PDA

View Full Version : What should I buy?

sings_in_tune
02-02-2014, 06:02 AM
Hi,

I don't own any of the Assassins Creed series. I think I want to start at the beginning. Would someone please suggest what I should buy?

byte_x
02-02-2014, 06:43 AM
i started from brotherhood and played all the games to black flag, and i always regret not having played I and II. my advice would be starting with AC I, to get to know series better and if you like it you can do the timeline correctly. (i havent actually played AC I, but it is probably better than this annoying pirate stuff)

Black_Widow9
02-02-2014, 06:57 AM
If you want the full experience and story I'd start at #1. I don't regret playing any of them and I personally think they all have their separate charms. ;)

Dome500
02-03-2014, 06:56 PM
1 is a little bit more linear than the others but it has open levels and really draws you in with story and atmo.

=> It plays in the Holy Land during the Crusades

2 is my personal favorite and is a requirement (in terms of story) to play Brotherhood and Revelations.
It has the best gameplay improvements (compared to the previous one), the longest chapters, the best combination of gameplay in story in my eyes.
Same counts for Brotherhood and Revelations. Similar level of story, gameplay and stuff (though with improvements).
Although some people didn't like the Revelations story I really enjoyed it and it impressed with foreign flair, "worlds center" feeling, multi-cultural impressions and atmosphere, as well as an epic ending to the story of my favorite character, Ezio.

=> II and Brotherhood play in Italy during the Renaissance
=> Revelations play in Constantinople/Istanbul during the same time period (a little later)

3 is disappointing IMO, but that's up for debate. I want to spare you the details, it has no connection to the previous ones except of the modern day characters and the general underlining theme.

=> It plays during the American War of Independence

4 (BF) is less about Assassins and more about pirates, and has a less sophisticated modern day story.

=> It play in the Caribbean Sea in the 18th century.

If you want to have the whole story and atmo of the AC series start with 1.

playlisting
02-03-2014, 09:24 PM
I'd recommend starting with number 2. It has an excellent story, a fantastic setting and great gameplay. Many people felt that AC1 was very repetitive and some even called it boring. If you play 2 first, you'd start off the series on a high note and it would leave you wanting more after you'd finished, I assume, like it did with me. So I'd start at 2 and work your way up to 4. 2 and all the games afterwards are excellent. Number 3 has mixed feelings but I think it was great.

YazX_
02-04-2014, 12:59 AM
get the full package and start with AC1 to get to know the story and game mechanics as they change and improve in the next released game, so it would be somehow confusing if you didnt start from the 1st one and went backwards to play the rest.

BarmyTaffster
02-04-2014, 10:07 AM
get the full package and start with AC1 to get to know the story and game mechanics as they change and improve in the next released game, so it would be somehow confusing if you didnt start from the 1st one and went backwards to play the rest.

I'm with Yaz_H get the complete package start from the very first 1. I noticed some say start from 2 but if you do that your roll as Desmonds is ?? how did he get to this point so for me 1st game is essential and follow on with the rest. Each one has their own story and some of the locations can be quite educational too.

Locopells
02-04-2014, 11:52 AM
It's a long road but yes, start at the beginning, in order to understand everything. You might also wanna see the Lineage (between ACI and ACII) and Embers (after ACR) short films, just to fill out Ezio's story.

sings_in_tune
02-09-2014, 07:50 AM
I thank you all for your replies. AC 1 sounds good to me, but I don't see it in the Ubishop. I do see something called Assassin's Creed the Director's Cut Edition that says:

"The setting is 1191 AD. The Third Crusade is tearing the Holy Land apart."

I assume this is the version of AC 1 that is currently available.

BarmyTaffster
02-09-2014, 08:43 AM
I thank you all for your replies. AC 1 sounds good to me, but I don't see it in the Ubishop. I do see something called Assassin's Creed the Director's Cut Edition that says:

Yes that's the first one. It's also the only version that does not get registered online with ubisoft so its just straight forward install and play.

Dome500
02-09-2014, 04:48 PM

Directors cut is the improved version with some additional types of investigation methods before an Assassination.