PDA

View Full Version : Best DLC ? TOKW or Freedom Cry ?

MasterAssasin84
01-25-2014, 12:43 PM
As it says in the Title.

I was a little bit disappointed with Freedom Cry and in my opinion TOKW was far more engaging .

What are your thoughts ?

Aphex_Tim
01-25-2014, 12:54 PM
I prefer Tyranny as well. I loved Freedom Cry in terms of gameplay but storywise, I expected a little more from it. It's basically just Adewale shipwrecking somewhere, freeing a bunch of slaves, then leaving again. The fact that he was an Assassin didn't even matter here.

Edit: Not saying it didn't have it's moments though. The part with the sinking slave ship was pretty engaging in multiple ways.

MasterAssasin84
01-25-2014, 12:59 PM
I prefer Tyranny as well. I loved Freedom Cry in terms of gameplay but storywise, I expected a little more from it. It's basically just Adewale shipwrecking somewhere, freeing a bunch of slaves, then leaving again. The fact that he was an Assassin didn't even matter here.

This was exactly what i found ! He speaking of the brotherhood but he seemed to be more interested in freeing slaves ? it was though his true motives towards the end just changed ? it just did not feel like Assassins Creed plot !

itsamea-mario
01-25-2014, 01:07 PM
The Da Vinci Disappearance.

Sabuto78
01-25-2014, 02:00 PM
gg

Pandassin
01-25-2014, 04:12 PM
I preferred ToKW. The story was a lot more interesting, as well as the missions, and the new gameplay elements were fun. Plus, I prefer Ratonhnhaké:ton as a character than Adéwalé, he just interests me more.

I did like Freedom Cry though, just not that much.

adventurewomen
01-25-2014, 04:16 PM
I prefer ToKW, everything about this DLC was immerse, diverse story, and I just loved every single moment of it.

Both of these DLC's a great but it's hard to compare them.

Kirokill
01-25-2014, 04:38 PM
I didn't play ToKW but I found it more interesting with the animal power from that magical drink or drug. And the boss, with extra power. Haha I miss bosses like this.

poptartz20
01-25-2014, 05:32 PM
I haven't played Freedom Cry as of yet..

But from experience I really Enjoyed ToKW. but at this point I cannon compare them.

TorQue1988
01-25-2014, 05:52 PM
The Da Vinci Disappearance.
Agreed!

SpiritOfNevaeh
01-25-2014, 05:56 PM
Even though I haven't played Freedom Cry, I would most likely choose TOKW because it was more involved, new features added to it, and simply fun :) And considering the experience was canon, that might mean that Ubisoft is experimenting with something they might bring to future games of the franchise…

Billiam301
01-25-2014, 06:13 PM
Freedom Cry was better value for money

dbzk1999
01-25-2014, 06:55 PM
U can't compare tyranny to freedom cry
I mean how can u when tokw has 3 episodes based around it

silvermercy
01-25-2014, 07:01 PM
ToKW. It's the only DLC I have ever bought actually.

(I especially liked the superpowers and the mind-trip)

SpiritOfNevaeh
01-25-2014, 07:03 PM
ToKW. It's the only DLC I have ever bought actually.

Same!

Shahkulu101
01-25-2014, 07:09 PM
Loved Freedom Cry, a very memorable experience for me. I just wish it was a bit longer, it could have stretched into around 8-9 hours I think - yes I know I'm naive.

TOKW was interesting but muddled from a narrative standpoint, and the short length of each episode absolutely did not constitute the price. For all three episodes it was almost the price of a full game which was frankly ludicrous. However, playing as Connor was enjoyable to play as again and powers were very fun.

SixKeys
01-25-2014, 07:33 PM
Da Vinci Disappearance is the best. Out of the two choices given, definitely Freedom Cry.

frodrigues55
01-26-2014, 12:00 AM
Yeah, Da Vinci is great. Freedom Cry is also beautiful, some of the main sequences are amongst the best from AC IMO, both story and gameplaywise.

I'm one of the people who really appreciated AC3 but I hated TOKW. Worst AC experience ever, I never want to play that again. The whole superpower thing is not my cup of tea. And walking around the streets was really really annoying. I had to force myself to reach its end.

Fatal-Feit
01-26-2014, 12:14 AM
I'm one of the people who really appreciated AC3 but I hated TOKW. Worst AC experience ever, I never want to play that again. The whole superpower thing is not my cup of tea. And walking around the streets was really really annoying. I had to force myself to reach its end.

Mid-way, I felt almost the same way too, haha! I don't despise TOKW, though. It offered me about 12 hours of gameplay and I really did enjoy the superpowers. It did a great job of mixing up the formula, although combat and navigation would have been better if they mapped the superpowers differently. Or had at least improved the weapon wheel, considering the superpowers take up 80% of the D-PAD.

@Thread; Freedom Cry > TOKW / Da Vinci's Disappearance

Zafar1981
01-26-2014, 12:29 AM
Da Vinci's Disappearance is the best DLC

Kagurra
01-26-2014, 12:45 AM
Anything but TOKW.

frodrigues55
01-26-2014, 01:19 AM
Mid-way, I felt almost the same way too, haha! I don't despise TOKW, though. It offered me about 12 hours of gameplay and I really did enjoy the superpowers. It did a great job of mixing up the formula, although combat and navigation would have been better if they mapped the superpowers differently. Or had at least improved the weapon wheel, considering the superpowers take up 80% of the D-PAD.

I thought the first sequences were quite beautiful and interesting, but then the whole superpower stuff came up and it really ruined for me :p I think they made some tweaks to combat/guards/detection so you wouldn't be too overpowered, but instead, it just made the whole thing annoying and frustrating IMO. I got so tired of touching the ground and having to fight 500 guards each corner, that I literally flew my way through the whole game with that eagle power. It got boring quickly.

I can see how people enjoyed the change in formula, but I hope they never do this again lol. I rather have them focusing on telling new stories, instead of putting me inside some sort of magical world.

adventurewomen
01-26-2014, 01:47 AM
Did you not enjoy the Frontier in ToKW?

The powers were great, being able to shape-shifting into a wolf, eagle & bear was great, those powers were useful since ToKW is set after the events of AC3 - ToKW is Connor's dream.

Toa TAK
01-26-2014, 02:04 AM
Since the thread is asking to choose between Freedom Cry or ToKW, I'm going to go with Tyranny. Really enjoyed it overall, and I was expecting a bit more from Freedom Cry's story.

I just wish Tyranny didn't get split into three parts.

Fatal-Feit
01-26-2014, 02:11 AM
I thought the first sequences were quite beautiful and interesting, but then the whole superpower stuff came up and it really ruined for me :p I think they made some tweaks to combat/guards/detection so you wouldn't be too overpowered, but instead, it just made the whole thing annoying and frustrating IMO. I got so tired of touching the ground and having to fight 500 guards each corner, that I literally flew my way through the whole game with that eagle power. It got boring quickly.

I can see how people enjoyed the change in formula, but I hope they never do this again lol. I rather have them focusing on telling new stories, instead of putting me inside some sort of magical world.

Yeah, AC:3 has a broken stealth system. Thankfully they attempted to balance it with superpowers, but some smart-*** decided it was a good idea to beef up the already telekinetic AIs'. I can understand why some you wouldn't enjoy the whole superpower thing. I wouldn't either, but with all the first civilization appearances and laser guns, I could care less. At least TOKW made some use of it in gameplay. Plus, Connor looks like a badass with those sexy glowing blue eyes.--No homo, of course.

The powers were great, being able to shape-shifting into a wolf, eagle & bear was great, those powers were useful since ToKW is set after the events of AC3 - ToKW is Connor's dream.

The Frontier is pretty ugly in TOKW. I don't know if they remodeled the snow or whatever but it definitely wasn't like that in the original game. I ran it on max settings, but it still looks like it's something that came straight out of a PS2 game. The Wolf Powers made up for it, though.

E-Zekiel
01-26-2014, 02:21 AM
While in general I very, very much disliked AC3, I actually really liked Tyranny of King Washington. I feel that Connor as a character actually grew and adapted and learned in this one, whereas in the original narrative, he never seemed to develop into a wiser person.

I liked Freedom Cry a lot, but I feel that it suffered from the same problems AC3 did. While I liked the protagonist, it didn't really feel like story so much as there was a reciting of events without an overarching lesson, or anything artistically compelling. It was fun, and the story wasn't terrible, it just wasn't that compelling.

Between the two, Tyranny of King Washington I liked better than Freedom Cry, but let me be clear that I dislike AC3 and ACIV is far superior.

adventurewomen
01-26-2014, 02:21 AM
The Frontier is pretty ugly in TOKW. I don't know if they remodeled the snow or whatever but it definitely wasn't like that in the original game. I ran it on max settings, but it still looks like it's something that came straight out of a PS2 game. The Wolf Powers made up for it, though.
Going to have to respectfully disagree with you on that one..

I have played ToKW on my PC w/ max settings as well, I thought the Frontier in ToKW was beautiful especially in The Infamy episode.

While in general I very, very much disliked AC3, I actually really liked Tyranny of King Washington. I feel that Connor as a character actually grew and adapted and learned in this one, whereas in the original narrative, he never seemed to develop into a wiser person..
Well ToKW is Connor's dream after the events of AC3 - Connor became wise after AC3 and this reflected in ToKW his (subconscious mind)..

silvermercy
01-26-2014, 02:34 AM
I even liked ToKW better than AC3. lol I dunno... I really liked the atmosphere (more ominous) and the powers which were well-explained and appropriate IMO. I definitely liked the change. I don't think it can be repeated though, it would only make sense in Connor's story.

SixKeys
01-26-2014, 02:51 AM
I actually liked the Frontier in ToKW, at least compared with the main game. It was darker and more oppressive with all those dead soldiers around, and the winter setting (which we only got to experience once or twice in the main game) made it feel a bit more fresh. The Wolf Cloak made working around the broken AI more tolerable. The other two episodes were a pain in the *** though, I hated having to quickly switch between powers with that counter-intuitive weapon wheel.

SixKeys
01-26-2014, 02:53 AM
BTW, one thing that never made sense was those Desmond fragments we found in ToKW. If the whole thing was a shared dream between Connor and Washington, how did either of them know about Desmond?

SixKeys
01-26-2014, 02:58 AM
I liked Freedom Cry a lot, but I feel that it suffered from the same problems AC3 did. While I liked the protagonist, it didn't really feel like story so much as there was a reciting of events without an overarching lesson, or anything artistically compelling. It was fun, and the story wasn't terrible, it just wasn't that compelling.

I feel completely the opposite about Freedom Cry. It had its share of problems for sure, but the story it told was in some ways even more compelling than AC4's main story. Instead of going after riches and adventures, Adewale was always focused on freeing slaves and every gameplay mechanic was tied to this narrative. Doing the same random events over and over again was frustrating but at the same time it strengthened the narrative thread about the ultimate futility of Ade's quest. You could never free every slave, there would always be more. This was made most clear in the section with the sinking ship. I liked that the gameplay and storytelling supported each other like that. ToKW felt a lot more disjointed and confusing. Even after the end "reveal" it wasn't really clear what the whole thing had been and what it had to do with the overall AC universe. It felt like a weird acid trip with nothing to say.

aL_____eX
01-26-2014, 03:57 AM
I don't know which one was the best, it's close between Freedom Cry and The Da Vinci Disappearance, but one thing is for sure - it definitely wasn't The Lost Archive. This DLC was just... I have no words to describe what I felt playing this.

I did also like ToKW a lot, but for me it just became to weird after a while.

LoyalACFan
01-26-2014, 07:56 AM
It felt like a weird acid trip with nothing to say.

Ha, best way of describing TOKW I've ever heard :p The second and third acts at least. I actually liked the first episode pretty well, since it somewhat made up for the lack of Native American content in core AC3, but then the quality dropped off and the novelty of animal powers quickly disappeared. Plus, the actual abilities just got less cool as the episodes progressed. I mean, summoning a pack of ghost wolves to do my bidding was badass. Then being able to flit about the city as an eagle was meh, it kinda takes the fun out of exploration. Then the bear shockwave thing... Ugh. We were already overpowered enough without a one-button insta-win that kills every enemy on the block.

But yeah, as you said, I didn't really get the point of TOKW, or what it was trying to say. That Washington was a weak-willed turd of a leader, and Connor was his moral superior? 'Cuz we kinda already knew that.

frodrigues55
01-26-2014, 11:45 AM

Is the gameplay any different from the main game? I mean, it's cool to look at it at first, with all the destruction and death around. But I didn't enjoy playing it once that was passed because I hate everything about the gameplay/power stuff. And I hated those damn dogs spread around.

Yeah, dream or not, having superpowers is not why I play AC so I hated when my AC game was flooded with that. I like exploring, walking within cities blended with the crowd. It's impossible to do that in TOKW. Like I said, not my cup of tea.

PS - I might be wrong, but I don't think that was Connor dreaming. As far as I understood, the whole DLC was the Apple showing Connor and Washington what would've happened if he got corrupted by it. The ending was nice, I will give that.

Kirokill
01-26-2014, 10:20 PM
The Lost Archive. This DLC was just... I have no words to describe what I felt playing this.

This is the farm I lived in, and they were shouting on me: You are an assassin! You are an assassin!!!
It is certainly undescribeable :P

Anyone has a link on the what the Da Vinci Disappearance? All I know it includes killing jester standing on their hands.

Shahkulu101
01-26-2014, 10:26 PM
The Lost Archive was artistically compelling, it just didn't belong in an AC game. Neither did Amanci - the man who must not be spoken of.

SixKeys
01-26-2014, 10:31 PM
This is the farm I lived in, and they were shouting on me: You are an assassin! You are an assassin!!!
It is certainly undescribeable :P

Anyone has a link on the what the Da Vinci Disappearance? All I know it includes killing jester standing on their hands.

In The Da Vinci Disappearance Leonardo is kidnapped by the Hermetics (secret sect) because they think he can crack some code they're looking for. Ezio has to save him and in the process finds out the code is actually meant for Desmond (co-ordinates for the location of Juno's Temple). It's not that long, about the same length as the AC2 DLCs, but it has some good missions.

BATISTABUS
01-27-2014, 06:55 PM
I...

don't know. :confused:

bitebug2003
01-30-2014, 11:22 PM
My thoughts on both

The Tyranny of King Washington

I've played through The Infamy and The Betrayal and just started The Redemption but have to say in all 3 DLC's the enemy count is way over the top, which really hampers my enjoyment of this mini story (which I'm quite enjoying) as it's no fun getting encounters almost everywhere you go.
The amount of Lock-pickable chests were also way too much and most of the contents were useless as my inventory was full
Side missions were ok but a bit repetitive especially as you're doing them in all the DLC.
I did like the animal spirit powers which did bring in an interesting strategic element in how to approach each mission.
Constraints so far were hit and miss - pretty much the same tedium as the ones in the main game.
As a completionist I'm completing everything the DLC's have to offer including picking all the locked chests even if the controls were starting to hurt my fingers.

Freedom Cry

Freedom Cry DLC was OK
Story was OK
Content was Good
Music wasn't to my taste - it was alright
I didn't really like Adewale in AC4 - he seemed to have his own agenda and to an extent this carried over to the DLC.
I did like the different objectives even if I've REALLY come to hate tail/eavesdrop missions (the circle around the eavesdrop missions is ANNOYING)

As I mentioned in my initial impressions - the AI seemed unpredictable and unrealistic at time - this really put a dent in my overall enjoyment of the DLC

Despite both having their pros and cons I'd have to say that I preferred The Tyranny of King Washington (story was remarkably better overall)

TheWhiteTigeRR
01-31-2014, 03:42 PM
Aren't there more episodes or at least one more for freedom cry? I don't know, but in the menu it says "Freedom Cry Episode 1", so I was wondering...

LoyalACFan
01-31-2014, 04:24 PM
Aren't there more episodes or at least one more for freedom cry? I don't know, but in the menu it says "Freedom Cry Episode 1", so I was wondering...

Wait, what? Mine just says Freedom Cry...

adventurewomen
01-31-2014, 05:21 PM
Freedom Cry is one single DLC, there aren't any episodes for Freedom Cry.

bitebug2003
01-31-2014, 06:41 PM
Having finished The Redemption last night I'd definitely say The Tyranny of King Washington was my favourite.

The last 2 memories were great

More of 'that' in future AC's please :)