PDA

View Full Version : Is it Just me or are Ship Battles....

HolyBudz
01-29-2014, 03:58 AM
Is it just me or do ship battles suck, I mean I can take down the little scrub ships but whenever it comes to a good fight you have to do to much, steer and pick which side of cannons your using at the same time + slowing down or speeding up, Then aiming....like wtf, and most of the time when your fighting a higher lvl ship there's multiple little ones around them and you lose sight of them in gunpowder smoke and cant tell what ship your aiming at....I dunno feedback anyone?

LoyalACFan
01-29-2014, 05:57 AM
I was a bit taken aback by the smoke clouds too when I made the jump from PS3 to PS4. It is occasionally hard to pick out which ship you're aiming at through the smoke, but I've gotten used to it. Plus, if you're decently upgraded, it doesn't even matter anyway, you can wreck man o' war's with like two mortar shots and a broadside.

Kirokill
01-29-2014, 06:08 AM
I was a bit taken aback by the smoke clouds too when I made the jump from PS3 to PS4. It is occasionally hard to pick out which ship you're aiming at through the smoke, but I've gotten used to it. Plus, if you're decently upgraded, it doesn't even matter anyway, you can wreck man o' war's with like two mortar shots and a broadside.

Yeah the smoke was annoying, destroying 3 galleons ain't hard your ship becomes overpowered when you upgrade it.
About the mortars, I find it too, weak.

LoyalACFan
01-29-2014, 06:09 AM
About the mortars, I find it too, weak.

Eh? The elite ones can disable a frigate in two shots.

Kirokill
01-29-2014, 06:14 AM
I see, it's almost the last thing I upgrade, I'm too basic I just go and shoot broadside and heavy shots. I always forget about the mortars despite it's the best way to catch a ship from afar.

dbzk1999
01-29-2014, 07:13 AM
And people say this game is too easy

Aphex_Tim
01-29-2014, 12:00 PM
Wait, you have to actually work to win battles at sea? Preposterous!

HolyBudz
01-29-2014, 02:38 PM
Thanks guys im hearing a lot of when you upgrade the ship its a lot easier, I have a few upgrades but iam pretty much at the start of the game so I got a long way to go. I do love the game though I just hate the missions with the ship battles cause I suck at them haha.

TristinBrowser
01-29-2014, 11:15 PM
Is it just me or do ship battles suck, I mean I can take down the little scrub ships but whenever it comes to a good fight you have to do to much, steer and pick which side of cannons your using at the same time + slowing down or speeding up, Then aiming....like wtf, and most of the time when your fighting a higher lvl ship there's multiple little ones around them and you lose sight of them in gunpowder smoke and cant tell what ship your aiming at....I dunno feedback anyone?

that s what it was like back then.....Not to mention weather....lots seaman died by accendents too...It wasn t easy thoughs days..trying be helpfull.

IWGCJoeCool
01-30-2014, 02:02 AM
Thanks guys im hearing a lot of when you upgrade the ship its a lot easier, I have a few upgrades but iam pretty much at the start of the game so I got a long way to go. I do love the game though I just hate the missions with the ship battles cause I suck at them haha.

it gets easier, especially as you at least upgrade the ship armor. if you are worrying about getting disoriented in the fog of smoke, try picking out the one big ship to worry about from a distance, use the Spyglass, and put an X(button PS3) mark on it....you'll alwayd have the marker blip on screen until you are done with it.

dirtydad
01-30-2014, 01:55 PM
Im in the same boat.Pun.Im just starting Raise the Black Flag.Just sailing out from Port and im told to take down Brig for 70 metal.I sail and attack the ship but every time I get smoked.The other ships attack so Im done.I tried visiting other islands etc but I can't upgrade ship.I have tried everything.Thanks

Kirokill
01-30-2014, 02:19 PM
it gets easier, especially as you at least upgrade the ship armor. if you are worrying about getting disoriented in the fog of smoke, try picking out the one big ship to worry about from a distance, use the Spyglass, and put an X(button PS3) mark on it....you'll alwayd have the marker blip on screen until you are done with it.

The problem with the smoke is I can't see where I'm aiming my cannons.

IWGCJoeCool
01-31-2014, 02:38 AM
The problem with the smoke is I can't see where I'm aiming my cannons.

try the whole "aiming" part when you still have a fair distance from the enemy ships, before the smoke gets thick in your vicinity, that's what they are for. once you are in close, just give 'em unaimed Heavy Shot broadsides for maxx carnage,

another "problem" you will have early on is the on-deck Swivel Cannons....holding the Triangle(PS3) to "focus" them before letting go...after you have upgraded them, you only need hold the button down, and it will take all the targets down in sequence.

all good reasons to do some side missions, and free sailing to sink/plunder/earn money and materials, and visit all the locations possible for maps.

jeffies04
01-31-2014, 07:24 AM
On my last playthrough and this one I am upgrading my ship's armor pretty high, but my weapons I'm keeping them scaled back. I want a little bit of a challenge when I go into a naval battle. I don't like firing a few shots and being able to take down half the Royal Navy.

As far as the smoke goes it was annoying for me at first, but I looked up some Youtube videos of 18th century cannons, and they do smoke like hell and having 20 of them firing at once on a broadside is gonna make a lot of smoke... so I felt better about it and I'm used to it now.

Kirokill
01-31-2014, 07:47 PM
try the whole "aiming" part when you still have a fair distance from the enemy ships, before the smoke gets thick in your vicinity, that's what they are for. once you are in close, just give 'em unaimed Heavy Shot broadsides for maxx carnage,

another "problem" you will have early on is the on-deck Swivel Cannons....holding the Triangle(PS3) to "focus" them before letting go...after you have upgraded them, you only need hold the button down, and it will take all the targets down in sequence.

all good reasons to do some side missions, and free sailing to sink/plunder/earn money and materials, and visit all the locations possible for maps.

Thanks for the tips man but I already finished the PS3 version before starting the PS4 one, and I liked the naval since AC3. Things get pretty easy now. Thanks for the smoke tip again.

ACLexter
02-10-2014, 09:11 AM
I actually enjoy the thick smoke after the canon shots :D

Alphacos007
02-12-2014, 01:32 AM
Just like ACLexter, I actually enjoy all the smoke after the shots. Even when I'm not in battle I keep firing the chase cannons just for the smoke lol.

ACLexter
02-12-2014, 01:15 PM
Just like ACLexter, I actually enjoy all the smoke after the shots. Even when I'm not in battle I keep firing the chase cannons just for the smoke lol.
Before I rescue a crew, I fire at them first :D:D

Alphacos007
02-13-2014, 06:46 PM
Before I rescue a crew, I fire at them first :D:D

YOU MURDERER!

I usually try to run them over as they're automatically collected when you do that :p

Anyways, back to the topic, I actually found the ship battles way too easy once the Jackdaw has enough upgrades. Except for the Impoluto, which killed me once, I defeated all other legendary ships without much of a struggle.

starkmojo
02-24-2014, 10:16 PM
I had the same problem at first, that brig smoked me more often than a carton of pall malls till I got the hang of it. I went out and took on some schooners to get practice which helped. Early I the game is as close to the real deal of period piracy you will get in the game: a schooner could really hurt you, and a military brig is chancy battle at best. Just remember when outgunned the key to winning is to stay out of his broadsides but keep him in yours. If you start seeing the side of his ship you have two choices when his guns are better than your hull: turn away from him to keep out of range ( try slow, turn, speed to travel it seems to lower their ability to hit you. Or turn into him and hope he doesn't smoke you before you get your guns on him. Don't slow to turn or you'll be a sitting duck when he comes at you. The advantage of scenario 2 is you will quickly find yourself stating at the transom with your guns loaded; when that happens give me holy hell and try and stay there as he turns: with a full crew you should get 2-4 broadsides off before he breaks off. The other trick with brigs is to get them right on your ***, slow down so they try and ram you and drop a fire barrel I their lap. Keep at it it gets easier.

rcole_sooner
02-24-2014, 10:35 PM
Yep, at first the ship battles seemed really hard and frustrating. By the end of the game the ship battles were some of my favorite parts of the game ... and I liked almost every part of the game.