PDA

View Full Version : Please add the option to go back to the "claw"

BandicootBeav
01-27-2014, 03:26 PM
I don't know about anyone else but I am really fed up with the 1 button free running. I feel like I have less control and Edward and Connor don't actually go where I want them to, I want to climb up this wall but no because i'm close to the edge they go into cover, or jump 10 feet in the air when I only wanted them to drop safely onto a lower ledge. It was so much easier to control in the previous game. Surely adding in a secondary control option cant be that hard? All first person shooters have them, bf4 has like 4 different control set ups for solider and vehicles. This way everyone will be happy.

Please make this happen in the next AC as it really bothers me. Anyone else feel this way?

bitebug2003
01-27-2014, 04:01 PM
I do.

Controls will always be an issue of AC and the more environment they add the more problematic it becomes, with the worst coming to a complete stop while free running over beams and roof tops (mainly when I'm in pursuit of someone).

I don't mind the 'double jump' but I do find it annoying if I'm on a building and I want to drop down to the floor, they latch on to EVERYTHING that can be latched on to on the way down, or in the case of ships, trying to drop down to the horizontal masts from the top and end up jumping past them and falling (causing desynchronization in most cases).

Standing at the edge of a building and it clearly has the option to 'Drop' but instead they just stand there motionless peering over the edge (mainly if I'm in pursuit of someone)

Please bring back the X/A button so that they don't run up a wall when I'm free running around the streets it's annoying.

adventurewomen
01-27-2014, 04:03 PM
I miss RT + A :(

I would like to see this control come back as well.

BandicootBeav
01-27-2014, 04:19 PM
I have a don't try and fix what actually isn't broken view when it comes to things like this. Like how frustrating it was unfogging the map in AC3, that was fixed in AC4. To be honest the only time I die whilst playing AC if I accidently jump off a to high building when I didn't even want to do that. More so in the last 2 games with this. I remember Alex Hucthinson saying it was a 'safe' free running. For me no, just no lol.

AssassinHMS
01-27-2014, 04:26 PM
Iím afraid that you donít quite understand the type of game youíre playing...

Your idea doesnít fit into Ubisoftís strategy. This franchise is about crappy gameplay meant to be enjoyed whilst drinking coffee in a calm and relaxed manner. So, when you play Assassinís Creed, do so with the intent of emptying your brain and make sure you surrender any deep thoughts to the sheer ďfunĒ of killing thousands of people in a choreographed and totally impractical way.
Again, donít take Assassinís Creed seriously (no one does), this franchise is about mindless joy, not about improving itself.

Rugterwyper32
01-27-2014, 04:27 PM
Frankly, I'd like mixing up both. I certainly like being able to control the camera while sprinting around, and I like having control of my speed depending on how much pressure I put on the trigger, but at least making it so you need to use A to initiate climbing would certainly be a good choice (seeing how having initiate climb mixed in with sprinting can lead to some undesired results). The only things I'd like to see return beyond that is making it so B is back to grabbing ledges further away after a jump, maybe have RT+B to jump down rather than further forward if on roofs and have it brought back for the tackle.
But certainly keep sprinting with only RT and pressure sensitive triggers. I like having camera controls.

BandicootBeav
01-27-2014, 04:33 PM
Frankly, I'd like mixing up both. I certainly like being able to control the camera while sprinting around, and I like having control of my speed depending on how much pressure I put on the trigger, but at least making it so you need to use A to initiate climbing would certainly be a good choice (seeing how having initiate climb mixed in with sprinting can lead to some undesired results). The only things I'd like to see return beyond that is making it so B is back to grabbing ledges further away after a jump, maybe have RT+B to jump down rather than further forward if on roofs and have it brought back for the tackle.
But certainly keep sprinting with only RT and pressure sensitive triggers. I like having camera controls.

Controlling the camera was never that troublesome for me in AC1-R because I was 90% on rooftops so I know where im going, plus after playing the games to death I know my way around all the cities no problem. Having both control options in the game will please everyone, simple :)

Rugterwyper32
01-27-2014, 04:39 PM
Controlling the camera was never that troublesome for me in AC1-R because I was 90% on rooftops so I know where im going, plus after playing the games to death I know my way around all the cities no problem. Having both control options in the game will please everyone, simple :)

I can agree with that. I didn't have a problem with camera controls either in previous games, but I just prefer that extra control I had when moving around faster. Of course, there's issues that the current system has, undoubtedly, but that's what I'd like for them to take care of. Namely the stuff I mentioned which I think would help with that one. But having the option for both sounds like the ideal, just like the one good thing Resident Evil 5 did which gave you the option between 3 different control schemes depending on how you preferred playing.

LoyalACFan
01-27-2014, 04:50 PM
Agreed with OP. I liked the feature of "safe" freerunning by holding only the trigger in AC3 when we were navigating asymmetrical/irregular tree branches in AC3 so we didn't go flying off the branches, but if we're making the transition back to urban environments (which I hope we are) it has kind of outlived its usefulness. Like bitebug said, it's much less precise now and the characters have a tendency to stick to everything nearby, making traversal somewhat irritating at times, especially in areas with lots of small objects on the ground (i.e. barrels, chests, market stands, etc.)

DynaRider
01-27-2014, 05:15 PM
Last night I was also swearing at the controls in AC4. I have a problem when chasing or trying to escape and you climb a building or wall and when Edward gets to the top he just hangs there and won't finish the climb. It takes an extra push on the control stick or moving him slightly left or right before he will grunt and climb on up to the top. Also having him stop at the edge when he should just jump is a real irritant. One of the worst places is during ship board combat when Edward is on top of a stack of cargo covered with a canvas (usually where a couple of officers you need to kill are usually standing. If they jump off the stack and you try to follow them Edward will normally just stick when he gets to the edge instead of jumping off. While free running has improved a lot it's still highly irritating to have Edward jumping on and trying to climb everything in sight and jumping from one piling to another in the harbors will usually result in at least on fall into the water. Speaking of ship board combat, why does Edward just jump from one foe to another without killing anyone? It's especially irritating when he only needs one more kill to capture the ship and he starts whacking several different people before he finally kills one. I've found that using a smoke bomb will normally cause him to kill one enemy before moving on to another. And that brings up yet another irritant. Why is it so hard to get him to drop a smoke bomb in combat? And trying to switch from a pistol to smoke bombs is going to get him whacked several times or killed before you can get switched.

SixKeys
01-27-2014, 05:38 PM
Agreed. I much prefer the old parkour controls. The new one is okay for treerunning, but in cities it's a pain in the neck.

LoyalACFan
01-27-2014, 05:47 PM
I remember everyone was praising the new controls shortly after AC3 came out, saying that the new layout allowed them to move the camera while running. And I remember thinking 1.) just slip your index finger down there and hold the trigger with your middle finger and 2.) why would you need to see in any direction but forward when you're running anyway?

BandicootBeav
01-27-2014, 07:30 PM
I remember everyone was praising the new controls shortly after AC3 came out, saying that the new layout allowed them to move the camera while running. And I remember thinking 1.) just slip your index finger down there and hold the trigger with your middle finger and 2.) why would you need to see in any direction but forward when you're running anyway?

Aha I was cursing it after a day xD but got used to it. Going back to the older games is like heaven. Exactly I only need to look straight ahead of me, plus knowing the layout of the cities means I don't need to control the camera.

Rugterwyper32
01-27-2014, 07:42 PM
Maybe the fact I've tried a HUDless run for each game has an effect on why I prefer having camera controls. I prefer surveying my surroundings on the go, and whenever I did HUDless runs of previous games there was a lot of stop and go action if something got in my way rather than constantly moving the camera on the go to figure out where the location I was heading towards was while I kept moving.
That, and I just like being constantly on the move with dramatic angles, it's cool.

LoyalACFan
01-27-2014, 09:45 PM
Maybe the fact I've tried a HUDless run for each game has an effect on why I prefer having camera controls. I prefer surveying my surroundings on the go, and whenever I did HUDless runs of previous games there was a lot of stop and go action if something got in my way rather than constantly moving the camera on the go to figure out where the location I was heading towards was while I kept moving.
That, and I just like being constantly on the move with dramatic angles, it's cool.

I play HUDless too most of the time, but I usually just take my time to explore, I'm hardly ever running or climbing when I'm checking out the city. I'll climb somewhere with a good view, stop, pan the camera around, etc. and then just walk through the streets a little.

BATISTABUS
01-27-2014, 09:47 PM
I understand the benefits of the old control scheme, but I just really love vaulting. Perhaps if they mapped it to another button? Just general control customization would be nice.

Sabuto78
01-27-2014, 09:49 PM
Meh it aint THAT bad in ac4 but in ac3 its god awful

But ya old way was better by far

@Dynarider: Agree

LoyalACFan
01-27-2014, 09:55 PM
I understand the benefits of the old control scheme, but I just really love vaulting. Perhaps if they mapped it to another button? Just general control customization would be nice.

There's no need to remap it, just make the Assassin automatically vault over small things like fences and logs. It's not like you can vault over anything that would actually be useful to stand on. What purpose does balance-beaming on a fence serve? In fact, that would actually solve part of the "sticky" free-running problem. I hate when Edward randomly jumps on top of fences, chests, or market stands. Just make it so that you can't actually stand on those things (since it's pointless anyway) and make the vaulting animations part of standard free-running.

lothario-da-be
01-27-2014, 09:59 PM
I don't mind the current controls, i just want free-running to be more engaging. I want to feel like I have to do the input and then Edward does something. Now its just all automatic. If they would use more different buttons to freerun it would be better imo.

BATISTABUS
01-27-2014, 10:18 PM
There's no need to remap it, just make the Assassin automatically vault over small things like fences and logs. It's not like you can vault over anything that would actually be useful to stand on. What purpose does balance-beaming on a fence serve? In fact, that would actually solve part of the "sticky" free-running problem. I hate when Edward randomly jumps on top of fences, chests, or market stands. Just make it so that you can't actually stand on those things (since it's pointless anyway) and make the vaulting animations part of standard free-running.
That could work. Maybe a running start would force you to vault it, but walking to it lets you climb/perch it?

LoyalACFan
01-27-2014, 10:24 PM
That could work. Maybe a running start would force you to vault it, but walking to it lets you climb/perch it?

Yeah, something like that.

Aphex_Tim
01-27-2014, 10:30 PM
I prefer the new controls. It was always really awkward in the previous games to hold the trigger with my middle finger while holding X with my index finger so I could freerun while controlling the camera. With this control scheme, I won't have to anymore. Just needed to adapt a little. If I wanna run but not climb buildings, I'll hold the trigger halfway (or in PS3's case, push the stick halfway). If I'm in corner cover and want to climb up, I press X. If I want to drop down onto a lower ledge, I hold the trigger and press or hold the drop button, depending on if I'm standing or running.

LoyalACFan
01-27-2014, 10:39 PM
I prefer the new controls. It was always really awkward in the previous games to hold the trigger with my middle finger while holding X with my index finger so I could freerun while controlling the camera.

Hold X with your thumb, put your index finger on the camera ;) That's how I used to play if I really wanted to move the camera around for whatever reason.

BandicootBeav
01-27-2014, 11:01 PM
I must be one of the few people who was never bothered by not being able to move the camera whilst sprinting xD Tis why we need the option for both control schemes. Then we are all happy.

projectpat06
01-28-2014, 02:48 AM
not sure if this has been said, but there's no need for the "claw" anymore with the ps4 controller. you can easily control the speed of the sprint. Plus, if you have the "claw", you cant vault running full speed. Bringing the "claw" back would also ruin the tree running causing the assassin to jump off the tree every time

AlmightySteveO
01-28-2014, 02:55 AM
Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets annoyed at these controls. They feel so clumsy :(

The auto target has even forced me to assassinate fellow pirates instead of the soldier I was running at. Then there are the times when I can't untarget a corpse so Edward just shakes his swords angrily at a dead guy while his back gets shredded.

Not to mention getting stuck on ladders, doors, barrels, rails, ledges, walls, and on one rare occasion a clothes line.

BandicootBeav
01-28-2014, 02:59 AM
not sure if this has been said, but there's no need for the "claw" anymore with the ps4 controller. you can easily control the speed of the sprint. Plus, if you have the "claw", you cant vault running full speed. Bringing the "claw" back would also ruin the tree running causing the assassin to jump off the tree every time

Its not the speed of running that bothers me, I just prefer the older system as I feel I have more control, and it wouldn't ruin tree running still use rt, r2 to run along branches.You don't sprint in trees -_- lol. Nothing wrong with having BOTH options in the game. That's the point I'm trying to make. Not getting rid of the current control completely. It worked perfectly imo for 4 games.

LUR21
01-28-2014, 11:11 AM
Yeah I felt that there was more technique involved with the claw. Especially with climbing and running through a crowd. As in if you ran through a crow at full pelt you would fall over so you had to press R1 and circle to barge through. The way it is now just feels so automated and there is no sort of challenge with it I find.

Also so I would love for them to bring back the grab option. It was good to grab people like the minstrel and give him a headbutt or a knee.

Aphex_Tim
01-28-2014, 12:59 PM
Hold X with your thumb, put your index finger on the camera ;) That's how I used to play if I really wanted to move the camera around for whatever reason.

That's even less comfortable to me than holding X with my index finger and putting my thumb on the camera :p
Honestly, I feel like the new control scheme gives me the same amount of control, perhaps even more, just with less buttons. Though an option to have the "claw" control scheme back wouldn't hurt anyone, I just wouldn't use it.

BandicootBeav
01-28-2014, 01:27 PM
Also why was the wall run jump removed, by that I mean running straight up a wall and jumping left or right to reach a higher ledge, simple parkour really so why has that been removed? :/

Aphex_Tim
01-28-2014, 04:16 PM
...it wasn't? At least, I can still do it...

Fatal-Feit
01-28-2014, 04:22 PM
I don't know. I prefer the new control scheme. It allows for more a comfortable play and better accuracy when climbing.

BandicootBeav
01-28-2014, 04:29 PM
...it wasn't? At least, I can still do it...

No you cant just loaded up AC4, running up a wall and it wont let me jump sideways or backwards.

NAVID4ASSASSIN
01-28-2014, 06:27 PM
well actualiy, i like the new freeruning system and some nice additions to the gameplay like jumping over the obstacles by holding x or crouching on the ground after a free jump but running made more sense fore me when i had to hold x with R1.

LoyalACFan
01-28-2014, 06:51 PM
I think people are getting too hung up on the new aesthetic features that were ushered in with the new freerunning. Things like vaulting and sliding could still be there with a two-button system. And the new, more organic animations could stay too.

LUR21
01-29-2014, 05:18 AM
I think people are getting too hung up on the new aesthetic features that were ushered in with the new freerunning. Things like vaulting and sliding could still be there with a two-button system. And the new, more organic animations could stay too.

This. Agreed

i think that bringing back the claw option and when sprinting along with R1 and X approaching a fence or etc. you still do the new vaulting technique. Same goes for sliding under fences with gaps. Tree running could still be just R1 for that safe mode when tree running. Even in the old games when you were on a rooftop if you still just pressed R1 only you would not go over the edge. So I still see that as a safe mode. Also just liked how climbing building in the past games had like a mini puzzle as in you had to go certain routes to get to the top. Now it's just sort of push one button and don't think about plotting a course and scaling the building with little challenge.