PDA

View Full Version : Base Set Two card list announced this week. Preview event this weekend!

del170109032657
02-03-2014, 03:58 PM
During the month of February we will be releasing information about the upcoming Base Set Two. This new collection of cards will take 300 cards that define Duel of Champions to date and combine them into one new set of cards. Older cards will still be available to play, but more information will be released on this in the future.

http://static2.cdn.ubi.com/MM-DOC/Base_set2.png

Here is what to expect this month:

• Friday, February 7th we will be announcing the 300 cards available in Base Set Two on our Team Stream. JasonParadise and SpaceElephant will be discussing the new set and playing with decks that only feature Base Set Two cards. You can tune in to this broadcast at 3pm Eastern / 9pm Paris on http://www.twitch.tv/duelofchampions

• Saturday, February 8th we invite you to give us feedback on the new base set. We will create a brand new forum discussion topic on both the General Forums and on Reddit. We want YOUR help in thoughts about the Base Set. What are we missing? What seems out of place? We encourage you to create Base Set Two decks and stream discussion about them all day Saturday.

• Your feedback will help us shape the future of DoC. Sharing feedback during this event and you could be chosen to participate in the first ever preview tournament for Base Set Two! We will have plenty of Seals on the line as prizes to jumpstart your Base Set Two decks. The BS2 Preview event will be held on Saturday, February 22nd.

• Every team stream starting February 7th will focus on the upcoming new Base Set. Make sure to tune in for more info about the upcoming changes to the game!

We look forward to your feedback and can’t wait to help evolve DoC in the coming months. Thanks for playing Duel of Champions and we’ll see you this coming Friday on the team stream!

Bazaltovy
02-03-2014, 04:28 PM
I can't sit due to excitement. AWESOME!

SpatulaOfDoom
02-03-2014, 04:31 PM
Happy to hear the announcement of the announcement. I will happily contribute my thoughts on card selection, but to offer the best critique, it may be helpful to know what the "plan" was for the set, and what the team was going for.

jkk89
02-03-2014, 04:55 PM
Will there be some new cards in Base Set 2? How about artworks -> Do U plan to change artworks for some of the older cards?

Kinetic_42
02-03-2014, 05:08 PM
New cards and how this will effect formats I am very curious to hear. As this will have a effect on the Team League planning, I hope this information will be available on Friday :).

planeswalker17
02-03-2014, 05:14 PM
I hope this time we'll have access to information regarding the new WC prices, and eventual changes on the prices of both individual cards and even packs, considering the info previously given was that base set 1 cards would become more rare.

I'm also very interested in knowing about playing formats, and if decks without base 2 cards would be accepted in swisses and JP tournaments. And related to that, if the originals for the reprinted cards are considered as being the same, thus valid for the new formats.

Freyjan
02-03-2014, 05:20 PM
Will there be some new cards in Base Set 2?

This is what I am most curious about. If we have a small ~80 card set followed by a set made up entirely of reprints it would make me a bit sad :/

ZergRusher
02-03-2014, 05:38 PM
Happy to hear the announcement of the announcement. I will happily contribute my thoughts on card selection, but to offer the best critique, it may be helpful to know what the "plan" was for the set, and what the team was going for.

^ this

I'm very exited but the it's of utmost importance that the developers will release their thoughts and reasoning behind upcoming changes.

malkorion
02-03-2014, 05:46 PM
I have a bad feeling about this.

Milky97
02-03-2014, 05:53 PM
I have a bad feeling about this.

Same.

Boke_WE
02-03-2014, 08:16 PM
Let's give em a chance, so excited till Friday stream! cant w8 cant w8 cant w8....

malkorion
02-03-2014, 08:27 PM
I just hope they don't want to make old sets obsolete, forcing us to buy new cards. :( There should always be a Legacy format.

fdxcrlpqp
02-03-2014, 09:04 PM
maybe i'm displaced, but will you present any bug fix too?

makastory
02-03-2014, 09:14 PM
This game definitely needs a change and very soon, especially for players 1500 +; Hopefully we actually see changes to the current metakelthor So Bored!

SpaceElephant
02-03-2014, 10:21 PM
Hi guys, glad to see that you're excited by this announcement of an announcement :D I'm also glad to tell you that our Designer Simon V will join me and Paradise during the stream to explain a few things about Base Set 2.

By the way, we already gathered a lot of questions from you guys, but if you have any question about BS2, post them RIGHT HERE so we'll do our best to answer them!

cheers!
SpaceE

malkorion
02-03-2014, 10:27 PM
This game definitely needs a change and very soon, especially for players 1500 +; Hopefully we actually see changes to the current metakelthor So Bored!

I am more disheartened by the players who lock the game up. At least against Kelthor you can play your game.

planeswalker17
02-03-2014, 10:57 PM
I just hope they don't want to make old sets obsolete, forcing us to buy new cards. :( There should always be a Legacy format.

There should always be a Legacy format in both swiss and JP tournaments (assuming Legacy will become the standard format for normal dueling), because casual players need more time to develop their card collections and they shouldn't be forced out of half the fun in the game.

zapp626
02-03-2014, 11:26 PM
We'll sorry to be so blunt but I guess the main question that everybody is asking might be something like: Will the cards we invested so much time and money into obtaining become obsolete? Is this whole thing just a ripoff to get money from existing players? That is the point why so many have a bad feeling about this. We will know the answer soon, but I guess you can already somewhat calculate the outcry on the 7th.

I personally hope you make the access to heros easier, because they are so insanly hard to get right now and I would love to try some other factions which is impossible right now for a very long time into the game. Well, one can dream.

And also I'm sure you're nice and putting all the good cards into base set 2, so I get only awesome stuff when buying packs... ;)

Alamand
02-03-2014, 11:26 PM
I'm more interested in the UI updates, stability improvements and hopefully some elo system improvements (seriously, stop putting me in matches i get 0-2 elo for winning, it isn't fun) rather than the new card list but rampant speculation can also be fun.

I think it's a pretty safe bet all of the cards in the starter decks will make it into base set 2, which is a bit disappointing since quite a few of them are pretty bad. I also think it's a pretty safe bet prison isn't coming back, and probably cosmic singularity.

Legacy vs base set 2 only is also a pretty tough problem. I doubt the game currently has the playerbase to support split queues for everything, but if nothing is base set 2 only it kind of defeats the purpose of having base set 2 in the first place.

Irgy_
02-03-2014, 11:30 PM
All I want to know is one thing: Which format(s) will be supported in normal duels and tournaments?
I don't even care that much about the cards*, I just want an answer to that question.

My opinions:
Normal duel + "standard" (i.e. Base Set 2) format: Mandatory, in order to practice the standard format
Normal + legacy: Mandatory, in order to practice the legacy format
Swiss + standard: Mandatory to support new players' ability to participate in the future
Swiss + legacy: I could do without this, though I'd have nothing against it existing. It feels like it should have a different prize to the standard format if both exist.
Jackpot + legacy: Very important to have. Jackpot is the most competitive format (outside organised tournaments) and legacy has the strongest decks, making this combination the cream of the crop.
Jackpot + standard: I could do without it, though I admit it would a shame for standard to be missing this most competitive format.

As far as new cards go, I'm really hoping there's none. People who want the meta to be shaken up need to appreciate that they're getting an entirely new format to play with. A bunch of new cards means buying packs of a set I already own most of, skipping the fun part of getting a wealth of new cards in each pack and straight into the frustrating grind for the remaining few.

* I do care about the cards, but only that the new format is well designed. What direction they go I don't have a strong opinion on.

Drake123456
02-03-2014, 11:30 PM
It will be possible to buy pack from previous expansions just like we can have now or all will be merged into one? Becouse I want to make Void premium achiv, and if I would not be able to buy premium VR packs, it won't be possible anymore, or very, very hard.

Duveza
02-03-2014, 11:48 PM
I am eagerly waiting for new information. However, you should the game interface. We should change the heroes of the battlefields. For those scenarios already enjoram. Should have new scenarios for each hero and the option of being able to change them. The letters heroes should have an animation. Would be perfect.

ElkazFATE
02-03-2014, 11:54 PM
Hi,

In my opinion it doesn't matter how many new cards u will add. Nothing gonna change if we cant play with sideboard and BO3 in ranked games.

Now this game its 50%rock>scissors>papper +20%skill +30%luck. I didn't said that DoC is bad game, it have a lot of potential but with current game play it will never be competitive game.

ps. Sorry for my gramma, but im from Poland:P

Marcolian2002
02-04-2014, 04:22 AM
Thanks for the ongoing hard work. New cards and UI are most welcome.
I just have 1 question on my mind: There is a trend that a decreasing no of players are actively playing the game, which can be shown by the no of players taking part in Jackpot. Last Jackpot there're only just over 7000 players. Do you developers think having different formats/ game modes would further dilute the existing players and make waiting between matches even longer?

DowantasaurusRe
02-04-2014, 04:53 AM
I wish I could be happy for this, but for some reason I have a feeling that it means a lot (if not all) of the sets before Base Set 2 are going to "cycle out" and become unplayable in sanctioned tournament settings. I guess it's not as big of a deal since there's literally no way to trade or get cards from a third party source, but it would still leave an incredibly bad taste in my mouth since I only just recently completed my collection.

We'll see what happens on Friday, I guess. This better not turn into some Magic: the Gathering level of money grubbing.

MindVega
02-04-2014, 05:23 AM
With the number of players for this game dwindling with each passing day it's really poor timing to introduce two separate formats (Legacy and Base Set 2) which will only help in further segregating the available pool of players to play against at any given time.

Instead of focusing so much effort on releasing expansion after expansion set aside some budget to do some proper advertising for this game and start growing your player base. And while at it, maybe hire an actual marketing team that knows how to generate profit rather than driving away players. Depending on how things turn out with Base Set 2, this could be the nail in the coffin for mmdoc.

Bottom_Crab
02-04-2014, 08:22 AM
What will happen to achievements based on previous expansions? Will they still be available?
E.g. "Collect all cards from first Base set", "Collect all creature cards from HotV".

Blitz556
02-04-2014, 08:35 AM
This should be exciting! :)

Aza404
02-04-2014, 11:09 AM
Just to clear up some of the more pressing concerns ahead of the stream:
1. Base set 2 is a collection of cards from the previous set.
2. You will be able to chose what set you want to play with.

Enjoy the stream on Friday ;)
Aza

DowantasaurusRe
02-04-2014, 11:28 AM
Aza

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this. Do you mean that when you queue up for a match you'll have to select which set you'll be using and be matched against people using similar sets?

I agree with the poster above who stated that dividing an already diminishing community into two different game modes may not be the best idea. I agree with the sentiment that it's probably a good idea to broaden the base of your players before making such a move. There's an excellent video that I suggest that the developers watch, as it may offer some insight into what they may be able to do to save the game. Free to Play the Wrong Way. (http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1019303/F2P-the-Wrong-Way-Age) The video is presented by Executive Producer Kevin Perry from Microsoft Studios at GDC Europe 2013, and it has to do with the demise of Age of Empires Online. Please keep in mind I'm not trying to condescend, I just think that maybe it might be worth looking into.

Some key notes:

1. Kevin noticed that when they released an expansion to the game that profits would spike for a very brief time and then quickly fade away, and that player interest would only briefly renew. He discovered that basically the same core group of gamers were still playing the game creating a baseline player base, but ultimately not a very profitable one.

2. Kevin realized that it was costing more money to create these big content expansions that only briefly alleviated slumps than they were getting back. He misidentified the problem as one with the business model rather than the production model.

3. With 0 marketing budget to work with, Kevin was forced to turn to the player base to try to get word of mouth going for the game. He was somewhat successful in this, and did it by using social networking sites to try to lead traffic back to the primary forums in an attempt to consolidate the community into a single place rather than spread out over several special interest forums.

Now, I have no idea whether any of these are factors for you guys because I don't have, and never will have, access to your data concerning how much money is being spent, by who, and when, but maybe there might be something in there that can be helpful.

I'm not doing this for attention or to sound smart, but out of genuine concern for the fate of this game. I've invested pretty heavy into it, and out of all the digital card games that I've played (SolForge, Hearthstone, Infinity Wars, MM:DOC, M:TG, HEX: Shards of Fate) this is the one I like the most. I like it's fluid play that isn't interrupted by having to pass priority and that it has several different deck archetypes to work with and strategies to win.

I would love to see the community reinvigorated, but I'm not sure how. I'm not sure how much of a budget you guys get to sanction official tournaments, but you might look into maybe hosting big monthly or quarterly tournaments sponsored by the developer itself. The community has done some great things by organizing their own tournaments with small prize pools. Daily Swiss and Jackpot tournaments are nice and all, but I think maybe trying to establish a more legitimate e-sports scene could only help. Mind you, I understand that you promote streamers and are trying hard to establish a presence, but I think it says something that I had absolutely no idea this game existed until it was released on Steam.

From what I've heard the main complaint is that it's difficult to for new players to get in the door if they're unwilling to spend much money.

I feel that MM:DOC may have missed the boat on monetization. I think that they should have made an auction house of some form that they could skim some revenue off of Auction House fees and provide a way for players to acquire the cards that they want without having to deal with the Alter of Wishes. At this point it's probably too late to change that because you would risk irritating the people who dumped a bunch into the system specifically for Wish Cards, and those players more than likely consist of your core fanbase.

There should be more to do with gold than simply purchase old packs. There are many people who are just sitting on piles and piles and piles of gold with nothing to do with them. Some people even sit on piles and piles and piles of seals with nothing to do with them. I'm not sure how you can adjust this without throwing things out of whack, but maybe there needs to be some features implemented that can give players something to do with all this excess currency.

It seems strange to me that there are even foils in the game. Foils are a good way to attract vanity players. People who will spend crazy money just to pimp out their deck. With no real way to create foils (hey, maybe you can trade in x amount of copies of a card to receive a premium version of said card?), it's all luck based. Especially when there's no third party market or even a first party market for singles. Maybe you might think about providing a way to either purchase cosmetics (backgrounds, alternate art, foils) for seals. You guys did Ishuma, but JESUS CHRIST was it inordinately expensive. And "Limited Time Only" seemed like a poor idea. I think you should have set the price point much lower, and kept it completely available to anyone who comes along wanting to purchase it.

I think that rather than have a legacy format, it would be much more lucrative for Ubisoft and MM:DOC to figure out a way to make a Limited Format; either through sealed or draft. Limited play is one thing that Hearthstone has done amazingly well at. I think it would be a great new way to draw players who do not like constructed play, because there are plenty out there.

Also, keep in mind that when you have an ineffecient card or a bad card in MM:DOC, it's a useless piece of crap. What limited can do is provide a way for "that one ****ty vanilla card" to be useful for a brief moment, rather than accumulate as fodder for the Infernal Pit on the rare chance that an actual decent card shows up in it (very rare).

Even though I've complained about a new set cycling out the old one, that sort of system is necessary. Eventually you want to retire the old cards. Make them rare. Allow people who invested early in the game to feel privileged or entitled that they have those old cards and can participate in older formats. Unfortunately, this probably only works in games that have a limited production run. When you can freely purchase all the packs to no end it sort of diminishes that feeling.

Bottom line is, I think you guys should sit down and think very, very, very, hard about how to make a limited format work and get it out to people that your game now has it.

Sorry for how scattered and unorganized this post is, but I hope maybe it gives you some insight. Thanks for reading, and good luck.

FilterFreak33
02-04-2014, 11:32 AM
So no new cards? this base set sounds like a light version of Emilio pack

This should be really not exciting!

:confused:

ElkazFATE
02-04-2014, 12:07 PM
If we would not get new cards i hope that some ,,old'' cards will be buffed.

DoubleDeck
02-04-2014, 12:46 PM
Just to clear up some of the more pressing concerns ahead of the stream:
1. Base set 2 is a collection of cards from the previous set.

Enjoy the stream on Friday ;)
Aza

So then:

Base set 1 = Bast set 1
Base set 2 = Void, Herald, Forgotten, Towers

When you create a deck, you can only choose cards from either base set.

Am I on the right track?

This would get rid of the boring top meta (Cass, Sand, Kelthor, Ishuma, Hakeem) who need cards from both base sets to be effective....

Aza404
02-04-2014, 01:29 PM
@DoubleDeck: no that's not how it will work.

@others: I understand your skepticism, but wait until Jason has explained it all to you! It's far more exciting and game changing than it sounds and shouldn't change much for you old-timers who don't want the game to change!
Wait until Friday before posting huge texts on how you think this will change the game and what your opinion is about this ;)

Sebster1618
02-04-2014, 01:29 PM
So here is some speculation....

No new cards.

All 300 Base Set 2 cards will be picked from Base Set 1, VR, HotV, FW & 5T. (Total pool of 650-700 cards)

All the cards in the new starter decks will be in Base Set 2.

ullandon
02-04-2014, 03:41 PM
Can you answer the most pressing question of achievements please? Am i wasting gold buying premium Void Rising packs for the achievement that requires me to have 120 of them? Cause the base set 2 sounds like it will destroy every single one of those achievements that require you to own cards from a specific set.

If they are going to go away we need a heads up so we can at least salvage some of them via the usage of wildcards.

SteveCof
02-04-2014, 03:54 PM
My only concern is that some of the changes that will happen without people know anything about it until it's too late. I understand why Five tower cards were so expensive in the altar and I can also see why the Five tower boxes gave less of them.

What I cannot accept though, is the fact that no one knew everything until it was too late. I really hope that we will have enough information going in these new changes to actually plan our purchases a bit.

Zmajoubica
02-04-2014, 04:22 PM
Give us any draft, please!

ElkazFATE
02-04-2014, 05:30 PM
@Zmaj

GL with drafting 8 event cards:)

Sesshy-
02-04-2014, 05:39 PM
So are we suppose to pay for the base set 2, even though we already have the corresponding cards in the original?

Or is it as long as we have the matching card in the original, we have it in base set 2?

ullandon
02-04-2014, 06:25 PM
@Zmaj

GL with drafting 8 event cards:)

Thinking doesn't hurt, obviosuly the hero and the events would be drafted separetely from all the other cards.

ElkazFATE
02-04-2014, 06:35 PM
@ull

Sure, but that would be draft? I dont think so. BTW what if i pick seria and there will be only few necro, water and dark cards? U cant splash mana base like in mtg. Thinking doesn't hurt:)

Zmajoubica
02-04-2014, 07:10 PM
Arena in Heartstone is some kind of draft and it would be desirable in MMDoC. Or every hero to be able to play everything, but other factions and other magic schools to pay expensive. It would be very fun.

Sebster1618
02-04-2014, 08:04 PM
@ull

Sure, but that would be draft? I dont think so. BTW what if i pick seria and there will be only few necro, water and dark cards? U cant splash mana base like in mtg. Thinking doesn't hurt:)

If you take draft to mean strictly using the current booster packs, then no it wouldn't work. Drafting in MMDOC would have to use hero specific booster packs and/or have different rules, like the Arena in Hearthstone does.

malkorion
02-04-2014, 08:12 PM
Drafting.

First phase: you select one of three randomly selected heroes.

Second phase: based on your selection, you pick randomly offered creatures (faction specific AND neutral), then spells, fortunes, and events (events last, because you can at least tweak events to your deck, not the other way around)

ElkazFATE
02-04-2014, 08:21 PM
@Sebster

Right, but do you belive that ubi will add such complicated game mode? There were few months with bugged austerity:)

FilterFreak33
02-04-2014, 08:37 PM
Elka is right: on a stream, one guy from Ubi explained draft is impossible for the moment, because it's too hard to do a valid deck with few boosters

And i don't see the inreterest to play a deck with 59 random cards.... (the cards my hero can play)

DOC is not MTG, the deckbuilding is different

Zoorim
02-04-2014, 09:03 PM
The staff should be looking at the draft mode from solforge. Here is the resume from their site:

As competitive collectible game players ourselves, one of our favorite things to do is draft. Drafting is a special kind of tournament in which you build your deck as you go instead of choosing one of your saved decks to play. This not only creates a level playing field for everyone no matter how long they may have been playing or how big a collection they might have, but also means that you have a totally new experience each time since you’re always playing with a different deck. It’s also a great way for players to grow their collections, since in addition to whatever prizes you might win, you also keep all of the cards that you draft.

Much like the rest of the SolForge experience, drafting is designed to be conducive to the mobile experience. You can draft wherever and whenever you want, and you don’t have to wait for a queue to fill or for other players to make their picks. The evaluations of other players still impact your draft, however. The algorithm used to generate the content of draft packs takes into account how frequently cards are picked by the community at large, so if you correctly identify a hidden gem, you’ll have a chance to grab them with your later picks.

We’ve been having a blast testing out the SolForge draft format over the past few months, and we’re incredibly excited that the rest of the world is going to have a chance to experience it too. The concurrent release of both drafting and the iPhone app means that you can always be drafting wherever you might go! If that isn’t exciting, I’m not sure what is!

For more information about drafts, including a video walkthrough, visit www.solforgegame.com/tournaments.

The best value is to draft whenever you want, and to play your 3 games whenever you want. I play less than one hour per day, but I can easily find 10-15 minutes at other times during the day, this is why I enjoy this mode so much. Heartstone's arena is also going in this direction and this is why I'm playing these 2 games more than mmdoc :(

ElkazFATE
02-05-2014, 09:08 AM
Alle games should be the same? If u like draft go solforge, or mtg.

MissiNick
02-05-2014, 04:25 PM
• Your feedback will help us shape the future of DoC. Sharing feedback during this event and you could be chosen to participate in the first ever preview tournament for Base Set Two! We will have plenty of Seals on the line as prizes to jumpstart your Base Set Two decks. The BS2 Preview event will be held on Saturday, February 22nd.

If you listen to the feedback the way you usually do (see the deals...) I guess there will not be much space for the interaction between players and you.

del170109032657
02-05-2014, 11:59 PM
I've compiled a list of all the questions that have been asked so far in this thread and on Reddit. If there are any other general thoughts that you guys have, please post them! I'll try to bring up as many of these topics as humanly possible this Friday on the stream.

Thanks so much for the discussion thus far. Lots of great points and subjects have been brought up. Can't wait for the stream Friday!

crocolikee94
02-06-2014, 12:38 AM
Will bs2 affect beginners? i mean the ones who need cards to complete a deck...for example i need 1 prison 2 campfires and the broken brigdes..to complete my cass deck...i wanna buy reinf pack and dont waste my wc on them? whats the impact on new players? ...I didnt bought hotv pack/box because i dont need...waste of seals and gold:) i hope i dont get forced to buy it

planeswalker17
02-06-2014, 01:20 AM
What will happen to achievements based on previous expansions? Will they still be available?
E.g. "Collect all cards from first Base set", "Collect all creature cards from HotV".

I'm interested in this too.

I've been collecting premium cards from the base set to complete the premium deck achievement, but now what? From what i've heard, BS1 will disappear from the shop, so if don't manage to complete it until the release of BS2, the only way to do it is to rely on the infernal pit?

S1ju3k
02-06-2014, 02:23 AM
My biggest question is what the team is planning to do to shake up the meta. I think the game is great, but you play it a few times and all you get is a narrow set of strategies dominating the game. If not with this expansion, what are the dev's plan to reduce the redundant gameplay? In other words I want content that keeps the game fresh each time (and you can get that in low ELO, but at higher ELO there's really nothing to surprise you). Are there any plans to introduce more strategies to break up the tree dominant ones of rush, stall and control going forward either through new game modes like team play, draft or sideboards, or with new cards that make the old strategies still viable but not so dominant.

Ussoro
02-06-2014, 06:01 AM
When Base Set 2 comes out, will I still be able to get the other expansion packs/box (eg. Forgotten Wars)??

Jarema03
02-06-2014, 10:46 AM
My biggest question is what the team is planning to do to shake up the meta. I think the game is great, but you play it a few times and all you get is a narrow set of strategies dominating the game. If not with this expansion, what are the dev's plan to reduce the redundant gameplay? In other words I want content that keeps the game fresh each time (and you can get that in low ELO, but at higher ELO there's really nothing to surprise you). Are there any plans to introduce more strategies to break up the tree dominant ones of rush, stall and control going forward either through new game modes like team play, draft or sideboards, or with new cards that make the old strategies still viable but not so dominant.

In my opinion every new set of cards shakes meta. and there will be regular expansions

ZergRusher
02-06-2014, 12:29 PM
QUESTION

There has been a lot of talks about changes in uniques recursion. What are the planned solutions???

Panametas
02-06-2014, 07:05 PM
I would really like to know the WC prices of the Base Set 2 cards.Will it be as high as 5T cards (really hope not) or are they gonna be like the previous sets..?

Goodkat203
02-06-2014, 09:24 PM

I've been collecting premium cards from the base set to complete the premium deck achievement, but now what? From what i've heard, BS1 will disappear from the shop, so if don't manage to complete it until the release of BS2, the only way to do it is to rely on the infernal pit?

This is also a big concern of mine. Please give a detailed answer on how achievements will be affected, if at all.

Thanks.

VampFury
02-07-2014, 01:53 AM
Hey Jason and company ;) I am looking forward to the stream and news. Here are some of important question from my (long forgotten) thread [http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/814479-DoC-improvements-topic-%28in-depth-analysis-and-discussion%29]

With BS2 will we see elo system rework? Or any time soon for that matter? Be that league system or anything else you guys think it's smart...

Are we going to see some decay in points for inactive players?

Are more tournaments organized by Ubisoft in plan? I dislike community only tournaments...

Some explanation -
We NEED incentive to play asap! We NEED system that rewards playing!
Latest example is Jkkk89 - he wanted (rightfully) to STOP playing and stopped his stream because he was 1642 elo! And to get there he only played Jackpots - regular games and swiss are not options at one point when you are aiming to get to high elo and to maintain it. And playing is not an option when you get to there also, because you want to be "there" at least some time and with current match-making it is impossible to maintain it for long.
Mind that this is not only Jkk's decision - most, if not all players chose to do similar stuff. I myself stopped playing some time when I hit my 2x top10 on ladderboard! We continue playing shortly after because we like the game, but we kind-a know that we are going to drop sooner or later because of current elo system... We need to be motivated to compete.
And about decay in points - I feel Jkkk at that point deserved to be first at ladder and in my mind he was! (because al-kazar is inactive player for so long...)

koverasek
02-07-2014, 11:09 AM
hi guys. imo there are two big problems with elo system:
1) elo sections (500/1000/1500) - dont understand idea of this. i think its useless or even destructive to game
2) no gold/exp bonuses for winning on higher elo (ppl wouldnt downgrade their elo to farm on new players if we have gold/exp bonuses based on amount of our elo - "higher elo" equals "more bonuses for winning matches")

@down
its broken too - i dont understand why control/mill decks are rewarded better than rushers. its kinda weird.

noname8902
02-07-2014, 11:21 AM
Exactly, people even loose their games on purpose to get lower and win games faster. instead of going higher and play with people on their skill level...
@Edit As the elo is going higher the games last longer so we get even less xp and gold per hour.

ullandon
02-07-2014, 11:56 AM

I already burned all my wildcards to get as many of the achievements pertaining to owning all cards from a specific set as I could cause I doubt they even considered the impact on achievements when they invented the base 2 thing. Achievement hunters are rarelly treated with respect by devs, but i'll be happy if they prove me wrong on the stream today.

Extn
02-07-2014, 02:51 PM
Hey Jason and company ;) I am looking forward to the stream and news. Here are some of important question from my (long forgotten) thread [http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/814479-DoC-improvements-topic-%28in-depth-analysis-and-discussion%29]

You're absolutely right, VampFury and I'd like to know what Jason and Co. think about all your suggestions / improvements.

PukinggoB
02-07-2014, 03:39 PM

With BS2 will we see elo system rework? Or any time soon for that matter? Be that league system or anything else you guys think it's smart...

Are we going to see some decay in points for inactive players?

Are more tournaments organized by Ubisoft in plan? I dislike community only tournaments...

Some explanation -
We NEED incentive to play asap! We NEED system that rewards playing!
Latest example is Jkkk89 - he wanted (rightfully) to STOP playing and stopped his stream because he was 1642 elo! And to get there he only played Jackpots - regular games and swiss are not options at one point when you are aiming to get to high elo and to maintain it. And playing is not an option when you get to there also, because you want to be "there" at least some time and with current match-making it is impossible to maintain it for long.
Mind that this is not only Jkk's decision - most, if not all players chose to do similar stuff. I myself stopped playing some time when I hit my 2x top10 on ladderboard! We continue playing shortly after because we like the game, but we kind-a know that we are going to drop sooner or later because of current elo system... We need to be motivated to compete.
And about decay in points - I feel Jkkk at that point deserved to be first at ladder and in my mind he was! (because al-kazar is inactive player for so long...)

I agree 100% with you ! Something must be done against player who trust a top place on the global rank and then vanish, idem with the hundred people who, once past the 1500 elo, just leave the game off. The dev should think about a system that value activity or punish inactivity
Vamp's decay in points seem to be a good idea, and it should be incentive ! If yous save all your elo score with 1 match in a month, it won't solve the problem : ex top players will be inactive all along except the one-match-per-month they have to do.

Ussoro
02-07-2014, 04:46 PM
So buying heroic packs would include BS2 cards?

IF the other expansions are going to disappear, There should be a sale for all the boxes.

ZergRusher
02-07-2014, 04:54 PM
1) elo sections (500/1000/1500) - dont understand idea of this. i think its useless or even destructive to game

elo section should stay to prevent "ladder anxiety" - it's a term from SC2 (which is a highly competitive game) that describes the fear of playing the game because for some reasons you are afraid you can drop down from your league. I experience it myself (MA on EU) anf e.g. in SC2 you can't drop to lower league during the season. That's why i feel like the "cap" should stay.

VampFury
02-07-2014, 07:21 PM
@Extn There is actually answer on given thread by svilleneuve. Quote: "Seriously, most of what's on that list is coming or being discussed. It's just good to know we're heading in a direction our players expects us to go.". It is on page 2 I think. I just hope more players would contribute to discussion, but I guess QQ about this or that OP is easier than having a serious talk.

@PukinggoB I would be happy to see even one game per month of inactive player... I would just do exponential decay. So after X period of time you start losing elo on every Y days - you lose 1 elo, than 2, than 4, than 8, than 16 etc. until you play.

About elo floors, I agree 100% with ZergRusher if the system stays the same. But I would like to see system changed completely.

Drake123456
02-07-2014, 07:28 PM
I think the caps on elo should stay as said above and elo decay should be implanted as well. Also I think they should remove 10 lose in row for dropping - this could eliminate at least some of those who drop elo intentionally OR maybe just increase rewards on each elo floor, so players will be aiming to be as high as they can. And BS2 is perfect occasion to elo reset.

dan18nr
02-17-2014, 02:57 PM
So I have a few questions:

1) Ariana will be available in boosters intead of deck or achievement?
2) Ignatius and the rest will be from boosters or still from achievements?
3) Why banning Crag or Xorm? Ubi wants to put rush decks away from DoC?
4) Will Sanctuary and Academy will be available at start?
5) What about achievements heroes at all? I see Ariana and Kieran here, but really can't you leave achievement heroes in separate? Few heroes for BS2 and achiements in addition?

I'm mad about Crag, because finally (from the game beginning) he is playable (pretty well) and I like him.

Thanks for explanation.

ma0205163
02-18-2014, 07:53 AM
I'm a beginner, I got a question here about base set 2:

1. Does it mean that after base set 2, many cards that are currently in the expansion sets (locked in Altar) will be made basic, such that I can buy them with WC or randomly get them in reinforcement packs/boxes?

2. Some people talk about card restrictions entering a tournament, but I have never seen such a restriction, what is that? Does it mean the Swiss or Jackpot require you to have only or certain number of the base set cards?

3. If I got gold now, should I buy expansion packs now or save them for base set 2 release?

Thank you!

malkorion
02-18-2014, 08:42 AM
I'm a beginner, I got a question here about base set 2:

1. Does it mean that after base set 2, many cards that are currently in the expansion sets (locked in Altar) will be made basic, such that I can buy them with WC or randomly get them in reinforcement packs/boxes?

2. Some people talk about card restrictions entering a tournament, but I have never seen such a restriction, what is that? Does it mean the Swiss or Jackpot require you to have only or certain number of the base set cards?

3. If I got gold now, should I buy expansion packs now or save them for base set 2 release?

Thank you!

1) Sets will gradually rotate out of the shop, and yes, they will be available for WCs only. When a new set comes out, the oldest set goes.

2) With Base Set 2, the game will have a new format: Standard. Meaning, the latest base set, plus the latest expansion(s). This will be a regularly changing format. However, the current format (Open) will stick around. So you will have tournaments that alternate between these two formats.

3) The only reason to save up for base set 2 is if you want to play in Standard, because that card pool is much smaller. Actually, it's so small that I think I have all the cards for it.

UpInYoGrill
02-27-2014, 05:24 AM
How about making a player have an independent elo rating/score per faction?

cristiz0rlike
02-27-2014, 03:32 PM
Please introduce void shade in bs2...necro has so powerfull cards...and ammar instead of another hero