezio's story. I guess I'll have to resort to reading a plot summary and watching the ending on YouTube.

guidomista
02-15-2014, 06:18 PM
A minor spoiler

Actually ACR show us the end of Altair. I liked it a lot.
But the precious ending of Ezio is in Assassin's Creed Embers.
I cryed watching it. Really!

bye

Dome500
02-15-2014, 07:32 PM
It's a shame I didn't like the setting as the story sounds excellent. It was also the fact that there was no posters around to lower your notoriety. It is difficult to become incognito again. I hate having to go around handing out money to heralds, plus since I didn't like den defence the issue was doubly annoying to me. I think they might have made it more difficult to become incognito so that you were made to play den defence more. Not sure of that but that's my opinion and if it's true, it's really a shame they done it. I thoroughly enjoyed AC II and Brotherhood so it's annoying that I can't like the third so I can completely understand Ezio's story. I guess I'll have to resort to reading a plot summary and watching the ending on YouTube.

Either that or buy it on a Steam Sale with 75% off.

playlisting
02-15-2014, 07:52 PM
Either that or buy it on a Steam Sale with 75% off.

I have the game now, I just didn't enjoy it so I stopped playing it.

Dome500
02-15-2014, 08:10 PM
I have the game now, I just didn't enjoy it so I stopped playing it.

I would give it another chance.

My best advice:

Train your Assassins up to rank 10 and let them become Master Assassins as soon as possible making the Assassin Missions.
Once you did that you can assign Maser Assassins to defend the Towers and you will never have to play Tower defense after that point.

I did it pretty early in the game and looked at my notoriety level and I think in my last playthrough I had about 2 or 3 times of Tower Defense in the beginning. Not More.

Also helping is if you do not conquer all the Towers so soon, but first build Assassins up to rank 9 and then conquer another area.

Then you can get them to rank 10 and make the first Mission with them.

It's 2 missions each Assassin (I think it's 7 Assassins for 7 Towers).

If you Assign them every once in a while while playing then you should have no problem training most of them to rank 10 and then to rank 15 within 2 days with several hours of gameplay.

playlisting
02-15-2014, 09:48 PM
I would give it another chance.

My best advice:

Train your Assassins up to rank 10 and let them become Master Assassins as soon as possible making the Assassin Missions.
Once you did that you can assign Maser Assassins to defend the Towers and you will never have to play Tower defense after that point.

I did it pretty early in the game and looked at my notoriety level and I think in my last playthrough I had about 2 or 3 times of Tower Defense in the beginning. Not More.

Also helping is if you do not conquer all the Towers so soon, but first build Assassins up to rank 9 and then conquer another area.

Then you can get them to rank 10 and make the first Mission with them.

It's 2 missions each Assassin (I think it's 7 Assassins for 7 Towers).

If you Assign them every once in a while while playing then you should have no problem training most of them to rank 10 and then to rank 15 within 2 days with several hours of gameplay.

Will probably reinstall the next time I get a week or two off. Thanks for the tips! (:

AlyoshaCephas
02-16-2014, 04:51 PM

I would recommend you try and play through it again if you're a fan of the story... so much happens for Ezio and Alta´r. Even though I'm with you on den defense I still loved the game. In fact, I've only ever played it three times: the forced instance on both playthroughs and once more (repeatedly) for the achievement. So I would echo the advice to avoid den defense. I made sure to train up master assassins ASAP to avoid having to ever do it. You gain notoriety quickly, but it's so easy to earn money and there is so little to spend it on that I just made a habit of killing witnesses and paying off heralds all the time. I also didn't care for bombs, but they were never necessary beyond a handful of 100% sync restraints and those were never a big deal.

And I loved the setting. I found it a refreshing change from the previous two with Ezio and absolutely beautiful. Climbing minarets was a blast. I've also been to Istanbul/Constantinople and particularly love the architecture and culture there, so that may add to my love for it, but it was rather alive to me, never dull or dreary. Sorry you found it that way.

But as I also said, but really sold me on it all was the development of characters and story. I would strongly suggest giving it another shot. In addition to what was said above, just don't advance the story memories too quickly. Focus on buying up stores so you can easily pay off heralds and buy the latest gear when it's available. Train up master assassins as a priority (easy to just send the first 2-3 you get together then plug a high level in with a lower level to 'powerlevel' new recruits).

playlisting
02-16-2014, 08:48 PM
I would recommend you try and play through it again if you're a fan of the story... so much happens for Ezio and Alta´r. Even though I'm with you on den defense I still loved the game. In fact, I've only ever played it three times: the forced instance on both playthroughs and once more (repeatedly) for the achievement. So I would echo the advice to avoid den defense. I made sure to train up master assassins ASAP to avoid having to ever do it. You gain notoriety quickly, but it's so easy to earn money and there is so little to spend it on that I just made a habit of killing witnesses and paying off heralds all the time. I also didn't care for bombs, but they were never necessary beyond a handful of 100% sync restraints and those were never a big deal.

And I loved the setting. I found it a refreshing change from the previous two with Ezio and absolutely beautiful. Climbing minarets was a blast. I've also been to Istanbul/Constantinople and particularly love the architecture and culture there, so that may add to my love for it, but it was rather alive to me, never dull or dreary. Sorry you found it that way.

But as I also said, but really sold me on it all was the development of characters and story. I would strongly suggest giving it another shot. In addition to what was said above, just don't advance the story memories too quickly. Focus on buying up stores so you can easily pay off heralds and buy the latest gear when it's available. Train up master assassins as a priority (easy to just send the first 2-3 you get together then plug a high level in with a lower level to 'powerlevel' new recruits).

I love Ezio's story. I've never played as Altair properly apart from that one bit in AC II though I do plan to play the first AC so that I've completed them all. I will most likely give it another go the next time I get a week or so off. There are just little things that annoy me about the game. I made a habit of making sure I had 0 notoriety constantly during AC II and Brotherhood so it's a little bit annoying having to see the red when I'm just running around. Plus since buying shops and collecting revenue is the primary way of building up money it kind of annoys me that your notoriety rises substantially whenever you buy a shop. I'll do my best to enjoy it though because I'd like to see what happens to Ezio in the end.

Ureh
02-16-2014, 09:01 PM
I guess another way to avoid the den defense is to make sure your notoriety never reaches max.

Dome500
02-17-2014, 01:43 AM
I love Ezio's story. I've never played as Altair properly apart from that one bit in AC II though I do plan to play the first AC so that I've completed them all. I will most likely give it another go the next time I get a week or so off. There are just little things that annoy me about the game. I made a habit of making sure I had 0 notoriety constantly during AC II and Brotherhood so it's a little bit annoying having to see the red when I'm just running around. Plus since buying shops and collecting revenue is the primary way of building up money it kind of annoys me that your notoriety rises substantially whenever you buy a shop. I'll do my best to enjoy it though because I'd like to see what happens to Ezio in the end.

Yeah, like the other poster said, try making a habit of killing witnesses and bribing heralds on your way to the side missions or to earn more money.

What I did is, I always did a main mission, send assassins on contracts, continued with the story. Etc. etc.
About half way into the story you'll have some decent Assassins and then you can start liberating areas and assigning Assassins to it.

I know it's annoying, but the story of Ezio, and also the story of Altair which are both told in Revelations are just too good to miss them.

playlisting
02-17-2014, 03:10 AM
Yeah, like the other poster said, try making a habit of killing witnesses and bribing heralds on your way to the side missions or to earn more money.

What I did is, I always did a main mission, send assassins on contracts, continued with the story. Etc. etc.
About half way into the story you'll have some decent Assassins and then you can start liberating areas and assigning Assassins to it.

I know it's annoying, but the story of Ezio, and also the story of Altair which are both told in Revelations are just too good to miss them.

I'll make sure I do that when I play through it. Thanks for the tips (: