PDA

View Full Version : Why is Nassau 'infested' with British soldiers?

Nitrotoluene
01-29-2014, 09:47 AM
I was under the impression that Nassau was the centre of the pirate's "republic" even if it was a bit of a dump. So why are all those redcoats walking the streets? I've obviously missed something important in the plot..

Calrid
01-29-2014, 10:49 AM
History
See also: Piracy in the Caribbean

Nassau was formerly known as Charles Town; it was burned to the ground by the Spanish in 1684. Rebuilt, it was renamed Nassau in 1695 in honour of the Dutch Stadtholder (stadhouder in Dutch) and later also King of England, Scotland and Ireland, William III from the Dutch House of Orange-Nassau.[2] In 1703 Spanish and French allied forces briefly occupied Nassau.

By 1713, the sparsely settled Bahamas had become a pirate haven for pirate chieftains Thomas Barrow and Benjamin Hornigold. They proclaimed Nassau a pirate republic, establishing themselves as "governors." They were joined by Charles Vane, Calico Jack Rackham, and the infamous Edward Thatch, known as "Blackbeard"; along with female pirates such as Anne Bonny.

In 1718, the British sought to regain control of the islands and appointed Captain Woodes Rogers as Royal governor. He successfully clamped down on the pirates, reformed the civil administration, and restored commerce. Rogers cleaned up Nassau and rebuilt the fort, using his own wealth to try to overcome problems. In 1720 the Spanish made an unsuccessful attempt to capture Nassau.

In 1776 the Battle of Nassau resulted in a brief occupation by the American Marines during the American War of Independence, where the Marines staged their first amphibious raid on Fort Montagu: in 1778 after an overnight invasion, American raiders left with ships, gunpowder and military stores after stopping in Nassau for only two days. In 1782 Spain captured Nassau for the last time when Don Juan de Cagigal, governor-general of Cuba, attacked New Providence with 5000 men. Andrew Deveaux, an American Loyalist who resettled on the island, set forth to recapture Nassau with 220 men and 150 muskets to face a force of 600 trained soldiers. Deveaux forced the Spanish to surrender on April 17, 1783, without a single shot fired.

Lord Dunmore governed the colony from 1787 to 1796. He oversaw the construction of Fort Charlotte in Nassau.

During the American Civil War, Nassau served as a port for blockade runners making their way to and from ports along the southern Atlantic Coast for continued trade with the Confederacy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nassau,_Bahamas

:p

I was under the impression that Nassau was the centre of the pirate's "republic" even if it was a bit of a dump. So why are all those redcoats walking the streets? I've obviously missed something important in the plot..

The actual history of the Bahaman confederacy obviously. ;)

And:

The city is featured in the 2013 video game Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag as a pirate haven, housing the main protagonists. Historical pirates are encountered there such as Benjamin Hornigold, Edward Teach/Blackbeard, Charles Vane, "Calico" Jack Rackham, Anne Bonney, and Mary Read.

Anykeyer
01-29-2014, 01:07 PM
Redcoats arent there in the beginning, they appear only later as story progress

Nitrotoluene
01-29-2014, 01:38 PM
Redcoats arent there in the beginning, they appear only later as story progress

That's what I thought too. So, can you tell me why in the story (as distinct from real history) the Brits were allowed to take over again? Or would that be a spoiler? Whatever it was, the point was obviously lost on me as I plodded through the game first time around.

Calrid
01-29-2014, 02:57 PM
That's what I thought too. So, can you tell me why in the story (as distinct from real history) the Brits were allowed to take over again? Or would that be a spoiler? Whatever it was, the point was obviously lost on me as I plodded through the game first time around.

Er I posted the history?

That is an exact history of the Caribbean pirate stronghold of Nassau which today is a confederacy in its own right these days.

jdowny
01-29-2014, 05:26 PM
Firstly, Redcoats are there in the beginning - in the mission where you gather your crew in Nassau the place is indeed crawling with them. Which is strange because according to the history it had become a haven for pirates by 1713, when the setting for the game begins in 1715.

Anykeyer
01-29-2014, 05:55 PM
But they dont patrol streets untill Rogers shows up. In fact they arent even there outside that mission (and their finny little fort).

Calrid
01-29-2014, 06:24 PM
But they dont patrol streets untill Rogers shows up. In fact they arent even there outside that mission (and their finny little fort).

Lol obgviously has me on ignore.

Read the history Woodes Rogers, not Roberts as well. ;)

In 1718, the British sought to regain control of the islands and appointed Captain Woodes Rogers as Royal governor. He successfully clamped down on the pirates, reformed the civil administration, and restored commerce. Rogers cleaned up Nassau and rebuilt the fort, using his own wealth to try to overcome problems. In 1720 the Spanish made an unsuccessful attempt to capture Nassau.

Actual history actually from documents and records of actual history. I should know I am a Historian... ;)

See the link above it is accurate even if it is wiki. ;)

I think you are confusing Roberts or the dread pirate Roberts, ie Bartholomew Roberts with Woodes Rogers, whilst both are actual historical figures only Woodes had any real impact on Nassau, it became a French colony later on, eventually. Haiti for example still has extensive ties to Nassau from its capital Port-au-Prince.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port-au-Prince

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/86/Haiti_relief_location_map.jpg

The Island to the North is where Nassau is with Port-au prince being located on the Southern arm of the Island now belonging mostly to the Dominican Republique, also an ex colony of Spain and or France depending on when...

Colonial history

In 1770, Port-au-Prince replaced Cap-Français (the modern Cap-Haïtien) as capital of the colony of Saint-Domingue, and in 1804, it became the capital of newly independent Haïti. Before Haïtian independence, it was captured by British troops on June 4, 1794.

French colonial commissioner Étienne Polverel proclaimed the city Port-Républicain on 23 September 1793 "in order that the inhabitants be kept continually in mind of the obligations which the French revolution imposed on them." It was later renamed Port-au-Prince by Jacques I, emperor of Haïti.[7] When Haiti was divided between a kingdom in the north and a republic in the south, Port-au-Prince was the capital of the republic, under the leadership of Alexandre Pétion. Henri Christophe renamed the city Port-aux-Crimes after the assassination of Jacques I at Pont Larnage (now known as Pont-Rouge, and located north of the city).

This history is accurate, or at least as accurate as wiki gets. ;)

Anykeyer
01-29-2014, 06:28 PM
Roberts?

Calrid
01-29-2014, 06:44 PM
Firstly, Redcoats are there in the beginning - in the mission where you gather your crew in Nassau the place is indeed crawling with them. Which is strange because according to the history it had become a haven for pirates by 1713, when the setting for the game begins in 1715.

Yes absolutely but the history as provided is accurate, if you doubt it that is your prerogative, I
am sure Abstergo aka Ubisoft is keen to hear your input. ;)

Calrid
01-29-2014, 06:45 PM
Roberts?

Yes Roberts am I speaking French or somit. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pwklf84OUs

Anykeyer
01-29-2014, 06:48 PM
Yes. What Roberts has to do with Nassau?

Calrid
01-29-2014, 07:11 PM
Yes. What Roberts has to do with Nassau?

WTF are you trolling again?

Do you ever think at some point you might stop deliberately polluting this board with your incessant infantile trolls, because I don't think you can.

Look I am sorry if you can't read English and have comprehension difficulties in the language of English, but I am personally bored of your unceasing nonsense. However if you want to carry on talking utter and incessant **** in lieu of reality by all means go ahead. I
am not sure that is wise but hey it's your life,,, Knock yourself out. ;)

I am sure your winning the internet will at least impress someone somewhere, so feel free to talk utter **** at anyone who will or wont listen. But I think you may well be banned soon, and personally I think that is not a good idea, since you clearly like this game, but if you really mean anything you say and are not just talking **** because you can I would propose you not just talk ****. As I say it's your life though...

Anykeyer
01-29-2014, 07:15 PM
I asked first

Calrid
01-29-2014, 07:20 PM
I asked first

Your mum?

Anykeyer
01-29-2014, 07:32 PM
^ Unprovoked agression

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20623495

Calrid
01-29-2014, 07:36 PM
^ Unprovoked agression

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20623495

How very apposite that is in fact exactly what your mum said....

Anykeyer
01-29-2014, 07:46 PM
LOL. All that ****storm for nothing. Since hints dont work with you at all I will try to be clear this time. You tried to correct me, but in fact I never said Roberts, Use glasses next time, ok?

Calrid
01-29-2014, 07:47 PM
LOL. All that ****storm for nothing. Since hints dont work with you at all I will try to be clear this time. You tried to correct me, but in fact I never said Roberts, Use glasses next time, ok?

Your mum?

Anykeyer
01-29-2014, 07:54 PM
You might think that you're very funny.
And you're right.

Calrid
01-29-2014, 08:01 PM
You might think that you're very funny.
And you're right.

Your mum?

Anykeyer
01-29-2014, 08:02 PM
Yea

Calrid
01-29-2014, 08:03 PM
Yea

Your mum?

strigoi1958
01-30-2014, 04:10 AM
Perhaps, before we digress any further away from the OP's question I would like to say

Jack Sparrow: I thought you were supposed to keep to the code.
Mr. Gibbs: We figured they were more actual guidelines.

The game (and let's not forget it is just a game) is loosely based on some history.... Like AC3 it has a certain amount of artistic licence when setting the scene and placing real people within. So the actual history is more actual guidelines... ;)

Short answer... they're there because the devs put them there... maybe because the story needed them and that part was left out

Nitrotoluene
01-30-2014, 11:07 AM
Yes, and thank you. My question was indeed not about actual history, it was about the game storyline. I thought that was clear, but obviously it wasn't to everyone. Sorry about how this went off the rails..

jeffies04
01-30-2014, 12:38 PM
I think they said in the 1715 mission cutscene when you are recruiting your crew that, "a ship of the king's men showed up knockin about like they own the place"

jdowny
01-30-2014, 05:31 PM
Yes absolutely but the history as provided is accurate, if you doubt it that is your prerogative, I
am sure Abstergo aka Ubisoft is keen to hear your input. ;)

Err, I'm not refuting the history, I was talking about the game.