PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering (still)...OFFICIAL sys. req's?

Geodude
05-15-2004, 10:25 PM
I thought that an "official" statement on PF system requirements would be made at E3...since it has come and gone, has anyone seen it yet (although I'm afraid I'll be waaaaay below what's needed)?

Geodude
05-15-2004, 10:25 PM
I thought that an "official" statement on PF system requirements would be made at E3...since it has come and gone, has anyone seen it yet (although I'm afraid I'll be waaaaay below what's needed)?

heywooood
05-15-2004, 10:33 PM
You're not the only one, bro.

This is one of THE questions...no doubt.

Burnin_777_AVG
05-15-2004, 10:53 PM
Guys,

it's built upon the FB engine, so logic tells you that whatever you run FB on successfully will run PF in a similar fashion. The only issue will be the new water effect. If cranked up all the way which was the case at E3. Your frame rates will decrease a bit. It's always a good idea to purchase the best computer you can afford.

BV

heywooood
05-15-2004, 11:21 PM
Right - Bv, the water issue is a big one.

I guess the right way to ask this is ... what will look acceptible, while maintaining good frame rates. I know it is a mixture of money, system management and the optimal components, not to mention individual taste. What am I willing to compromise in order to take advantage of what I can afford. I am also at the low end of the equipment spectrum as I have said before now and $ is tight. Perhaps a suggestion as to the optimal equipment vs the (in your opinion or some other qualified individual) absolute least... remember - you guys have the advantage of having flown the product in its current state and are aware of the extras yet to be added in, so your input or suggestions will carry weight.

This question will be asked by people here until it is answered satisfactorily - if that is possible.

My post in this thread was really intended to give some response to the question as it was asked by a newcomer.. no one had given any love to Geodude and I didn't have anything else to say http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

fordfan25
05-16-2004, 12:03 AM
im sure its going to take more pc than f.b. on avg. due to the fact the battles will be large in that your going to be dealing with ships and tons of aa. if you just plan on only using quick mission builder and just have a set # of planes then i would think it would be about the same as f.b but playing the campagns and stuff will be hard on cpu. as i said in another post a cpu speed of about 1.6 to 2.0 p4 or amd of same class would prob be as slow as youll go and still have half way decent fps.im deff. no expert just throwing in what little iv learnd from the past year or two with f.b of course some pepole have better luck with low pcs than i do.

fordfan25
05-16-2004, 12:03 AM
im sure its going to take more pc than f.b. on avg. due to the fact the battles will be large in that your going to be dealing with ships and tons of aa. if you just plan on only using quick mission builder and just have a set # of planes then i would think it would be about the same as f.b but playing the campagns and stuff will be hard on cpu. as i said in another post a cpu speed of about 1.6 to 2.0 p4 or amd of same class would prob be as slow as youll go and still have half way decent fps.im deff. no expert just throwing in what little iv learnd from the past year or two with f.b of course some pepole have better luck with low pcs than i do.

Texas LongHorn
05-16-2004, 07:43 AM
I feel your pain guys. For years I struggled with a 500 Pentium III. EAW still runs great though, and the box has two Voodoo II's in SLI <ggg.> The Lovely Wife had decided the children needed things more than my computer- imagine the thought. Just about seven eight months ago I was able to buy an extreme handbuilt PC ( a Falcon NorthWest Mach V,) and the FBAces engine still can bring it somewhat to its knees in some situations. Not literally freezing the framerate, but enough to see a stutter. Mind you, this is with a 3.2 P4, a gig of fast Corsair DDR RAM, two SATA drives in RAID 0 on an 800FSB ASUS and a 256M ATI 9800 Pro!!!!!!! The good news is that now only seven months later you coudd build a similer rig for about a Grand. That's not too bad even for a simmer on a budget. Buy a drive here and a memory stick there and the average guy can build a pretty ripping PC for a price that won't break the bank or have the Wife proceeding with divorce and the kids hungry <ggg.> LongHorn

http://img49.photobucket.com/albums/v149/msdavis/My_Sig_Image2.jpg

stansdds
05-16-2004, 09:10 AM
I am still struggling with a P-III-550E, Voodoo 3-2000 and only 128 MB PC-100 RAM. I am going to wait until the end of the year before buying or building a new system. Rumor is that high end P-IV prices will drop by then as the next generation of CPU's hits the market.

ucanfly
05-16-2004, 01:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stansdds:
I am still struggling with a P-III-550E, Voodoo 3-2000 and only 128 MB PC-100 RAM. I am going to wait until the end of the year before buying or building a new system. Rumor is that high end P-IV prices will drop by then as the next generation of CPU's hits the market.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OMG I feel your pain! A while ago I upgraded my Dell PIII 500MHZ with Voodoo3 to a 1.4 GHZ Celeron (powerleap) with GF4Ti4200 before I bought FB. I remember that even the Il2 demo didn't run very well on my old setup. FB runs on the new one OK but I have serious doubts that it'll be happy with PF. I too am holding my breath for the true system, reqs on this new title, as I can't justify spending one more cent on this or any other rig for a while.

Crossing fingers.

Geodude
05-16-2004, 07:35 PM
So...I take it that there's no OFFICIAL word yet? I would assume that if it truly was the same requirements as FB, one of the developers would have said so. I wonder why the silence...unless they just don't know yet, due to its being in development...