PDA

View Full Version : This is the DUMBEST way I've ever seen to gain speed.

DJTHED
02-06-2014, 05:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrXIsQJJg-M

You can't watch that and tell me this was intentional programming. The speed you get comes out of NOWHERE. I've already sent a ticket to Ubi about this, and so has all of my buddies over on the Wii U version. I suggest you, the reader, to submit a ticket as well. This HAS to get fixed.

https://support.ubi.com/en-US/AskQuestion.aspx

MrMiyagi76
02-06-2014, 11:27 AM
I'm with you with this. I really hope this is getting fixed. I accept this brakeboost move as being a glitch similar to strafe/circlejumping in the Quake games. But this one above is simply ridiculous.
If I consider how much Ubisoft actually cares for our issues, I'm afraid this will stay in the game...

At least I see you did'nt kick me out of Diamond with this run. :D ;)

Angwold
02-07-2014, 01:42 AM
Found this months ago, but never thought of using it on speedruns. It was just an utter annoyance when we played the dojos :)

eXtofer
02-07-2014, 02:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrXIsQJJg-M

You can't watch that and tell me this was intentional programming. The speed you get comes out of NOWHERE. I've already sent a ticket to Ubi about this, and so has all of my buddies over on the Wii U version. I suggest you, the reader, to submit a ticket as well. This HAS to get fixed.

https://support.ubi.com/en-US/AskQuestion.aspx

Hey hey, I'm really curious as to how the speed boost was exploited? I noticed that it shows you're playing co-op. Does that somehow contribute to the speed boost? Otherwise, I definitely agree that it seems pretty horrible that this could happen. There are so many other people that wouldn't ever know how to get that boost and maintain it to get a diamond, myself included. :-(

Samuroleon
02-21-2014, 10:27 PM
Hey hey, I'm really curious as to how the speed boost was exploited? I noticed that it shows you're playing co-op. Does that somehow contribute to the speed boost? Otherwise, I definitely agree that it seems pretty horrible that this could happen. There are so many other people that wouldn't ever know how to get that boost and maintain it to get a diamond, myself included. :-(

Yeah it's done by using co-op. That's one of the reasons we don't like it but it's more just because it's so ridiculously unfair. Nobody on Wii U uses it anymore tho

MrMiyagi76
03-11-2014, 02:56 PM
Yeah it's done by using co-op. That's one of the reasons we don't like it but it's more just because it's so ridiculously unfair. Nobody on Wii U uses it anymore tho

Seems like some players start using it on PC now. If more and more people use this, you are forced to use it, too, if you want to stay competitive and gain Diamond Cups.
I don't like how this develops.

foxerryan
03-11-2014, 07:23 PM
Hmm yeah I was wondering how some people were beating my times on speed runs... figured there was some move that I didn't know about because it was impossible I kept trying over and over with conventional moves and finally did an absolutely perfect run which was still a couple seconds slower than the elite group.

caneofpacci
03-11-2014, 10:49 PM
... figured there was some move that I didn't know about because it was impossible I kept trying over and over with conventional moves and finally did an absolutely perfect run which was still a couple seconds slower than the elite group.

The video shown above is for a trick typically called 'co-op boosting'. This trick doesn't always save time over a single player run though on some days has potential to save considerable time. Co-op boosting is highly frowned upon on the Wii-U version. (I would discourage it for traditional solo speed challenges. It makes sense to use it in co-op runs of dojo's and lum gathering challenges) You're probably more interested in learning about a technique called 'break boosting'. I'll give you a brief introduction to it.
In short, how you do it is

1) run in place briefly (less than 0.5 seconds, typically less than 0.1 seconds)
2) spin dash
3) quickly let go of your directional input (analogue or d-pad) (aka neutral sliding)
at this point if you've done it right you can spontaneously gain speed
4) (optional) tap down for another boost and then jump as close to tapping down as possible to prevent losing speed from friction

~ The Different Variations of Break Boosting ~
I'm going to assign some names here though I think for the most part this is what these are generally refereed to as.
- (Normal) Break Boosting - This is quite often done at the start of levels before you even move at all. Kick the level off with extra speed. This is also done later in the level, often prefaced with a down smash to halt your momentum. Once you're stopped it operates exactly the same.
- Wind Boosting (aka DAT WIND) - Break boost in upward drafts of wind. It highly amplifies the affect of break boosting. (horizontal wind is also good but I don't recall it being quite as good as upward wind)
- Skid Boosting - Instead of completely stopping with a down smash, you can let friction stop you while neutral sliding (not pressing a direction but letting momentum push you along). You can then break boost after being stopped for a few frames (1 frame = 1/60th of a second). This can be faster than down smashing to set up a break boost in some applications because of the amount of time it takes to perform those tasks. Its a very obscure break boost but can definitely be useful.

~ Useful Videos ~
- The first recorded break boost: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqOZvRcXzYQ
- The 10/3/14 lotld speed weekly challenge (this weeks): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB8KHaWgJzk
- Here is a compilation of runs I made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjpK7am7vgw
This has several lotld challenges and is able to show off all the different variations of break boosting. (Includes a challenge from a few weeks ago with a skid-wind boost)
- When Toads Fly Invaded in 0'17"61 by SuperKell (WiiU): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NAaH7ck5Rg

Once you get the hang of it, it really opens up the possibilities for how fast lotld speed challenges can be done. Also it should be important to note that break boosting isn't always the best way to get speed. There are many other ways to gain/preserve momentum which can be used to get through the challenges at top speed. Good luck :)

KomoryTomory
03-12-2014, 03:19 AM
Sorry but could you try too explaining this a little bit better, I still don't know what too do. And I try it for like 20 minutes. Sorry but English isnít my mother language so itís kind of hard to understand.
For example what did you do after that three steps, when can I push right after I let the input go? I never gain extra speed by doing that.
Run in place briefly? What does that mean? Just pressing R/L for Running?
Can you train this in the Stage select over world, that would help a lot?
Is this trick possible with all character or just with some? Like Globox or Rayman sometimes in Murphy levels. I would like too use my beloved Selena if possible.
When you say spin dash, you mean the Running Attack right, not the ground pound like in the first video? The ground pound is just a help to do step1, right?

Letís just call the 4 Comments Moving (in 4 directions), Jumping, Attack and Running, that way it works for anybody on every plat

So I press Running without Moving then I push Moving Right and Attack and then I immediately stop moving in any direction, and then? That way I do a neutral sliding, I think I can do that (it's just a faster and longer slide, but that alone isn't faster than dash jumps), but what comes next, I never gain the extra speed, I perform a fast sliding, and nothing else, and if I didn't push Right short after this the break animation begins. So what is the key here? Just the timing? Can't you explain it fully? So just for the directions itís fast None-Right-None-Right??? Did you have any hints? Like trying it till it works or something? What did I do wrong when I perform a normal neutral sliding? Also I didn't understand step 4 at all.

Sorry but I always get Gold, like alwaysÖ never less, never more, mostly at the first try, but never more, once I was at place 60 in a weekly challenge with ca. 50 diamond cups, that was a running challenge and I swore it was as perfect as you can get without using that trick, needed me like 2-3 hours to have one absolute perfect run.

And about Step 4: This is that other trick right? The one when you perform that weird ground sliding roll move by pressing down when landing that normally cost speed but then perform that weird jump that is so fast and look very strange? Obviously, I never fully understand that too.

caneofpacci
03-12-2014, 04:20 AM
I'll try and tackle your questions in a reasonable manor.

Can you train this in the Stage select over world, that would help a lot?
Yes, One good place to do this in is either the daily regular or extreme challenge rooms. There is only one painting that you enter by jumping in front of it so you have lots of empty space to practice in.

Is this trick possible with all character or just with some? Like Globox or Rayman sometimes in Murphy levels. I would like too use my beloved Selena if possible.
Yes. Any character will do. There are minor variations in characters that make specific ones more desirable at times but they are fundamentally almost the same. I almost always use Sybila who is also a Barbara character so you'll be perfectly fine with Selena.

When you say spin dash, you mean the Running Attack right, not the ground pound like in the first video? The ground pound is just a help to do step1, right?
Yeah, spin dash is what I refer to the running attack as.

Run in place briefly? What does that mean? Just pressing R/L for Running?
Yeah, just hold the run button down while standing.

For example what did you do after that three steps, when can I push right after I let the input go? I never gain extra speed by doing that.
After you successfully have done the break boost and are in the accelerated neutral slide (step 3) you will want to jump to preserve momentum. At this point you have your extra speed so you have to work to keep it as long as possible or even increase it. You don't want to press right during the slide cause this will cause you to go into a run causing you to lose your momentum (as you've experienced).

That way I do a neutral sliding, I think I can do that (it's just a faster and longer slide, but that alone isn't faster than dash jumps), but what comes next
This actually sounds like you're doing it right. The reason you get a faster and longer slide than if you were to just dash and then neutral slide is because you have more speed. As soon as you see that you have the fast slide jump. From there its a matter of preserving that momentum as long as possible. Getting the hang of break boosting can be tricky at first but you also have to learn how to maneuver the levels at this speed. If you lose your extra speed than it can easily just end up wasting time.

Also I didn't understand step 4 at all.
Don't worry about this one too much at first. If you have room after the break boost it can often be used to get even more speed but its not necessary (particularly for someone just learning how to break boost properly). Basically when you press down while neutral sliding the action of going into the active slide (whether that is hoping onto your weapon, going into a body slide, etc.) it all has the same effect. You're character does this little hope animation and you get an extra boost of speed. If you jump just as soon as you get the extra boost it can make your break boost even better. Not necessary but this definitely is useful.

Hopefully that'll clear some stuff up for you. Another good place to practice is in upward draft wind. Though its not useful, this week's weekly has some wind that you could do it in. Since wind has a more pronounced impact upon your speed it'll be more clear if you did it somewhat properly. There are many things that affect how much speed you get from the break boost. It would take quite a bit to try and explain everything but you should at least be able to get a hang of doing a weaker break boost from this. Though it will take time to master doing it properly.
Also I don't think I mentioned it in my previous post but break boosting down hills gives more speed than on flat ground. Pretty intuitive but I'll mention it anyways.

KomoryTomory
03-12-2014, 04:58 AM
Thank you very much

OK thanks that really helps, so as soon I push right I loose the momentum? That’s very helpful, so I was doing it all wrong by trying to push right after the slide.

Wow that's a real challenge and so different from what you normally would do. And when you jump immediately after landing you can keep that momentum, I already figured that out but I didn't know that it can be abused so usefully, normally it was just necessary for that stupid tiny platform when the Forward level starts repenting itself, I hate that platform.

Oh and one question I would like to ask when you are so talented in that game. In the How far can you get Murphy levels (on WiiU only i think), always everyone die at the exact same place (at least anybody how get gold), that thing with the 3 platforms and the wind where whatever you do you die, even if you manage to push yourself over that thing you die after the next one, I tried it so often, but it feels like the right answer would be that the character would use jump itself a second time (maybe third time), but he never wants to do that. Sometimes the Murphy levels feels like real luck. Someone posted in a YouTube video that there are multiple ways to get thru this, one that works would be enough for me. Did you have a strategy for that? Sometimes at weekly you can see that 100 meter more would be diamond, so everybody die at the exact same place.

foxerryan
03-12-2014, 06:23 PM
@caneofpacci

Thanks for the tips.

So far the only way I have found to gain speed is to spin dash and then immediately jump while running. But i'll start practicing what you've shown and explained.

ApoK_13
03-17-2014, 08:45 PM
That's why i didn't buy the Wii U version and the second unfair thing is, for Ps4 too, if u dont have a buddy or two controllers, u miss a lot of records, like in the dojo..that really suck and i lose podium easily when it comes to win with playing that second controller. Others challenges included. Hope they will disabled that or maybe keep the second controller but dont count it for challenges.

DJTHED
03-18-2014, 01:13 AM
That's why i didn't buy the Wii U version
What specifically was the reason you didn't get that version? Just curious.

ApoK_13
03-18-2014, 07:40 AM
The fact that you can make such a start with a second player xD

DJTHED
03-18-2014, 08:41 AM
Oh, that's possible on all versions of the game (Not sure about the PS4 or Xbone version, but I'd assume it works there to), it's not Wii U exclusive. :p

MrMiyagi76
03-18-2014, 04:56 PM
That's true. PS4 & XB1 have co-op start, too.

So go and get the PC version. It's cheap as hell and good competitors like you are always welcome. :)

ApoK_13
03-18-2014, 05:22 PM
For the moment i ve never seen someone use it on ps4...xD

TheDaBombs
03-18-2014, 11:46 PM
For the moment i ve never seen someone used it on ps4...xD

Same here. I haven't seen a single person use this method of gaining speed yet on the PS4 version. That's a good thing, too!

MrMiyagi76
03-19-2014, 10:05 AM
I hope it stays this way.
But sooner or later someone will start using this.
For Co-Op Dojo's it's a pretty good tool when playing with 3 people.
But (for me) it has no business in the LotLD solo challenges.

ApoK_13
03-19-2014, 01:20 PM
I hope it stays this way.
But sooner or later someone will start using this.
For Co-Op Dojo's it's a pretty good tool when playing with 3 people.
But (for me) it has no business in the LotLD solo challenges.

Waaaat ? You can play 3 players in the Dojo ?? That's why they have crazy timing, i can imagine doing it with 3 players...**** :-(

MrMiyagi76
03-19-2014, 05:37 PM
Actually you can play with 4 people. On WiiU even 5.

DJTHED
03-19-2014, 06:26 PM
That's why I enjoy dojos on the Vita a lot more, it's the only version of this game that doesn't have co-op in the challenges mode.

chelseayn
05-25-2014, 03:43 PM
@caneofpacci--this has been quite enlightening and awesome to see your speed runs. I wonder, does this apply to the PS3 as well? I have been trying it and can't seem to get it--maybe I will have to have my boyfriend try--he is better at pushing the buttons super-fast compared to me. Anyway, worth some practicing. I have to figure out the air one!

hassook
06-08-2014, 01:36 PM
1) run in place briefly (less than 0.5 seconds, typically less than 0.1 seconds)
2) spin dash
3) quickly let go of your directional input (analogue or d-pad) (aka neutral sliding)
at this point if you've done it right you can spontaneously gain speed
4) (optional) tap down for another boost and then jump as close to tapping down as possible to prevent losing speed from friction

Need some help in that break boost, I Have been trying for days but never once succeeded, once the the challenge starts i press the run first and the spin dash after i release the d-pad and then jump the speed wont increase, any tips?

caneofpacci
06-26-2014, 12:48 AM
I made a video explaining how to brake boost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy9SjQOpu_4