PDA

View Full Version : Help regarding choosing a plane

XyZspineZyX
10-02-2003, 04:42 PM
Hello forum readers,

Yet again I ask for your help. Unfortunately, my search for a flight instructor has so far been unsucesfull. I have had people give me advice on certain aspects of the game, as well as background reading on the subject of WWII planes. It still leaves me ignorant of how to avoid spins and stalls (my most common cause of death). So far the sugestions for a plane I should use to start with have been La7, La5, YAK3 and P40. Unfortunately, all of these lack something.

So, I was hopping if I list certain criteria, mybe you all could sugest a plane to me.

I need a plane that does not stall as easy, I can never recover from a spin, hell, I don't even know how a stall is caused. I am assuming it's lack of speed during a maneuver which leaves the plane falling instead of climbing? It has been my experience YAK is prety good at this.

Unfortunately, I miss a lot too, so I need a plane with a lot less recoil than the YAK. I found P40 best suited to my shooting style (lots of ammo, probability is I'll hit something sooner or later). However the P40 stalls so easy, and is not very maneuverable.

So please, feel free to sugest something to me.

Another thing, I have been trying to figure out how exactly all these dog fighters can match a planes speed so well? I keep finding myself overshooting my target, ending up my 6 at their 12. Not a nice place to be, let me add. Reducing throtle does nothing in the short time frame I am given. I assume flaps would so it, but I find they get damaged quite often from using them at high speeds.

Again, lease, comments and tips are very welcome. I'm very interested in learning how to play this game, and am doing my best not to get frustrated too easy =)

LLMerc

XyZspineZyX
10-02-2003, 04:42 PM
Hello forum readers,

Yet again I ask for your help. Unfortunately, my search for a flight instructor has so far been unsucesfull. I have had people give me advice on certain aspects of the game, as well as background reading on the subject of WWII planes. It still leaves me ignorant of how to avoid spins and stalls (my most common cause of death). So far the sugestions for a plane I should use to start with have been La7, La5, YAK3 and P40. Unfortunately, all of these lack something.

So, I was hopping if I list certain criteria, mybe you all could sugest a plane to me.

I need a plane that does not stall as easy, I can never recover from a spin, hell, I don't even know how a stall is caused. I am assuming it's lack of speed during a maneuver which leaves the plane falling instead of climbing? It has been my experience YAK is prety good at this.

Unfortunately, I miss a lot too, so I need a plane with a lot less recoil than the YAK. I found P40 best suited to my shooting style (lots of ammo, probability is I'll hit something sooner or later). However the P40 stalls so easy, and is not very maneuverable.

So please, feel free to sugest something to me.

Another thing, I have been trying to figure out how exactly all these dog fighters can match a planes speed so well? I keep finding myself overshooting my target, ending up my 6 at their 12. Not a nice place to be, let me add. Reducing throtle does nothing in the short time frame I am given. I assume flaps would so it, but I find they get damaged quite often from using them at high speeds.

Again, lease, comments and tips are very welcome. I'm very interested in learning how to play this game, and am doing my best not to get frustrated too easy =)

LLMerc

XyZspineZyX
10-02-2003, 05:34 PM
Nice to get some fresh blood into this game!

Stalling can occur in two different ways:
- You fly too slownly, and the wings doesn't generate enough lift.
- You do a too sharp manouver, this will cause the airflow to lose contact with the wing, you lose all control surfaces and if one wing stalls before the other, enter a spin.

To recover from a spin, I've found that applying maximum rudder and aileron to the oppsite direction of the spin can help. This is true if you spin with the nose pointed roughly down. If you enter a flat spin it is almost impossible to recover and you should jump as fast as possible. A flat spin is when the plane is spinning with the belly down and wings aligned with the ground.

As for plane choice I would not recommend the P-40, P-47, Bf-109 or Fw-190 as your first planes. These are very easy to spin with. I think you should focus on piloting first, then as you get better you will also be able to aim better. Personally I still have some problems at actually hitting my target. I can't help you with a specific plane, as everyone will have their own favourites. When I was new I mostly flew the Hurricane mostly the mk.IIc version. Now I fly almost everything, but I mostly fly the Yak-3, and the La-5FN.

To avoid overshooting an enemy plane you can use different methods. Common for all these is estimating the speed of your enemy. When you find that he/she is flying slower than your plane you have to change your own tactic. Trying to attack from the rear immiatly is not good, as braking is generaly not a good idea.
A common tactic is to use the speed advantage to climb above your enemy and then dive down on it. Then as you pass it you climb up again to avoid getting it on your tail. After that you can dive once more, until the enemy is destroyed. Generally having height and speed advantage is one of the main keys to winning dogfights.
This same tactic can be used against bombers. The biggest problem with it is that you have very little time to shoot at your opponent.

You can also do some sharp turns, this will cause you speed to drop and you can match the speed of your enemy.

Do you fly Online, and if so on ubi.com or HyperLobby? What name do you use? If you see me Online, feel free to ask me about flying tips and I can see how you fly to help you more. Just remember that I am not in the top class of pilots myself so I get shot down more times than I shoot someone down.

If there is more you wonder about feel free to ask.

-Zlatzman

XyZspineZyX
10-02-2003, 05:54 PM
The most forgiving plane I have found in the game is the b-239. It recovers well from stalls as well. This comes in usefull when I am flying http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Stan Cox

XyZspineZyX
10-02-2003, 05:55 PM
Well, I wouldn't say I fly online, I sort of try to =) I pop into Ubi.com, not sure what HyperLoby is even =) Name is LLMerc. And thanks for the advice, I guess I just gota keep chugging at it. I'm slowly getting used to using prop pitch and fuel mixture, but I forget way too often. Hell, I forget to bring my flaps up fter take off even.

LLmerc

XyZspineZyX
10-03-2003, 08:27 AM
We all forget stuff from time to time.

HyperLobby is a different place to fly online, it is a bit more popular that ubi.com, and there is more organized play, like COOP's. To check it out go to: http://hyperfighter.jinak.cz/

Personally I mostly fly there. (To register just download the program and try to log in, all registering is made from the program)

Hope I see you Online!
-Zlatzman

XyZspineZyX
10-03-2003, 08:48 AM
The correct method of recovery from a spin is as follows:

a) check alt, below 500m GET OUT NOW (unless your very confident of recovery)

b) close the throttle

c) move stick forward for a nose down approach

Some aircraft will recover at this point, if not then carry on with points d + e

d) apply full opposite rudder (if yuor spinning clockwise you put in full left rudder and vice versa

e) if all else fails continue doing the above but open the throttle up steadily

XyZspineZyX
10-03-2003, 09:44 AM
TB-3!

XyZspineZyX
10-03-2003, 09:53 AM
It's hard to teach someone to fly in FB. Just like the real world once you get the basics, and pickup on a few standard manuevers it's all then just a matter of experience.

First thing first is whatever aircraft you pick learn to fly it first. First you learn to fly, and then worry about dogfighting, and shooting.
Get in the Quick Mission Builder, and don't even add enemy planes. Pick whatever plane you want, and just fly it around. Do touch and goes, low level flight, practice climbing. 100% power and pointing the nose up doesn't make for the best climb. You have to find what works for each aircraft. Same with turning without stalling. Every aircraft is different. You have to learn what airspeed it turns best at, and it's advantages.

Basically until you can dogfight without thinking about dogfighting you won't be able to out fly a good opponent. Eventually after a long enough time of online play it'll become instinct.

In the training video that comes with FB they gave a very simple invaluable tip. "Pick a spot where you think the enemy will be, and fly to it."

Meaning don't just fly straight at them. Look at what they're doing, and predict where they're going to be.

For example I'm in a 109 and I dive on a P-39. Suddenly he banks off hard to the left. I don't want to try to hold him in my sights through the entire dive. So I'll adjust considering my speed, and his. So that when I'm in firing range he'll be flying right through my sights.

Most of that is just feel though and I still mess it up even after weeks of offline, and online practice.

Thats all it is practice practice practice. If I could show you everything I know you would show little to no improvement. You simply have to fly, and fly, and fly.

When you want to practice shooting set up QMB with the enemies guns empty. Want to practice for online dogfighting set the computer difficulty to full, and the AI to Ace. Yet even at ace it doesn't compare to flying against human opponents.

I've been at it for about a month now, and I've got a lot of previous flightsim experience as well as real flight experience. Only just now I'm I reaching a point where I can give more than a take. Yet even still I may get shot down 8 times, and only get 9 or 10 kills. All in all thats not too bad as when I first started I'd die 20 times, and get maybe 1 or 2 kills.

Every take-off is optional, but every landing is mandatory!

XyZspineZyX
10-03-2003, 10:11 AM
Classicaero gave a excellent little checklist for recovering from a developed spin. I think you would prefer to avoid spining though.
Spins are cause when the air is not flowing properly over the wings of your aircraft. This can be cause by insufficient speed, in which case you litteraly fall out of the air into a spin. They may also be cause by turning to hard, increasing your angle of attack AOA, so much that the airflow over the wing gets broken up. In this case your wing will turn into a airbrake and you will lose speed and go into a spin.
To prevent spins it is wise to be gentle, yet firm, with the stick. Do not do sudden movements or yank the stick about like it was a toy. Once you have firmly and delibberately set yourself into a turn pay attention. Once you are turning to hard the airflow will start to break up over the wings and this disrupted air will start hitting your tailfins causing vibration a buffeting. Once you notice the shaking you are hemoraging speed and inviting a stall. Uncoordinated turns or slamming the rudder aroun in a turn will also send you into a spin.
While it is nice to have the checklist to go through while learning it is much better to learn to anticipate and prevent spins. Once you start recognising stalls approaching you should learn to stop them before they develop into a spin. As soon as that wing drops release the back preasure and a little rudder and you will be on your way again barely a half second later.
Yes I remembered having trouble with overshooting when I first started as well. It went away with time. If your really going to fast the just try to line up for a slashing attack having your target breeze on through your fire while you keep that precious E and return up and out of harms way. If your a little to slow cutting the throttle helps but so does couple quick hard turns. More complexe manuvers would be to YoYo by going up a little, turning while your slower and diving back down on the prey. Or you could do a lag pursuit by turning well outside the targets turn, like running around the outside lane of a track.
As far as plane choice these a very good planes you just need some more hours in the cockpit /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif Then again try them all till you find one you like.

<div align='center'>
<a href='http://greatergreen.com/il2/'>
http://members.shaw.ca/corn/il2sig2.jpg
</a>
</div>