PDA

View Full Version : Full Real pilots . What do you really want from a Full Real server

Osirisx9
06-03-2004, 07:29 PM
This post is not meant to be a Full Real pilots or not-full-real pilot is better than the other. I honestly want to know what is it that you full real pilots are looking for. Birds of Prey will be putting together allot of missions within the next two weeks to cater to you but we need some imput. There has been allot of conversation about there not being enough full real servers . I know of one and its participation was pretty low most of the time except of weekends ( Maybe that means something lol). Right now Birds of Prey 1 has been removed and Birds of Prey 2 is taking its place. Birds of Prey2 has restricted Icon settings. You will be able to see the enemy, but you have to get pretty pretty close. We will be more than happy to fire up Birds Of Prey1 again if you like. All you guys have to do is just let us know what you want and join the server when when it is running. We will be more than happy to have it running 24/7 on hypelobby again until our new website and interface is ready.

RAF238thOsiris

Osirisx9
06-03-2004, 07:29 PM
This post is not meant to be a Full Real pilots or not-full-real pilot is better than the other. I honestly want to know what is it that you full real pilots are looking for. Birds of Prey will be putting together allot of missions within the next two weeks to cater to you but we need some imput. There has been allot of conversation about there not being enough full real servers . I know of one and its participation was pretty low most of the time except of weekends ( Maybe that means something lol). Right now Birds of Prey 1 has been removed and Birds of Prey 2 is taking its place. Birds of Prey2 has restricted Icon settings. You will be able to see the enemy, but you have to get pretty pretty close. We will be more than happy to fire up Birds Of Prey1 again if you like. All you guys have to do is just let us know what you want and join the server when when it is running. We will be more than happy to have it running 24/7 on hypelobby again until our new website and interface is ready.

RAF238thOsiris

Graves_16thBD
06-03-2004, 09:12 PM
I have to say, your servers are great. I play on them almost everyday. I especially loved the Battle of Britain map.

I just came back from playing on your birds of prey server2 with the limited icons, but I see no point in them. By the time I saw the icons, I already knew what kind of plane it was. You could either extend the range at which you can see the icons or get rid of them altogether. Either way, I wouldn't mind.

Thanks for hosting such a great server on Hyperlobby.

Michael/Graves

Hunde_3.JG51
06-03-2004, 09:17 PM
Hey Osirisx9!

I usually only play on full switch servers, our squad hosts them sometime and we participate in FBOW. If none are available I jump in excellent servers that come close like Warclouds, GreaterGreen, F-16, etc.

Basically what I want is "full-switch", meaning no speedbar, no icons at all, no map icons, etc. Unfortunatley as you said this doesn't seem to be many people's cup of tea, as for me it is the only way to fly. And like you said, I don't want this to turn into any kind of debate, to each his own, I just want to encourage others to try full-switch because I bet some of you would never go back once you got used to it.

I would want historical planesets. No I-185's, no Mig-3U's, no Ta-152's in '44, no P-51B's in '42, etc. I would want the combatants to be historically accurate with plane types fighting against their common real life opponent. It doesn't have to be a LW vs. USAAF or LW vs. VVS (though this is what I prefer it really cuts down on those who would participate even more IMO) type thing, all planes can be included that are appropriate. Though I would prefer Japanese or any other non-European theater type planes excluded.

I would want there to be plenty of ground targets. My experience with FBOW has shown me that there are alot of people that like to do ground-pounding (and do it well) and this can be done effectively with full-switch settings.

Which leads to my next point, I like the scripted stuff with objectives (tanks, pilots, planes, ships, etc. remaining). I think our squad is learning (with help from another squad) how to do this as I speak and I think we will be putting up some full switch scripted stuff in future.

Finally, I love the death-kick. Even if it only for a few minutes if this is possible. I like points to go to zero after a death and the tension of trying to keep your pilot alive.

I guess that is it for now. I hope it works out as it is great to see more full-switch servers.

Thanks.

http://www.militaryartshop.com/prints/bailey/warwolf.jpg

Formerly Kyrule2
http://www.jg51.com/

Zeroneg1
06-03-2004, 09:27 PM
I 2nd the no icons,no minimaps,no speedbar request and lots of ground targets BUT I do want to see a mix of bombers and paratroopers C-47 planes as well as destroyers and cruisers and other types of boats. Some people do get bored flying/fighting only fighters and would want to fly/fight other types as well and if they are appropriate for the time frame then add those other types.

On full-real/difficulty I tend to even look at a plane's markings and paint scheme before I start shooting and sometimes this leads to be being shoot down but does not matter. And please as much as possible do not let some planes start in the mid air like some COOP maps I have seen. I think most full-real/difficulty people wants to take off and land on their own and yup I do not have a problem with death kick or even vulching since that happened.

Do give us all the variants though for a specific plane up to that date of the map as well as give us the ability to use appropriate skin but this is not a must and I only mean this for the desert map. I have been otching to have a proper desert skin for the BF-109s mimicking the ones I have seen of an old photograph of a Bf-109 K-4 that has a 'leopard' desert pattern.

ZG77_Lignite
06-03-2004, 10:13 PM
Well, I suppose I'm a minority, but I'd like to see 'playability' rated as an important factor. Having a 'real' (meaning huge) ground war going on is sure neat, but every single vehicle brings the server (any server, horsepower or bandwidth will ALWAYSE be limited) closer to the 'lag limit', and vehicles that are Firing (flak, tanks, ships) seem to intensify the problems. Making the bases 'alive' with aircraft and vehicles is sure pretty, but it intensifies the 'spawn stutter' due to people's rig's choking when they spawn, and sending that choke through the server. Ultra intense flak at airfields is a sure bet to leading to server choke as large dogfights ensue over single bases; so try to build a 'focus point' for aerial combat, that will minimise the above effects. Some ideas might be to put the ground targets Far behind the front lines, but in a way that both air forces will normally cross the front lines at a similar place, thus making locating each other easy, without the flak to congest the server.

I realize I'm now on an older system, and dial-up at that; and you can't cater to the lowest common denominator. BUT I honestly feel you will see a significan increase in activity if you make the missions 'playable', from both horsepower and bandwidth perspectives.

IV|JG51Flatspin
06-03-2004, 10:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Graves_16thBD:
By the time I saw the icons, I already knew what kind of plane it was.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto. Just came back myself and icons were really no use. I'd say get rid of them. The only thing I really MUST have on to be serious about what I am doing is the speedbar. Having it off gives a distinct advantage to German planes. Anybody want to argue that with me needs to sit in the pit of a Spitfire and tell me your heading.

I'll fly speedbar off occasionally, but only when I'm feeling 'devil-may-care'.

I like to see ground targets, as I'm a ground-pounder.. but as stated above, too many can cause a lot of stutter. Wirbelwinds kill me with screen freezes more than lead! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

S!
http://img73.photobucket.com/albums/v222/Flatspin/il2cockpitsig.jpg
=Flatspin=
=Elite=XO=Bomber Commander
The Wings of Freedom (http://www.elitepx.com)

3.JG51_BigBear
06-03-2004, 10:57 PM
I'm going to agree with my squad mate hunde on this one. I've been playing IL2 in all its forms for three years now and have never had as much fun with it as I'm having now after joining a full real squadron. I'm definitely still learning; I run into things while taxing, I get bounced on a semi-regular basis and I find myself getting death kicked far more often than I'd like but the game just seems so much more fun this way. It adds a whole new challenge and sense of realism that I never experienced in the game before. Navigating, watching your instruments, and trying to keep formation all while scanning the sky for bandits actually feels pretty intense on full real.

Athosd
06-03-2004, 11:14 PM
I like near full real servers. The speedbar is often necessary in some types as noted above. Icons that give only the type of aircraft from a reasonable range (~400m?) are a good, and not too unrealistic, assist for those who have a little difficulty due to eyesight, resolution, or monitor size.

One thing that would be great to have as an option in full real servers is an external (locked to your own aircraft) view that only lasts a set number of seconds after spawning. This would enable the player to quickly check the layout of the airbase without compromising the overall difficulty settings.

Salute

Athos

Zeroneg1
06-03-2004, 11:46 PM
I read somewhere maybe from Bud Anderson that in WWII they used 'S' snake-like moves to check the layout of the field as well as employ the angled against the landing strip routine so they can check who is ahead of them.

One thing that should be established though is where do people take off and land. Why? You think that the taxi-ways would be for taxing right and the main runway for take off and landing? On most servers, the rulle seems to be that taxi way ways are for take offs and the main runway for landing specially if there are bombers. In many occasions either almost had a collison or caused one because I was either taking off from the taxi ways or from the main runway. During my early days online I was accused of staying in the taxi ways to long (when I was navigating my way at under 30 speed) and sometimes even blocking it because I chose to taxi there and take off on the main runway. I was just so used to doing that from MS Flight simulators but now I take off from taxi ways. I also am used to dealing the instrumentation instead of the speedbar but I do agree with the SPIT and other planes having minimal instrumentation that's visible. Can't we edit this default view in the .ini files?

Also has anybody been able to PIVOT their planes to turn so that they can lift off the tail wheel and turn via rudder/aileron? I have not tried this but was wondering http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Slammin_
06-03-2004, 11:56 PM
Well, I was watching this thread but if it is going to be another "full real is so much better thread", I'll not bother.

I'm interested in what FR pilots like to fly on too, but not so interested in why FR is better. I'm just lurking because I think I might gain some ideas.

Like, what do FR pilots feel about AAA, plane match-up's etc. What type of ground targets, base distance, things like that. I think this leans towards what Osirisx9 is originally asking too; - What do YOU FR pilots prefer?

I'm not even thinking at this point of offering real locales and plane sets, but I'm thinking I may learn something from this thread.

So, what do you FR guys want in a server? Be specific as far as icons, time periods w/plane matchups etc. If you don't prefer the limited plane sets that required with historical scenarios, then you should say so, but if you do prefer that, you should speak up.

Server hosts really do want to make environments you enjoy. Help us help you.

S! Osirisx9 for starting such a thoughtful thread!

Slam

Athosd
06-04-2004, 12:33 AM
S~ Slammin/Osirisx9

Marker fires at the ends of the runways are always a thoughtful addition.
Enough AAA at home bases to provide a reasonable threat/deterrant.
Limited icons that give only the plane type at a "reasonable" range.
Personally I like early to mid war servers with appropriate planes sets.
Ground target wise - convoys, vehicle concentrations, artillery batteries and ships are good (trains blow up too easily). The targets should ideally have some kind of cover - seeing ranks of tanks in the open isn't terribly realistic (unless your bombing a review parade).
A good set of well sited ground targets (obviously with an eye to frame rate issues) will encourage mudmovers - which IMHO tends to improve the experience for everyone, since it gives fighter jocks something to do other than just stalking other fighters.
Time settings of early morning or late afternoon are great but seem to be very rare.

Cheers

Athos

Tooz_69GIAP
06-04-2004, 02:21 AM
Well, to me, I don't like icons. If you only have speedbar enabled on the server (that is for those aircraft with almost unitelligiable, or hidden compasses) then that is all I look for.

I don't mind flying in other types of servers, but I am just so used to flying "full real" now, that I don't like flying WWV, or with icons, but I absolutely hate padlock (read short range radar!!!).

Tooz

whit ye looking at, ya big jessie?!?!

http://www.baseclass.modulweb.dk/69giap/fileadmin/Image_Archive/badges/69giap_badge_tooz.jpg
Za Rodinu!

JG52Uther
06-04-2004, 02:29 AM
Limited friendly icons.speedbar on,ground targets,limited planeset,good weather,ships to sink!it is nice to have friendly icons,if only to see where my squad mates are.why bother with enemy icons?if no icon ,shoot it down..........i love your server,smooth as silk for me,we need more servers like you.S!

pacettid
06-04-2004, 05:22 AM
Here are some of my thoughts on the subject:
http://www.fallenangels.dynu.com/

Server settings here: http://www.fallenangels.dynu.com/faserversettings.htm

We use speedbar, as there are just too many gauges that are obscured, or flat out do not work!

All the best, Don

MEGILE
06-04-2004, 05:24 AM
NO speedbar is good http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

However I disagree about padlock from inside the cockpit. Its more realistic, your eyes following the bandit, rather than you playing about with that god awful Hat switch... unless ofcourse you have Tir http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://www.2and2.net/Uploads/Images/p51dark.bmp

Thera
06-04-2004, 09:25 AM
If someone hosted a full real (all switched off) it would be great!

I like DF's based around missions. Each side can have three goals or target areas. Limit the planes to only the ones that flew in that battle, it's kinda silly having a small grass airfield with 30 plane choices.

Good luck and our squad will be looking for it. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Zeroneg1
06-04-2004, 10:11 AM
and Oh please have some kind of sensible reason why we need to scramble and fly as well as what are we supposed to do and which are priorities? Varied weather and time is good since most online server are either day or sunset with partly clouds to perfect skies! I rarely saw a night mission although that's not that practical in this sim unless navigation lights are on for all http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Make the bases far and some near but limit the amount of planes on the near bases so people will have some time to plan on the plane weight and fuel amount and bomb loads and stuff just like the real world pilot and ground crew deals with it and even better if they can choose varied planes for that time frame since its up to the pilots to choose which one is best for the distance and target and bogey..http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Osirisx9
06-04-2004, 01:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Thera:
If someone hosted a full real (_all_ switched off) it would be great!

I like DF's based around missions. Each side can have three goals or target areas. Limit the planes to only the ones that flew in that battle, it's kinda silly having a small grass airfield with 30 plane choices.

Good luck and our squad will be looking for it. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For the past two weeks Birds of Prey hosted a nearly full real server but had very little turnout. I would love to put Birds of Prey 1 back on, but I hate to see such a powerful server just sit there and be idle. Its also just not the Birds Of Prey that I've been on , but other full real servers too and the same thing happens....No one shows up. I can sit there for an hour. I cant think of any admin that likes to see their server empty, including myself. But like I mentioned earlier , all I have to do is just fire up Birds of Prey 1 . If there is a demmand. There is a great oportunity to fly full real on what is most likeley the most powerful server in the community with zero lag, even with the current DS issues. So you guys just give me the word and if your serious Birds Of Prey1 will be up and running.
RAF238thOsiris

LilHorse
06-04-2004, 01:46 PM
I agree with Hunde 100% if I'm flying a 109 since the instruments are easy to see. But I would say that speedbar should be included since certain planes' instruments are not as easy to read as the LW planes. That'd be my only switch concession. And that's just to make it fair to those who prefer other-than-LW planes. Otherwise, all switches on. And, yeah, historical, year limited, scripted, ground targets, death-kick. That stuff's all good. That's what I want to see.

IV-JG51_L.Z
06-04-2004, 01:58 PM
I want to be able to join your server and not get immediately kicked out while selecting my A/C. hint: if your server detects that I am "cheating" before I click "fly", they might be a little too sensitive http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

http://www.jg51.net/downloads/squadbanner.bmp

CHDT
06-04-2004, 03:27 PM
No GPS, limited aircraft choice, no icons except friendly limited ones, no speedbar etc...

Stachl
06-04-2004, 09:08 PM
Ok here goes:

1. I would like everything full switch except for speedbar.

2. Realistic plane and period matchups. If the planes are not available, such as trying to recreate the Dunkirk evacuation, use only early Hurricanes etc. I didn't paticularly like Spitfire Vbs vs 109 E-7s the other night. It was a nice challenge for the Emils, but I'd prefer realistic plane sets.

3. As far as maps are concerned try to do as many time periods as the plane set allows, i.e. early, mid, and late war, they are all enjoyable for different reasons. Varying the weather and time of day is interesting too. I personally prefer the eastern and western fronts.

When I'm in HL the first servers I always check are Birds of Prey or Fallen Angels. For my own sake, I hope it catches on, but I'm not holding my breath as full real pilots are a rare breed for sure. Thanks.

Stachl

karost
06-05-2004, 01:39 AM
seem good that more and more people like to play full-switch + dead kick http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

if monday - friday play :FullReal with speed bar and icon plane (like WC) at 400m look more compromise to bring more people join your server

and play full-switch + dead kick on weekend on rush time. I belive your server not empty and you will see alot of good skill friends for that day. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

just only my Idea
S!