PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the great graphics

Buzz04
06-28-2004, 08:15 AM
To the development team,

I finished my annual simulator training last week. While the simulator is full-motion, wrap-around video, and completely accurate for cockpit functions, I was amazed at how horrible the visibility was.

The transition from day to night was jumpy and startling as the visibility dropped. I missed the beautiful cloud streaked sunsets of IL-2. Ground navigation is nearly impossible in the simulator except for major peaks and roads. I missed a good chart in IL-2 and the ability to track major and minor roads - and enjoy the beautiful terrain. The real simulator does not have snow-covered terrain at all - unlike IL-2. The sun does not exist in the simulator world.

To the developers - thank you. Your simulator is beautiful in every way. From the clouds to the sun to the beautiful terrain, flying in my four-ship is truly enjoyable, no matter what aircraft I fly. The only thing I can do in a real simulator is use NVGs - and that's no big deal because the graphics still suck.

To all of the readers of this post, I'd like to add one important note: The real-world simulator has Flight Model errors! Yes, from ground handling characteristics to 100% flap stalls, there are KNOWN errors identified by experienced piltos (myself included). And the simulator costs MILLIONS of US dollars (more than a real airplane). And it only simulates one aircraft. The developers here have done an amazing job.

V/R,
Buzz

Buzz04
06-28-2004, 08:15 AM
To the development team,

I finished my annual simulator training last week. While the simulator is full-motion, wrap-around video, and completely accurate for cockpit functions, I was amazed at how horrible the visibility was.

The transition from day to night was jumpy and startling as the visibility dropped. I missed the beautiful cloud streaked sunsets of IL-2. Ground navigation is nearly impossible in the simulator except for major peaks and roads. I missed a good chart in IL-2 and the ability to track major and minor roads - and enjoy the beautiful terrain. The real simulator does not have snow-covered terrain at all - unlike IL-2. The sun does not exist in the simulator world.

To the developers - thank you. Your simulator is beautiful in every way. From the clouds to the sun to the beautiful terrain, flying in my four-ship is truly enjoyable, no matter what aircraft I fly. The only thing I can do in a real simulator is use NVGs - and that's no big deal because the graphics still suck.

To all of the readers of this post, I'd like to add one important note: The real-world simulator has Flight Model errors! Yes, from ground handling characteristics to 100% flap stalls, there are KNOWN errors identified by experienced piltos (myself included). And the simulator costs MILLIONS of US dollars (more than a real airplane). And it only simulates one aircraft. The developers here have done an amazing job.

V/R,
Buzz

dadada1
06-28-2004, 10:16 AM
Agreed.

EFG_Zeb
06-28-2004, 11:20 AM
Reality check...

"See, Decide, Attack, Reverse or Coffee Break" E.H.